• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 15,025 Views, 318 Comments

Finding Happiness - Wildcard25



A boy with no parents and a cruel aunt and cousin runs away and is brought to Equestria in hopes of finding a place where he belongs.

  • ...
14
 318
 15,025

Anton MacLeod

In the dream void, Princess Luna the co-ruler of Equestria was keeping check on the dreams of many young fillies and colts to make sure they had no nightmares.

The Princess of the Night smiled seeing no harm has plagued anypony's dreams, "Yes, little ones. Sleep and dream on of sweet things," she said, until she heard the sound of sniffling, "What's this? A cry of distress. I must investigate." she walked down the corridor of doorways into others dreams before she stopped at the end of the line.

Her horn glowed with her magic aura and a vision bubble appeared where she saw someone. It looked like a boy that had the body of an ape-like being with short black hair on his head and green eyes. She could see the boy was lying against a tree while using a hoodie as a blanket to keep warm as the cold wind blew around. Luna looked at the boy who was roughly ten of age and could see he was in distress.

"Who is this boy, and why is he in so much pain?" Luna inquired until a new door manifested before her. Luna saw the door was brown with the image of drawing tools from pencils and paint on it. Above it hung a sign with a name inscribed on it.

Luna read the name making sure to pronounce it right, "Anton MacLeod. Ok, let's see what's behind the source of his pain." she opened the door and entered his dream.


Inside his dream world memory, Luna saw the boy Anton in a bedroom. He was sitting on his bed while drawing in a sketchbook.

Luna watched until she saw another boy walk in. This boy looked about the same age at Anton, but looked taller.

He looked at Anton smugly, "Whatcha doin', cuz?"

The boy Anton looked over at his cousin with a bored expression, "I'm busy drawing, Rodney. So please give me some space."

"Well, whatcha drawing?" Rodney asked while trying to look over.

Anton hid his drawing, "It's not finished yet. So please go away." he said getting annoyed.

"Let me see!" Rodney grabbed his sketchbook and looked at it, "Oh, making more of your little characters again?" he mocked.

"Give it back!" Anton ordered, as he pulled Rodney down on his bed while trying to grab his sketchbook back.

"Mom! Mom!" Rodney cried.

Walking in was a woman who was what was going on. She ran over and pried Anton off, "Anton MacLeod, stop that at once, you little juvenile!"

Rodeny got off the bed and threw the sketchbook to the floor and looked at Anton with anger, "I hate you! I hate you! You're only here because mom says it's our Christian duty!" he stormed off.

Anton glared at his cousin who once again always set things up to get him in trouble with his mom. Rodney's mother looked at Anton with disappointment, while Anton knew she always babied her own son and believed everything he said. Luna watched in shock at what happened between the boys and how the aunt assumed Anton was the cause.


The scene shifted outside the house, where Luna watched Anton who was sitting on a porch, while overhearing his mother talking to his aunt inside the house, "Now you know you're welcomed to stay here as long as you want, Stacey." the aunt began.

"Thank you, Katrina." Anton's mom answered.

"But you need to do something about that boy of yours. You're too soft on him. To be a good mother you have to show a firm hand."

Anton frowned at what his aunt was telling his mother, until he saw her come out and sit beside him, "We'll have a home of our own soon, Anton. I promise."

"They wouldn't treat us like this if dad was still alive," Anton said while crossing his arms, "And she wonders why Uncle Ron left her."

"I know," Stacey replied, "But listen, as long as we're guests in this house I need you to help me. So just please go inside and apologize."

"Apologize for what?" Anton asked in disbelief, "He always does this! He gets in on my case even when I try to be polite and he then pretends to be the victim just to make himself look innocent. For crying out loud, mom, they always do this to us!"

"Anton, please." Stacey pleaded with him.

"No! Dad told me on his deathbed to be strong and look after this family. And I promised I would. But there's only so much I can do to be strong," Anton noticed his mom still didn't look any braver, "Mom, come on. She may be your sister but she has no right to treat you like this. And if you're not going to do anything about it then I will!" he said, while on the verge of tears.

"Anton," Anton had nothing more to say and just ran off the porch and got on his bike before riding off, "Anton, wait!" Stacey cried, but knew he wouldn't be coming back so soon.

Luna watched Anton ride off before the scenery shifted. The Princess saw she was now by a riverside in a forest. She looked seeing Anton sitting by the water and tossing rocks into the water.

