• Published 27th May 2012
  • 12,791 Views, 2,025 Comments

My Little Pony: Morphing is Magic - Tricondon



The Mane 6 team up with another Main 6 to fight a new threat.

  • ...
37
 2,025
 12,791

Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Marco

You know, I’ve seen and done some downright strange things in my life. I’m best friends with an alien centaur thing. I can become all manner of animals with little more than thought and concentration. I’ve brushed paths with omnipotent beings, seen a race of androids, and yet I still can’t get a date despite my dashing good looks, wit and charm.

So believe me when I say that something is weird, it is almost certainly a hundred times weirder than anything you could ever think up. And trust me, walking around a giant wooden airship being held up by a massive balloon while disguised as a white unicorn among all sorts of talking horses, other unicorns, and pegasi? That is weird.

Of course, it wasn’t exactly my choice to be walking around at this time of night. Jake, Twilight, and Rarity were all sleeping and it was my job to make sure the balloon was ‘protected’ or something. To be honest, I wasn’t really listening to Twilight’s long-winded explanation of why we had to charge these nodes or whatever they’re called. I just did what I was told to do to keep us from falling out of the sky.

I walked up to the base of the balloon and looked at the closest sensor node. I remember Twilight had said these things could hold for about a day before needing to be refilled. If that’s so we should have gotten a refund because these ones were dying after only a couple of hours. I concentrated on the node in front of me and watched as a light blue aura formed over it and my horn. After that I began casting the recharging spell.

I don’t think I can ever properly describe what it’s like to cast a spell; despite Ax’s insistence that ‘magic’ doesn’t exist, I really can’t think of any other word to make sense of what I could do. The telekinetic levitation that Twilight first taught us is comparatively easy, and much more believable even for Ax. Considering that we can turn into animals and communicate telepathically, telekinesis doesn’t seem that far-fetched anymore. It was a little like imagining a giant invisible hand manipulating whatever you concentrated on, or at least that’s how I envisioned it. Charging this node, however...

I think the best way to describe it is to imagine a canal. Imagine all the floodgates that keep the water in. Now imagine one is suddenly opened, what happens? Water comes rushing out into the other side. That’s the closest thing I can use to describe what this spell felt like, only instead of water it was...something else. A feeling of some kind, almost like my idea for filling the sensor was being sent through my horn and into it - if that even makes the least bit of sense. Ax still thought that the whole thing was psychological and we weren’t actually doing anything. All the same, he didn’t feel like testing his theory while we were in mid-flight.

After a few moments I broke my concentration with the node. I felt a little woozy after the whole thing, probably due to the sudden drop in my ‘magic’ levels. The effects were almost like when you have blood drawn; you feel a little exhausted and don’t really want to move all that much. I wondered if that meant there were any magic replenishing drinks or foods like in video games.

“Hey there, you ok?”

I spun around quickly, caught off guard by whomever had managed to sneak up on me. This only served to make me dizzy and lightheaded on top of my exhaustion and I faltered for a moment, trying to keep my balance. After a moment my head cleared a bit and I was able to make out the basic shape of an aquamarine pony standing not too far away. And judging by the voice it was most likely female.

“How much magic did you put into there?” she asked before coming over and helping to steady me.

“I’m not too sure. How do I measure quantity?”

“You know, I’m not too sure myself. They probably taught us somewhere in magic school, but who remembers all those things anyway?” She paused for a moment. “Well, Twilight might, now that I think about it.”

“I like the way you think.”

“Thanks, I think,” she said before looking closely at me. “You’re one of the members of Prince Jake’s entourage, aren’t you?”

I stifled a laugh at that thought and took a moment to compose myself. “Yes, I suppose you could say that.”

Her face seemed to light up when I finished. “Cool. Hey, you think it’d be alright if I could ask you a few things?”

“Uh, I guess you could, unless Jak- er, unless Prince Jake told me not to talk about it.” I glanced around the otherwise-empty deck and cleared my throat. “Royal decree and such. You understand.”

“Yep,” she brought a hoof to her chin and considered for a few seconds. “Back at Fluttershy’s cottage, was that Prince Jake’s actual form?”

