• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 1,826 Views, 214 Comments

Guiding Light - Detsella Morningdew



An earth pony filly lives in Canterlot and has a passion for magic.

  • ...
3
 214
 1,826

Epilogue, Book I

Celestia paced the length of her personal quarters, holding a piece of parchment in her magic.

"You knew you would have to tell her sometime."

"Sister?" She looked towards the entrance, where Luna was standing silently. The doors closed behind her.

"You can't deny it any more. We cannot treat Aurora like you did Twilight."

Celestia looked at her pleadingly. "But she's still a foal! She's not ready!"

Luna's expression softened. "I know, Tia, I know. if there were any other way, I would have jumped on it in an instant. But Aurora is stronger than you think. It will be difficult, but she can handle it."

Celestia sighed, rolling the letter back into a scroll. "I suppose you're right. That doesn't mean I like it. But I still don't understand how Smarty found out our secret."

Luna smirked. "I'm more surprised that she didn't notice as long as she did. That was one of the reasons I didn't just decide to tell her anyway. Perhaps she isn't as far as we thought. After all, she..."

Luna reacted instantly, taking to the air just as an immense wave of magic passed through he floor and right through both of them without any apparent harm.

Seconds later, just as Luna had settled back to the ground, the doors burst open as Twilight ran into the room. "Are you all right? What was that?"

Celestia looked upwards at where the wave had gone. "I think Aurora might need our help, if that flare was any indication. "

Twilight paused, catching her breath. "No, I don't think that was her. That wave wasn't just directed here. From what I saw, it passed through all of Canterlot."

Luna stared. "Are you certain?"

"Quite. And based on the density of the magic involved, that was far more energy than she should have been able to use."

"Then we need to get down there, immediately." She looked at Celestia. "I can only hope she didn't do what I think she did."

BOOM

All three Alicorns' heads whipped around seconds before the doors burst open once more.

Smarty's wings still crackled slightly as she set Aurora down on the giant cushion Princess Celestia used as a bed.

"Sorry about the guards, Your Highnesses; they wouldn't let me through. But Aurora needs help, and fast. She still has a pulse, but... that much death magic in her..."

Twilight rushed over, examining her forehooves closely while Celestia watched her from the side.

Luna glanced outside the room at the four unconscious guards, surrounded by thousands of fading shield fragments.

She chuckled, closing the doors. "It seems like your guards need a bit more training, Sister."

Twilight looked up from her work. "To be fair, I think they were expecting normal pegasus lightning, not an alicorn spell." She stood up, turning towards Smarty. "Anyway, Aurora should be okay. She does have some severe leyline damage almost all the way up her front legs, but she should recover with time."

Smarty sighed in relief. "Thank..." Her eyes drifted over the Princesses. "... goodness. I was worried that it got further than that."

Twilight met her eyes. "If you don't mind me asking... what exactly happened down there? All of us felt that magic just now."

Smarty shifted uncomfortably. "I'm not sure I'm the pony to ask about that. We didn't exactly have time to compare notes before... well... I can't tell you the who or why, but some group of ponies has been stockpiling a lot of magic. Death magic, the kind that attacks the wellspring. We found their village underground, all carved out of a crystal that was enchanted to reflect magic back at the user."

Smarty put a hoof to her chin. "Come to think of it, they must have started this a really long time ago, if the rumors about those mines were correct. Or maybe somepony else did that."

She shook her head. "Anyway, from what Aurora said, the amount of magic was so big, she thought it might be enough to hurt or even... kill... one of you. That's what we thought it was for, but now I'm starting to think it must have been something different. I felt it in a way different part of the castle."

Twilight nodded. "It was spread over all of Canterlot."

Smarty paled. "...oh."

Celestia placed a hoof gently on her shoulder. "Please, continue."

"Well, Aurora knew she couldn't counter it with any magic of her own, we couldn't turn the device off, and there was no real way to redirect it, so... she tried to convert the magic instead."

Luna raised an eyebrow. "And she thought she could?"

Smarty gave a humorless laugh. "No. But she thought she could make enough of a difference to count."

"...I see."

"I saw her start, but the magic seemed to fight back. It started to go into her. She... fought it off somehow, but... I was worried it still might be too late."

Celestia smiled. "Your devotion is commendable. However, excuse me for a moment while I check that my guards have not sustained any permanent injury."

