• Published 22nd May 2015
  • 7,556 Views, 1,562 Comments

It's OK to Be a Pony - David Silver



Lyra Heartstrings, transformation specialist and social worker for those who believe they were not born ponies. These are her therapy sessions, both in group and in private.

  • ...
53
 1,562
 7,556

PreviousChapters Next
17 - Water from Stone

Lyra returned home to find Sweetie Drops still behind the counter, and two ponies for customers, and she recognized them. Darrell and Shattered Stone were seated side-by-side, sharing candies and chatting. They looked happy enough, though Lyra began to wonder what they were up to.

She crept up quietly to Bon Bon, staying below the counter. Bon Bon looked down at her with a raised brow and Lyra waved for her to come down with her.

Bon Bon sighed, then lowered herself. "Stop being weird, Lyra." Then she rose up without listening to anything Lyra had to say.

Lyra pouted, but gave up her attempt at stealth and stood up. Darrell spotted her instantly. "Hey Lyra! We were hoping you'd get here soon."

Shattered bobbed his head. "We got you a special treat."

Bon Bon dipped down and pulled out a large box and set it on the counter. "They wouldn't stop pestering me until I told them."

Lyra used her magic to quickly open the box, jittering with excitement. "You didn't have to...?" She trailed off as the inside was revealed to be a smooth sphere, like a great big marble of dark cyan. "What is it?" She was hoping for a carrot cake, considering the box's size. This thing could have fit in a much smaller box, being only softball sized.

Darrell reached in and scooped it out with a hoof, setting it on the counter. "It's a focus, for 'especially talented unicorns.'"

Shattered brushed his wing over it, polishing it to a shine. "The pony at the store said it helps keep spells going."

Lyra grinned like a fool. She should have recognized it. She snatched up the marble in her magic and could feel even the touch of her horn's almost passive grip flow so smoothly around it. "How did you get enough bits for this? These things are only made by, like... two ponies in all Equestria."

Darrell and Shattered shared a look before Shattered answered. "Well a lot of it was Sunny. Her parents wanted to reward you for keeping her safe, but we all chipped in."

"Except Sam." Shattered stuck out his tongue. "He didn't even want to talk."

Lyra pouted a moment. "I'm working on that, but thank you all so much. This is too much." She wagged the orb around, considering what to do with it.

Darrell started to look nervous and Shattered swatted her on the back. "Go on, ask."

Darrell cleared her throat. "Well, uh, I was thinking maybe... if it wouldn't be so bad, you could use it to make me a stallion?"

Bon Bon snorted, barely fighting down a laugh. She wandered off towards the kitchen where she could laugh without hurting their feelings.

Lyra bobbed her head. "A fine test! I'll make you such a stallion!"

Shattered chuckled. "Let's not go overboard. He has to fit you know."

Lyra looked confused a moment before bursting into laughter. "I'll keep that in mind." She focused her magic through the orb she held and bathed Darrell in the warm glow. To a human, the difference between a mare and a stallion was all in the muzzle shape, but Lyra knew there was so much more to it, and took her time. It felt so easy to do with the orb to help lay down the semi-permanent tracks. A shame the orb could only hold up one spell at a time, but ah well. Soon Darrell was a fine specimen of masculinity.

Darrell giggled, then cleared his throat and let out a deeper laugh. "I'm fixed! I knew you could do it!"

Lyra waved the orb. "Fair warning, it only holds one spell at a time. If I use it for anything else, it's back to mare for you."

Shattered tilted his head. "So why not just put it away?"

Lyra considered that with a soft chin tapping. She didn't have the orb before that day, and Darrell's joyful expression was something she wanted to last. "Well... alright, for now. Find another way before the year's up though. It wouldn't be healthy to hold it that long anyway." No sooner than she finished than Darrell lept over the counter and tackled her to the ground, gushing his thanks and squeezing her tightly.

Eventually the two departed. Lyra noticed that Darrell didn't mention once any dissatisfaction with his pony self, and hadn't in some time, and felt happy. Both he and Shattered had come around a good way. Lyra took over cooking that evening, letting Sweetie take a break and be fed for a change. They enjoyed their meal together, and the day ended.

Lyra woke the next day and found Cheerilee on the way to her office. The school-mare smiled brightly. "I was hoping to see you. Can you tell me more about Lucy?"

Lyra tilted her head. "Hey Cheers, what about her?"

Cheerilee rolled a hoof. "She's behaving better, and thank you for that, but I can't shake the feeling there's something... off about her. She doesn't know things that should be obvious, but pulls out things no foal has any business knowing. I just don't understand how she knows what she knows."

Lyra cringed a little, pondering quickly what she should say. "Well... she is a special foal. She just wants to learn, and to teach. It's her cutie mark even! She wants to be a teacher like you, Cheerilee."

Cheerilee reacted well to the idea of being copied. "Oh that's sweet, did she says that?"

Lyra bobbed her head. "She definitely wants to be a teacher. She, uh, said she was a teacher in a past life." Not technically a lie.

Cheerilee tilted her head, leaning in a little. "You believe in that? I would laugh, but she really does act like that, doesn't she? Maybe it's a crystal pony thing... Well, thank you, Lyra. I'll try to be patient with her." She walked off towards the market, leaving Lyra to get to her office and flip the sign over to 'open'.

Author's Note:

Lyra, getting things done, even when she's not at work!

PreviousChapters Next