I turned away from the unicorn, staring out over the edge of the ship. “We don’t usually reveal that information. The less you know, the safer we are. And, ultimately, the safer you are in return.”

“I take it that’s because of the Yeerks?” I nodded. “Ok, I was just curious since he looks like humans do in my mythology books.”

I choked on my next breath, feeling my eyes widen in shock. “What did you say?” I managed to say after a moment. Thankfully I was still facing away from her, but I couldn’t keep my voice from wavering.

“Humans. They’re this mythological species of ape that was said to be really intelligent and could build things without the aid of magic at all.” Her voice was practically overflowing with enthusiasm.

“Interesting...and you said these things were mythical, right?”

“Yeah, at least that’s what most think. But I think there’s some truth to the myths. I mean, there are lots of creatures on Equestria without magic. Why couldn’t one evolve to the level of intelligence humans were said to possess?”

“Wouldn’t you think that such a creature would have been discovered by now if it existed?”

“Maybe. But if it had the intelligence that legend says, maybe it knows how to hide, even from Princess Celestia herself.” She gave a slight sly giggle. “Maybe by...being able to transform at will?”

I could feel sweat beginning to bead down my forehead and gave a shake of my head. “T-that’s utter nonsense. Humans are just myth and folklore. Prince Jake’s uncanny resemblance is little more than a coincidence.”

“Where exactly is your homeland?” she inquired.

“In a galaxy far, far away.” She looked at me in complete confusion and I gave a sigh. “You remember that giant fireball that flew over your town a few days ago?” The unicorn nodded and I continued, “Well, it wasn’t a fireball. Well, technically, it was, but that’s only because the air around it caught fire because it was travelling at supersonic speeds. Anyways, it was our spaceship that crashed.” I walked over to the edge of the ship and pointed a hoof at the sky. “My home is out there, somewhere.”

The unicorn stared at the sky for a long while. “The same as the Yeerks, right?”

“No, they came from someplace even further than us.”

There was a long silence again before she spoke. “Must be rough, being away from your friends and family like this.” She sighed, casting her gaze onto the ground far below. “Do you think we’ll be able to go back to Ponyville someday?”

“If the six of us have been able to live this long against the Yeerks, anything’s possible!” I said encouragingly, but she just kept staring down.

Now, I’m not the most comforting of individuals. When tough situations happen I tend to lose connection with my feelings and focus solely on the objectives. So this situation right now would probably be something Cassie would be better qualified to handle than me. And yet, strangely, I found myself wrapping a hoof around the unicorn and embracing her closely. She was surprised at first but soon returned the gesture.

After a short while she yawned noisily and smiled slightly. “I guess I should get some sleep.” I gave a slight nod and released her. “Thanks for everything. I just needed somepony to talk to. Do you mind if we can talk again?”

I was caught slightly off-guard, but smiled and nodded. “Sure, I don’t mind.” She turned and began walking towards the rear of the ship when I called out “Hey, wait! I don’t even know your name.”

The unicorn paused and turned back to me, a slight smile on her face. “Lyra. Lyra Heartstrings.”

I nodded. “Lyra. I’ll remember that. My name’s Marco.”Lyra smiled wider and gave a wave with her hoof before heading below deck. Alone again, I turned my gaze to the sky, deep in thought.

...What just happened?


Not long after Lyra headed below deck I decided to check up on the others. That, and my shift was almost over, which meant I could finally get some sleep of my own. The gang, plus Twilight and her friends, had taken the Captain’s Quarters as our safe-zone. It was also a good way to ensure that none of the other horses on board would walk in on us while we were demorphed.

When I walked in, though, the room was bathed in a strange purple light. I had to blink and look away from it, stunned momentarily by the sharp contrast.

“Good job, Your Highness!” Twilight’s enthusiasm, and her voice, was unmistakable. “Now, try taking a step, and don’t forget to urge the spell to keep with you.” My eyes had finally adjusted to the light and I looked around. Jake and Twilight stood in the middle of the room, but what was surprising were the bizarre translucent purple bubbles around each of them.

“How can you stand to keep this thing up?” Jake asked, his voice strained. “I feel like I’m trying to keep a roof on my horn.”

