• Published 27th May 2012
  • 12,794 Views, 2,025 Comments

My Little Pony: Morphing is Magic - Tricondon



The Mane 6 team up with another Main 6 to fight a new threat.

  • ...
37
 2,025
 12,794

Chapter 26

Author's Note: Written by Samaru163 and Tricondon.

Chapter 26


Rarity

I have no idea how I managed to fall asleep that night, but I suppose fatigue finally got to me. I don’t know if you can ever know how hard it is, knowing that your own sister is being controlled and be totally helpless to rescue her. I wanted to rush over to her as soon as I could; to hold her in my hooves and tell her it’ll all be ok. But Prince Jake instructed me to avoid my Sweetie Belle until they could work out a plan. I didn’t like the idea of leaving my sister alone like that, but I suppose the Prince knows what he’s talking about.

So instead of rushing home, I slept over at Pinkie’s. The poor dear hadn’t smiled since we left that cave; understandable for anypony else, but for her not to be laughing worried me. Pinkie was always able to find the joke in everything, no matter how dire the situation.

The Cakes were nice enough to allow me to stay over, doubly so once they saw Pinkie as well. I was worried for a moment when I was speaking to them. After all, I hadn’t realized my own sister was a Controller; would Pinkie even notice if either of the Cakes were too? I managed to convince them that all Pinkie needed was a good night’s sleep and we trotted up to her bedroom for the night. And after what felt like an eternity I was forced to give in to sleep.

I opened my eyes to find that I was in the air, hundreds of feet from the ground. I wasn’t flying, nor was I falling. It was as if I were suspended by some invisible thread. Below me was the outline of a city of some kind. Peering closer I could make out rising towers and marble buildings. Yet there was something off about it all. They didn’t face straight up, nor did they even look like solid buildings. They seemed to flicker and wave in the wind, like the rippling surface of water. The longer I stared at them the more they seemed to distort.

I was torn away from the city only by a sudden bright flash from the corner of my eye. It was as intense as the sun yet it didn’t sting or blind me. I shifted my head curiously towards the source until I was face to face with a large, perfectly cut diamond. It hovered in front of my eyes and then went perfectly still. Suddenly more objects entered my field of vision, but like the buildings below me they were distorted and hard to make out. To the best of my abilities I was able to only make out one of the images, a six pointed star.

The diamond then began glowing like some form of flaming ice and drifted towards the distorted objects. Closer and closer they came, each of them glowing with an intense fury and purpose. Below me the flickering buildings reaches out to lick at the objects and feed them on before retreating back to their original positionings.

Suddenly the objects let out a burst of light that spiraled to form twin rainbows above them. They twisted and wound through the sky, making the city dance in their brilliance. But as they rose something seemed off. I leaned as close as the invisible wire would allow and noticed that the rainbow’s coloring was rapidly draining. Soon they became nothing more than a dull grey. Before I could figure out more the diamond shot out a torrent of icy flames at me. There was a cracking sound and the next thing I knew I was falling.

Down and down I went, crying in desperation as the buildings rushed up to lick at me with distorted roofs. Just as they were about to touch me the area was blinded by a burst of grey, dominated by a single, ear splitting shriek.

I awoke moments later in a cold sweat and glanced around, forgetting for a few moments that I wasn’t in my own house. Things slowly came into focus and I shakily stood, the odd dream not fading from my mind as they usually do. I can’t say exactly why, but it felt like my dream was trying to tell me something. I shook my head slowly, trying to dispel the odd imagery. There are more important things to deal with than deciphering dreams, I thought.

I walked over to Pinkie’s bed with the intention of waking her up, but she was already gone. I stared for a moment at the unmade bed wondering where she was when the door burst open and Pinkie walked in, a smile plastered on her face. She twitched unnaturally as she set down a tray laden with cupcakes and milk. “Good morning, Rarity! I got breakfast!” she said, though her voice was a tad higher than usual.

“Good morning Pinkie,” I replied somberly. “Is everything alright with you?”

“Oh Rarity, everything’s fine,” she replied and twitched again. “You’d better eat up, we’ve got a big day today.”

I nibbled on a cupcake in silence - a lady has to watch her figure, you know - and glanced at Pinkie every so often. She appeared to be her normal bubbly self, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that she was pretending. Her smile seemed just ever so slightly forced rather than its natural self. Still, she bounced around smiling and kept looking at me out of the corner of her eyes.

“Pinkie, are you sure you’re alright?”

“Yeah, I’m fine!” Another twitch. “Absolutely nothing wrong with me!” She bounced in front of me. “I just hate to see my friends unhappy!” She twitched again and her smile grew even larger.

I set my cupcake down and sighed. “Pinkie, I’m fine. Really.”

