• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 15,024 Views, 318 Comments

Finding Happiness - Wildcard25



A boy with no parents and a cruel aunt and cousin runs away and is brought to Equestria in hopes of finding a place where he belongs.

  • ...
14
 318
 15,024

Zayton's Voice

On a train bound for Canterlot, Anton, Zayton, and their Ponyville friends were relaxing while awaiting to arrive at their destination, "You're gonna love Canterlot, Zayton. I just know it." Twilight told the former drawing in excitement.

"Well you've been talking about it for the last few hours." Zayton reminded her.

"Really? I hadn't noticed." Twilight replied sheepishly.

"I did." Spike noted, much to Twilight's irritation.

Anton spoke, "Well, she has her reasons. I mean this is the first time you'll be meeting Royal sisters, Zayton."

"I know. How did you respond when you first met them?" Zayton inquired.

"Well, like any royalty I bowed to them as a sign of respect," Anton explained, "But when it comes to anyone they consider close we don't have to be so formal with them."

"Good to know," Zayton admitted, as they kicked back. As the brothers relaxed, Zayton was humming to himself as the girls listened in.

"She sets she sets the city on fire!" he sang to himself.

The girls looked to Fluttershy who spoke, "Lately, Zayton's been singing a lot to himself and occasionally to Anton. He even got Discord to add some special decorations to his new room."

"What kind of decorations?" Applejack asked.

"Some of which were posters of musical artists from Anton's world. Some of them were called Elvis, Elton John, Tom Jones, Billy Joel, Justin Timberlake, and those are just a few." the animal lover explained.

"Sounds like some boy's found his passion." Applejack motioned to Zayton.

"Perhaps I should introduce him to some of Sapphire Shores and Countess Coloratura's music." Rarity suggested.

"I'm sure he'd love those." Fluttershy agreed.


After pulling into Canterlot station, the group made their way through the city while Anton took notice of many ponies looking over in his direction while whispering to each other, "Is that really him?"

"Yes. The boy who took first place in the art expo."

"He must be an artistic genius."

Anton chuckled to himself, "Already I'm developing a fan club here."

"Well, you did make a great impression last time." Twilight reminded him.

"I know."

Zayton however noticed some ponies were giving him looks as well, but knew they were just curious about where he suddenly came from like they did about Anton.

When they reached the castle they went inside and walked along the halls before reaching the throne room where Celestia and Luna waited, "Good afternoon, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna." Twilight greeted them.

"And good afternoon to all of you too." Celestia replied.

"We hope your ride in had no problems." Luna hoped.

"No problem at all." Rainbow replied.

The two sisters turned to their young human friends, as Celestia greeted him, "And how're you today, Anton?"

"Never better, Princess."

"Twilight has told us you have created yourself a brother figure." Luna noted.

Anton looked sheepish before motioning Zayton over, "Yes I have. Princess Celestia. Princess Luna, this is my brother Zayton MacLeod."

"Nice to meet you both." Zayton bowed his head.

"We are pleased to meet you, Zayton." Luna greeted.

"Twilight mentioned you were once a drawing made by Anton, until he gave you life through magic paint." Celestia said.

"Yeah, that's right. But thanks to Twilight I'm bigger size," Zayton replied, "Which is good, because I couldn't stand riding around in Anton's pocket. You have any idea what kind of stuff he puts in here?"

Anton stopped him, "I don't think they need to hear that." the sisters giggled.

"Well, we think it's wonderful to see you have a sibling like yourself. So now you don't feel too distinct when around ponies." Celestia said.

"I know.' Anton agreed, as he and Zayton fist bumped.

"And we have a surprise for you, Anton." Luna said.

"What's that?" Anton inquired.

Suddenly poking out from behind the throne was Anton's pony friends Pearl Gem, "Yoo-hoo!" she called.

Anton's eyes lit up with joy, "Pearl!" his pony friend galloped over and embraced the boy who returned the gesture.

"Anton! I haven't seen you since the Art expo."

"I know. Feels like it was forever ago." Anton joked.

Pearl noticed Zayton and gasped, "Oh, my gosh. You must be Zayton! It's so incredible to meet you!" Pearl hugged the redhead.

"Nice to meet you too," Zayton admitted, "Anton said he had a close friend here in Canterlot. I didn't expect to meet her this quickly."

"I take it you're pleased with this surprise?" Celestia inquired.

"I am. Though how'd she know I'd be here?" Anton wondered.

"When we heard you would be coming for a visit we sent an invite to Pearl knowing she'd want to see you again." the Princess of the sun explained.

"Thanks, Princess. This is great." Anton said happily.

Fluttershy smiled seeing her son reunited with his friend, and turned to Spike, "Spike, why don't you help them in showing Zayton around the castle?"

"Sure, Fluttershy. Come on, guys. Follow me." Spike said, leading them off.

"This is great. I haven't seen every aspect of the castle." Pearl said in equal excitement.

As they left, Celestia spoke, "So, Fluttershy, how're things with raising not one but two sons now?"

"Oh, it's not so bad. Anton's never made it a problem for me, and Zayton hasn't either. Well at least of course there was the subject of school." Fluttershy said recalling what happened.

"Twilight informed us on both their first days Anton and Zayton had dealt with a troubling colt." Luna noted.

"Troubling is being nice," Rainbow said feeling bitter about what Uppercut first said to Anton, "That kid was so bratty and stuck up acting like he was the ruler of Equestria or something."

