• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 1,497 Views, 35 Comments

Equestrian Gems - Serenade Sketch



History about Equestria that remained unknown for centuries has now resurfaced.

  • ...
7
 35
 1,497

Gem Lesson 1: Abilities and Weapons

"I thought you would like this place," Red Pearl told Twilight, "This library used to be Tanzanite's room, she wrote so many books as records of gem history and history in Equestria. This was what she left behind when she met her unfortunate fate."

"Once an egghead, always and egghead, even when you not exactly here," Rainbow Dash replied.

Twilight, meanwhile, was still enthralled in Tanzanite's library, "This. Is. So. Amazing! It put's my own castle's library to shame!"

Grey Tourmaline then stepped in to calm her down, "Why don't we start with the records Tanzanite wrote about different kinds of gems so you can be more familiar with their abilities?" Grey Tourmaline then walked over to one of the shelves and took a large white book and passed it over to Twilight.

"Gem Types and Abilities: An Encyclopedia of Everything Needed to Learn About Gems," Twilight said reading the title.

"That is one conveniently titled book," Starlight said.

"Tanzanite got better with book titles as she continued writing, trust me," Grey Tourmaline replied. "Anyway, let's begin, shall we? I remember there being differently colored bookmarks on each of your respective pages to save you the trouble."

Twilight the turned to the pages for Tanzanite which had a purple bookmark and everyone it the room saw an illustration of her gem located on her forehead with her levitating a staff and writing explaining her different abilities and spells that she could use. "I didn't know she has a staff," Fluttershy said looking directly at the picture.

"That was her weapon, all gems have their own weapon or ability based on the kind of gem that they are," Chrome Diopside explained. "Gems who were unicorns, like me, don't exactly cast spells like actual unicorns do."

"Unicorn gems are usually able to use levitation and, if they have it, magic based on an element they can control," Red Pearl added. "Gems like Tanzanite were an exception since her weapon was a magic staff, she had a wide range of spells that she could use."

"But we can already tell that you're quite skilled at magic already without the need for a staff," Grey Tourmaline said. Twilight then turned to the page marked with the orange bookmark which was Carnelian's page. The illustration depicted her with her gem on her left hoof with her holding a lasso in her teeth.

"Carnelian was one of the more stronger gems in the rebellion, that strength was what actually got us out of a few scrapes before," Red Pearl said remembering the time that she helped save her friends. Twilight then saw the pink bookmark and turned to Poudrettite's page. Her illustration showed her gem on her right hoof with a cannon.

"She was someone who knew how to keep everyone's morale up, and was still very helpful in fending off Homeworld soldiers," Chrome Diopside said. Next was the page with the yellow bookmark which was where Golden Beryl's page was which had her holding a butterfly-shaped wand and had animals colored like her with her.

"Golden Beryl used her wand to generate animals to assist her in battle. They weren't real, they were more like a manifestation of a spell I want to say," Red Pearl explained. The page with the white bookmark was about Chalcedony whos gem was between her eyes above her muzzle levitating a rapier sword.

"Before Chalcedony joined the Equestrian Gems, she was an aristocratic gem, but unlike others, she was more kind and believed all gems had rights," Grey Tourmaline explained. The rainbow colored bookmark was at the page with Rainbow Hematite who had her gem on her back with a pair of rainbow colored wings.

"Gems whos gem placement is on their back, like Rainbow Hematite, can use it to summon a pair of wings, she was also an aerokinetic, meaning she had the power to control wind at her will," Red Pearl explained. The last page had a light pink bookmark and had an illustration of Star Quartz, a unicorn gem with her gem located on her forehead, holding a staff with her magic.

"Star Quartz was a more unique gem. Her staff could copy the abilities of other gems and use it against them. Other times, we would allow her to use it on use in case there are no other options for her," Grey Tourmaline said. "We would go over the rest of them, but it would take too long and we agreed we would tell everyone about there own respective gem."

Chrome Diopside then stepped in and asked, "So, what now?"

"We could go and look for everypony else who has a gems power," Twilight suggested. "We know that Celestia, Luna, and Zecora, each have a gems power, plus we need to go tell Zecora, but we can still look for others."

"Well we did also sense two other gems: Roselite and Indicolite," Red Pearl said. "We can go in groups of three to find them all faster." Everyone agreed and got in their groups, Red Pearl, Twilight, Spike, and Rarity went to track Roselite's power, Chrome Diopside, Applejack, and Fluttershy went to go get Zecora, and Grey Tourmaline, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie, and Starlight went to track Indicolite's power. Each group going in a different direction while following each respective energy.

Author's Note:

Edit: 9/14/16: I forgot about the page with Golden Beryl, sorry.:twilightsheepish:

The next three chapters are going to happen simultaneously, the first will focus on Red Pearl's team, the second on Green Topaz's team, and the third on Grey Tourmaline's team.

So, I'll see you in the next chapter, revealing who has Roselite's power.