• Published 22nd May 2015
  • 7,556 Views, 1,562 Comments

It's OK to Be a Pony - David Silver



Lyra Heartstrings, transformation specialist and social worker for those who believe they were not born ponies. These are her therapy sessions, both in group and in private.

  • ...
53
 1,562
 7,556

PreviousChapters Next
6 - Can't Sleep, Horses Will Eat Me

Lyra decided to try a new tactic. While her patients were slowly revealing more information, it was always through the filter that they knew she was judging and analyzing what they said. She wanted the truth, so she made a quick trip up to Canterlot and spent some of her bits on fancy monitoring devices. Sure they were expensive, though maybe Twilight Sparkle would see fit to reimburse some of it. It would be worth it to watch and listen to her vexing patients in their 'natural' environment.

She trotted through the roads of Ponyville with a smile. Putting them all in the same house was about to pay off big time with the information she'd get. A small part of her asked the larger portion if it was OK to trample their privacy, but the other part scoffed. "They don't have to know, and it's for their good." She stomped a hoof before proceeding. "They're all so miserable in their own way, and I'm the only one helping them."

With the house rigged under guise of a house inspection, she trotted away with a smug grin. With her magic she adjusted her tophat, which had the receiving element inside. With a twist she activated it, and began to listen and see.

The first thing she saw was Sam's huge eyeball hovering just in front of one of the arcane sensors. She squeaked and swapped to another view, instead looking at the pony's profile from a small distance away. He was talking. "I'm telling you, I saw her putting something around here."

A pegasus strode into view, Steven. "I don't see anything, man. Relax. Even if she did, we don't have anything to hide."

Sam wheeled on Steven. "I'm no prisoner! I have rights!"

Lucy's voice joined the conversation from another room. "Quick, tell us the bill of rights for pony land."

Sam grunted in frustration and sank to his haunches. "I don't like the idea of it..."

Steven put a hoof on Sam's shoulder, patting before he leaned in and hugged him rather affectionately. Were they a thing, or were they just good friends? Lyra hadn't suspected either of being a colt cuddler, though that wasn't illegal. She made diligent notes on a floating pad as she strode into her office and settled to watch and listen.

Sam seemed to relax into the embrace and the room went quiet until Lucy came out of her room and spotted them. She stuck out her tongue. "Get a room."

Sam huffed in annoyance. "It's not like you're actually young or anything."

Lucy shrugged. "True enough, but good luck convincing the ponies around here of that. I swear! I went into some advanced math with one and she just got this big grin and said I'd definitely get a 'cutie mark' in numbers for sure."

Sam pointed at Steven's flank. "You already have one of those." They separated as all three looked at the fairly clear picture of a photograph of a butterfly. "Looks like you're still a photographer?"

Steven shrugged a little. "I don't know where to get a camera though." He sagged sadly.

Lyra pumped a hoof with triumph. Yes! She'd get Steven a camera, and he could integrate back into pony society. He was already such a nice soul. Perhaps being united with his purpose would nudge him along the right path.

Lucy tilted her little head. "How do you even take pictures without fingers?"

Sam had an answer for that. "I saw this little horse with a camera around his neck. He was taking pictures without any problems at all, but forget that a moment. Why get a camera? What we need is to get out of this crazy place."

Lucy rolled a hoof with an exasperated expression. "And how do you propose that?"

"Well, dying got me here?"

The room went quiet. Lyra realized she stopped breathing and put a hoof over her heart, trying to calm herself.

Steven shoved Sam lightly. "Don't even joke about that! Equestria's not so bad we should throw ourselves off a cliff. Promise me you won't do that." He was staring at Sam with the most charmingly distressed face. Aw. They really do like each other. Lyra felt her mood brightening at the love she saw.

Lucy shook her head. "Even if you were caught in some kind of reincarnation... thing... the next place you ended up could be significantly inferior to our current situation. It also doesn't explain us, unless you think Steven and I just died in our sleep. I was quite healthy, I'll have you know, and Steven didn't sound like he was leading a sedate life either."

Sam reached out for Lucy, but she nimbly dodged away, only to flop over onto her side. He grabbed her on the second try while she was down. Lyra frowned a little, wondering if Sam was a negative influence on their group. "Now look here. I don't know how it worked with you, but I was definitely going off the side of a cliff. This place is like purgatory or hell or something."

Steven asked with a smile. "Why can't it be heaven?" Lyra didn't understand some of the terms being thrown around, but was building in curiosity.

Lucy wriggled in Sam's hooked arm. "I would hope heaven doesn't have ruffians in it. Release me this instant!"

Steven gestured at Lucy. "Stop picking on her. She's not even half your size."

Sam released Lucy to fall to the ground. "Fine, whatever. I'm going to bed."

Lucy got back to her hooves with an angry snort and walked off towards the kitchen. Steven was soon left alone. "It's not even evening yet..." He sighed and wandered out of view of the sensor.

Lyra turned off her top hat with a twist and frowned with thought. What could she take away from all that?

A: Sam is dangerously unstable and should be monitored as a risk to himself and others around him, possibly suicidal, extremely confused.
B: Steven is, relatively, well adjusted. Secure camera as soon as possible and try to get him involved in photography circles. High chance of recovery.
C: Lucy is the kind of foal that likes to show off her maturity. Perhaps her delusions aren't as fanciful as first diagnosed. She just wants to be seen as a bright little gem pony she is. The human part is a foalish fancy. See about getting her into more challenging classes that will stimulate her.

Lyra tapped her quill against her writing pad a moment, then nodded to herself. There was so much to do.

Author's Note:

Is wiretapping your patients legal in Equestria? Probably not. Naughty Lyra. She means well at least.:facehoof:

PreviousChapters Next