"Dad, I'm sorry," he began, "But Aunt Katrina's got mom so wrapped around her finger she won't stand up for herself anymore. I know I promised I'd look after the family. But it's just too hard." he looked down with tears falling into the river leaving ripples. Luna looked at the boy seeing so much sadness in his heart and feared this wasn't the end of it.


Another scene shift occurred in the memory, and she found herself back at the house where squad cars were gathered. Anton rode up the driveway and got off his bike before running inside the house.

"Mom?" he asked but saw only his aunt Katrina and Rodney on the couch with a few cops surrounding them, "Where's mom?"

One of the cops came over, "Son, there's no easy way to tell you this, but your mom's been shot."

Luna gasped upon hearing that, while Anton looked distraught, "What?"

"I'm sorry." the cop apologized with deep concern.

"How did this happen?"

Katrina explained, "After you left, she went looking for you. Some mugger came by and robbed her. She fought back, but the thief shot her."

"We've apprehended the perpetrator, but your mom... I'm so sorry." the cop finished. Luna looked at Anton whose face was written with shock and trauma.


With another scene shift, Luna was standing in a cemetery on a cloudy day while watching a funeral take place. She saw people gathered around as the coffin was being lowered into the ground. She noticed up front was Anton who watched as his mother was slowly lowered into the ground. Luna watched as his Aunt Katrina stood close by him while noticing she was bearing a sinister smile on her face.

Luna then found herself back at the house, where Anton, Katrina, and Rodney returned to after the funeral. She looked at the aunt and could tell something bad was about to occur.

"Anton, we need to talk." she began.

"About what, Aunt Katrina?" Anton asked.

"I think you know what." she replied.

"No, I don't know. Why don't you enlighten me?" he asked, while annoyed by her riddling words.

"Fine. I'll spell it out for you," Katrina replied, "There's going to be some changes around here."

"Changes?"

"That's right. If you're going to be living with us, we need to set some ground rules."

"What rules?"

"First off, there will be no more of your juvenile behavior."

Katrina was cut off by Anton, "Juvenile behavior? Well, that's a big fat lie!"

"Don't you raise your voice at me, young man," Katrina warned him, while Rodney stood by her side looking as smug as always, "Your mom was too soft on you, and that's what made her a bad mother. But under my rules you will learn to respect your elders."

Anton stood there getting angrier with every word his aunt said, until he snapped, "Too soft on me? Bad mother?! Interesting choice of words coming from you, Aunt Katrina!"

"What was that?" she asked with a growl.

"My mom was never soft on me. She treated me with kindness and love. Something you never knew about. She was the best mother ever, but you didn't want her to know that. You bullied and belittled her into thinking she was a bad parent, but you were always the bad parent! That's why Uncle Ron left you!"

Luna gasped seeing the boys finally unleash his pent up emotions, and watched the scene continue to play out. Katrina looked at him grimly.

"You ungrateful juvenile. It was because of you your mom is dead!"

"I don't believe that." Anton replied, still standing his ground.

"If you hadn't run off and left your mom she wouldn't have gone out trying to find you. Meaning she wouldn't have gotten shot!" Anton flinched hearing that and felt there was truth to that, "So you see, your mothers death was all your fault!" Katrina guilt bombed him.

Anton snapping back to normal, angry grabbed a small glass candle holder, "You liar!" he threw the candle holder at Katrina who caught it, but ended up backing into the couch and fell over it.

"You jerk!" Rodney called him out, as Anton made a break for his room. Rodney ran after him, "I don't care if it's my christian duty to help you. I'm gonna teach you some manners!"

Anton frowned as his cousin was running at him blindly, "Will you shut your mouth!" Anton angrily punched Rodney in the mouth making him fall to the floor and cry from the hit. Anton himself recoiled and shook his fist from how the punch hurt his knuckles. He quickly went into the room and barricaded the door with his desk.

"I've had it with this place. I'm getting out of here." he grabbed his backpack and packed some chips and cookies he hid in his room, along with a couple comic books, his blue hoodie, and finally his sketchbook and writing utensils.

Suddenly there was pounding on his door, "ANTON, YOU OPEN THIS DOOR IMMEDIATELY. YOU ARE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE!" Katrina's screaming voice came, as she tried prying the door open.

