• Published 27th May 2012
  • 12,791 Views, 2,025 Comments

My Little Pony: Morphing is Magic - Tricondon



The Mane 6 team up with another Main 6 to fight a new threat.

  • ...
37
 2,025
 12,791

Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Rarity

Hysteria.

That was the only way to describe what was happening, besides myself and Princess Luna of course. A lady doesn’t panic so outwardly. The others, well, they were another story entirely. Rainbow Dash was wide-eyed and darting desperately around the room, trying to find some trace of the missing Elements. Pinkie Pie was over with Fluttershy, who was hyperventilating, and trying her best to bring her back to her senses. Twilight was handling it the worst of all. The poor dear’s irises had shrunken to tiny specks, and her muscles were giving involuntary twitches in her face and legs.

“Princess Luna,” Twilight finally said, “are you absolutely certain that those were the Elements?” She looked at the Princess pleadingly. “Celestia never made fakes?”

“Of course they were real,” Princess Luna said. “Does thou think We would jest in such a dire matter as this?”

“Then why did they disappear?” Twilight hissed through gritted teeth.

An idea sparked in my mind unbidden. It was as if, all at once, a puzzle I wasn’t even aware I was working on had simply solved itself. Twilight and Princess Luna continued to argue, but I tuned them out and delved into my thoughts.

“Did you accidentally cast a spell to send them away?” Rainbow asked.

“Why would I do such a thing?” Twilight retorted, clearly offended.

Well, tuned them out as best I could, at least.

Prince Jake, his warriors, Applejack, and Twilight all went into the Changeling Hive. According to Illusion, the Hive was overrun by Yeerks. Twilight was the only one to come out.

“Applejack’s not here. Maybe that had something to do with it?” Pinkie put in, still consoling Fluttershy.

I ran the idea across my mind again and again, trying to find some flaw in it. It couldn’t be true, and yet it made so much sense.

“What are you saying? Applejack stole the Elements somehow?” Twilight shot back.

“How in the hay would Applejack steal them?” Rainbow replied. “And why? She’d be further away from using them than we were.”

“Don’t you think this charade has gone on long enough?” I spoke up, loud enough to let my voice be heard without screaming. Every pony stopped arguing and looked towards me. At that moment I felt more than a little uneasy. If, per chance, what I was thinking wasn’t true, it would just lead to more argument and discord — and there was certainly more than enough as it was. Still, if I was right...

I inhaled deeply, closing my eye. “One of us is not who she claims to be.” I opened them and glared at my suspect. “Isn’t that right, Twilight Sparkle?”

Twilight turned to me with a look of bewilderment. “What are you talking about, Rarity?”

“Arguing with the Princess. Arguing with us. I haven’t heard a single helpful comment from you since we arrived.” I took a step forward. “So unlike Twilight, if I may say.”

“The Elements are gone, Rarity. Or hadn’t you noticed?” Twilight said slowly. Was I seeing things, or was there something off about the way she was looking at me? “I think I’m handling things fairly well, all things considered.

“You have been acting odd lately,” Fluttershy quietly added.

Twilight turned to face her, a look of betrayal forming on her face. Fluttershy gave a small ‘eep’ and hid most of her face behind her mane, muttering an apology. Out of the corner of my eye, I also noticed Princess Luna was staring at Twilight intently. It was almost like she was going over her every movement in greater detail. A faint midnight-blue aura was also beginning to surround her horn — not enough to cast a spell right away, mind you. This was a slower process of channeling magic into one’s horn, a sort of preparation against unpredictability.

“So which are you?” Rainbow asked tartly. “Changeling? Yeerk?”

Twilight gasped as if insulted. “Rainbow Dash! Why would you even joke about something like that?” Nopony said anything, all of us staring at Twilight. She looked at each of us, then focused her gaze on me. “Alright, Rarity, how do I go about proving my innocence to you?”

I pondered hard on her question. How does one convince you that they’re not a creature capable of mimicking the exact personality of another? I silently admonished myself for not getting Twilight to teach me her detection spell when we had the chance. Suddenly, I felt a spark of creativity, and my eyes widened at the sheer brilliance of it.

“Princess Luna, do you by any chance know a spell to detect lifeforms?”

The Princess’s eyes looked to the side as she searched her memories. “Yes, we know of the spell you speak of. This is the one Twilight Sparkle first used to discover the Yeerks?” I nodded graciously and the Princess returned it. “Very well. We shall administer the test to Twilight. We hope you have an agreeable reason for your distrust, though, should We find nothing wrong.”

