• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 15,024 Views, 318 Comments

Finding Happiness - Wildcard25



A boy with no parents and a cruel aunt and cousin runs away and is brought to Equestria in hopes of finding a place where he belongs.

  • ...
14
 318
 15,024

Brothers in arms

At Twilight's castle one afternoon, the Princess was gathering up some books on the cutie map table with Spike helping her. Suddenly the door opened, and entering was Fluttershy with Owlowiscious on her flank. Next to her was Anton with Nick the fox walking by his side. Behind the two were the rest of Twilight's friends. Twilight seeing them smiled, "I see you got my message." she motioned to Owlowiscious who flew onto Twilight's throne.

"We came as soon as we got it." Fluttershy answered.

"And we saw them coming this way, so naturally we joined them." Rarity spoke on behalf of herself and the others.

"So you found a spell to make Zayton normal size?" Anton inquired.

"I sure have. Took a week, but it paid off," Twilight answered, before asking, "Where is Zayton, anyway?"

"Down here!" Twilight looked down seeing Zayton riding on Nick's back, "Hey!" he called.

"This is a surprise," Spike said, "I thought you'd be riding in Anton's pocket."

"I've had enough of riding in that thing. You won't believe the stuff he keeps in there."

"And they don't need to hear that." Anton replied.

So Zayton dismounted Nick and stood in the center before Twilight, "Is this spot all right?" he asked.

"It's perfect." Twilight confirmed.

"Is this going to hurt?"

"Don't you'll be fine, but if you feel a little twinge that means it's starting to work," she answered, "Are you ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be." Zayton answered.

"Then here we go." Twilight activated her magic and shot a beam right onto Zayton.

Everyone was shocked hoping his was going to work. They could hear Zayton groaning as the magic was starting to affect his body. Suddenly everyone watched, as he started growing in size. When the magic died down, they saw Zayton had grown up to the same size as Anton.

Zayton got himself together and looked himself over. At first he was in shock, but that shocked expression changed into a look of excitement, "I'm big. I don't believe it! I'm big!" he cheered.

Anton walked up to him, "Well, bigger. But it's a start!" Anton cheered, as the two embraced in joy.

When they pulled apart, Zayton spoke, "Wow, feels weird being able to wrap my arms around you whole, instead of your finger."

"Now that you're a bigger size, you'll have to get used to it." Twilight explained.

"Thanks, Twi. You're the best." Zayton embraced the alicorn.

"You're welcome." she returned the gesture.

"And I'm glad you didn't make him taller than me." Anton answered feeling grateful.

"I kinda figure it's best there'd be no height difference between you two." Twilight replied.

"For the time being, Zayton, you'll have to continue sharing a room with Anton." Fluttershy explained.

"I'm ok with that if he is." Zayton motioned to his brother.

"No problem at all. Just don't hog the covers." Anton warned him.

"Deal."

"Then there's also the matter of enrolling you at the school house." Fluttershy added.

"You're enrolling me there?" Zayton asked.

"Anton is attending and so should you."

"Well, if you insist, mom." Zayton sighed.

"Hey, it's not so bad once you get used to it," Anton assured him, "And now that you're big, we'll have to have Twilight enlarge the clothes I created for you."

"And now that you're of regular size I can make my own designers wardrobe for you." Rarity offered.

"Thanks, Rarity."

Pinkie jumped around, "Come on, it's time we had a 'Congratulations for Growing Zayton Party'!" The group agreed to that and celebrated the rest of the day.

When nighttime came, Fluttershy and her two boys returned to their cottage. Up in the bedroom, Anton and Zayton laid on the bed side by side. Zayton spoke to his bro, "Feels good to lay on the bed full size now."

"I'll bet. Well, I hope you're ready for tomorrow. You're gonna be in for a lot of surprises." Anton told him.

"I can believe it."

"Well, night."

"Goodnight." Zayton replied, as the two fell asleep.


They very next morning, Anton and Zayton were walking to school. As they walked along the path, many of Ponyville's residents were curious about Zayton, since he was the second human they saw since Anton. Zayton looked around noticing their looks, "Jeez, did you get these looks when you first came to Ponyville?"

"All that and more." Anton answered.

"Great." Zayton sighed.

"Relax, they got used to me and they'll get used to you in no time flat." Anton assured him.

"I hope so." Zayton said, as they arrived at the school house.

"Here we are, and look there's Ms. Cheerilee." he motioned to the pony teacher coming over.

"Anton, good morning." she greeted.

"Good morning, Ms. Cheerilee."

Cheerilee noticed Zayton, "And this is your brother?"

"That's right, ma'am. Meet Zayton."

"Nice to meet you." Zayton greeted respectively.

"And very nice to meet you. Don't worry, Anton will walk you through everything, and if you have any questions please feel free to come to me."

"Thank you, Ms. Cheerilee."

"Now, come along boys. Class will be starting soon."

"Yes, ma'am." the boys answered, as they hurried inside the school house unaware of a familiar colt watching the two of them.

