• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 15,024 Views, 318 Comments

Finding Happiness - Wildcard25



A boy with no parents and a cruel aunt and cousin runs away and is brought to Equestria in hopes of finding a place where he belongs.

  • ...
14
 318
 15,024

A New Friend

The next morning, Fluttershy and Anton decided to inform the rest of the girls of what went on last night. The two left the cottage and made their way to Twilight's castle.

As they arrived they went inside and entered the throne room to see Twilight, Spike, and the rest of the girls were already there.

"Morning, girls." Fluttershy greeted them.

"Morning, Fluttershy. Morning, Anton." Twilight greeted them.

"Morning." Anton greeted them.

"We're so glad you made it. Twilight has some good news for us." Rarity said with excitement.

"What a coincidence. We have some good news too." Anton replied.

"Ooh, what is it?" Pinkie asked curiously.

"Oh, maybe Twilight should go first with her news." Fluttershy brushed it off.

"Don't worry. My news can wait. What's your news?" Twilight inquired.

Anton spoke, "Well, girls. Last night I've decided to recognize Fluttershy as my new official mother."

"Huh?!" the girls gasped.

"I know. I was a little taken aback by his request as well," Fluttershy admitted, "But I couldn't say no."

"Fluttershy, Anton, this is... This is great news!" Twilight gasped.

"It is?" Fluttershy asked, until Rainbow zipped over wrapping her hooves around Fluttershy and Anton.

"Of course it is. I was actually wondering when it would happen."

"Well, it happened." Anton chuckled.

"Oh, I'll need to start planning a "Fluttershy and Anton Mother Son party"!" Pinkie bounced around, before Applejack stopped her.

"Easy there, sugarcube."

"It's so wonderful," Rarity beamed, "Though Anton, why finally made you decide to address Fluttershy as your mother?"

"I sort of had a little encouragement." he answered, while the girls were confused.

Spike spoke, "Well, Twilight. I think you can tell them your news now."

Twilight remembering her news spoke, "Oh, that's right," Twilight levitated a message up, "I just received this message this morning from Princess Celestia. We're all invited to the Grand Galloping Gala."

The girls and Spike cheered, while Anton looked confused, "The what?"

Rarity answered, "Well, Anton, dear. The Grand Galloping Gala is an annual special event held at Canterlot Castle."

"So it's a party?"

"That's right. Although not like my parties." Pinkie replied.

"And not just any pony can attend," Rainbow noted, "You'd really have to be on the list. Unless you count us, of course. Being tight with the Princess makes us automatic guests."

"I see." Anton replied, until Twilight trotted over to him.

"And the Princess has also invited you, Anton."

Anton looked surprised, "Me? Really?"

"Of course. Since you're new to Equestria, it is important you experience all the exciting events we have to offer." Twilight explained.

"Well, if she wants me I guess I'm there."

"Splendid," Rarity said, before eyeing Anton up, "Although we'll need to outfit you with something more formal and appropriate."

"You got something in mind?" Anton inquired.

"Indeed I do. Well, we better get to work. After all the Gala isn't far away." Rarity reminded the others.

"Agreed. Let's get to work." Twilight instructed, as they all left for Rarity's place.


At Rarity's shop, Rarity was hard at work designing dresses for herself, the girls, and Anton. But being friends the rest of the girls were helping out their generous friend in any way they could.

Soon the six girls stood wearing new dresses in the style that complimented their individual personalities. Spike looked at them in wonder.

"You all look amazing!" He said, while his eyes were mostly focused on Rarity.

The six smiled, while feeling a tad embarrassed. Rarity called over to a changing room, "Anton. Everything ok in there?"

"Yes." he answered.

They waited, until the curtain opened up. Stepping out was Anton wearing black dress shoes, black pants, a black tuxedo jacket with a dark blue dress shirt and black neck tie underneath.

Anton did a pose and asked, "What do you think?"

"Anton, you look perfect." Fluttershy said in marvel.

"Not bad there, buddy." Applejack agreed.

"You look positively fabulous." Rarity chimed.

"Of course, he's wearing an outfit you designed." Rainbow reminded her.

"I know." Rarity giggled.

"What do you think, Anton?" Twilight asked.

"Well, never really thought how I'd look in a tux. Then again the last time I wore something formal wasn't really for a happy occasion."

