• Published 22nd May 2015
  • 7,556 Views, 1,562 Comments

It's OK to Be a Pony - David Silver



Lyra Heartstrings, transformation specialist and social worker for those who believe they were not born ponies. These are her therapy sessions, both in group and in private.

  • ...
53
 1,562
 7,556

Chapters Next
1 - Work is Rough

Lyra slumped onto her couch with a loud sigh, but she wasn't alone. Her cherished other half was there, and slipped a chocolate into her snout. Lyra gently chewed a moment, letting the delicious blend of flavors dance across her tongue. "You're too good to me, Bonny. You wouldn't believe the day I had today."

Sweetie Drops, known more affectionately as Bon Bon or Bonnie, settled down beside Lyra. "Tell me all about it." She was always so supportive. Lyra couldn't even express how deeply she loved the mare. She leaned over and kissed her between the eyes.

"Well, get this. This stallion walked in with this huge frown on his face. He was ordered to see me after he made a big fuss in the market, ya know? He wanted meat, raw meat!"

Bon Bon stuck out her tongue in distaste. "Yuck! What for? Did he have a pet? He should have gone to Fluttershy for that."

Lyra held up a hoof. "One sec, just remembered. This is supposed to be secret." Bon Bon just watched her quietly, and her resolve broke quickly. "Oh alright, don't twist my arm about it! So no, he doesn't have a pet. He wanted to cook it up and eat it himself."

Bon Bon shuddered with revulsion. "Blech!" She pulled another chocolate out of her bag and popped it into Lyra's snout out of sympathy. "That's just awful. Why?"

Lyra pointed at herself with a hoof, chewing the chocolate quickly. "That's what I'm paid to find out. So I sat him down and asked for his name. Thomas Peterson. What kind of name is that? I tried to get his real name but he wouldn't give it, so I went on. I saw he was a unicorn, did I mention that yet?"

Bon Bon shook her head, watching and listening with rapt attention.

"Yeah, OK, so he's a unicorn, so I ask him how much training he's had with magic. You know how it is. Some of the most talented unicorns get a few screws loose upstairs." Lyra swirled her hoof beside her head in a symbol of insanity. "But get this, he doesn't even know how to use magic at all. He can't even pick things up! When I ask where he went to school, he gets really agitated. He says he's from some place called 'Amareica' or something, and they didn't teach unicorn magic there. Kind of a lousy school if you ask me."

Bon Bon tapped her chin thoughtfully. "What if he's not from there? I never heard of Amareica before."

Lyra pointed at Bon Bon. "Exactly! That's what I was thinking. He starts complaining about how he isn't 'really' a pony. 'I was born something else.' And he describe this thing with only two legs, and wriggly things at the ends of all its hooves that it uses to grab things? Fingers! Like diamond dogs and minotaurs."

Bon Bon tilted her head. "And dragons, like Spike? He has fingers, doesn't he?"

"Yeah, like those." Lyra smiled with pride at her clever marefriend. "So I look him over for transformation magic, you know, he could be telling the truth right? But there's nothing there. No magic at all, besides the usual stuff. So I figure he's obviously traumatized by something, so I just get to talking with him."

Bon Bon leaned in, nuzzling into Lyra's cheek gently. "Did you get through to him?"

"Not so fast." Lyra sighed. "It was only the first session. He left pretty huffy about the whole thing, but I'll keep at it. Poor guy, he looks so lost and scared. I hope I can get to him."

Bon Bon smiled encouragingly. "If anypony can, you can, my lovely Heartstrings. Dinner's almost ready." she slipped to her hooves and trotted towards the kitchen. "I'll call you when it's done."

Lyra settled comfortable into her chair and reached for a cup of tea Bon Bon had left for her. She ruminated on the conversation as she sipped. That stallion had been so convinced, but he was obviously so lost and panicked. What would it be like to forget you were a pony? Lyra did not envy the stallion, and frowned with thoughts of how to make progress the next day.

Yes, she'll start with his parents. Were they both unicorns as well, or did he block their memory out with thoughts of the biped he thought he was? Lyra frowned a little in thought. It would require a gentle approach. She didn't want to come across as accusing him, or doubting him, even if she did. She pushed herself from the chair and trotted across to the bookshelf, pulling out a tome of exotic creatures and flipping through in an idle search.

She found no small selection of biped species. Fewer were both furless and scale free. Fewer still also had fingers. Ultimately she narrowed the options down to two possible matches. Not that she thought he was either of these two, but knowing the workings of his delusion may help to free him of them, so she studied the ways of the wood sprites and the humans. Hadn't he said something about humans? He was speaking rather quickly at first and she couldn't be sure, but it was a start at least.

If she didn't help him, who would? The idea of the poor stallion being thrown out onto the streets just to get into trouble again, likely much more severe, it made her heart ache with sympathy.

Lyra Heartstrings was on the case.

Chapters Next