• Published 27th May 2012
  • 12,793 Views, 2,025 Comments

My Little Pony: Morphing is Magic - Tricondon



The Mane 6 team up with another Main 6 to fight a new threat.

  • ...
37
 2,025
 12,793

Chapter 28

Author's Note: Written by Samaru163 and Tricondon.

Chapter 28


Tobias

I flew as swiftly as I could, keeping a cautious eye out for any Changelings or infested Pegasi heading for Applejack’s farm. The sky was curiously devoid of any other flying creatures, however, so I chanced a glance towards Ponyville. The most I was able to make out was a few black forms flitting about town while large blasts of energy were being thrown from the ground. Presumably the guards from Canterlot were doing their best to repel the Changelings, or perhaps some uninfested unicorns from town were fighting back as well; either way, it meant the Changelings were occupied and I was relatively danger-free.

At least, that’s what I thought. As I drew closer to the farm I could make out a few Changelings swiftly darting about the trees, making their way towards the large farmhouse. I angled my wings and caught a small updraft, which carried me above the building. Carefully I landed on top of the apple shaped wind spinner; from here I noticed smaller groups of Changelings scattered about the area. Most of them were either unconscious or in no state to cause harm.

“Git away from mah family!”

The sharp cry caught my attention and I looked over just in time to see Applejack buck a Changeling in the face, sending it flying. Behind her stood a large red stallion - Big Mac, if my memory is correct. Between both of them sat a young yellow filly who I could only assume was Applebloom. She didn’t seem worried, though, all things considered. Cassie told us she was a Controller, and if the Changelings were mostly controllers as well it made sense that she wouldn’t be afraid, but Applebloom looked neither smug nor worried - more like confused.

At the moment, no Changelings in the immediate area were moving, so I decided now was as good a time as any to speak up.

<Applejack, I know you can’t talk back, but if you can hear me, nod.>

Applejack whipped her head around, obviously looking for me and slightly startled. After a few moments she nodded quickly.

<Alright, listen up. We’ve got some refugees from Ponyville. We’re moving them to a safer location that Twilight suggested, then we’re heading off to stop the Changelings - and the Yeerks - for good.> She nodded again; a flash of movement caught my eye and I turned to look. <Applejack, Changelings coming in from your left. Three of them.> She shouted something to her siblings and they whirled in time to face the Changelings as they flew towards them.

More movement caught my eyes and I turned again, spying seven more Changelings coming up on Applejack from behind. With an exasperated groan I took off, at first flying away from the second group so as to not draw suspicion. As they descended I veered around and dived after them. I made good speed and was able to catch up with the Changelings just as they were closing the gap with Applejack’s group. Then at the last second I reached forward, talons ready.

“Tseeer!”

The lead Changeling reared back suddenly, placing a hoof to his face and crying out in anguish. Green blood leaked its way around his hoof and trickled down his face and leg. The other Changelings stopped and looked towards me. For a brief moment their faces showed confusion, but that soon gave way to anger. The momentary distraction was enough for Big Mac to notice the group and buck two more of them straight in the head. They dropped like stones among their comrades.

The remaining four Changelings veered away from Big Mac and decided to chase after me instead. I caught another updraft and flew as fast as I could, but the Changelings were faster. In no time at all they had caught up to me and began trying to block my escape routes. I dodged their extended hooves and veered towards the barn as quickly as I could. I ducked and weaved through the air in an attempt to throw them off, but hawks aren’t built for long distance flight. I was already feeling my wings beginning to tire and sore, and the Changelings were still on my tail.

A hard knock on my back sent me flailing towards the ground. I rose slowly, until a Changeling slammed its hoof onto my wing. It then lowered its head to mine and smiled triumphantly.

“Andalite filth,” it hissed, applying more pressure with its hoof. I felt the delicate bones on my wing begin to break and let out a cry of pain. “How you follow us here?”

I tried to bring my head around to tear at the Changeling’s leg, but it quickly slammed its other hoof down onto my head, smashing me into the ground. I felt my vision begin to go spotty as more force was applied to my wing.

“Die, Andalite!” the Changeling hissed angrily. As it was raising its hoof for another strike a loud crash came from the farmhouse. I barely had time to react before two large black masses came crashing onto the Changelings around me, as well as the one pinning me down. They were sent sprawling across the ground before settling in a tangled pile of black limbs. Weakly I turned my head in the direction of the objects.

“Go on, git, ya overgrown cockroaches!” an elderly green mare yelled, surprisingly spry for her age. She was rearing back on her hind legs and - somehow - waving a frying pan back and forth menacingly. I turned away from her and tried to get back into the air, only to let out a pained squawk when I flapped my wing; a quick glance told me all I needed to know. It was broken. I looked around, trying to see if I could safely morph something quickly enough to get my wing back. Fortunately, I couldn’t see any more Changelings that were physically able to move. Unfortunately, Applebloom was heading in my direction, never taking her gaze off me.