Anton paid no mind to her words, and opened his window. He climbed out it and shimmied down the drain pipe reaching the driveway. He went to his bike and picked it up, "Come on, Silver. We're out of here." he jumped on and peddled off without looking back.


Luna watched him peddle off before suddenly finding herself back by the river in the forest where Anton arrived at. He got off his bike and placed it against the tree. He panted before sitting down by the tree and cried.

"I can't go back now. I've got nowhere to go. I don't know what to do." he buried his face into his knees.

Luna watched as the memory dream ended and she was back in the dream void, "That poor child. Enduring such hardships and ridicule. He will not last long out there on his own and at such a young age. I must do something for him... And I know just what to do. I have to concentrate though. This kind of teleportation magic is very draining." she started concentrating hard as her horn glowed.

From the other world, Anton's body started to glow while he was too fast asleep to even realize what was going on.

Suddenly Luna's magic died down and she looked tired, "The transportation has been complete. Now I must rest," she looked at the vision bubble seeing Anton still asleep against a tree with his bike close to him, "Sleep, young one. And tomorrow you will find happiness." she left the dream void.

From Anton's POV, he could suddenly hear bird calls signaling it was morning. He sat up and yawned before rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, "What a night." he groaned before looking around and realized something wasn't right, "Wait a minute, where's the river?" he saw the trees, "I don't' recognize these trees. Where am I?" he asked in worry.

He looked around seeing nothing but spooky shaped trees, and despite knowing it was morning, there wasn't much sunlight peeking through the thick trees. He looked around before spotting a path, "A path that'll lead me out of here." he said with hope, until he started hearing various hoots, growls, and cries from all around him.

He jumped on his bike and announced, "High-ho, Silver. Away!" he started peddling off down the path passing by more and more trees. He continued to hear various noises all around him. This caused him to peddle harder and faster and not wanting to see what was making those noises.

He looked up ahead and saw a faint ray of light, "Sunlight. I'm almost there!" he continued peddling for his life. By the time he reached the edge of the forest he was so caught up in peddling he didn't see he was riding right up on a rock that jerked his front wheel and made him lose balance. The bike fell over with him falling off and onto the ground landing unconscious.


Meanwhile at a cottage not too far from the forest, Fluttershy had all her friends over for tea outside.

"This is some exquisite tea, Fluttershy." Rarity said, as she took a sip of her cup.

"Thank you, Rarity. I'm just glad you could all come." Fluttershy replied.

"It's too nice of a day to stay inside." Pinkie noted, as she ate a cookie.

"I'll say it is." Twilight agreed.

Suddenly Angel the bunny came scampering over and tried getting his owners attention, "What is it, Angel?"

Angel did charades while communicating with her, as Applejack spoke, "What's up with him?"

"He can't still be hungry," Rainbow Dash said, "Didn't you just give him a whole bowl of salad?" she asked Fluttershy.

"It's not that. He's says there's something by the Everfree Forest. And it's hurt." she gasped.

"A hurt animal?" Applejack asked.

"I'm not sure. Angel doesn't know what it is." Fluttershy said.

"We better check this out." Twilight said, as they bolted from the table and followed Angel.

They headed right to the Everfree Forests entrance close to the cottage. They came skidding to a halt, and gasped. They saw Anton lying on the ground passed out with his bike lying beside him.

"What is it?" Applejack asked.

"I don't know." Fluttershy answered.

"Girls, that's a human." Twilight answered.

"A human?" the five ponies asked.

"Yes. And it's just a kid." Twilight said, as they trotted over to him.

"Is he?" Fluttershy asked in worry.

Twilight leaned down and listened to his heart, "He's alive. Guess he just fell off his bike here." The girls looked relieved, as Spike wondered.

"How'd he get here?"

"I don't know, but we can't leave him out here." Twilight said.

"Let's bring him inside." Fluttershy suggested, as Twilight levitated the boy onto her back.

Twilight turned to Applejack and Rainbow Dash, "Bring that bike with."

Applejack and Rainbow nodded as they picked the bike off and pushed it along as they headed for Fluttershy's cottage.

As they walked, Fluttershy looked at the boy with much concern, and thought, 'How did you get all the way out here?'

Author's Note:

I've read so many inspiring adopt a human stories I felt like it was time to take a crack at it. I thank author APoeticHeart for being such a good inspiration.