• Published 18th Dec 2015
  • 1,265 Views, 599 Comments

Awkward Conversations And Other Stories - No one is home



A series of disjointed, interconnected stories about people and ponies. There are many conversations. All are awkward.

  • ...
5
 599
 1,265

PreviousChapters Next
Trials and Tribulations (Pastel Family): A Family Meeting With Sherbert

“I- is he coming back?” Carrot plate asked nervously, as the family sat around the table eating rainbow sherbert.

“Of course he is, stupid!” Diane snapped, “If you were really part of this family you’d know that!”

“Diane will not call Z-978’s sister stupid!” The angry drone glared at her younger sibling. “Carrot plate IS part of this family! She is as much Z’s sister as the brat-queen!”

Carrot wilted, ears pinned back until Surprise stepped in. “Diane, there’s no need to take your frustrations out on Carrot Plate. She’s worried about Train Wreck just like we all are.”

“I’m sorry.” Carrot shuffled in place. “She’s right in a way. You all know each other. You know your place… I’m the outsider here.”

“Nonsense!” The green mare placed a fetlock around her newest herd-sister. “We’re a herd of strangers. We all came together looking for something we lost. Instead we found each other.”

“We all had a place in the dream world, mom.” Diane stamped her hoof in objection. “I’m the only one who actually saw the dream. There were versions of all of us. Train Wreck, Z, me, even you mom. SHE wasn’t there.”

“I’m sorry,” Carrot tried her best to shrink back into nothing. “I- I didn’t mean for this to happen. I don’t even know why I did it, but when I saw him there like that, I felt like I had to do something. So I dragged him home. He was still a little bit awake, and he tried to walk with me as best he could, and I didn’t know what else to do so I hid him in the basement. And I shouldn’t have tied him up, but if my father had found him there… and then… he sort of talked in his sleep…”

“Wait,” Diane interrupted thoughtfully, “You tied him up in a basement and he told you all his secrets?”

“Well, I wouldn’t have put it like that…” Carrot shuffled nervously.

“IT’S NOT FAIR!” The little queen screamed at the fates. “THAT at least was supposed to be MY part of it.”

“Diane, honey,” Surprise tried to soothe her daughter, but the Diane wanted none of it.

“No, mom,” Diane stamped her front hooves in unison, “The more that comes out the more obvious it is! Can’t any of you see it? I’M the one that doesn’t belong here!”

“Z-978 is confused,” the changeling drone admitted, “Her sister is the one who made this herd. She is the one who brought back the Train Wreck. She is the one Train Wreck and Surprise came together to make a family for. How can Diane not belong when she is the one who made this herd that was made for her?”

“You don’t get it!” Diane argued between sobs. “Luna’s dream was a reflection of the world. What happened in the dream is what happens now in real life! I wasn’t there. Not really! The Nopony said it himself, I just snuck in and stole the memories of the dream, but I wasn’t part of the Dream at all!”

“You’re sisters right, honey,” Surprise drew her distraught daughter into a tight embrace. “You weren’t part of the dream, you were what brought the dream together. Without you, there wouldn’t be a Pastel family. Train Wreck and your sister would be dead. I’d be alone, following a prince who was never going to see me as anything but a reminder of a nightmare he wanted to forget. Carrot would be trapped in a life she hated with no way out. You were the one who made the dream come true.”

“Diane,” Carrot said cautiously, “If it helps, you were almost all he ever talked about… right up until he woke up. I swear it’s true. Every third word out of his mouth was ‘Diane’. All he thought about was getting back to you.”

“Diane is just his word for ‘Pinkie Pie’,” Diane groused in denial, “He could have been talking about mom, or his Equestria’s Pinkie Pie, hell maybe this Equestria’s Pinkie Pie.”

“Or maayyybe he was talking about his daughter who very clearly has her mother’s mane, and her father’s smile.” Surprise hugged her daughter even tighter. “Do you even know how impossible you are? Enough worry-worting! You ALL belong in this family, and Train Wreck is just fine. He’s with Discord learning to do chaos stuff is all. Now, Diane, why don’t you tell us what happened at school today?”

“Oh!” the little chitinous filly exclaimed, angst suddenly forgotten, “There’s a new student. He’s a lunar pegasus, and he’s adopted too!”

“Have you made friends with him yet?” Surprised asked with real interest.

“Is he cute?” Carrot interjected.

“There are to be no pancakes,” Z-978 insisted.

“I’m still working on it, and yes, and thpt!” Diane blew a raspberry at her sister. “You’re not the boss of me, I’ll make pancakes if I want to… Maybe me and Moonbeam will even have a muffin party, what do you think of that?”

Surprise blushed fiercely, and Carrot looked confused, but Z danced excitedly in abject horror.

“There can be no muffins!” The drone buzzed in agitation and alarm. “What will Z tell Train Wreck if he gets back and there is an omelette situation?”

“Well, there won’t be any omelettes if it’s a CHOCOLATE muffin party, now will there?” Surprise grinned widely at her sister who just stammered wordlessly in shock and embarrassment.

“Okie Dokie Loki! That’s more than enough of that! It’s okay Z, Diane was just teasing you, she’s not really going to have ANY kind of muffin party ANY time soon.” Surprise stepped between the two and gave Diane a look that let her know this was a divine commandment. Silently adding, “This is karma for everything I put Limestone through, I just know it!”

Z-978 glared at her sister, who for her part just stuck out her tongue and smirked.

Author's Note:

Diane, have you no shame? :pinkiegasp: A chocolate muffin party? At your age? :twilightoops: Silver better keep an eye on his adopted grandson, it sounds like there’s some shenanigans afoot at Decanter Elementary. :trollestia:

PreviousChapters Next