“That’s because you’re sustaining the spell while also trying to move the shield, and because we’re on a moving vehicle. It’d be easier both if you weren’t trying to walk and we were on the ground.” Twilight sounded every bit like a professor. “It’s easiest if you cast the spell on an inanimate object like a house or a rock or something, but that wouldn’t protect you all that much.”

Jake gave a groan and he toppled over, the bubble fading away as he did. Twilight’s own bubble burst as she ran over and caught Jake before he hit the floor. After a moment he stood on his own hooves and shook his head.

“That’s what happens when your magic is exhausted.” Twilight brought a hoof to her mouth in thought for a moment. “Which is strange. If you can copy me, why don’t you have my range of spells already learned or at least my large magic reserve?”

“We’ve sort of been wondering that as well,” Jake replied. “I’m still trying to figure everything out, but I think it has to do with this magic.”

“Well, you said there’s no magic where you’re from, right? Except this strange copying power you have.” Jake nodded and Twilight continued, “What if you’re magic-resistant? There are species on Equestria which have been known to feed on emotions. It’s not a stretch to assume there may be creatures that feed on magic, or are even immune to it entirely. Your magical reserves are so low because your natural tendency to resist magic is at odds with your current form.”

“That’s a pretty good theory,” I said. “Only, if that’s the case, why is it that Ax — whose race is the most anti-supernatural group in the galaxy — be constantly acting more and more like Pinkie Pie?”

Both Twilight and Jake started and swung around to look at me, completely surprised by my appearance. “Oh, Sir Marco,” Twilight began, “finished with your shift already?”

“Yeah. It’s a rather calm night out.” I glanced at Jake for a moment. “What’re you two doing up so late?”

“Oh, I thought it might be a good idea to see what else a unicorn can do besides lift things,” Jake explained.

“And how’s that going? Learned anything of use?”

“Well, Prince Jake’s still a beginner when it comes to magical practice, but he almost made a spell shield,” Twilight said.

“I noticed, and it seemed he burst his own bubble.”

“Interesting comment, Marco, because I was just about to ask you to try a hoof at this spell as well,” Twilight said with a grin.

“I thought Rarity wasn’t as skilled as you in magic,” I replied “Can she even perform these spells?”

“Well, it’s true that her specialty isn’t magic, like mine is, but as we’ve seen with Prince Jake your copies of us are based more on your personalities than ours. So it’s possible that you could learn more advanced spells easier than she would, or maybe you could even learn different spells entirely.”

I shook my head. “It’s a nice idea, but I don’t think I can right now. Still feeling a little drained from charging those nodes.” I feigned a yawn and headed for the nearest unoccupied cabin. It wasn’t the Four Seasons, mind you, just a simple bunk and bedside table. I gotta hand it to these ponies, they’re really good at keeping things from going to ruin. Despite being over a thousand years old the room didn’t seem the least bit out of place or spoiled. That was until I spotted the window, which simply had the most appalling crack running down its center. This alone was enough to ruin the atmosphere entirely. I could scarcely believe that Prince Jake would ever insist I sleep in a horrid place such as this.

Wait, since when did I care about aesthetics or appearances?

I closed the door and swiftly demorphed, shaking my head as soon as I was human again. “Man, Marco, this place is starting to get to you...”


I was rudely awoken the next morning by being thrown from my bed and crashing to the floor below. Well, thrown isn’t quite the right word. Launched would be more appropriate. I barely had time to think about the proper term before the entire room tilted and I slid along the floor, bashing my face into the wall. The entire room lurched again and I felt my stomach do the same. I laid there for a moment, dazed, as the room slowly leveled out and the nauseating turbulence stopped.

Once I was certain that nothing else terrible was going to happen I angrily stomped out of my cabin. “What the heck is going on here?!” I shouted to anyone bothering to listen.

“This is hardly the type of flying a lady should have to endure,” an equally-irate Rarity said as she walked into view; I decided to ignore both where she got the eye-mask and how she was walking around with it still on.

“That did not feel good,” Jake said, walking up to me with Twilight next to him. “Still, it seems to have stopped for the moment. Were we under attack?”