“Applebloom, git back here! It ain’t safe!” Applejack yelled and ran towards us, Big Mac in tow. I spread my wings, ignoring the pain, and screeched at Applebloom, hoping to scare her off. She continued towards me and stared me down.

“Are ya really an Andalite?” she asked softly. I screeched again and tried hopping away, hoping I was acting like a normal injured bird. “Ah saw you attack those Changelings. Yer not foolin’ me, Andalite.”

Applejack caught up with us and plucked her sister up, placing her on Big Mac’s back. “C’mon, we’ve gotta get t’ town, help everypony fight them off there!” she said, sounding quite flustered.

“Eeyup.”

“There’s no point. They’re only here because the town has been overrun by now,” Applebloom said softly.

“That’s no way t’ be thinkin’,” Applejack said. “We’ve beaten them before, we can do it again.”

Applebloom shook her head. “No, not like this, not with our help.”

Applejack looked at her sister with a mixture of curiosity and dread. “What do ya mean?”

Applebloom turned to look at me. “Ah would’ve thought you’d have told her by now.”

“Told you what?” Big Mac asked Applejack. She didn’t respond him though, instead staring straight at Applebloom.

“So it’s true...” she asked softly. Applebloom turned to her and looked right into her eyes. Applejack’s face then took on a look of horror, sadness and anger. “What’d ya do with the real Applebloom?!”

“She’s here, don’t worry. Ah just want t’ talk with ya.”

“Give me mah sister back, now!” Applejack demanded.

<Applejack,> I cut in. <This is neither the time nor the place.>

She turned to look at me with a loathsome demeanor. “Ah don’t wanna hear it, space-bird!”

<Applejack, we need to get to the others now. There are probably hundreds of Changelings still in Ponyville and you can’t possibly fight them all off. I can tell even now you’re getting exhausted.>

“Ah think ya should listen to the talkin’ bird, sis,” Big Mac drawled. “Ah don’t quite follow everythin’ that’s happened here, but Ah do know that ya can’t keep fightin’ forever.”

A moment of silence passed between us all before Applejack finally let her guard down. “Yer right, Big Mac. Ah’m just worried about Applebloom.”

“She’s unharmed, Applejack. Ah wouldn’t let her get hurt.” Applejack whirled to stare at her sister.

“How dare ya speak that way about mah sister,” she said devoid of any emotion but anger.

“Applejack, yah don’t understand,” Applebloom exclaimed.

“What’s there t’ understand? Yah have mah sister, now get out,” she snarled.

<We’ll deal with this all later, right now let’s just go!> I cried, getting both their attentions.

“Right, where’d yah say they were again?” Applejack asked.

<They were moving through Everfree when I left them.>

“Everfree!?” Applebloom cried. “But yah know that’s where the Pool is, why head through there?”

<We know where a few entrances are,> I lied. <We’ll just give them a wide berth and make our way through the forest.> I was silent for a while longer, staring at Applebloom, suddenly realizing my lapse in judgement. <Alright, Yeerk. You know our plan. You know as well as I do that I can’t let you get back to the Pool knowing what you do now. So I’m only going to ask this once: leave Applebloom, spare her the horror of suffering Kandrona starvation with you.>

“No, yah don’t understand, Ah can help yah Andalite, Ah can!” she said almost desperately.

<Why would a Yeerk ever assist an Andalite?>

“Yah came from Earth, right, it’s the only way yah could have gotten those morphs,” she stated. “Surely yah know of the Yeerk Peace Movement organized there?” Applebloom puffed out her chest. “Ah’m the leader of the Yeerk Peace Movement, Equestria Division.”

I froze for a moment, not knowing what to say. The Yeerk Peace Movement on Earth had been founded by Aftran and was composed of Yeerks who lived as partners with their hosts, giving them some control over their bodies. In short, they were looking for a peaceful end to the war. Unsurprisingly the other Yeerks don’t take too kindly to this idea, so the group works in secret from the main invasion forces. That said, however, there was no reason to believe this Yeerk was a member just based on what she’d said. <You’ll forgive me if I don’t blindly believe you.>

“Yeah, Ah know it’s hard to believe that a tyrannical Yeerk would sue for peace, but Ah’m tellin’ the truth!” she said.

<...fine, then, Yeerk. I’ll take you with us and you can try to convince my leader of your honesty.>

She nodded in agreement. “Ah suppose you’ll be demorphin’ to repair the damages t’ yerself?” There was an underlying hint of curiosity in her voice.

<Why do you ask this?>

“Ah’ve been a tad curious as t’ how exactly yer morphin’ technology works.”

I didn’t want to have one of the others carry me - and there wasn’t another option available - so I concentrated hard on the one morph that’d keep this deception going. Almost immediately I felt myself growing larger and my broken bones being replaced by stronger, more solid ones. My feathers began to sink into my skin and were replaced by a thin coat of blue tan fur. The same was happening with my beak, only when it vanished there was nothing to replace it. My talons melted together into hooves and my wings were soon tipped with seven digited hands.

