• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 15,024 Views, 318 Comments

Finding Happiness - Wildcard25



A boy with no parents and a cruel aunt and cousin runs away and is brought to Equestria in hopes of finding a place where he belongs.

  • ...
14
 318
 15,024

Part time Job

It was one afternoon in Ponyville, Anton was riding into town on his bike passing by various ponies who were going about their daily activities.

"Hi, Lyra! Hi, Bonbon!" He called out to the two inseparable best friends.

"Hi, Anton!" they greeted him back.

Anton rode along and spotted Cheerilee, "Afternoon, Ms. Cheerilee!"

"Afternoon to you too, Anton." the teacher pony greeted her student.

Next pony Anton spotted was Time Turner aka Doc, "Hey, Doc! What's up?"

"Anton, my dear boy. All is well. In fact I have lots of new theories I intend on proving true today." the scientist pony answered.

"Good luck with those!" Anton replied, as he rode on.

Over a week had passed, and Anton had learned the names of just about everypony in town, and even others like Zecora who lived in the Everfree Forest.

Anton spotted Sugarcube Corner up ahead and said to himself, "I could go for a shake right about now," he pulled up outside the place and locked his bike in place, "Stay here, Silver." he went inside seeing business was as usual from what he was told booming.


He saw the owners the Cakes busy filling out orders for their customers, while at the same time keeping an eye on their twins. He walked up to the counter and greeted the two, "Afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Cake."

"And a good afternoon to you, Anton dearie." Mrs. Cake greeted him.

"What can we get for ya?" Mr. Cake inquired.

"Chocolate milkshake, extra whipped cream."

"Coming up." Mrs. Cake answered, as she placed the order.

Anton looked around seeing all the customers, "Sure is busy around here."

"It sure is. You wouldn't believe how many orders and customers we've been getting as of late." Mr. Cake explained.

"Well, good business here is a good thing, right?" the boy inquired.

"It's the best. Especially with the new recipe's Pinkie Pie's been helping us make lately." Mrs. Cake noted.

"I heard she works here. How is Pinkie today?"

"Oh, she's just her usual Pinkie Pie self." Mr. Cake humored him, and the three laughed.

Suddenly popping up at Anton's side was Pinkie herself, "Somepony call me?"

"Hi, Pinkie." Anton greeted her.

"Anton! How's my little buddy?!" she hugged Anton tightly.

"All good." Anton cringed from the tight embrace.

"Did you order this?" Pinkie asked, as she pulled up the milkshake order Anton requested.

"So quickly." Anton gasped.

"I know," Pinkie giggled, "Drink up."

"Thanks," Anton said, as he took a sip of his milkshake and smiled, "Delicious." He continued to drink it while using a little spoon to scoop some of the whipped cream up and eat it. After finishing his milkshake he spoke, "That hit the spot., he took out a little bag filled with bits given to him by Fluttershy. After paying the exact amount of bits, he was prepared to leave, "I'll see you all later."

He was about to turn and go only to be stopped by Pinkie, "Stop!" Anton halted.

"What?" he looked back wondering if he was in trouble.

"I just had this super amazing perfect idea!" Pinkie sprung around.

"And that is?" Anton inquired.

"How would you like to work with me in the kitchen? You know earn a few bits for the heck of it?"

"Am I even allowed to be back there?" Anton wondered.

"Of course you are. Can Anton help me, please?" Pinkie pleaded to the Cakes, "I promise to show him the ropes and take full responsibility." she declared, while standing like a solider.

"Well, if you'll make sure he stays out of trouble and not burn himself." Mrs. Cake answered.

"Then it's all right by us." Mr. Cake finished.

"Yippee!" Pinkie bounced up and down with joy, before holding Anton close, "Come on, Anton. Let me show you the kitchen." she took Anton around back.


Anton followed Pinkie into the kitchen seeing it looked almost like an average house kitchen, but had more supplies and baking tools, along with ingredients for baking.

"Wow to the wow." Anton gasped.

"Impressed?" Pinkie nudged him.

"Somewhat. I've never been in the kitchen of a sweets shop before."

"Well, now you have. And this is where the magic happens." Pinkie explained with a smirk.

"Well, then let's make some magic." Anton humored her and the two laughed.

"First thing's first. Safety," Pinkie said, as she placed a white apron on Anton which was just his size. And on his head she put a hairnet, "There, you're all set."

Anton looked up at his head, "Hairnet's. I do not look good in one." he said to himself.

"All right, Anton. Today I'm gonna teach you how to make my specialty... Cupcakes!" she threw confetti up above them.

"Sounds good. Shall we begin?"

"Coming up." Pinkie got out all the supplies and began combining the mix, egg yolk, and flour into batter, "Anton will you get me four of those cupcake trays over there?"

"Sure thing, Pinkie." Anton answered, as he walked over to a counter and picked up four trays. He sat them down on the table before Pinkie, "Will these do?"

"Perfect. Next we pour the batter into the tray. But we gotta pour it in each spot evenly otherwise it just won't be right." Pinkie warned him.

"I understand."

"Here, you give it a try," she offered Anton. The boy took the bowl of batter and gently poured it into one tray. After he filled one up he looked to Pinkie, "Is this right?"