“I don’t think so,” a soft voice noted. Fluttershy, naturally. “I didn’t feel any lateral vibrations, ruling out the possibility of something hitting us from the side. It was all vertical drops, like when a pegasus gets a wing cramp.”

<Could the engine have given way?> Ax asked, also stepping into the hall. <Both Twilight and I were concerned for the age of the machine.>

“I doubt it,” Twilight pointed out. “If the engine stopped completely we’d have crashed by now.”

“Then maybe Rainbow fell asleep at the wheel,” Rachel said.

“I don’t want to leave anything to chance,” Jake said. “Rachel, you, Fluttershy, and Rarity go check on Rainbow. Ax, Twilight, Marco, you go check on the engine. And if any of you see Tobias, ask him if he’s seen anything that might pose a problem to us.”

“What are you going to do?” I asked, crossing my arms.

“I’m going to see if any of our passengers were injured, and I may be needed to calm them down.”

Now that everyone had their instructions Jake, Ax, Rachel and I began morphing ponies. I did my best to tune out Rarity’s horrified groans.

“Is it entirely impossible for you to keep your mane styled? I am getting tired of always fixing it,” Rarity declared, walking up to me with a hairbrush floating beside her. I tried to back away as quickly as possible but she was faster. Before I’d even risen my hoof fully my tail was caught in a blue aura and I dragged over to Rarity. She then brought the brush down and began running it along my mane, muttering “How do you get tangles so quickly?” Behind me I could hear Rachel snickering. God, save the Yeerks some trouble and just kill me now, please?

Annoyingly, the others waited for Rarity to make my mane ‘reasonably brushed;’ I bolted for the door as soon as she turned to grab another comb or brush or whatever. Behind me I could hear Twilight laughing as she and Ax ran to catch up with me. Normally I’m pretty resilient when it comes to jokes and insults, but this was really beginning to get to me.

There were a few confused and scared ponies on the deck, but I ignored them as I headed for the engine room. Twilight, however, stopped to talk with them briefly, while Ax — and I’m not kidding here — pulled a balloon out of nowhere, sucked down the helium then proceeded to talk in a high-pitched voice until everyone laughed.

I shook my head and continued on to the engine room, trying to put the oddity of Ax’s behaviour out of my mind. It took them awhile but he and Twilight soon caught up with me and we headed into the bowels of the ship. In there was what looked like some large and altered version of a basic steam engine with a glowing crystal contained on top of it. Twilight immediately rushed over to the crystal and inspected it.

“...this isn’t good,” she whispered softly. “I knew it was old, but to think...” Her voice trailed off, muttering to herself. I waited for a few minutes before speaking up.

“Uh, Twilight? Not all of us understand this crystal you’re so worked up about, darling.”

“I had thought the crystal would be able to power the ship for at least three to four days, but it seems we have closer to one, maybe two if we conserve our power,” she replied.

“Lightening our load would certainly make it easier to conserve energy,” Ax pointed out. “Which we should be doing within the hour, if Rainbow kept us on course.”

“Wait, why can’t you just charge the crystal again? Ax says that’s how you did it the first time,” I asked.

“That probably won’t be the best idea,” Twilight said slowly. “The handle broke off when we started the engine, which closed the circuit and locked the crystal chamber. We can’t get the crystal out without shutting off the engine, and if we do that I doubt we can get the engine started again.” She paused, staring at the crystal for a moment longer. “And this chamber is made of a material designed to contain all magic within and repel any that tries to enter. That way the crystal wouldn’t overload. It also means, unfortunately, that I cannot recharge the crystal while it’s plugged in.”

“OK, is it possible to manually lift the case off?” I asked.

Twilight shook her head. “It’s sealed to prevent any chance of the crystal being dislodged midflight.”

“Perhaps it would be prudent to check the connections between the engine and the drive shaft,” Ax said casually after a moment of silence. “While they may have been designed to withstand various anomalies that occur during flight, they may have deteriorated along with the crystal.”

Again Twilight shook her head and gestured next to the casing. Firmly securing it down were a series of rods and gears all tightly welded and fitted into both engine and case. Even as I stood there they turned and spun and rotated in near-silence.

“Yeah...that’s not going anywhere anytime soon, Ax man.”