“Oh, I never doubted that for a moment! I’m fine, you’re fine, Twilight’s fine, everypony’s fine!”

Every ‘fine’ Pinkie spoke was followed by a slight twitch. I was beginning to grow worried about her by this point. “Pinkie, you don’t have to pretend for my sake. I’m fine, rea-”

“No no no! I’m not pretending!” Pinkie interrupted, mashing her face up to mine. “I’m the Element of Laughter! It’s my job to laugh! And if somepony isn’t happy, I have to make them happy!”

There was a long silence before I spoke. “This is about Sweetie Belle, isn’t it?” Pinkie looked me dead in the eyes and managed a weak nod.

“Rarity...I’m sorry.”

Another long silence filled the air. “Not as sorry as I am,” I mumbled. “She’s my sister and I never knew!” I looked down at the floor. “Never knew she wasn’t really my sister. How long have I been talking to an alien and not my Sweetie Belle?”

I looked up at Pinkie, already beginning to feel tears well up in my eyes. Pinkie opened her mouth to say something...

But the two of us were interrupted by a pegasus crashing through the window. For a brief moment I thought it was Rainbow Dash before remembering about her injured wing. Pinkie and I stared at the fallen pegasus for a moment as it stood. It stared at both of us in return then hesitantly said “Gedd first home?”

“Gesundheit,” Pinkie said. The pegasus looked at us both inquiringly but then collapsed again.

I was about to go over and inspect the pegasus when a blood-curdling scream came in through the broken window. I rushed to the window and looked outside just in time to see a mint-green unicorn mare get tackled by...

Changelings.

I don’t know what came over me then, but I leapt through the window, screaming in primal rage as I landed atop the nearest Changeling. Without missing a beat I lashed my hooves forward, impacting them with the nearest Changeling’s head. It went down like a stone. I looked up at the unicorn, but she had long since picked herself up and run off again. Another scream came from down the street and every muscle in my body tensed as I recognized it.

“Sweetie Belle!”

With no further concern for either the Changelings or the mysterious vanishing unicorn I ran down the street, headed straight for Town Hall. Sweetie Belle was still screaming and I followed her voice easily. I rounded the corner of the street and stopped only for a moment to take in the scene.

Chaos.

Everywhere I looked there were ponies and Changelings fighting. Unicorns were using whatever they could pick up to throw at the Changelings, pegasi were flying around in a mad attempt to get away, and earth ponies were relying on their brute strength to keep the Changelings at bay. I shook my head as Sweetie Belle screamed again and scanned the crowd, finding her just in front of Town Hall with three Changelings bearing down on her. I gave another cry of rage and ran at them, my horn glowing and sparkling with energy.

Two of the Changelings turned to look at me; I ducked under one, coming up underneath him and launched him at his friend, with a little magical aid. The third jumped at me, but I planted my forehooves in the ground, spun around and bucked him in the head as he came at me. I really must remember to thank Applejack for teaching me that, I thought quickly as I turned to Sweetie Belle.

No sooner had I turned around, however, when Sweetie Belle leapt at me, catching me off guard. I fell to the ground, momentarily stunned. I looked up at her in shock as she waved to somepony to the side. I looked over as a Changeling began walking towards us. Fear and confusion must have been evident on my face, since Sweetie Belle smirked.

“Confused, my little pony? Don’t worry, everything will be made clear very soon.” It may have been Sweetie Belle’s voice, but that was not the sister I knew. I tried to stand, but the Changeling was using some spell to hold me in place. I struggled against its spell but was unable to move.

“Rarity!”

A blast of magic impacted with the Changeling’s side, sending it sprawling away from me. Sweetie Belle looked around in confusion before being encased in a lavender aura and suspended off the ground. She thrashed and struggled - which availed to nothing - as Twilight ran up to my side, dispelling whatever was keeping me from moving.

“Rarity! Are you... you?”

“Twilight! What’s going on? Where’d all these Changelings come from? And what have you done to my Sweetie Belle?” Instead of answering me right away Twilight instead lowered her horn towards me and seemed to concentrate. Her horn glowed brighter for a few moments and then dimmed as she looked at me with relief.

“Oh thank Celestia, I was worried for a moment.” She said before turning her head. “It’s alright Pinkie, this is Rarity.” A sudden blur of pink then came from seemingly nowhere and stopped in front of us.

“Rarity, please don’t do that again.” Pinkie said.

“I won’t, just as soon as you tell me what is going on!”

“We don’t know,” Twilight exclaimed. “These Changelings just came from nowhere and have begun to attack the entire town.” She briefly paused to look around at the carnage happening all around us. Twilight blasted another Changeling that had leapt at us. “It doesn’t make any sense! Why now? Why here?”