"That's perfect. Now let's do the others." Pinkie answered while feeling proud.

Anton smiled seeing he did it right, continued to pour the rest of the batter into the other trays. Once all the trays were filled, Pinkie popped them into the over and set the timer.

"Now we wait." Pinkie said.

"Of course," Anton replied, knowing that much. They waited, as Anton spoke up, "So how long have you been working here at Sugarcube Corner?"

"Ever since I moved to Ponyville. It's been a super fun job. Here I get to make all sorts of yummy treats, and get to watch the happy faces of ponies who enjoy them."

"Sounds like a job meant for you." Anton smiled.

"It sure is," Pinkie answered, as the oven beeped, "Done!"

The party pony opened the oven and after placing mitts on pulled the trays out one by one. After waiting a bit for them to cool, Pinkie turned to Anton, "Next comes the fun part. The decorating!"

"Can't wait." Anton said knowing decorating them is the fun part.

Pinkie brought out all the frosting and sprinkles, "Think of this as arts and crafts. Make the cupcakes look pretty. So pretty you'll find it extra tasty."

"Ok, let me see." Anton picked the piping tool with blue frosting.

"Excellent choice." Pinkie admitted, as Anton gently applied the frosting to the cupcake in a circular motion before leaving a little whip at the top, "Now the sprinkles. What will you pick, grasshopper?" she asked with a wise tone.

Anton looked at all the sprinkles in different colors and patterns. Trusting his instincts Anton picked the container containing sprinkles that were designed like little white stars. He sprinkled some one the cupcake making it look ready.

"How is it?" Anton asked Pinkie.

Pinkie inspected the cupcake up close from all angles, before turning to her human friend, "This may just be... THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CUPCAKE EVER DESIGNED!" she cheered.

Anton's worried look suddenly became an excited one, "You think so?"

"I know so. You learned well my apprentice. In fact let's name this after you."

"After me?"

"Yes. We'll call it the MacLeod."

Anton smiled, "Perfect. A work of art if I do say so myself."

"Come on, let's decorate the others." Pinkie said, as the two continued to decorate the rest of the cupcakes.


When they were done, Pinkie placed them on a plate and brought them out of the kitchen with Anton at her side.

"How did it go?" Mr. Cake asked Pinkie.

"A success. See what we made?" she showed them.

The Cakes looked at the plate and were impressed at the designs. Mrs Cake looked at Anton and spoke, "And you helped Pinkie with this?"

"Indeed I did, ma'am." Anton confirmed.

"Well, thank you. We really appreciate this." Mr. Cake thanked him.

"No problem." Anton answered, until he looked and saw walking into Sugarcube Corner was Pipsqueak, Featherweight, Button Mash, and Rumble, "Hey, there are my boys!"

The four colts looked over seeing Anton at the counter. They trotted over and greeted him, "Hi, Anton." Button greeted him.

"We heard from Fluttershy you were in town." Rumble noted.

"What're you up to?" Featherweight inquired.

"I was just baking with Pinkie Pie here. See I helped make these cupcakes." he motioned to the plate.

The four eyed the delicious treats while holding back the urge to salivate, "Wow. They look so tasty." Pipsqueak said.

"Think we can sample?" Rumble asked.

Anton looked at the Cake's, "Can they?"

The couple smiled, as Mr. Cake answered, "First one's on the house."

"Thanks." Anton smiled, as he slid the plate closer to his friends. Each of them took one and ate it.

"Yum." Featherweight smiled.

"Delicious." Button said.

"So good." Rumble added.

"Anton, you once again proved your artwork knows no bound." Pipsqueak finished.

"Thanks. But I can't take all the credit. I did have plenty of help." he smiled at Pinkie who returned him a smile.

Suddenly Pinkie gasped, "I just got another brilliant idea, Anton."

"What is it?"

"How would you like to work part time here?"

Anton was suddenly flabbergasted, "Me work here at Sugarcube Corner?"

"Why not? I mean it would be part time of course. What do you think Mr. and Mrs. Cake?" Pinkie asked the two.

"Well, we always could use an extra hoof around here." Mr. Cake admitted.

"But we will have to ask Fluttershy if it's ok with her." Mrs. Cake noted.

"I'll talk to her about it," Pinkie replied, and looked at Anton, "How about it, Anton. Would ya wanna work here?"

"Well, I could use a way of earning bits. Even if it's part time. So sure. If Fluttershy agrees I wouldn't mind working here."

"Great!" Pinkie cheered and hugged Anton, "We'll make all sorts of things together. And if you do a good job I may show you someplace that only me and my friends know about." she whispered into his ear.

"What's that?" Anton asked, while confused at her mysterious tone.

"You'll find out someday." Pinkie sneakily motioned to the floor knowing what lies underneath Sugarcube Corner.

Anton just shook it off, before seeing Mr. Cake offer Anton one of the cupcakes, "Why don't you go and join your friends. You've earned it."

Anton smiled, and accepted the cupcake, "Thanks." he went to join his friends, as the three watched him.

"He's such a nice boy isn't it?" Mrs. Cake asked.

"He sure is." Pinkie agreed, while wishing he didn't have such a hard life before coming to Equestria.