"But the boys won't have to worry about him anymore," Rarity assured the sisters, "They told us his parents pulled him out of school and moved back to Manehattan."

"But aside from that Anton and Zayton are still fitting in well amongst the school ponies and everypony else in town for that matter." Twilight added.

"We're pleased to hear that." Celestia smiled.

"Although when I occasionally pass Anton's room, I do hear him talk in his sleep." Fluttershy admitted.

"What sort of things does he talk about?" Applejack asked.

"He mostly talks about his birth mother. He really still misses her even though he's accepted me as his mother now."

"Wounds like that don't heal so easily no matter how much we claim to have moved past it." Celestia said, while looking over at Luna who was also in agreement.

"But I'm still doing all I can to be the best mother to Anton and Zayton as well." Fluttershy promised her.

"All you can do is your best which I'm sure is enough for them." Luna said, as Fluttershy smiled knowing how right she was.


Meanwhile, Spike, Pearl, and the bros were walking throughout the castle with both Zayton and Pearl seeing more of the castle than what they originally saw or was told of.

Zayton looked around feeling amazed, "Oh, man. And this castle has been around for over a thousand years?"

"That's right." Spike confirmed.

"They really know how to keep it in shape." Zayton said.

The group entered another hall seeing multiple works of art hanging on the walls, "This is where the castle's art is hung?" Anton looked around as if hoping to see something.

"Anton, over here!" Pearl called from further down the hall.

Anton, Zayton, and Spike went over to Pearl, and saw the painting she was looking at was Anton's prize winning painting from the expo, "Whoa," Zayton gasped, "Bro, you really made this?"

"Uh-huh. The Web of Equestria." Anton said proudly.

"They hung it here just as they said they would." Spike smiled.

"Now whenever anypony comes to the castle on tour or for any event, they can look at this and know the name Anton MacLeod," Pearl smiled to her friend. Anton smiled at his painting knowing how right Pearl was. Pearl then turned to Zayton, "So, Zayton, what about you? Do you have any hobbies or favorite pastimes?"

Zayton answered, "Well, I happen to like singing. But never done that in front of a crowd before."

"Stage fright?" Pearl asked.

"A little, and mostly because I'm still new to it."

"Was making him into music something you gave him when you made him, Anton?" Spike asked.

"No. Everything Zayton's developing from likes, dislikes, and hobbies are of his own choice." Anton explained.

"Well, I'd like to hear how you sound Zayton." Pearl said.

"Me too." Spike agreed.

"Better do it, bro. Or they won't stop." Anton chuckled.

Zayton sighed, "Well, not here. Spike, is there anyplace I can do this that has no prying eyes?"

"Leave it to me." Spike gave him a thumb's up.

Soon Spike led the three into the ballroom that was vacant. Zayton spotted the stage where the orchestra would perform or where the Princesses would stand to give speeches, "That's good enough." he climbed on stage and the others gathered around.

"Are you sure you'll be able to sing without music or something?" Spike inquired.

"Don't worry, the echo in this room should be enough to make my voice sound good enough." Zayton admitted.

"Well, sing on." Anton said, as he and Pearl stood close together.

"All right. Here's a little something going out to you all." Zayton began to sing.

As Zayton sang, the three were amazed at what a great voice he had. And Zayton was right, the echo affect in the empty ballroom was enough to make him sound loud enough and better.


Outside the ballroom, the princesses and the girls were walking through the hall hoping to run into the others, before they stopped and heard singing coming from the ballroom.

"Who is that?" Pinkie wondered.

"Whoever it is has some set of pipes." Applejack noted.

"I know who that is." Fluttershy gasped, as they peeked in and saw Zayton on the ballroom stage singing to Spike, Anton, and Pearl.

"Zayton?" Rarity gasped.

"He's a lot better than how he was on the train." Twilight noted, while seeing the royal sisters moving their heads to the rhythm.

"But, darling, stay with me!" Zayton finished.

Anton, Pearl, and Spike applauded, as Anton called, "That's my bro!"

"That was amazing." Spike said.

"Well, it wasn't much." Zayton replied modestly.

"Wasn't much? It was great." Pearl said.

"I definitely didn't give you that voice when I created you." Anton added.

Zayton rubbed the back of his head bashfully, until they heard more applauding. They saw their friends enter with Celestia speaking, "Very impressive, Zayton."

"Uh, how long have you all been there?" Zayton asked sheepishly.

"Long enough." Rainbow chuckled.

"I thought you sounded beautifully." Rarity commended him.

"You think so?" Zayton asked with a blush.

"Indeed," Luna agreed, "You have quite a talent, Zayton. Much like Anton's used his artistic mind to create someone like you, you yourself have a talent that could admired by ponies all over Equestria."

"Well, thanks. Maybe I will consider using my voice to bring happiness and excitement to others." Zayton considered.

"No rush, Zay. After all, we're still kids." Anton reminded him.

"Yeah. Kids." Zayton agreed.

"I happen to be good friends with a pop star here in Canterlot," Rarity stated, "If you like I can you to see her sometime so she can give you some pointers?"

Zayton smiled, "I'd like that."

Anton put his arm around Zayton, "Come on, bro. There's a lot more to cover here at the castle. And after we're getting doughnuts from Joe's."

"Mm, doughnuts." Zayton said dreamily, as the girls chuckled.