Twilight looked like she was about to protest but decided to swallow her words instead. She obviously didn’t want to say anything that would put her in an even worse situation. She didn’t make a single sound as Luna gathered the magic needed in her horn and closed her eyes.

Suddenly, I felt the ground shake beneath me. My hooves gave way and I fell on my side, Rainbow and Princess Luna soon following. Pinkie Pie was the only one unaffected by the shaking. I unsteadily climbed to my hooves and looked around, only to spy Twilight at the end of the hall, running away.

“Hey! She’s getting away!” I cried, feeling my heart sink with despair that I was right. In no time at all Twilight had reached the doors and was already in the midst of opening them with her magic. That’s when she cried in shock and was lifted into the air by a midnight-blue aura. I saw Twilight’s own horn light up and was about to warn Princess Luna, but there was no need. In the time it took me to open my mouth ‘Twilight’ was suddenly surrounded by glowing purple tendrils of light, suspended in the air.

“That is far enough, imposter.”

‘Twilight’ didn’t seem to care and continued to struggle against her restraints. Princess Luna calmly stood and turned to the rest of us. “Do not fear. Her cage nullifies magic. She will not be escaping any time soon.” She turned and began heading in another direction. “Now, let us discover what has broken my concentration.”

As if on cue the doors burst open, and the five of us turned to see. Standing between the open doors were Cassie and Tobias — in their respective Applejack and Fluttershy forms, of course. Applebloom was also huddled between them, looking quite confused at the whole affair.

“Guys, we have a serious problem on our hands,” Tobias said. He then took notice of ‘Twilight’ and seemed to ask for an explanation simply through appearance. Which, I’ll admit, was rather interesting to see from Fluttershy.

“She’s a fake! She’s like, Thgiliwt!” Pinkie sputtered. How she managed to actually pronounce Twilight’s name backwards is a feat only Pinkie can do.

“She’s a controller?” Tobias asked, clearly shocked. “How did you find out? When did this happen?”

“Later, right now, tell us what’s going on,” Rainbow said. “What’s up with the castle shaking?”

“It’s the Yeerks,” Cassie said. “They got inside the castle and are attacking the guards! They blew out a wall!”

Princess Luna flared her wings, looking as mad as I’ve ever seen her. “They dare to attack?! Quickly, my little ponies, run to safety!”

“Like where?” Tobias asked, his voice on edge. I didn’t blame him, if these horrid creatures had gotten into the castle, then how much longer did we truly have?

“We’ve prepared for such times as these,” Princess Luna replied. “In the east wing, behind a marble statue of a pegasus guard, is a pathway that leads to hidden catacombs below the castle. They run deep into the mountain and possess many exits and entrances known to select few.”

Following her orders, we all rushed towards the exit. However, just before I got within leaping distance I turned my head back around and noticed that the Princess hadn’t moved.

“Princess Luna, aren’t you coming?”

She shook her head. “We must alert the rest of Our subjects of this attack. For that, it is better to travel alone.” Her horn glowed a moment and Twilight, still in her cage, floated over to me. “Take her with you. We will deal with her situation later.”

‘Twilight’ looked at me as I took control of her prison, changing the midnight-blue to a brighter and livelier shade. Rather than look worried or afraid, she seemed rather smug, arrogant even. It was almost insulting to everything the Twilight Sparkle I knew stood for.

“Rarity, come on!” Rainbow shouted, looking back over her shoulder. I gave my head a quick shake and fully acquired control over ‘Twilight’s’ prison. Then, with one last look to the Princess, I went off after the others.

“Your Princess will lose, you know,” ‘Twilight’ chuckled mirthlessly. “Things didn’t go exactly according to plan, but there’s no way you can stop us.”

I huffed and held my head high, ignoring the obvious fake and caught up with everypony else.

“Which way is it?” Cassie asked. Rainbow said nothing, instead running down the hallways. I sighed and trotted after her as quickly as I could. In the distance I could hear the sounds of battle and tried very hard to block them out.

“Let’s see, we’re in the Hall of the Elements, so we’re in the west wing of the castle,” I said while going over my memory of the castle layout. I didn’t want to remember anything incorrectly and send us straight into a dead end, or worse. It was fortunate I knew the castle as well as I did, for the first three-way turn we came to Rainbow stopped and looked down each path in confusion. I rushed past her down what I hoped was the right path and she ceded to my knowledge, albeit reluctantly.