Smarty smiled sheepishly.

"And on the other matter... Don't worry. I will tell her when she wakes."

Smarty's eyes widened as she remembered her previous contact with the Princess of the Sun. "Oh! Princess, I apologize for that. The letter was written in the heat of my anger, and-"

Celestia met her eyes. "And you were right. It is a hard truth, but it needs to be told."

Smarty nodded mutely, watching as she left the room. Her gaze drifted back to Aurora, her chest rising and falling slowly.

Safe.

She blinked, seeing through different eyes. She sighed, gazing at the hooves that were damaged so terribly. Yet at her core, the small star still shone, its two sisters burning brightly beside it.

She smiled, nuzzling her head against her side.

Everything would be just fine.

Author's Note:

Yeah, I know I didn't reveal the secret explicitly here, but I gave you enough hints to choke a... pony.

Anyway, for those of you who have figured it out, and are now panicking, don't worry. It's different than you think. And while this means that there will be some changes in the future, it will not affect Aurora's character, or her current struggles.

(But if you haven't figured it out yet, I suggest that you don't read the comment section. There's sure to be people talking about it there.)

Comments ( 22 )

quick correction

Well, Aurora know she

know should be knew

8139886 :trollestia: Not confirming anything just yet!


8140004 Thanks. Probably just a "fast typing" error.

8140088 ya those happen glad i could help

8139886 Oh, and you still haven't mentioned my big reveal, the one that I gave the most hints for.

So answer me this (hidden with the spoiler thing): What is the secret that Celestia is hiding?

(Or at least give your best guess.)

Hint: The fact that Smarty knows about it is a clue.

Alicorn? Just from "discovering/mastering a form of magic" and "her ponies were safe"

8145761 I finished reading the story and was sitting here thinking I can't wait till the next chapter till I saw your comment then was completely shocked to find the story marked as complete.

8178309 Don't worry - the sequel is coming soon-ish.

8178366 please do. its one of the better ones I have read as of Late.

8178374 Thanks! That means a lot, especially since I still consider myself an amateur writer.

8246000

Yes, Smarty Pants is an odd name. If Aurora stopped to think about it, she would think so too, and wonder why she chose that particular name. But names in Equestria are often destiny-based. Not in the way of a special talent or large event yet to come, but on a more personal level.

It might make sense later on in the story, or maybe in the second one, but just trust me that the name is fitting on some level. Aurora named her what "felt right."

Eh, to be honest that explanation seems weak, but hopefully the story will explain it better at some point.

Although yes, I am still disappointed in myself about how little Broad Strike was actually used in this book. He is still a semi-minor character, but still, I don't want the next plot point involving him to just come out of the blue.

Yeah, it's something to consider when writing the sequel.

Interesting. I hope you continue this. And I'm guessing Aurora is a possible alicorn? I can't think of what else the secret about her could be.

8256481
Yep, but (relatively) obviously, it's a bit different than the normal canon.

It is inspired by a different fanfiction (that I will credit when appropriate), but I have the writer's approval to use it. (And it's a slightly different scenario)

If the main OCs in this story were voiced, what would they sound like?

8360378
Hmm... It's really hard to describe your inner voice. I always voice characters in my head, and each one is unique, but... I really have no comparison...

Usually I make the voices from the personalities of the characters. Aurora is semi-analytical, but she can be brash and short-tempered at times. Smarty is usually the dispenser of common sense. So kind of like a slightly more feminine Spike.

I hope that helps. :moustache:

I swear I've seen something like this before. Where an earth pony goes to Canterlot to learn magic. Ecept there she became Luna's student. Not sure if it's the same one.

9321068
Nope, definitely not the same one. Let me know if you remember what it was called.

Now, I do remember something about Pipsqueak becoming Luna's student once, but I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about.

9321640
Naw. I do know that one. But it was a different one. It was really good too. This just reminded me of it.

Nice story.

Oh my goodness! I've been poking around looking for a story like this, a story about magic centered on an earth pony. Aurora is a really fun and determined character, and that sense of slowly encroaching wrongness as the intensity of her training began to creep up and up was masterfully done! Plus everything about the mystery of the caves and what or who is down there is really neat-- I'm only stopping for long enough to write this comment and then I'm jumping right on the sequel!

Thank you so much for writing this brilliant story!!

Login or register to comment