There was a sudden pop from where my eye stocks burst from my skull and began swerving around, taking in all the details they could see. I noticed all the Changelings to my sides and behind me, as well as the bewildered faces of the Apples. Two nubs formed on my chest and soon grew into extra legs. A long bladed tipped tail snaked forth from the tip of my spine at the same time. Then it was finished and I stood as a perfect duplicate of Ax.

“Well, ya’ll are the oddest lookin’ pony Ah ever did see,” Big Mac drawled after a time. He had one eyebrow raised in astonishment, but he still chewed on a piece of hay as if nothing else bizarre had happened. I was somewhat surprised from his reaction, expecting more shock or horror, but he just swung back over to look at Applejack.

“Ya think the Prince can help mah sister?”

I nodded. <Yes, he’ll know what to do. Come on, we’ve got to catch up with them.>


<Head a little to your right, Applejack. Got some ... thing coming up on you.>

I was back in the sky, directing Applejack and her family as they meandered through the trees of the Everfree. It felt good to be back in the air, though I was careful not to morph back until we were well out of range of the farm. We only stopped to pick up the elderly mare, who was apparently named ‘Granny Smith’. I could just hear Marco’s groans in my head already.

I looked up from the forest, scanning the horizon; in the distance I could see two other birds of prey, but I was still too far away to make them out, even with my eyesight. Unfortunately, that also meant I was out of range for thought speech. I looked down again and nearly stopped flying, stunned.

<Applejack, about thirty feet ahead there’s a small clearing. In the center is a pony that looks like they're in distress.>

At this, Applejack took off running, leaving the others behind. I started to descend, keeping a close watch on the mystery pony. The last thing I need now is a Yeerk trap, I thought sarcastically. I settled on a branch near the edge of the clearing as Applejack came bursting through the trees and skidded to a stop. I looked at the strange pony, covered in mud, sticks, and looking very ill-tempered.

“Applejack! Where have you and the others been?! Do you have any idea how terrifying it’s been for me?! I’ve been left alone in a dangerous forest filled with body stealing parasites - while still partially petrified - by the ponies who were supposed to be HELPING me!!” Applejack took a step back, her ears flattened against her head and looking quite sheepish.

“Oh, gosh, Ah’m sorry Cheerilee. I just plum forgot about ya. Heck, we all did.” This news only seemed to anger the pony more.

“Do you have any idea what I’ve gone through since yesterday? Do you know how difficult it is to hide from a Timberwolf pack? OR outsmart a cockatrice?” Each question was punctuated by Cheerilee jabbing a hoof into Applejack’s chest and growing more and more hysterical with each prod. “You just forgot about me!”

Big Mac, Applebloom, and Granny chose this moment to walk into the field as well; their arrival did not go unnoticed by Cheerilee, who stopped yelling at Applejack and glared at Applebloom.

“You! Yeerk! I know you’re in there! Get out of my student!” Applebloom backed up slightly, startled by the mare’s crazed ranting.

I was about to intervene when Granny Smith suddenly smacked Cheerilee on the head with a large stick that had been lying on the ground. “Now, Miss Cheerilee, that’s no way to speak to a young filly! You oughta know better, bein’ her teacher and all.” Cheerilee shook her head, her increasingly unhinged ranting momentarily gone. I decided to speak up again before she could start up again.

<Cheerilee, I’m sorry we left you behind, but it was dangerous. We’re heading to a safe location right now. You’re welcome to join us if you’d like.>

Cheerilee’s head shot in my direction and she stared daggers at me. “I’m welcome? I’m WELCOME?! You abandon me here of all places without the ability to move and then ask me if I want to come along?! If I ‘have the time too?!’”

“Cheerilee, that’s enough,” Big Mac said gently. “Yellin’ at the magic bird won’t help solve anythin’ now. Th’ important thing is we get to Twilight’s hide-out, then plan our next move.” Without another word Big Mac quickly walked over and hefted Cheerilee onto his back, despite her protests. He glanced towards me and nodded. “Alright, bird, lead the way. Ah’ll take care of Cheerilee, don’t you worry none.”

I nodded in return and took off again, circling around them until I was at a respectable height and resumed guiding them. There wasn’t much to look out for after this point, which meant I had some time to myself to think. I figured Twilight would be happy that we recovered Cheerilee, even if everyone had forgotten about her. Applebloom was the one that worried me the most, though; I don’t think Jake would like me bringing her along, but Applejack was insistent she not be left behind. Marco and Ax would both oppose the idea, calling it an extreme and unneeded risk - which it rightfully was. If the Yeerk was being truthful about being a member of the peace movement, Cassie might defend Applebloom.

An idea struck me just then and I altered my course, heading for Cassie’s group instead. If anyone could tell if Applebloom was truthful or not, she could.