"Right." Twilight remembered the clothes he was wearing when they first found him.

"But this is much more uplifting to me." Anton checked his suit out.

"Quite so. You'll really look like you fit in at the Gala now." Rarity said.

"So who can I expect to be at this Gala?"

"Mostly it's ponies from Canterlot, and various other upper class ponies." Twilight explained.

"In other words the rich, elitist, and snob types?" Anton asked dryly.

"Just about." Rainbow replied.

"Don't worry, Anton. Not every pony at the Gala is like that." Twilight assured him.

"If you say so."

"But just for a heads up, the Gala can get boring." Rainbow warned him.

"It can?"

"Yeah, but something happens to liven things up." Applejack said.

"Like when we trashed it the first time." Pinkie spoke up.

"Trashed it?" Anton asked the girls in disbelief.

The girls felt sheepish, as Fluttershy spoke, "The first time we went there, we all tried to do our own things with little result. And then we tried too hard to make it better for ourselves and nearly ruined it."

"How?"

Pinkie spoke up, "Well, I staged dive into Applejack who tried selling her family produce in a fancy way which ended up splattering on Rarity who was used as a pony shield by another who she got cake on in retaliation who bumped into a statue that Rainbow tried to stop only to knock over more statues and Fluttershy terrified the animals of the garden into the ballroom resulting in a catastrophe!" she grinned.

Anton stood there looking shocked, "Wow."

"Luckily it didn't upset the Princess as much as I thought it would." Twilight said in relief.

"Yeah. She thought what happened was probably the best thing that could've happened." Spike chuckled.

"And last year's gala was a bit messy." Fluttershy admitted.

"A bit?!" Rarity gasped, "Try a lot!"

"Messy how?" the boy asked.

"The whole ballroom got covered with green magic resisting ooze." Pinkie answered.

"Do I even wanna know?" Anton asked the others.

"It's best you don't." Fluttershy replied.

"Well, this time we're hoping nothing too crazy happens." Twilight said.

"Indeed. Too much excitement can be exhausting." Rarity agreed.

"Not for me." Pinkie grinned, as the girls playfully rolled their eyes.


A few days later it was nighttime in Canterlot, ponies were gathering into the castle for the Grand Galloping Gala. Twilight, the girls, Spike, and Anton entered and looked around seeing all the guests mingling and walking around.

"Looks like a full castle." Anton said.

"Good evening." came a voice, as Celestia approached them all dressed up as well.

Twilight and her friends bowed, followed by Spike and Anton, "Good evening, Princess Celestia." Twilight greeted her mentor.

"You all look magnificent, especially you, Anton." Celestia winked.

Anton blushed a bit before answering, "Thank you, Princess. And I have to say as stunning as you already are. That gown only further compliments your natural beauty."

Celestia giggled, "Oh, you're such a flatterer."

"And Princess, Fluttershy and Anton have great news." Twilight added.

"I'm listening."

"Well, Anton asked me if he could start calling me mom. And I said yes." Fluttershy smiled, as Anton stood by her side.

Celestia smiled, "This is certainly wonderful news. I'm proud to see you've decided to move on from your troubles, Anton."

"Well, mostly I just decided to start treating Fluttershy more like family than just my foster guardian. There are still other things I've yet to move on from." he sighed, until Celestia laid a hoof on his shoulder.

"One thing at a time, Anton. No need to rush." Anton smiled and nodded.

"Well, we're gonna go check everything out. See ya soon, Princess." Applejack said, as the group walked on.

When they entered the main ballroom, Anton looked amazed at so many fancy dressed ponies, "Wow to the wow."

"Fascinating, isn't it?" Rarity asked.

"Yeah. I feel like Bruce Wayne at one of his company's parties." Anton said, as he and Spike chuckle.

"Well, just stay close to us and you won't get lost." Fluttershy said, as Anton nodded.

"Well, good evening my dear ladies." came a sophisticated voice.

The group looked and saw coming up to them was Fancypants and Fleur, "Fancypants, Fleur. Good evening to you both. So nice to see you."

"A delight as always, Rarity. So nice to see you ladies here at the gala." Fancy said, and suddenly took notice of Anton at Fluttershy's side, "And it looks like you've brought a guest. Who is this charming lad?"

