• Published 5th Sep 2012
  • 1,845 Views, 45 Comments

Strange Happening - Z-A-C



It was just a normal day when something......odd happened

  • ...
4
 45
 1,845

The Next Day

"You alright? You haven't eaten any of your apples." It's been an hour since I threw one the apples in the creek and I have since then apologized to her, but she hasn't eaten anything. I understand the sandwiches because they have meat in them but some of the other things I brought back with me better suited her diet.

"Ah'm not hungry..."

"Yeah sure ya aren't. Come on I'm the only one here you might as well tell me, right?" I smiled looking over at her.

"Ah just.....didn't expect you to eat....meat." Is she turning green?

"Well I ate half of the cherries so what if I brought a few turkey and ham sandwiches down with me?"

"What about the apples? Why haven't you eaten those?"

"Believe it or not they make me sick." She looked confused. "Like, every time I eat one I feel nauseous after a few minutes. I like the taste of them and all its just, apparently they don't like me." I paused for a moment. "Unless they're covered in dark chocolate, white chocolate, caramel and pieces of peanuts. Then they're fine with me you know," Prepare for a shitty joke folks. "They're so sweet." I waited for a response from her.

She laughed a bit. "That was bad." She laughed again. "Good try though."

"Hey bad joke or not it worked! Good thing to because I was going to feel like an idiot if it didn't."

"I 'spose yer right. It did cheer me up a bit."

"Good good now eat comrade, I don't want you starving to death."

She grabbed an apple off of the table, brought back and sat next to me. She began eating said apple.

"Sooo....potentially awkward question. Um....Why did you have two ass tattoos that look a-like?"

"Huh? You mean my cutie marks?"

Ok sister what ever you want to call them. "Sure."

"They show what my special talent is."

"And....apples?"

"Bucking apples actually."

Did she just say....no certainly not. "Bucking apples?"

"Yep."

Um....no fuckin' clue what that means here!! "Care to tell me what the fuck that is?"

"Oh sorry. All it is really is ah go up to a tree and buck it." She said matter-of-fact-ly

"So....bucking is?"

She looked at me like I was the stupidest thing she's ever seen. "Kicking. I basically kick apple trees." She took another bite of the apple. "And my apples are a heck of a lot better then these."

"It wouldn't surprise me if they were. So what do you do for a living?"

"Buck apples. Ah'm an apple farmer."

"So you have an orchard and everything?"

"Sure do! And its big! We have an actual farm and everything to, just because ah buck apple doesn't mean ah don't have other chore to do."

"I see. Sounds interesting."

"Naw not really just yer run-of-the-mill farm chores. You know, feed the pigs, bale hay, put up the baled hay, and so on. It's hard work, but you get used to it."

"I hear ya there."

"So what about you?"

"I work at a Pizza Hut."

"A Pizza....Hut?"

"What you don't have pizzas in your world?"

"We do but not Pizza Hut what is it?"

"It's a restaurant the sells Pizza." I shrugged. "That's it."

"And what do you do?"

I sighed. As much as I don't like talking about work at least we were having a nice conversation and aren't yelling at each other. "Well, I was hired on as a cook but I mainly wash dishes because I haven't been trained."

"Ah see. Do you like it there."

I laughed. "No. I fucking hate it there! I've only been working there for six weeks and I already want to quit. It sucks working there...."

"Then why are you still working there?"

"Money I guess. Not that I get paid that much and my boss lost one my paychecks, so that's floatin' around some where." I sighed again and check the clock on my phone. "But anyway it's getting late and I'm sure your tired so let's hit the hay." I looked around and saw that there was no good place for her to sleep. "Uh....you can sleep with me if you want. You know like in a non....sexual way....uh nevermind."

She blushed slightly. "I know whatcha meant!" She sound annoyed. "Why'd you have ta make it all weird."

"Sorry."

I threw a little more wood on the fire so it wouldn't go out until after we fell asleep. after that I laid on my sleeping back and rolled over to face the fire. To my surprise she walked over and laid down with me. She was facing the fire as well and said only one thing before she lowered her head and fell asleep and that was. "You know for warmth and all..." I just shrugged concentrated on sleep.

---+---+---

"Um.....sugar cube....you awake."

I mumbled. "Five minutes please."

"Uh sugar cube? Wake up."

"Shh I'm trying to sleep."

"Zane. Would you mind paying attention to where your hand is?"

"Wha?" I said waking up a bit. I did the idiotic thing and felt around and recoiled my hand when I felt one of her hind legs. "Oh fuck!! Sorry about that....I...I.was asleep." I sat up.

"Its fine just try not to let it happen again."

"Will do....um.." I looked over at the fire pit and saw that there were still coals going. I also looked up at the sky it was still dark out. "Applejack....why did you wake me up this early?"

"What do ya mean?"

I checked my phone and it was two hours after I fell asleep. "It's six in the morning...."

"Well I wasn't going to have you feelling me up in yer sleep! I didn't say you had to stay awake, I just said you had to stop touching me."