“Let me go! Rarity, Twilight, I thought you were my friends!” Sweetie Belle cried. Twilight moved towards the bubble and lowered her horn to it as she did for me. She turned around and shook her head.

“I’m sorry, Rarity. She’s a co-.”

I stopped Twilight with a raise of my hoof. Perhaps it was rude of me, but I didn’t care. I didn’t want to hear that word about my sister. She seemed to understand as deep sorrow began to form in her eyes.

“Look out!”

I looked up just as a giant shield went up and three Changelings smashed into it. I whipped my head around and noticed a bright white unicorn standing near us, his horn glowing. He had a fierce determined look on his face and he glanced between the four of us, looking with particular interest at Sweetie.

“Big brother!” Twilight cried, running to Shining. He smiled as much as he could without losing focus on his shield spell.

“Twilie! Am I glad to see you! Princess Luna wants you and the other Element Bearers in Canterlot immediately.”

There was a brief pause before Twilight spoke. “Princess Luna? What about Celestia?” I cleared my throat, grabbing Twilight’s attention and motioned to the growing number of Changelings smashing against the shield.

“Priorities, Twilight.”

“Shining, we can’t go to Canterlot right now! There are Changelings everywhere! We’ve got to stay and protect Ponyville.”

“Go, Twilight. I’ve got a number of guards with me. Don’t worry, we’ll hold them off.” Something about that struck me as odd, though I couldn’t say exactly what. “The Elements of Harmony would be a greater help in fighting them off anyways, wouldn’t you agree?”

Twilight nodded. “Yeah, I guess so. I’ll go get the others and we’ll rush to Canterlot.”

“Wait!” Pinkie yelled. We all turned to look at her. “How’d you get here so fast? Why did the Princess send you instead of a letter? Why did you come with guards?”

“I was instructed to escort you all to Canterlot, and with all that’s been happening recently it seemed necessary.” As if to emphasise his point he waved a hoof at the Changelings around the shield. They had stopped smashing against it and were standing or hovering in place, waiting and watching. Shining let his gaze rest on Sweetie Belle, still trapped in her bubble. “Twilie, why is that filly entrapped like that?”

“Shining, this might sound a bit odd, but this filly is actually being controlled by a member of a race of alien parasites that have come to enslave our entire species.”

For a moment I could have sworn I saw Shining twitch, but it came and went so fast I couldn’t be sure I even saw it.

“Alien parasites? Twilight, this is hardly the time to be making jokes. We have a real infestation on our hooves.” He walked over, lowering his horn to Sweetie’s bubble.

“Wait!” I called. Shining whipped his head up and for a moment I did see him scowl. “Shining, you didn’t believe Twilight when she accused Princess Cadance of being a fake. She was right then. How do you know she isn’t right now?”

“Twilight, use your spell on him.” Pinkie said softly.

“What? But he’s my own brother!”

“And Sweetie Belle is my sister. And I live with her part of the year.” I looked away as I spoke. “Nopony is trustworthy.”

With a disgusted groan, Twilight walked over to Shining. Before he could have a chance to question her she lowered her horn to Shining’s and concentrated for a moment. A few seconds passed, then Twilight’s eyes flew open and she stepped back, staring at Shining.

“N-no... it can’t be...”

Shining’s face showed no expression as his horn’s glow swiftly vanished. The shield then dispersed and the Changelings began to advance towards us. All the while, Twilight continued to stare at Shining.

“You’re a controller.”

Shining scowled. “Why did you have to ruin the surprise, little sister?” he hissed through his teeth. Inside her bubble I could see Sweetie mimicking Shining’s expression. Shining waved a hoof and ten Changelings leapt at us. I braced myself for the coming attack...

Only to find them all blasted out of the air. I looked up at Twilight, her horn glowing dangerously. She was trembling with rage and looked around, clenching her teeth and glaring at the Changelings. Three more jumped only to be zapped by a blast of magic moments after they left the ground. I almost thought we’d make it out ok, but my hopes died quickly as I noticed that two more Changelings joined the growing circle for every one that Twilight shot down. What’s more, by using so much magic in her attacks the shield around Sweetie Belle was beginning to wane.

Shining seemed to notice this as well, and slowly his horn lit up again. The weakened shield seemed to quiver for a moment before dispersing completely and Sweetie fell to the ground. Shining shouted something incomprehensible and every Changeling leapt at us. Every. Last. One. I gave a shout of alarm and all at once my vision was filled with bright purple. Everything besides Twilight and Pinkie suddenly became wavy and distorted and I had this strange sensation of phasing through everything, passing through brick, wood, and stone as if they weren’t even there. I couldn’t even breathe and felt my vision begin to go spotty. Then, as quickly as it had begun, it ended and the world came back into focus.

