• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 15,065 Views, 1,210 Comments

A Heart So Cold - Onomonopia



What is a person without purpose? Without anything to cherish? What is a person whose heart is ice?

  • ...
74
 1,210
 15,065

A New Dawn

The first sign for Fluttershy that Victor was making progress was when he stopped counting the weeks he had been in Equestria and instead began to focus more on the work he was doing for the ponies. Most ponies now a days had forgotten that had tried to take of the crystal palace and now many only knew of him as a miracle worker, as it seemed that there was no sickness he couldn't cure or at least help lessen. Another sign for her that he had come along ways was that he no longer dreamed about the Batman and had stopped talking to himself. But that didn't mean she didn't worry about him.

"Are you sure that you're feeling alright today?" she asked him as he began mixing chemicals, not paying her too much mind as he focused on his work. She was used to this by now, as he hated to be interrupted when working, but she knew that he would answer her question when he was done. "None of the dreams or the voices talking to you again?"

"I am fine Fluttershy, thank you for asking," he eventually replied as he placed the medicine inside a container, placing the container inside of a box that was to be shipped to Canterlot. "The voices are gone and I no longer see...Nora in my sleep. Now I need to go mail this. You may come if you want." She smiled as she walked alongside him towards the post office, looking up at the sky as they left, still sad that the sky was gray. However, Twilight had promised her that she and the princesses were hard at work trying to come up with a new power source for Victor, so that he could eventually give back the crystal heart.

"I'm glad to see that all has been quiet as of late," she said with a smile as she looked around, the ponies waving to them as they passed. "With all the commotion that was caused with you showing up, I was beginning to think that things would never be quiet again. Glad to see I was wrong." Freeze nodded with no reply, but he did raise an eyebrow when he saw Cadence and Shining Armor off in the distance, Fluttershy waving to them as the two groups met up.

"I did not expect to see either of you here, considering how close to birth you should be getting," Freeze said as he looked down at Cadence's bump, Shining smiling awkwardly as Cadence looked down at the baby with love in her eyes. "You should be at home instead of wandering the streets."

"I'll consider it, doctor, but right now I need to check up on my number one mad scientist," Cadence said with a smile as she looked at the box that Freeze was carrying. "Is that the shipment for Canterlot?" Freeze nodded and opened up the box for her to see, Cadence looking inside with a smile before letting Victor close back up the box. "This is the fifth order that you've finished early "miracle worker." Just how do you do it?"

"It's not like I have any friends or family," Freeze said in his cold tone, Fluttershy frowning at that statement. Cadence then let out a sigh and leaned against Shining for support. "You should be at home resting. This constant activity is not helping you." Cadence waved him off as she got back to her hooves, giving Fluttershy a chance to speak.

"Um, have you decided on a name for it?" she asked them.

"We fairly certain of one, but we want to save it as a surprise," Shining said with a smile as he placed a hoof on Cadence's shoulder. "But if you excuse us, I think I'm going to take the doctor’s advice and get my wife home as soon as possible. See the two of you later. Oh and if you ever feel like returning the heart to the center of the city so it can recharge, that would be great. We don't want it running out of power." Freeze nodded as he walked past them, Fluttershy following him as they continued towards the office.

"Shouldn't you be heading back to Ponyville sometime soon?" Freeze asked her after a few minutes of silence, causing her to look up at him in surprise. "Your friends will be worried about you and if what you told me is correct, you have a number of animals to attend to. You do not need to observe me all of the time. I am fine."

"I-It's not that I'm observing you, it's...because I enjoy hanging out with you," she said softly as she hid behind her mane. Freeze said nothing in response, but he had noticed that out of all the ponies she seemed to be the only one that still held him no ill will over the events caused when he first arrived. "Plus, I enjoy seeing all of the miracles that you perform. Even Twilight has admitted to me that not even magic can do what you do with science."

"They are not miracles, they are just solutions to problems," he said with no emotion. "I am just glad to be able to help again with my research and knowledge, compared to all the times that I had to hurt or kill just to keep Nora alive. It is a side of me that will take some time getting rid of...if I can get rid of it at all." Fluttershy looked at the ground as he said this in thought, knowing that Victor was prone to outbursts of rage still.

"Um, Victor?" she said softly, Freeze turning to look down at her. "About what you said, how you have no family or friends? Um, if you want, this is all up to you, I could be your-" She stopped talking when she saw Freeze's eyes narrow and she turned to see what he was glaring at, but she could see nothing. Freeze on the other hand, could she a silver mare sitting on a bench by herself.

"Take this to the office," he said as he gave her the package. "I shall not be long." She watched him walk away in confusion, wondering if he was having illusions about Nora again. But the look in his eyes had been different, so she hoped that it was something different as she walked away. Victor walked over to the silver mare, who was looking into a pool with her blank eyes. "Care to tell me why you are here?" he asked her.