"Right. Well good night. You should probably get some more sleep to."

"Ah am just don't.....do that again."

"I know I know I hear ya."

I laid back down and went back to sleep.

+++-+++-+++

It was a dreamless sleep which happens to me a lot, but it was a restful sleep at least I woke up and look at my phone to see what time it was. It was one O'clock in the afternoon. I noticed that applejack wasn't laying down anymore. I sat up and looked around and called for her and she came out from the woods.

"What were you doing?" I thought for a bit and shook my head. "Uh never mind. So you do some exploring while you were in there?"

She walked over. "Yeah a little, not much to explore though."

"Well it is a nice walk right?"

"Yeah. A heck of a lot better than the Everfree forest."

"The what know?"

"The Everfree forest. It's a creepy forest that has a bunch of dangerous creatures in it."

"I see. Sounds interesting."

She raised an eye brow. "If you say so..."

"So ready to meet every one else?"

"Ah'm not so sure anymore."

"I understand. Hey, do you have any family of your own?" She looked at the ground and let a tear slip down her face. "Sorry. It...was on my mind and um...."

She looked up. "It's ok sugar cube, it's not your fault." She pause and then said with sadness in her voice. "Ah just miss 'em ya know?"

"Well it help to talk about them?"

"Ah don't know...worth a shot. Ah have a pretty big family though."

"Well just tell me who you live with."

"Well there's Granny Smith, Big Macintosh, and Applebloom."

Surprise, surprise they're all named after apples... "Can you tell me a little bit about them? Might make you feel better or not."

"Granny is my grandmother and one of the founder of my town. She may be a bit out there sometimes but she means well. She's caring and one of the kindest ponies you'll meet. Then there's Big Mac. He doesn't talk much but hes kind and has the biggest heart of all of Ponyville. Hes also my big brother. And then Applebloom my little sister shes still a filly and a hoof full sometimes but that's mainly because she so excitable. Ah miss 'em Zane I really do."

"I understand Applejack I know what it's like to miss family like that." I put my hand on her shoulder to try to reassure her that I did in fact understand. I'll tell you one thing, shes damn good at holding back tears.

"What about you, sugar cube?"

"My grandparents, my parents and my younger sister."

"You want to tell me about them?"

"Hmm....not really, I mean they're alright and all but nothing special I guess."

"Ah see, well ah feel a bit better."

"Good, I'm glad. You must be hungry."

"A little bit."

"Well the cherries are gone but there is an apple left from last night."

"Uh ah don't think ah'll be eating it..."

"Why not?"

She dropped it in front of me and there were bugs all crawling on it. "Uh....yeah. You eat hay?"

"Yeah why?"

"Follow me, I'll take you to the barn." I walked over to the gate and opened it. "You coming?" She nodded her head and followed me.

We walked the short distance to the barn. I show her the hay and said she could have as much as she wanted as long as she didn't eat all of it. She took a flake of hay and that was all she wanted to take, I just shrugged and said ok and left it at that.

+===+===+

"You full?"

"No, but that's all ah'm comfortable with taking, seeing how you have these other animals. Why are they in stables?" She tried talking to them and needless to say they didn't talk back and she was confused.

"Well...um...they're not....like you...uh they can't talk back... Like I said.....different world."

"Ah see."

"Yeah it must be weird huh?"

"That may be over simplifying it a bit but yeah it is."

"Yeah I could only imagine...." I looked up at the house. "Oh hey someones coming."

"What?!"

"Yeah I think its my mom.....yeah it's my mom."

"Ah...ah got to hide!"

"Um shes probably already seen you but go for it."

She hid in the shop that's in the barn and my mom came riding in on the golf cart.

"Hey Z whats up?" My mom said.

"Nothing really. About to come to the house to eat."

"Oh alright. I was just checking on you."

"Welp I'm fine. Oh yeah I just remembered." I pointed over towards the shop.

"What?" She looked in to the shop and saw Applejack. "Where'd you find it!?"

"Out in the woods last night after I was done shooting. And it's a she."

"Is she hurt? And why is she wearing a cowboy hat?"

"I found her like that, I really don't know. I brought her here so she could eat some hay."

"And did she?"

"Yeah but she said shes still hungry. Didn't you Applejack?!"

"She said? And her names Applejack?"

She walked over beside me. "Uh yeah howdy ma'am. Ah don't mean to impose but do y'all have a salad I could have?"

"A talking pony...." She sat down on the golf cart. "And you found her in the woods?

"Yep I did. I was as surprised as you are right now when I found her."

"What do you mean?"

"Well at first I thought..." I was cut of by both mine and Applejack's stomach growling. "Perhaps we should get some food first huh?"

Applejack nodded in agreement. "Ah reckon that's a good idea."

I walked over to the golf cart and sat down. "Hop on if you're hungry and don't say your not. I heard you."

She blushed as she jump on and sat in the middle of the seat.

This should be....different.