I gave a slight groan as my lungs filled with air again and my vision corrected itself. I looked around; we were back in Twilight’s library, with a very surprised Spike lying on the floor.

“Shining...” Twilight murmured, staring at the ground, her horn no longer glowing. I gasped loudly.

“Oh, my. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash are all alone! They can’t possibly hold off an entire invasion on their own.” Twilight didn’t seem to hear me, still staring at the ground. “Twilight, we have to go check on them. They’re our friends.” I swallowed noisily, thinking of Sweetie Belle. “I know how you feel, Twilight, but Spike was a controller too. We rescued him, we can rescue everypony else.”

I didn’t have any more time to try to convince Twilight; just then a number of Changelings and ponies burst through the door and any windows they could. I recognized a few faces here and there. There was Aloe backing down from Lotus, the Cakes and their kids, the same mint-green unicorn from before pleading with a menacing-looking earth pony, the town mayor. Controllers, Changelings, and a few free ponies all huddled in a circle.

“Twilight! Help us!” Mr. Cake yelled.

“Bon Bon, why won’t you listen to me?”

“Twilight, snap out of it!”

“Changelings! Get them, but don’t hurt the purple unicorn!”

It was pandemonium. I couldn’t pick out who was yelling at whom. Through the door I could see Shining and Sweetie Belle smirking and walking towards us calmly. I felt my hoof begin to twitch with rage. I looked around and time seemed to slow down; I wondered if a spell had been cast, but I pushed the thought out of my mind and mentally noted which ponies were cowering in fear and which were sided with the Changelings. I felt a spark of magic flow to my horn and spread out, a bright blue sphere growing to encompass the safe ponies and pushing the controllers back.

Then everything went blue and I passed out.


The first thing I noticed upon waking up was a bright blue sky above. That confused me, since we were indoors the last time I checked. I slowly rose to my hooves, groaning and swaying from side to side.

“Easy, easy,” a soft voice said from my left. I turned to face the mint-green unicorn. “Magic deprivation leaves you weak. Try not to push yourself.”

I took a moment to look around. Not too far away sat a tiny cottage and next to it was a fenced area with all manner of tiny houses within. I immediately recognized the house as belonging to Fluttershy. “How did we get here?” I murmured.

“You teleported us, Rarity! Just like Twilight can do!” An overly-excited Pinkie shouted into my ear. I shook my head and regretted it, fighting down a wave of nausea.

“Impossible. I don’t have that kind of power.”

“You did it, miss Rarity,” Aloe said. “I saw you.”

“And so did we.” Mr. Cake added. I looked around disbelievingly as more and more ponies confirmed what I had apparently performed.

“What’s with all the shouting out here?” An unforgettable voice called out as Rainbow sauntered out of Fluttershy’s cabin and stopped, gawking at the large mass of ponies that had - quite literally - appeared from thin air.

“Rainbow, is everything alright out there?” a male voice called from inside the cabin.

“Uh, don’t come out! It wouldn’t be smart!” Rainbow yelled back.

From one of the windows I could see the curtains being moved aside, then just as quickly they closed again. A few moments passed before another voice called out “Rainbow, find Twilight and the others. I want to speak to them.”

Rainbow nodded and walked up to me. “Uh, Rarity, Prince Jake wants to speak to you.”

She realized her mistake at the same time I did, just as Aloe repeated “Prince Jake? There’s royalty staying here?” loud enough for everypony else to overhear. The crowd began excitedly clamouring towards the cabin and I found myself rushing to get inside. The door slammed behind me and I noticed Pinkie and Twilight were already inside, though Twilight looked as if she still hadn’t moved. Rainbow was rushing around closing all the blinds and covering those with spare blankets that didn’t have them already. Once the room was sufficiently hidden from the outside Prince Jake walked in, glowering at us. I took a few moments to watch him, since I hadn’t had much opportunity to see him in his normal form. It was so weird, like a taller Diamond Dog with much more versatile paws. His face would almost be equine if his nose were a little longer and he clothed himself in a gaudy suit that did not go with his off-pink hide. His mane was a dull auburn, the colour of mud. He didn’t seem to match his own colouring, if such a thing were possible.

“Rarity, what’s going on? Why are all these ponies here?”

“Ponyville has been overrun by Changelings. Changelings and pony controllers.” I said softly. “We had to flee.”

Prince Jake was about to respond when suddenly there was a loud banging from the rear wall. We all turned in time to see a grey pegasus with a bright blonde mane come crashing through the wall - backwards, no less - and come to rest right in front of the Prince. Everypony stared at her incredulously as she waved back. Slowly she turned to face Prince Jake and stopped, her mouth falling open in shock.

“Oh, neat! Are you the Prince?”

Prince Jake groaned and covered his head in his hands. “Well, so much for staying a secret,” he muttered.