• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 1,497 Views, 35 Comments

Equestrian Gems - Serenade Sketch



History about Equestria that remained unknown for centuries has now resurfaced.

  • ...
7
 35
 1,497

Healing Mental Scars

Entry 1: I decided to write down any research on healing corrupted gems in case of future reference. Right now, this is only the beginning of us finding a way to rid gems of their suffering. Soon, we will test some methods and see if we get results and if it's either temporary or permanent. Right now, I can only wish that we are successful.


Tanzanite, Star Quartz, Sunstone, Moonstone, and Roselite are all gathered outside the temple with a bubbled orange and black gem. "Are you sure we should start with this one?" Moonstone asked. "When I encountered it, I thought I wouldn't make it out."

"I understand your concern, but back then, you were alone and we didn't know what to expect, now you have us to help if anything should go awry," Sunstone said.

"We just need to make sure it doesn't run away when it's loose," Tanzanite said. "This is why you, Sunstone, and Star Quartz have to try and keep it contained should it try to escape." Moonstone then nodded and placed the bubbled gem in between everyone.

"This gem is a Mahogany Obsidian, correct?" Roselite asked.

"Yes, that gem looked familiar to me and I asked Zebra Jasper and she confirmed it," Tanzanite said. "Alright, everyone ready?" Star Quartz summoned her staff, Roselite summoned kunai with their blades shaped like hearts, and Sunstone and Moonstone took a stance. Tanzanite then placed the bubble on the ground which caused it to pop and release the gem inside. The gem then glowed and began to form a wyvern-like creature with the gem on the right foot. Tanzanite then signaled the other four gems, "Now!" Sunstone and Moonstone then created chains with their luxmancy and umbramancy and held the gem down. "Star Quartz, now's our chance!" Star Quartz then used her staff on Tanzanite to copy her so she could use the same abilities as her. They then both started using the same spell together and a white aura started to envelop Mahogany Obsidian who also started to glow.

"I think it's working, keep going," Roselite said. But the more they tried to keep the spell going, the more restless the corrupted gem got and tried to break free. Sunstone and Moonstone then tried harder to keep the gem chained to the ground, but she started to break free little by little.

"Hrrrng... she's trying... to break free," Sunstone said straining to keep the gem from fleeing. The corrupted gem continued to break the chains which put more strain on the two gems holding her down. Eventually, the chains broke and Mahogany Obsidian escaped the spell and tried to fly away. Roselite then threw one of her kunai at her before she flew off which forced her to retreat into her gem. Moonstone caught the gemstone with her magic and encased it in one of her bubbles.

"Looks like we couldn't save her," Moonstone said as she sent the bubbled gem off.

"I'll just have to fine-tune the healing spell a little more," Tanzanite said as she walked back into the temple.


Entry 1 (Addendum): Even though it was expected, our first attempt to heal corruption didn't work, but I refuse to give up on them. They have suffered for too long and I want to make sure they can be freed from their pain. I wasn't able to see even small signs of Mahogany Obsidian's physical form returning to normal. Further work on the healing spell is required.


Twilight continued to read Tanzanite's journal and about every time she tried to make adjustments to the healing spell. "She must have been really dedicated if she tried reworking on the spell so many times, no matter how many times it didn't work."


Entry 11: I have been rewriting this spell for a long time now, but I shouldn't let it discourage me from my goal. I has actually let me see some small flaws that I didn't notice at first and let me make improvements to make it better. We are going to test it again, but this time, with more help and a less dangerous corrupted gem.


Tanzanite was ready to try and heal corruption again, this time, she gathered Zebra Jasper and Green Zircon. "Everyone ready?" she asked.

"I brought Blue Lace Agate, just like you asked," Green Zircon said.

"Great," Tanzanite replied. "We were the ones who first found this one, so we should already be prepared for what might happen." Green Zircon then summoned her lance and Zebra Jasper held on to a small bottle with a chemical inside.

"I've brought a potion that won't harm her, but she will be stunned, after a while, she will be able to move again," Zebra Jasper said.

"Don't worry, I'm sure it'll be long enough for the spell to take full effect," Tanzanite reassured. "Alright, let's start the process." The bubbled gem was then placed on the ground which released it and allowed it to take form. Then a big wolf-like creature with blue and white fur began to form with her gem located on her forehead. As soon as the gem finished taking form, Zebra Jasper threw the potion at the other gem which temporarily paralyzed her. Tanzanite then took the opportunity to use her improved healing spell and the corrupted gem began to glow and her right front paw began to shift.