“You two go check up on Prince Jake. I’ll stay here and make sure everything else is in working condition,” Twilight said with a wave of her hoof. I shrugged, a little put out that she would send me off like that, and headed back above deck. Ax quickly skipped along and I think was trying to explain something to me but at the rate he was going at I couldn’t make a single word out.

When we finally reached the deck I headed straight for the stern and peered over the edge. I was just interested in taking a look at the fins or rudders or whatever they’re called that were helping us move, but a town not too far from us caught my attention instead.

Now, to call this place a town would be rather generous of me, though. The ‘town’ was small, and all of the buildings were bland in their designs. Colour-wise they were a mixture of greys and pale blue, with an almost western theme to the construction. Yet in the distance I was able to spot a small patch of vivid colours; the unusualness of it and oddity somehow drew your eye towards it inexorably. It looked like an orchard, though not the same one as Applejack’s. The trees were all coloured bright pink; an odd choice but at least it offset the rest of the settlement.

“No Yeerks here?”

Startled, I spun my head around towards the voice and was met by Illusion, still in his unicorn disguise. His eyes were locked onto the approaching settlement with trepidation.

“I certainly hope not. Applebloom says there aren’t many in Dodge because it isn’t that important strategically.”

“You trust Yeerk? I think you not smart.”

“I know we’re not smart — what with the near-suicidal trend for our day to day lives — but it was the best option available,” I replied, my tone just slightly haughty.

“Yeerks liers. Yeerks deceivers.”

“Funny. From what Twilight tells me, you Changelings are exactly the same.”

“We not same!” he shouted defensively. “We only hurt for food. Yeerks worse. Yeerks take and take, leave nothing unharmed. They no need others to eat. They not care about others. They not care about Hive!”

“Sure they do,” I said casually. “Just not your Hive. They care about themselves and nothing else.”

Illusion straightened his posture. “Yeerks no care about themselves. Yeerks competitive. Yeerk Vissers willing to do anything for power. Also, Yeerks talk of one Visser killing many Yeerks. Never good reason for, he just kills.”

“Yeah, he is a little overly dramatic.”

Illusion turned to look at me, his expression curiously thoughtful. “Changelings protect other Changelings. We care for injured and sick. Not like Yeerk at all.”

As I was thinking of something to add I felt the ship slow down ever so slightly. Gradually it continued to slow and we began descended.

<Attention everypony,> Ax said in open thought speak. <We’ve begun our descent and shall be landing on the outskirts of... Dodge in a matter of moments. We thank you for flying The Airship Impossible.>

I sighed and shook my head. “I have got to teach that boy how to properly joke.”

I walked towards the center of the main deck with Illusion following. Ponies were already beginning to gather expectantly, with those closest to the edge of the ship peering over to get a glimpse at the town. Rather fittingly, curious locals from the town were wandering over and pointing up at us.

“Alright, everypony listen up!” Twilight’s voice rang loud and clear, almost as if she were standing right beside me. I looked around and finally spotted her outside the helm, her horn glowing softly. “Myself and the Prince are going to hold up the loading ramps so everypony can disembark. I’ve drawn up a list of all your names that should allow everypony to get off safely, quickly and orderly.”

“She made a list for telling people to get off a ship?” I asked out loud. Illusion looked at me and nodded slowly.

“Like I say, you all weird.”

Odd though it may have been, the horses all nodded and quickly filed off as Twilight called their names. Even funnier, even the pegasi waited until their name was called and they calmly walked down the ramp. Lyra paused and waved at me before she headed down and I waved back. Soon it was just us, Twilight and her friends, Applejack’s family, and Illusion.

“Ax just finished telling me about our engine problem,” Jake said. “You think we have enough power to get to the Hive?”

“Yes, I do,” Twilight replied. “Though I’m a little more concerned about the getting back part. I was theorizing that if you, me, Rarity and Marco focus the majority of our energy on moving the ship we could make it towards the Hive in a couple of hours. The problem, though, is that we’d be reduced to less than thirty percent of our remaining magic reserves.”

“What if only two unicorns were focusing on moving the ship?” Jake asked.