Inside the classroom, the kids were in their seats as Cheerilee and Anton stood before them, "Good morning, students." Cheerilee greeted them.

"Good morning, Ms. Cheerilee!"

"Before we begin our lesson, Anton and I have an announcement to make. We'd like to welcome another student who will be joining us from this point on." Cheerilee motioned Zayton over who stood next to Anton.

Anton spoke to his fellow classmates, "May I introduce to you, my brother!"'

"Zayton MacLeod. Nice to meet you all." Zayton greeted them.

"Are you two really brothers?" a colt asked.

"That we are." Anton confirmed.

"Who's the oldest?" a filly wondered.

The two boys gawked before chuckling sheepishly, as Zayton answered, "That's debatable."

"If you're Anton's brother, where've you been all this time?" another colt asked.

Cheerilee spoke up, "Now class there'll be plenty of time for questions later. Right now, we have lessons t go over."

"Yes, ma'am." they answered.

So Anton took his seat and Zayton found an open one next to his brother. The two boy smiled at each other knowing so long as they had each other they could handle the day. Zayton tensed up, feeling as if he was being watched from behind. He casually looked back seeing who was behind him, and among them that stuck out was Uppercut who was the only one looking ahead. Zayton could tell the colt was looking ahead at him and not at the board. He said nothing and looked forward to pay attention. So Zayton listened to the lesson and took notes like Anton did at his first day.


Later on at recess, Zayton was answering some questions the kids had with Anton providing his own two cents, "So you were actually a drawing made by Anton?" a filly asked.

"That's right. Anton drew me right down to the very last detail." Zayton explained.

"And with a little magic paint, Zayton was given life." Anton concluded.

"We were there to see it." Applebloom confirmed on behalf of herself, the CMC, and their friends.

"But if you were such a small drawing how come your much bigger now?" a colt asked.

"Princess Twilight used a spell to increase my size. And trust me I'm enjoying the feeling of being bigger now."

"This size does suit you better." Diamond Tiara said.

"I'll say it does." Pip agreed.

Zayton smiled, until they heard a scoff. All eyes turned on Uppercut, putting frowns upon everyone's faces, "You got something to say, Uppercut?" Rumble asked.

"Not much," he began, "Only how much this school has gone to the dogs now that they're letting more of his kind attend." he motioned to Anton.

"And what's wrong with our kind?" Zayton asked, before Anton could.

"Oh, nothing. If you like freaks." Uppercut replied rudely.

"Freaks?" Zayton gasped.

"Yeah. Freaks."

"Why you..." Zayton got ready to storm up to Uppercut, only for Anton to pull him back.

"Let it go, Zayton. This jerk ain't worth it." he glared at Uppercut. Uppercut glared back at him, until the bell rang, and everyone knew it was time to return to class.


The rest of the day went smoothly, and when class ended, the students were taking their leave. As the MacLeod boys left the building they saw their friends waiting, "So, Zayton, how did you like your first day?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Quite enjoyable. I think I could get used to this place." he answered.

"That's the spirit, bro." Anton playfully punched his shoulder.

"Oh, gag." Everyone looked and saw Uppercut once again ready to show all how obnoxious he was.

"What was that?" Zayton asked.

"Seeing you two losers acting all chummy is nauseating."

"Typical words from someone who hates everyone." Zayton retorted.

"Not everyone, just freaks of nature like you two."

"Come again?" Anton growled.

"Yeah, you heard me. I mean look at your 'brother'. You said so yourself he started off as a drawing. So he's not even real."

"Oh, he's as real as you or anything else." Anton replied firmly.

"Keep telling yourself that."

"What's this guy's problem?" Zayton asked his bro.

"He can't help it that it's his nature to be a major league jerk to anyone different from him," Anton began, "After all he was such an attention hound for being the last new student here before I came along."

"Attention hound?" Uppercut asked in outrage, "Interesting choice of words coming from you who acted like such a big shot when you first arrived."

"He did not act like a big shot." Applebloom argued.

"Yeah, all you did was act like a jealous creep." Silver spoon put in.

"He got me grounded!" Uppercut accused.

Anton rolled his eyes, "There you are doing it again, blaming me for your own faults."

"If you hadn't showed up here I never would've gotten in trouble at all!"

"Well, I'm here for life, so deal with it!" Anton shot back.

"Why don't you just get lost somewhere else?" Uppercut continued to bash Anton.

Anton was almost on the verge of going against his word of ignoring him because he wasn't worth it, until Zayton could no longer stand by watching his brother/creator take such grief from someone as bad as Rodeny. So he finally stood up to Uppercut, "Listen, Uppercut! You're being so mouthy right now. And if you keep this attitude up you're gonna mouth yourself right into a dungeon one of these days!" he wagged a finger at Uppercut.

Uppercut's eyes widened with anger at Zayton's warning, "If anyone belongs in a dungeon it's your and your loser brother! And I don't care how much support you have. One day you two will be locked up and I'll be there to spit in your faces when it happens!" All the colts were in shock at Uppercut's biased hatred, until a voice spoke up.