'Because you are getting close,' she said to him with a hidden smile, inviting him to sit beside her. 'You have shown that you are capable of compassion and selfless actions, meaning that you could very well be one of the champions. And you have finally let Nora go, finally freed yourself from that pain.'

"You still have yet to explain who these champions are," Freeze said coldly as he looked into the water, only seeing his reflection this time.

'The champions are those who have overcome great pain and weakness to rise greater than who they were before,' she explained with a smile as she looked at him. 'And I need only one more before I can finally put my plan into motion, the plan to save my home and all who I hold dear.'

"How many others are there?" Freeze asked, curious as to what she meant. He could understand her asking for help if her home was in danger, but to gather others with powers like him (he assumed) to protect it? Either she faced a powerful foe or she had no idea of what she was doing.

'There is the champion of lighting, the raging heroes, the dark knight, the masterful unicorn and the armored father,' she explained as she looked to him. 'And I believe that you are the last one. You are the human freed.'

"I have not freed myself yet," Freeze said with a sad sigh as he looked down at his hands. "There is still much that I need to atone for. So much pain that I have caused."

'But you are on the right track,' she said in a comforting tone as she stood up. 'You have shown that you can be good to good ponies, but your true final task will soon begin. I cannot tell you what it is, but hopefully you have learned from the ponies, one in particular, what you must do.'

"You cannot tell me?" freeze asked in an annoyed tone. "Why not?" The silver mare sighed as she looked up at the gray sky, wondering how to answer him.

'Because of you are the final champion, and I have no reason to doubt it, then you must fight this battle and overcome it on your own,' she said with a sad shake of her head. Freeze didn't like the answer and demanded that she tell him more, to which she sighed again and turned to face him. 'I had...a vision of sorts, a few weeks after I came into being. In it I saw my world, completely covered in darkness, with the queen of the world lying dead under a dark creatures feet. I saw many possible outcomes of how these events happened, but all of them ended the same way. In the death of my world. And then, like a cancer, it spread to other worlds and consumed them until there was darkness and only darkness.'

"And this is where your champions come into play?" Freeze asked, although he already knew the answer.

'In my vision, I saw that six unknown champions would come to the world’s defense, but I had no idea who they were or what race they were,' she said with a sad sigh as she looked up to the sky. 'All I knew about them was that I would find them in the least likely of creatures and that they would each reawaken a power long lost when they were found. I have found five of them after hundreds of others have been put to the test, but I know that you are the final one, because you are so similar to them.'

"And when all of these champions are together will the darkness be beaten?" Freeze asked, only to get the silver mare to shake her head.

'I do not know. The future cannot be completely predicted from visions and the bats have shown me that destiny and fate cannot be trusted. The final image of the vision is the six battling against the darkness,' she said. 'I know not if they prevail, but they...you are the only chance mine and many other worlds have. So I must ask this of you Freeze, will you help me when the time comes?' Freeze lowered his head and thought about it for a moment, before looking up at her and nodding.

"I promised to make up for my past," he said with confidence. "And I will help all those who need it, regardless of who they are." The silver mare smiled in response before looking past Freeze to a dark cloud that was approaching.

'Then I will see you soon Victor, for your moment is here,' she said before vanishing in a silver flash, leaving Victor to turn around to see a massive dark cloud descend upon the city. He could hear the ponies screaming off in the distance and hear the sounds of laughter, a laughter that he remembered well.

'Very well Sombra, I will end this today,' he thought to himself as he headed towards the pony, preparing to become the champion he needed to be. But then, in the farthest back his mind could go, he simply thought. 'Nora, give me strength.'

|\/|
|/\|

"This truly is the best place for thinking and observing at the same time," a solitary figure muttered to himself as he looked down on the planet below, his senses and magic tuned for any sign of trouble, be it an evil force or the rebellion that sought to bring down his queen. But his senses were also searching for a magic, his magic that she somehow wielded. 'The visions get stronger by the day, meaning that the time must be drawing nearer. She will have to make a move soon.'

But no matter how long he waited, he could not sense her or any sign of her magic. He sighed in frustration, but knew that he could not sense her at so far a distance. She had learned to cloak herself. What he needed was a hint to the champion she was with. Fortunately, he had something that would help him.

"I must remember to thank the surfer for giving this to me if I ever see him again," Black Adam muttered as he lifted his hand, narrowing his eyes at the small amount of the power cosmic that rested upon it. "Now then power cosmic, show me what I seek." He closed his eyes as he said this and felt the cosmic flow into him. Then, for a brief moment he saw an image. An image of a man in a cryo suit with red eyes and freeze rays. Adam opened his eyes as the image faded away with a smile, now knowing where to go.