Twilight pondered for a moment. “It’d take us longer, maybe closer to a full day to get to the edge of the Badlands. Also, there’s no guarantee that this method would save us more reserve energy.”

Jake nodded. “Alright, then. Me and Marco can handle it ourselves.”

“Are you crazy? No offence, but two beginners like you cannot focus your magic for so long without the potential for serious mental and physical health risk!”

“Illusion can help us, then,” Jake retorted.

“Ah gotta side with Twi here, yer Majesty,” Applejack cut in. “Ah know ya think ya can handle it yerself, but don’cha think it’d be wise to let her help?”

“Hard to help if she’s not here.” Jake set his jaw. “We go alone from this point on.”

“Oh no, we’re not leaving you guys alone now!” Rainbow said with a glare.

Jake looked at Rainbow’s injured wing. “This is too risky. We all saw how well you six performed in the Pool. What makes you think this’ll be any easier? If anything it’ll be worse because they know we’re here.”

“Well, Ah’d say there’s safety in numbers then.”

“Yeah, and far as I know none of you shapeshifters knows how to fly this thing!”

“The design is not so different from most Earth naval craft,” Ax said. “I should be able to learn the mechanisms easily enough. Mecha. Meh-meh-meh-ka.”

“Whether you can pilot the ship or not isn’t important,” Twilight said. “The important thing is this; like it or not you guys need us. We’ve been here longer that you have, so we know our ways around and how to deal with certain threats. Also, unlike you we don’t need to return to our normal forms every two hours. That means me and Rarity could propel the ship when you and Marco have to rest.” Twilight paused for a moment, motioning to her friends. “And if that’s not enough, we each represent the Elements of Harmony. We’ve dealt with a bunch of tough situations in the past. We’ve taken on an army of Changelings and won, we even went up against the spirit of chaos!” Twilight puffed out her chest. “Trust me. We’ll be your biggest allies in this fight.”

Jake looked like he was getting ready for round two, but then Cassie stepped forward. “I agree with Twilight, we’ve only seen the residential areas of this planet. Who knows what kind of animals or other dangers are out there, so we’d need all the support we can find.” She looked at the ponies and smiled.

“I’m with Cassie,” Rachel added. “We might know how to fight Yeerks but they know how to take on Changelings. Just seems like a stupid thing to toss away when we’re going right onto their doorstep.”

I felt all eyes on me and my ears flattened against my head of their own accord. “Why do I have to make the tie-breaker?” I muttered to myself. I took a look around the group, glancing from Jake, to Twilight, to a bouncing Ax, to Cassie. I inhaled deeply and spoke up, “Twilight and Cassie are right, Jake. They know this world better than we do.”

Jake sighed. “Alright, fine. Looks like I’ve been overruled.” He paused for a moment, looking at Applejack’s family. “Applebloom, you’re with us. The other two-”

“Granny Smith and Big Mac,” Twilight supplied.

“Right, them. They can stay here with the others.”

“Now hold on a sec,” the elderly pony, who I guess was Granny Smith, said. “Why does Applebloom have t’ go with you?”

“She ain’t going with them, Granny, she’s going with me.” Applejack said. “And y’all know I’d never let anythin’ happen t’ my little sister.” I noticed Applejack shoot a subtle distraught look to Applebloom, who flattened her ears in embarrassment.

“Now don’t you worry none, Granny,” Big Mac drawled. “Applejack and her friends can take care of Applebloom.” He looked at Applejack, who quickly nodded back and gave a hesitant smile.

Granny Smith nodded as well and soon she and Big Mac were making their way off the ship. Big Mac paused at the ramp and turned back to us. "Take care of yerself, alright Applejack? And watch Applebloom too."

"Ah will," Applejack replied stoically. With that, Big Mac gave a nod and continued down the ramp with Granny Smith. Once they were among the other passengers we all turned to one another.

“Not to sound worrisome or anything,” I began, breaking the uncomfortable silence that had descended, “but do any of us actually have a plan?”

The ship shifted slightly, and I only now noticed that Rainbow wasn’t with us and assumed that she was still at the helm. Another silence fell over the group, with everyone looking at everyone else with various degrees of concern.

Author's Note:

Author's Note: Written by Samaru163 and Tricondon.