"Oh, this is a new friend of ours," Rarity answered, before speaking to the boy, "Anton, this is Fancypants and Fleur. Now be a good boy and say hello."

"Right," Anton said, as he stood before the two ponies and bowed his head, "My name's Anton MacLeod. It's a pleasure to meet you both."

"The pleasure's all ours, my boy. And such well mannered, isn't he, Fleur?" Fancy asked his friend.

"Indeed so," The tall unicorn answered, as she looked at the boy, "And he's so cute too."

Anton felt flustered, and answered, "Thank you. And you yourself look absolutely beautiful. And you, Fancypants sir, look amazingly refined and sophisticated."

"Well, thank you, Anton my boy." Fancy thanked him.

"I very much appreciate your honest compliment." Fleur nuzzled his cheek a bit, as the boy continued to blush.

"Well, it was nice to see you two, but we should go and see more of the Gala." Twilight told them.

"Of course. Have a wonderful time, ladies." Fancy said, as he and Fleur were about to leave.

"Goodbye, Anton." Fleur winked at him.

"Uh, bye." Anton replied, still feeling flustered from the unicorn's beauty and flirts.


So the group continued to walk about the Gala, and enjoy themselves. Anton sat with Spike and the girls who were gossiping to each other.

The boy would take glances at the girls who were talking about stuff he didn't know about or just random things. He sighed before standing up, "I'm gonna get some punch, ok?" he told Fluttershy.

"Ok, Anton. Just remember where we are." Fluttershy told him.

"Right." Anton said dryly before getting up and walking over to the refreshment table.

He went to the punch bowl and filled a cup with the beverage. He eyed the punch in his cup and said to himself, "I hope this isn't spiked," he took a sip and tasted it, "Meh, tastes fine."

Rather than automatically go back to the table Anton instead took a seat on some of the many chairs set against the ballroom wall.

"I am so bored." he groaned, before taking another sip of his punch before.

"I am so bored." another voice said in the same bored tone as Anton.

Anton not truly paying attention glanced to his side before doing a double take seeing who was sitting two seats away from him.

It was a unicorn girl slightly taller than the CMC but shorter than the Mane six. She had an aqua blue coat, with her mane and tail colored dark brown that looked a little puffy. She had brown eyes, and her cutie mark was a podium with a mic. She was wearing a yellow and white mixed gown for the Gala.

When she noticed he was looking at her, she looked away a bit feeling nervous. She finally turned back to face Anton and smiled. Anton was fascinated by her shiny teeth that sparkled.

"Hi." he greeted her.

"Hi." she greeted back.

"My name's Anton. Anton MacLeod."

"I'm Pearl Gem."

"Nice to meet you."

"Likewise," Pearl said before studying him, "Forgive me, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like you before."

"I'm not native to any part of Equestria." Anton answered sheepishly.

"I can believe it. I've never seen anything like you in the history books I've read in school."

"If you wanna know what I am. I'm a human."

"Hu-man?"

"Yeah. So you're here at the Gala too?" Anton asked.

"Yeah. I thought it would be an experience walking among the elite and such at one of the greatest events in Canterlot..." Pearl began feeling excited, until it faded into disappointment.

"But it's not all you thought it would be?" Anton guessed.

"Yes." she sighed.

"I feel that way too. Place like this isn't meant for kids like us, I guess."

"No kidding. So who did you come here with? I'm here with my parents." Pearl said.

"Well, I'm here with my mom and her friends. One of them may be a pony you know. Twilight Sparkle."

Pearl gasped in shock, "Princess Twilight Sparkle?"

"Yeah. She's a friend of my mom."

"This is amazing. You're so lucky to have come here with a Princess."

"Maybe, but it doesn't make up for the fact how boring the Gala feels." Anton sighed.

"I know. I wish there were a way to liven it up." Pearl sighed.

Anton nodded, until a thought came to mind, "Maybe there's a way we can." he grinned.

"How?" Pearl asked.

"First off, can you dance?"

"Sure, but why?"

Before Anton could answer some swinging music started playing, and Anton told her, "Just follow my lead." he dragged her off, as she laughed from the tugging.

At the table, Celestia came over and spoke, "Everypony enjoying themselves?"

"Oh, we are, Princess." Twilight confirmed.

"Absolutely." Rarity agreed.

