• Published 18th Dec 2015
  • 1,265 Views, 599 Comments

Awkward Conversations And Other Stories - No one is home



A series of disjointed, interconnected stories about people and ponies. There are many conversations. All are awkward.

  • ...
5
 599
 1,265

PreviousChapters Next
One Time, at School (Diane/Moonbeam): I Kissed a Bat

Moon settled at his desk as his eyes darted around the classroom. He was still new to the place and those within it, but if he was going to do something, darn it, he was going to do it well! If only schoolwork paid half as well as AmNeigh stuff…

Diane’s compound eyes darted around the room. She was among friends. They were all her friends. That was important for reasons she didn’t really understand. Moonbeam.. He was part of THAT family. She refused to forgive them. Their Princess took everything she loved and turned it into everything she feared. His grandmother had shown nothing but cruelty to her mother. But Moonbeam, she could be his friend.

"Turn to page…" Miss Shadow started the lesson of the day, droning on for most to pay attention.

Moon may not have paying as much attention as he planned. He did take notes and scrawled softly, but was distracted by taking in his neighborhood, including the only changeling in the room. He watched her whenever he thought it wasn't returned, and he was good at it, mostly. He glanced away just as she glanced towards him.

Diane checked her form. Her horn was suppressed, Her ears were still spines, but not as long or sharp as what every mirror told her. She knew what she looked like inside. It was the price of the cards. She caught Moon’s eyes and tried not to smile… not to show her teeth.

He raised a hoof to wave shyly. "Mister Beam, is something distracting you?" He squeaked and faced forward dutifully, but even school had its breaks. The bell for lunch rang and he put away his books before heading out towards the yard where the other foals hung out. He pulled out a small bag on the way, his lunch perhaps.

“So,” Glinda slipped into place beside the new colt, Zap following jealously, “Were you here for the circus?”

He shook his head quickly. "I heard about that, but I was a bit busy." Busy scamming, he didn't mention. "Were you there?" He pulled out a lunch that seemed a perfectly balanced meal prepared by someone with no idea how to pack lunch but a burning desire to be a perfect parent.

“We were…” Zap started only to be interrupted by Glinda.

“It wasn’t there, it was here.”

“It wasn’t him.” Diane joined the table. “It wasn’t him and wasn’t any of them on the hill.”

“There wasn’t a ‘them’ that brought the Nopony, and there wasn’t a ‘them’ that put my uncle in the ground,” the little queen decreed. “You know I met your grandma right? Moons? Both of em. I don’t like either. How are you with that?”

Moonbeam blinked softly. "Princess Luna? What's wrong with her?" The idea that somepony wouldn't like Luna was foreign enough to distract him from the confusing conversation leading up to it. "She's pretty nice…"

“Do you know what she did?” Diane’s eyes narrowed dangerously.

“Oh please,” Glinda rolled her eyes, “Not the whole, “Luna put my uncle in an endless nightmare shtick. Seriously, your dad’s a monster. We get it.”

“It doesn’t matter.” Diane blushed fiercely.

Moonbeam crunched on his sandwich of meat and veggies, formulated to have everything a growing lunar pegasus needed to grow popular based on a scientific survey on the matter. "My mom's insane, my grandparents are all royalty. I kinda know that feeling, so, uh… hi?" He offered a wing towards Diane.

“I’ve been surviving in Canterlot since the invasion,” Diane looked at the colt in the eyes. “My smile doesn’t bother you? It does that… with ponies,,,”

He flashed his own teeth. Sure, his grin didn't go from ear to ear, but he had fangs and sharp teeth suitable for ripping and rending. They were predator's teeth. "What's your favorite meat?" he asked, tangenting away from the sensitive topic.

“Mom doesn’t like to cook it, but I like pork.” Diane grinned widely, “A few griffon shops carry it. My uncle usually does the cooking when we have real meat, mostly though it’s fish. It’s not like it’s real food anyway.”

