• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 15,024 Views, 318 Comments

Finding Happiness - Wildcard25



A boy with no parents and a cruel aunt and cousin runs away and is brought to Equestria in hopes of finding a place where he belongs.

  • ...
14
 318
 15,024

Big Sister Ember

At Fluttershy's cottage one morning, Zayton was in his room singing to himself, "It's not unusual to be loved by anyone. It's not unusual to have fun with anyone. But when I see you hanging about with anyone. It's not unusual to see me cry, I wanna die!" when he heard a knock at his door, he ceased his singing and answered, "It's opened!"

The door opened, and Anton stepped in, "Come on, bro. Mom's waiting for us downstairs."

"Coming." Zayton answered, as he followed his brother downstairs.

Upon meeting up with Fluttershy, the three started walking for Twilight's castle, "So what did Twilight say she wanted us to come for?" Anton asked Fluttershy.

"Well, actually this is something Spike wants us for." the pegasus answered.

"And that would be?" Zayton asked.

"A friend of his from the Dragon Lands is visiting Ponyville, and he wants us all to meet her."

"Her? As in a girl dragon?" Anton inquired.

"Yes. I may be terrified of dragons, but since she's not a giant dragon I'll be ok." Fluttershy assured them.

"Well, I think it's gonna be cool to see another dragon from Equestria." Anton voiced his excitement.

"No kidding." Zayton replied.


The three finally arrived outside the castle where Twilight, Spike, and the rest of the girls were waiting, "Fluttershy! Boys! Glad you three made it." Twilight greeted.

"Is she here yet?" Fluttershy asked.

"She should be soon." Spike answered.

"So who is this dragon we're meeting with?" Anton inquired.

"Well, her name is Ember and she's actually the Dragon Lord." the young drake explained.

"Dragon Lord?" Zayton asked.

"So even Dragon folk have a hierarchy?" Anton inquired.

"That's right." Twilight confirmed.

"If we're going to be entertaining the Dragon Lord shouldn't we have made ourselves more presentable?" Anton asked.

"Don't worry about it," Spike replied, "Ember's not one for formality."

"Hey I see something." Rainbow pointed up.

Everyone looked up at the sky seeing a cyan blue colored dragon who looked slightly taller than the girls. Strapped onto her back looked like a scepter with a red gem as the centerpiece. The dragon touched down before them, and spoke up, "Hey there."

"Ember!" Spike ran up to her, and was about to embrace her but stopped feeling it's not what she wanted.

When he reached out to shake her claw, Ember just pulled him close, "Oh, come here!" she embraced him.

"I'm glad you could make it." Spike said.

"Wouldn't have missed it. Besides as long as I'm Dragon Lord I feel I should get to see more of Equestria and not just Dragon territory." Ember explained.

"Come on, I'll introduce you to the rest of my friends," Spike brought her over to the girls and the bros, "Everypony, I'd like you to meet my friend from the Dragon Lands, Ember."

"Nice to meet you." Ember waved while trying to be polite.

"This is Applejack, her family owns a apple farm in town." Spike began introducing her.

"Nice to meetcha, Ember. Spike's told us nothing but great things about ya." Applejack shook on it with Ember.

"Has he now?" Ember eyed Spike who felt sheepish, and continued with the introductions.

"This is Rainbow Dash, fastest flier in Ponyville."

"Fastest, huh?" Ember asked Rainbow while crossing her arms.

"You betcha. I can fly to the Crystal Empire and back in time for Lunch." Rainbow boasted.

"I'll have to see that to believe it." Ember replied with a smirk.

Dragon brought her to Pinkie, "This is Pinkie Pie, the number one party thrower in Equestria.

Pinkie shook Ember's claw rapidly, "Hiya, nice to meetcha!"

Ember who was getting dizzy from the rapid shaking spoke, "Nice to meet you too." she said dizzily.

After pulling her claw away from Pinkie, Spike brought her to Fluttershy, "And this is Fluttershy, kindest pony you'll ever know."

"So not all ponies are kind?" Ember asked in confusion.

"No. Some can be worse than Garble." Spike replied.

"It's very nice to meet you, Dragon Lord Ember." Fluttershy said respectfully while feeling a bit nervous.

"Please, just Ember." Ember replied.

"Oh, ok." Fluttershy said feeling calmer.

"You already know Twilight and Rarity." Spike reminded her.

"Welcome to Ponyville, darling." Rarity welcomed her.

"We hope your flight here wasn't too bad." Twilight said.