“So these catacombs we’re headed for,” Tobias gasped out as he ran. “Where do they lead out?”

“They lead to these giant crystals underneath the castle!” Pinkie explained. “They’re so pretty, too!”

“Hold on a minute!” Applebloom yelled, screeching to a stop. “Ya’ll ain’t talkin’ ‘bout the crystal caverns, are ya?”

“Yeah, we are,” Rainbow said. “Now c’mon, kid, we’ve gotta get there before we get caught.”

“No!” Applebloom cried, terror creeping into her voice. “No, you can’t! That’s where the Yeerks are! They got the location from the Changeling Queen’s memory!”

Everypony stopped. For a few seconds that felt closer to hours nopony talked, and the entirety of the situation seemed to crash down upon us. I saw ‘Twilight’ looking back at me, still with the same smug grin. She gave me a subtle nod and gave that humourless laugh again. “Surrender now and I’ll consider sparing your lives. I may even give you to one of my sub-Vissers.”

“Visser Seven.” Tobias stepped towards ‘Twilight,’ his face curiously blank and his eyes reflecting that cold demeanor of a hawk.

“Tobias, a hawk, and Cassie, a human child,” the Visser gave a soft chuckle. “It’s a very strange universe we live in. Both on your homeworld and this land of ponies, you six continue to be a nuisance. I admire the tenacity and spirit you six have, truly I do, but even you must know when to stand down.” She then laughed coldly, yet it sounded so much like Twilight’s own laugh that it made my skin crawl. “Can you imagine Visser Three still believes you to be Andalites? Imagine how furious he’ll be when he discovers I’ve not only captured an entire planet, but the so-called ‘Andalite Bandits’ that have plagued him for so long. I may even get promoted to the Council!”

“My, my, my, what boasting,” I said. “Why, the only pony I know who even comes remotely close to you was a lowly performer who ended up alone and friendless.”

“We can talk about her ego for as long as we want once we’re out of harms way,” Rainbow Dash said, interrupting the Visser’s tirade. “Now, does anypony know of another way-”

TSEEEW!

I gave a very un-ladylike shriek and leapt backwards just as a column came crashing down where I used to be standing. Shakingly, I looked down the hallway to see a group of ten humans and three of those monstrous lizard beasts. Each of them held one of those Dracon Beam thingies, and were aiming them directly at us.

“Oh, geez, RUN!” Cassie yelled, turning tail before her voice had died out. The rest of us followed her example just as the Controllers began firing. I saw Tobias’s tail get singed off at its base, and several beams fired mere inches from my head. Luckily the hallways split off in three directions again, and we each separated. I ended up alongside Cassie as we both took the right path, with Rainbow and Tobias going left and Pinkie, Fluttershy, and Applebloom continuing straight.

“Over here! This way, you meandering idiots!” the Visser shouted, catching me off guard as I’d nearly forgotten I was dragging her along with me. I didn’t want to risk turning around to see how many of the Controllers had heard her, but from the sounds of things it was most.

We turned as often as we could, denying the humans from getting a clear view of us. If I knew a way to silence the Visser I would have done so willingly, but I never studied magic as Twilight had. It was already hard enough to both keep her contained and force my legs to keep moving, so her constant shouting to soldiers was most unwelcome.

My sides were beginning to burn from the chase, and though I was loathe to admit it, I was lost as well. I had not kept track of the turns we had made and was essentially running blind. I doubted Cassie would be much help, and I knew the Visser was unlikely to aid us. A two way turn appeared, and I went with my intuition and turned left, only to feel my resolve finally give way when we were greated by a short hallway that ended in a single window. I tried to turn around as quickly as I could and make for the other path, but my heart fell as six humans blocked the hallway, holding those ghastly Dracon Beams at us.

“The unicorn! Shoot the unicorn!” the Visser screamed, quickly amending it to “The white unicorn! Don’t shoot me!”

<Now seems like a good time for you two to duck.>

I barely had time to comprehend the message I’d received when I felt the sunlight cease to shine through the window. Quickly Cassie and I dropped to the floor — making sure to pull the Visser with me, of course — as a large, green scaled arm smashed through the window and impacted with the crowd. It didn’t crush them, but it did send them all flying into the surrounding walls. The arm retracted and a very smug-looking dragon eye peered through the window.

<I love this planet,> Rachel said with a laugh.

Author's Note:

Written by Samaru163 and Tricondon.