Green Zircon took notice and then said, "Keep going, I see her forming back!" Tanzanite continued the process which caused the gem's physical form to completely glow and start to change.

Tanzanite then stopped to look, "Did it work? Did I heal her?" When the gem's physical form began to change, it also started to glitch and change rapidly until she reverted back to her wolf form and tried to escape. Green Zircon then hurled her lance at the wolf which forced her to retreat back into her gem. "I thought for sure she would be healed," Tanzanite sighed.

"It was the closest you've gotten so far," Zebra Jasper said. "I know that there's a way to heal corruption, we just need to find it."

"Well I refuse to give up on them, I just need more time to continue working," Tanzanite said walking back into the temple.

"I just hope she's not taking it too hard," Green Zircon said holding the bubbled gem. Zebra Jasper nodded in agreement.


Entry 11 (Addendum): Yet another failed attempt with the healing spell, but don't think that it will keep me from trying again. Every puzzle has an answer, and I won't rest until I've figured it out. I can't give up, not when I've gotten so far already.


Twilight was still reading the journal until she got to the final page Tanzanite wrote on. "Look like this is the final page, the rest of them are blank," she said as she started to read the final page.


Entry 20: I have made so many attempts to heal gem corruption, so far with negative results. But that doesn't discourage me from what I've been striving for ever since the war ended. Now that I've fixed the spell further, it's time to test it out and see if it will finally work.


"Ok, I know we haven't been successful lately, but I have a very strong feeling this time now that I've refined the spell so much after the first time we tried it," Tanzanite said to everyone. This time, every gem was gathered outside to test the healing spell on another corrupted gem.

"So, why did you need all of us this time?" Rainbow Hematite asked.

"I just want to be prepared even further this time. The gem we'll be using is Tiger's Eye." Tanzanite then brought out the bubbled gem she had with her.

"No offence Tanzanite, but are you sure that the healing spell will work this time?" Golden Beryl asked.

"Of course I'm sure, I didn't work this hard just to fail. Please, I really want to give the spell at least one more chance." Everyone else looked at each other with mixed feelings.

"Very well, if it'll make you feel better, we'll give it another try," Sunstone said with everyone else agreeing.

"Thank you everyone," Tanzanite said with a happy smile. "Alright let's start. Star Quartz, I'll need you to cast the spell with me, Sunstone, Moonstone, and Rainbow Hematite, you'll need to keep Tiger's Eye from escaping, everyone else, we'll need you on stand by in case she does manage to break loose." Everyone then took their positions while Tanzanite place the bubble on the ground which released the gem which formed a large tiger with the gem on her left eye. Sunstone, Moonstone, and Rainbow Hematite created light, dark, and wind chains to keep the gem from escaping while Tanzanite and Star Quartz started using the healing spell. As the spell was being used, the tiger began to glow and started to shift. The corrupted gem then began to look more pony-like as the spell continued to take effect.

"Looks like it's actually working," Red Pearl said. Before Tiger's Eye could become completely healed, her form became unstable and started to resist the spell which started to break the chains. Before she could escape, Chalcedony thrust her rapier into her which caused her to retreat into her gem. Tanzanite just stared with a sad and disappointed expression which Star Quartz noticed.

"I'm sorry Tanzanite, we at least tried." Tanzanite then took a deep breath and walked over to bubble the inactive gem.

"It's... fine. I just... need some time alone." Tanzanite then walked into the temple with the bubbled gem with her head hanging low.


Entry 20 (Addendum): I'm sorry. I'm sorry to all of those gems that have suffered for so many years because of corruption. I guess I'm just not capable of creating a way to cure a corrupted gem. All I can do right now is hope that a way to cure them is discovered in the future. I don't know if there was actually something I was still missing in my spell or if it was doomed to fail from the start, but regardless, I'll leave behind the plans I wrote for the spell in the back of the book incase it might come into use later and I'm not here. This is Tanzanite signing out for the last time.


As Twilight finished reading the final entry, she turned to the back of the book and saw the plans for the healing spell. "I'll admit, she really put a lot of effort into this healing spell." She continued to examine the spell decided to work on further if she sees any room for improvement.

Author's Note:

Sorry I took so long:twilightsheepish:. School, just school.