"No problem at all." Ember answered, while standing tall.

Spike then motioned to the boys who stepped forward, "And these are my newest friends, Anton and Zayton."

"Hiya." Anton greeted.

"Nice to meetcha." Zayton greeted.

"Hi," Ember greeted before studying the two curiously, "Huh. You two don't look like any creature I've ever seen or heard about in Equestria."

"Well, we're not of this world." Zayton replied.

"Then what are you supposed to be?" the dragon girl asked.

"We're called humans." Anton answered.

"Humans?" Ember asked in confusion.

"Yeah. We get that reaction from just about every creature we meet here." Zayton said.

"You two look no older than Spike here." Ember noticed.

"Yeah we're just kids," Anton replied, "Though we're maturing."

"What's that thing you got on your back?" Zayton noticed the scepter.

"Oh this?" Ember pulled out the scepter, "This is Bloodstone Scepter. It's something only the Dragon Lord can be in possession of. Spike was actually the first one to possess it before he passed it onto me. He could've been Dragon Lord instead."

The two boys turned to Spike in shock, "You were once the Dragon Lord?!" they asked in surprise.

"Yeah. But only for a few minutes. Had to use the chance to get the dragons to cease fighting and send one of them on his way. After that I gave it to Ember knowing she wanted it the most."

"And no dragon's ever done anything like that for me ever." Ember smiled at her friend.

"So, Ember, you all set to see Ponyville?" Spike asked.

"That's what I came for."

"Well, let's go!" Pinkie cheered, as the group started showing her around.


They had showed Ember around some of the important spots around Ponyville from Sweet Apple Acres, the Ponyville Schoolhouse, the Market, Town Hall, Rarity's shop, and the Spa. They were currently walking into Sugarcube Corner, and took a place at a table while Pinkie went to prepare them some treats.

As they waited, Twilight spoke to the Dragon Lord, "So, Ember, what do you think of Ponyville so far?"

"It's definitely different from the Dragon Lands. I mean no lava, no volcanoes, but there are gems here according to you, Spike?"

"If ya know where to look." Spike replied.

"And I happen to know a cave where you can find all sorts of gems." Rarity added.

"Really?" Ember asked with interest, "You might have to show me that sometime."

"Order up!" Pinkie came back balancing trays of sweets before placing them on the table.

"Ooh, this looks good." Anton said, as he and Zayton salivated.

"Boys, clean your mouths." Fluttershy scolded them.

"Yes, mom." they two sighed.

Ember looked at all the sweets, "Doesn't look like anything I've ever had before."

"Well, you'll find it's important to open yourself up to new experiences." Rarity noted.

"Here try this," Spike offered her a gem filled cupcake, "A cupcake with sapphires. New way to eat gems."

Ember took it and inspected it, "Well, let's see if this is as good as you say it is," she took a bite and chewed before swallowing, "Wow." she gasped.

"Told ya." Spike smirked, as Ember continued to eat.

Ember looked to Anton and Zayton, as they ate their cupcakes, "So, boys, what are your stories exactly?"

"Well, mine's kinda complicated." Zayton answered.

"And mine's not so happy." Anton added.

"Still, I'd like to know more about you." Ember said.

"Well, ok," Anton gave in, "I came from another world where I lived with my mom, aunt, and cousin. My aunt and cousin never cared about me and my mom, treating us like pests. I ran away one day and came home to find my mom died. Afterward my aunt and cousin planned to turn me into a servant. I escaped and was brought here by one of Equestria's Princesses. Fluttershy found me and took me in as her own."

"Whoa," Ember gasped, "This aunt and cousin of yours sound worse than any dragon where I'm from."

"You're right." Twilight confirmed.

"And what about you, Zayton?" Ember asked.

"Well, this is going to sound crazy, but I was once a drawing." he explained.

"What?" the dragoness asked in confusion.

"It's true," Anton confirmed, "Zayton was actually a drawing I made, and through the use of magical paint I gave him life."

"That's actually... Cool." Ember admitted, making the boys smile.


Later that day, the group returned to Twilight's castle, where Ember was telling the boys about how she became Dragon Lord, "So my dad finally gave in and admitted that I was stronger than he gave me credit for and said I'd make a fine leader."

The boys clapped as Zayton spoke, "That was an amazing story."

"Can't believe your dad was that overprotective of you." Anton said in disbelief.

"Yeah. It was so embarrassing." Ember sighed.

