• Published 22nd May 2015
  • 7,556 Views, 1,562 Comments

It's OK to Be a Pony - David Silver



Lyra Heartstrings, transformation specialist and social worker for those who believe they were not born ponies. These are her therapy sessions, both in group and in private.

  • ...
53
 1,562
 7,556

PreviousChapters Next
15 - Twilight Time

At her wits end, Lyra, with the help of her patients, hefted up the heavy earth pony, still tied up, and they all journeyed to Twilight's castle.

Spike answered the door with a raised brow. "Uh...?"

Lyra pointed at her captive. "We have a prisoner and need to turn him over to Princess Twilight Sparkle for questioning." She leaned in. "Please be fast, I think he's an alien."

Spike blinked owlishly. "Uh..."

"Who's there, Spike?" came Twilight's voice as she came into view from deeper in the castle. On seeing Lyra and her retinue, she tilted her head. "Do come in, Lyra. Why do you have a pony tied up?"

"She's crazy!" suddenly blurted the captive, wriggling around in their grasp.

They hauled him in despite his protests and threw him at Twilight's hooves. Lyra pointed down at him. "This pony wasn't a pony before. He was a human. Right guys?"

No one could confirm the sight, having been knocked out at the time. Twilight rubbed behind her head a moment. "Let's have a look?"

They hefted up the prisoner and carried his wriggling form into Twilight's laboratory, where she strapped him into a chair and got to work scanning him. "Huh, what do you know?"

"Found it?" Lyra leaned over, trying to see the the readout.

"I found something." Twilight poked the paper spilling free. "He was clearly under the effects of a polymorph recently."

Lyra swallowed nervously. "I, uh, did turn him into a chicken? But that was before he became a pony. You're not picking that up are you?"

Twilight gave a soft smile. "Actually, I don't think it's your spell. It doesn't have your signature at all. Light up your horn for me." Twilight stared at Lyra's glowing horn carefully. "Not the same. This pony isn't a transmuted human, he was a pony transmuted into a human."

The pony winced at Twilight's words, giving them credence. Lyra fished out his gear and dumped it out onto the floor. "He said something about his breathing mask?"

Twilight picked up the mask and sniffed it once before quickly putting it down. "I smell poison joke. This must have been what let him keep the form. You've proven your case, Lyra." She turned on the pony, "As for you, answers, now; unless you want to deal with Celestia, and then the royal jails."

He didn't seem to like the idea of being jailed and wriggled in his bindings. "Please don't... I'm sorry! Please!"

Lyra prodded him in the ribs. "Get talking. Why were you chasing her?" She pointed at Sunny Dawn. "Who are you working with? And how do you even know what a human is, let alone how to turn into one?"

He sagged, going limp at last. "It was just a joke gone too far..."

Sunny Dawn's wings spread wide. "A joke?! You killed my parents, or foalnapped them, or something. I still can't remember clearly. How is this a joke?!"

He chuckled a little. "You're the one that dared them."

Sunny Dawn shrank back. "Dare..." Her eyes looked off into the distance, as if starting to remember. "A dare... I didn't need parents anymore. I'm an adult now. I could take care of myself..."

He nodded. "Exactly right. You agreed to this. You gave up when you returned home."

She slammed a hoof onto the ground. "Why did you tackle me?! What was that about forgetting again?!"

Lyra rejoined the questioning. "Who were you talking to in the fog? I heard you talking."

He wriggled a little. "I'm explaining, give me a moment, please... I was going to make you forget the false memories, and bring you to your parents."

Sunny Dawn shook her head. "What?! Why did I have to be in a cage, starving, for days for that?"

He squirmed again, pulling at his bindings. "I didn't make the potion. You had to fast before I gave the cure. I didn't think you'd have the strength to push past me and take off like you did."

Lyra rolled a hoof. "And the other pony you were talking to?"

Spike poked his head down. "Two ponies here to see you, Twi."

Two pegasi descended the stairs almost as soon as Spike said that. Sunny Dawn's face turned almost instantly to joy and she rushed to them. "Mom, Dad!" She tackled them to the ground, and hugs were given warmly from all sides.

Lyra rubbed behind her head, and looked to Twilight. Twilight nodded with uncertainty. "OK, this is explaining some of it, but not why humans were involved at all."

Sunny Dawn's mother spoke, "They were Sunny's favorite mythological creature."

Sunny flushed red, remembering this. "Oh gosh..."

Steven tilted his head. "So... you weren't ever a human?"

Sunny moved over to reclaim the respirator and put her snout to it. She soon became Samantha, "I was. It was a game... I remember now."

Sunny's father rubbed against one of her legs. "A game you're ready to put aside now?"

Samantha set the breather down with shaking hands, but her fingers didn't leave it. "I'm not sure I am..." She picked it up again and turned to her parents. "But I was an idiot for thinking I didn't want my folks. Forgive me?"

Sunny's mother extended a wing. "So long as you remember you promised to do all the chores for a week."

Lucy shook her head. "Now just wait a moment. Where did the memories of being a waiter come from?"

Samantha fell to all fours, becoming Sunny Dawn. "I made it all up. It was just a story I wrote as a filly."

Steven nodded a little. "You were pretty realistic about it, considering you weren't ever on Earth."

Lyra pointed at the still tied up assaulter. "As for you, you still owe us a new window, sheesh. There are way better ways than gassing an entire house. What were you thinking?"

His ears fell. "They asked me to be discreet..."

Twilight blinked. "That sounds like the opposite of discretion. I've heard enough. It sounds like everything's under control now." She pointed at the tied up stallion. "You're free to go, but you're responsible for that window."

They untied him and Lyra noticed he had a cutie mark. "Does it erase your mark?"

Sunny nodded. "The more you use it, the longer it stays away."

Sunny's mother softly boxed Sunny on the head. "Which is why you should stop using it. Come on, let's go home."

Sunny nodded at her mother before turning to Lyra. "Can I... still see you?"

Lyra put a hoof to her chest, surprised at the question. "Of course, but aren't you cured?"

Sunny leaned in and rubbed noses. "I still have other issues, I think... I'm tired of running away from them, on two legs or four."

Sunny departed with her parents and their hired stallion. Steven chuckled softly. "That was bizarre, but I'm glad it wasn't... more."

Lucy nodded her head. "You're telling me? I'm exhausted. Little pony bodies need to sleep." She toddled off back towards the house, leaving the others behind.

Lyra thanked Twilight, and took her leave as well, walking along with Steven. "Thanks for your help, and sorry for all the excitement."

Steven waved a hoof. "You didn't ask for that. I'm just amazed she was a pony the whole time."

Lyra looked sideways towards Steven as she walked. "Does it make you worry about your own past?"

"Maybe a little..." Steven rolled his shoulders. "But I feel pretty sure about it."

Author's Note:

The situation resolves itself without a world-wide conspiracy theory, just another crazy footnote in Lyra's amazing career as a therapist.

PS: Sorry for the sudden escalation, which I hear upset a pony or two out there.

PreviousChapters Next