Moon tilted his head. "Fish's real meat, last I checked." Though fish was the only meat he got to try before the AmNeigh thing. "So, uh… Do you mind if I ask who your pop is? He sounds cool if he can cook pork."

“You… don’t know? Have you heard of the cupcake monster? The Train Wreck?” Diane answered with her own head tilt.

"Shit," he said in a burst of coltish articulateness. "That's your dad? Awesome!" He smiled brightly again. "Can I see him?" He never got a chance to get a cupcake from the cupcake monster.

“He doesn’t like being looked at!” Diane became suddenly defensive. “And he’s not my dad. Changelings don’t have fathers. He’s my uncle.” That was why. Diane clung to that reason.

Moon pointed at himself. "You know my 'mom' is a unicorn, right? I mean… I'm adopted too. It's, um, well, guess it's not okay, but yeah…" He chewed his lunch rather than dig himself any deeper.

“Your right…” Diane simply nodded. “It’s not okay. How long were you out there? I was on my own since the invasion… I did what I had to do… even when I knew it was wrong.”

Was it the right time to mention it? He glanced away and back at Diane. ”Well, um.. Do you know about the, you know, AmNeigh thing?" He felt his way forward, leaving deniability in case that was an awful idea.

“I heard things” Diane batted her newly form formed lashes, “Were you a sheep or a wolf?”

That was an odd way to phrase it. He looked down a little, breaking the gaze. "I guess I was a wolf, and I had a nice fat sheep. I hunted her day after day, and one day, she wasn't a sheep anymore. She was an angry pony, but she didn't hit me or even be mad really… She picked me up and said it'd all be alright, and then that sheep became my mom, and here I am." He gushed it all without really thinking it through, some fresh tears welling up as the situation dawned on him anew.

“I want to show you something.” Diane decided she would take a chance. “If you want you to see it… it’s what I really am… What I see in the mirror.”

He blinked, tears running dry as curiosity overwhelmed him. He glanced over at her friends before nodding at her. "S-sure, lay it on me." How bad could it be?

In a flash of invisible green fire all of the adorable shark larvae Diane pretended to be was gone, replaced by a armored and spiney monster. Her friendly smile became a predatory grin. “This is me. I am a queen.”

He blinked softly, trying to take in what he was seeing. With a hoof he reached right across the table to examine his new 'friend'. "Cool." Big tough things rated that, even if he was clearly thrown right off balance by it. "I bet you could take on Tirek without pausing."

“I took on the Nopony, Tirek’s gonna take what again, my magic?” Diane cooed, “So I’m always this way? THIS is the truth, We are monsters.”

Diane looked closely at her “prey”. “Can I?”

He perked his ears. "Can you what?" he asked with coltish cluelessness. He drew his hoof away, then looked at her friends. "Did you know she could do that? Sweet as Night!"

“Can I feed from you? It’s not a hard question.” Diane looked on the young colt expectantly.

“He’s almost as dense as you, Zap” The griffon rolled her eyes.


“Hey! I can get signals!” Indigo argued as he akwardly struggled to pay close attention to his sandwich.

"I am not dense!" he hotly defended with a scowl before he looked over the 'monster' "Do ya mean take a bite out of me? I need that…" Sure, he never dealt with changelings much.

“She takes “bites” out of “us all the time. it doesn’t hurt,” Glenda offered.

“I like you,” Diane smiled, “I’m hungry. Do you want to make out? I bet I can fit your head in my mouth.”

Moon blinked softly even as his cheeks turned redder and redder. "I…" He had never been with a filly that way, his head? "I like my head…" He shrunk back a little, but didn't flee. "Uh…" He was lost. Lost, but fascinated.

Author's Note:

So either they'll not really interact much, or I'll immediately get drunk and collab with David, and it'll be the ship that never sinks. :pinkiecrazy: Definitely one of those two things. Lots of typos, I'm sure. I was preeety damned drunk.

PreviousChapters Next