"And despite that you still wanted to prove your worth to him." Zayton smirked.

"That's right. I showed him with the help of Spike there's more to being a leader than just being big and strong." Ember declared.

"You're so headstrong an independent, Ember," Anton said in awe, "You're just like Wonder Woman."

"Wonder Woman?" the dragon girl asked.

"This super heroine in one of my comics," he reached into his bag and pulled out a Wonder Woman comic. It's about this independent woman who lives on an island of female warriors. And Wonder Woman or Diana fights to protect all those she cares for. Especially her people. You and her have a lot in common."

"Really? Let me see." Ember took the comic and began reading.

Half an hour later, Ember was kicking back on the couch enjoying the comic Anton showed her, "Oh, yeah! Take that!" she cheered, and laughed.

"Ember looks like she's really enjoying that comic." Fluttershy noticed.

"How can she not?" Spike asked, "Among the heroines in Anton's world, Wonder Woman is by far one of the top faves."

Ember finally finished the comic, and turned to Anton, "You were right, Anton. Wonder Woman and I are so similar. She's my kind of girl."

"I knew you'd like it." Anton smiled.

"So what else have you got besides good taste in reading material?" Ember asked.

"Well, I got something that you might enjoy." Zayton replied, as Ember looked curious while the girls and Spike smiled knowing what it was.

Soon enough, Zayton was putting on a littler sing and dance performance for everyone, with Pinkie supplying the music. Zayton danced it out while singing it out, "Nothing I can see but you when you dance, dance, dance. Feeling good, good, creeping up on you. So just dance, dance, dance, come on! All those things I shouldn't do. But you dance, dance, dance. And ain't nobody leaving soon, so keep dancing! Can't Stop the Feeling!"

The ponies were shaking their heads to the rhythm, while Spike and Ember were tapping their claws. Spike looked up at Ember seeing how much fun she was really having. The young dragon looked over at Anton who had his sketchbook out and appeared to be drawing away. Smiling he didn't break his friend's concentration and continued to focus on Zayton's performance.

When the boy finished, the ponies applauded and cheered, as Zayton spoke, "Thank you all. You're too kind."

They turned to Ember who spoke up, "You got some set of pipes there, Zayton."

"Thanks. I'm hoping one day I do a lot of good with this voice. I mean there are lots of pop stars in Equestria. And maybe one day I can join them in their ranks." Zayton said with hope.

"If I can become Dragon Lord, then there's hope for you too." Ember smiled.

"Thanks, Ember." Zayton replied, as the girls smiled at how well Ember's been getting along with the boys.


As the day was getting late, Ember was just about ready to head back to the Dragon Lands, "Well, time for me to go." Ember told the group.

"You stay safe, Ember." Twilight told her.

"Always."

"And come back any time." Pinkie added.

"Just be sure to inform us first." Spike said.

"Deal," Ember chuckled, before turning to Anton while holding up the Wonder Woman comic, "Say, Anton. Can I have this?" she asked hopefully.

Anton smiled, "Sure. I got spare copies. And here a little something else for you." he handed Ember a rolled up piece of paper.

Ember accepted the parchment and unrolled it. Upon looking at it she was surprised, only for her shocked expression to fade into a happy one. The girls and Spike looked and saw it was a sketch and colored picture of Ember and Spike the way they were while watching Zayton's performance. Ember looked to Anton and spoke, "You really captured my good side."

"Mine too." Spike added.

"That's how I work." Anton answered cool-like, "And, Ember, Zayton and I were wondering about something."

"What's that?" she wondered.

Zayton spoke, "Can we call you 'Big Sister'?"

Ember was taken aback by the boys request, but deep down felt happy at the idea. She smiled and answered, "Sure thing, brothers," she chuckled and ruffled the boys heads, "You two take care of yourselves now, ok?"

"You can count on us, Big Sis." Anton answered, as the boys saluted her like soldiers.

Ember laughed, as she returned the salute before flapping her wings and flew off for home. Spike turned to his friends, "So what did you think of her?"

"She was very nice." Fluttershy admitted.

"She was all right by me." Rainbow added.

"She's fun." Pinkie grinned.

"She's a mighty good friend ya made in the Dragon Lands, Spike." Applejack smiled.

"She was awesome!" Zayton cheered.

"Wickedly awesome!" Anton finished.

"I knew you'd like her." Spike smiled.

"She's like the big sister I've always wanted." Anton smiled, wile thinking if he did have someone like her as an older sister maybe things would've turned out different for him.