Celestia looked and noticed they were one short, "Fluttershy, where is Anton?"

Fluttershy's head shot up and looked seeing the empty spot, "Girls, Anton's not back."

"He's probably still at the refreshment table." Rainbow said.

"Nope. I was just there." Pinkie said, carrying some punch filled cups.

"Oh, no he's probably lost in the Gala." Fluttershy started worrying, until a pony spoke up.

"You see those kids out there on the dance floor?"

"Yes. One of them isn't even a pony."

"But they're putting on quite a show."

The girls gasped, "Anton!" the girls, Spike, and Celestia went over to a crowd of ponies gathered.

They got up front and to their surprise saw Anton swing dancing with Pearl, with the two dancing in perfect sync, while singing along to the music.

(You're the one that I want)

"You're the one that I want! Ooh ooh ooh! The one I need, oh yes indeed!" they held hands hooves before circling around.

The girls started smiling at this performance, as Celestia spoke, "Now this is a performance."

"Look at them go!" Rainbow cheered.

"They can sure move their hooves." Applejack noted.

"And they look so adorable together." Rarity cooed.

When the music ceased, the two struck a pose as the pony guests clapped their hooves in applause. Anton and Pearl smiled seeing they actually made the Gala fun for the two of them. Trotting over were Spike, the girls, and Princess Celestia.

"Anton." Fluttershy began, "That was amazing."

"You think?" Anton asked.

"Yeah. The way you moved like that." Spike added.

"Well, I just..." Anton trailed off, until Rarity spoke.

"Well, aren't you going to introduce us?"

"Oh, right. Everyone this is Pearl Gem, my new friend." he said, as Pearl smiled while blushing, "Pearl this is my mother, Fluttershy. Princess Twilight Sparkle, Spike, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and you should know Princess Celestia."

"It's nice to meet you all." Pearl bowed her head in respect, especially to the two Princesses.

"A pleasure as well, my dear." Celestia greeted her.

Twilight spoke to Anton, "Congratulations, Anton. You just made a new friend."

"Yeah." Anton smiled.

"Pearl!" came two voices.

The group looked over as a pony couple trotted over, "Mom. Dad." Pearl greeted.

"Sweetheart, your father and I saw your performance." her mom began.

"You did?"

"Yes. You were spectacular." her father said with pride.

"Thanks." she said feeling embarrassed.

"And who's this young lad you were performing with?" her mom noticed Anton.

"This is Anton MacLeod. He's my friend." Pearl explained.

Her father looked at the boy, "My dear boy, we want to thank you for showing our daughter such a lively experience. Both of you together out there was quite the show."

"Thank you, sir."

As Pearl's parents went on and on about Pearl and Anton to the girls, the two kids took this as a chance to sneak away for some alone time.

"That was amazing. And you were incredible, Anton." Pearl smiled.

"You weren't so bad yourself, Pearl."

"Thanks. We really did liven things up."

"We sure did. I think we can both agree this has been the best night ever." Anton said, as Pearl nodded in agreement.


After awhile, some of the guests were clearing out. Pearl and her parents were saying goodbye to Anton and the others.

"It was nice meeting you, Anton."

"Same here, Pearl. And listen if you're ever in Ponyville, look me up."

"Same with me if you're in Canterlot again."

"I will." Anton promised.

"Pearl, sweetie. Time to go." her mom called over.

"Coming, mom! See you soon, Anton." Pearl trotted over to her parents.

Fluttershy smiled at the boy, "We're proud of you, Anton."

"Yeah. You and Pearl made quite the duet." Applejack agreed.

"Thanks. I'm glad her parents are just the overly child praising type, instead of the stereotypical overprotective type." he joked, and they chuckled.

"Anton!" Pearl called, as she ran back over.

"Pearl?" he wondered.

"I just wanted to thank you for making this night the best I've had."

"You're welcome." he answered, and suddenly to his and everyone's surprise Pearl leaned in and pecked Anton on the cheek. The girls and Princess Celestia giggled at Pearl's move while Spike smirked with pride at his buddy.

Anton looked dumbfounded by the gesture, as Pearl smiled and giggled before galloping off. Anton stood before laying a hand on his cheek where Pearl kissed him.

"Wow to the wow." he said in amaze, while the group laughed at his reaction knowing he was never going to forget this night for sure.