"Uppercut!" Uppercut tensed up and he looked back seeing an earth pony couple, "Mom! Dad!" he gasped.

"Those are his parents?" Anton wondered.

"How long have you two been standing there?" Uppercut winced feeling frightened.

"Long enough to see you haven't learned a thing from last time about treating others no matter how different with respect." his father answered, as his mother continued.

"We came to Ponyville not only because of how you were kicked out of your last school for bad behavior, but with hope you could actually make friends here. But I can see you still see yourself superior to all your classmates." she said with disappointment.

"But mom..."

"Let's go home!" his dad ordered. Uppercut shirked back, as he followed his parents without question. He looked back at Anton and Zayton who both frowned at him as if telling him they told him so.

When Uppercut left with his family, the rest of the fillies and colts went along home, except for the boys friends, "Are you two ok?" Pip asked.

"Couldn't be better." Anton answered.

"Are ya sure?" Scootaloo asked.

"Uh-huh." Zayton confirmed.

"We warned him this kinda thing would happen, and he took no notice." Anton explained.

"Come on, bro, let's get out of here." Zayton said.

"Yeah." Anton agreed, as the two walked off.


They walked back to Fluttershy's cottage, as the pegasus saw them coming up the path, "Anton! Zayton! Welcome home!"

"Hi, mom." the two greeted while sounding happier.

Fluttershy embraced her sons, "How was school today?"

"Was ok." Anton answered.

"How about you, Zayton?"

"All good. Made plenty of friends today."

"That's so good to hear." Fluttershy smiled.

"Although, Uppercut was making trouble again." Anton muttered.

Fluttershy hearing that gasped in shock, "What?!"

"Yeah, much like what he said to me on my first day, he said worse things to both Zayton and myself."

"Why the absolute nerve of him." Fluttershy frowned, "Why I have the right mind to tell his mother..."

"You're late for that," Zayton replied, "Uppercut's parents witnessed the whole thing, and boy did they look T.O'd." he chuckled.

"So don't worry, Uppercut's sure to get what's coming to him." Anton assured.

"Are you all right, Zayton?" Fluttershy asked in worry.

"I'm fine, really. I mean I was pissed at what he said, but I wasn't going to go postal on him. Even though it was tempting."

"I'm glad you didn't," Fluttershy said in relief, "The last thing I want is for you to get into trouble."

"He won't be," Anton put an arm around his brother, "Not so long as I'm around."

Zayton smirked, and put an arm around him in response, "And neither will you as long as your with me." the two laughed. Fluttershy smiled seeing her sons still keeping their spirits up despite what went on today.

That night, Anton and Zayton laid in bed, until Zayton rolled over to look at Anton, "Say, bro?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you really consider me real even though I was originally a drawing?"

"Of course, Zayton. Whatever Uppercut said to you was nothing but desperate words to make you break down," Anton explained, "You may have started out as a drawing made up by me, but that doesn't matter. You will always be real to me."

"Oh, man. Now you're getting me all sappy!" Zayton complained.

"Should we stop here before we both start feeling like that?"

"Yes." Zayton agreed.

"All right. Goodnight, Z."

"Night, Anton." the brothers fell asleep.


The very next day at school the bros arrived and got to class. As they waited for Ms. Cheerilee, they and their friends overheard some of the other students gossiping, "Hey, Uppercut's not here today."

"I heard he and his parents moved back to Manehattan because of his bad behavior."

"Well, I heard they sent him off to some special school for misbehaved fillies and colts."

"Whoa. I knew he was a hard case, but I didn't think it would've gotten so bad it would come down to this."

"Well, he was a jerk anyway."

As the CMC, D.T, S.S, and the colts heard this, they looked at Anton and Zayton who just sat there keeping to themselves, "You two ok?" Scootaloo asked.

"Couldn't be better." Zayton answered plainly.

"Listen, we want you to know it wasn't your fault that this-" Featherweight was cut off by Anton.

"We know it wasn't our fault."

"We feel no guilt for what happened to Uppercut." Zayton assured.

"That's strange," Pip said, "After all many do feel the occasional guilt when something like this happens to others."

"Well, we're not like that," Anton replied, "He brought it all on himself, and now he's paying the price for his own biased hatred against anyone different from him."

"Maybe this special school he's at now will beat some sense into his head." Zayton added.

"I just wished someone else could've been sent to a place like that a long time ago." Anton said, with the thought of Rodney on his mind.

"Just remember if you need some pony to talk to, we're here." Applebloom assured them.

The bros looked at their friends and smiled, "Thanks, guys." they replied. And soon Cheerilee came in to begin her lesson. Anton and Zayton looked at the empty seat where Uppercut once sat and felt like a whole weight was lifted off them. With Uppercut gone, perhaps they could both enjoy their lives to the fullest without someone to make them feel like they had no purpose in Equestria.