• Published 22nd May 2015
  • 7,556 Views, 1,562 Comments

It's OK to Be a Pony - David Silver



Lyra Heartstrings, transformation specialist and social worker for those who believe they were not born ponies. These are her therapy sessions, both in group and in private.

  • ...
53
 1,562
 7,556

PreviousChapters Next
4 - The Little Life

Lyra smiled down at Lucy, who was laying across a bed twice as large as she was. "Good afternoon, Lucy. I hear you started school today?"

Lucy gave an uncertain nod, clinking her crystal hooves together nervously. "I thought I was done with school. I suffered through years of it..." She looked up at Lyra. "Equestrian schools are strange."

Lyra shook her head. "They're the only schools that I know you've been to. What's so strange about them?"

Lucy sat up. "We'll start with the lack of division by age. I'm sitting next to this boy pony, uh, colt? He's twice my size!" Her voice become a shrill little squeak before she caught herself. "It's not normal."

Lyra nodded as she took a few notes. "Is this colt bothering you?"

Lucy shook her head. "Oh! No... he's fine. He's actually kind of nice. He helped me with geography."

A smile spread over Lyra's face. "Aw, that sounds lovely. Why are you upset he's there then?"

Lucy frowned and sank back to her belly. "It's just not... standard. I should be making friends with other people--"

"Ponies."

"people my own age, even if I am a little kid right now."

"Filly."

Lucy hopped to her hooves with obvious irritation. "Stop correcting me! Child, kid, youngster, filly, whatever. They're all perfectly functional synonyms!" She flopped onto her belly again, looking tired. "Cheerilee failed me in linguistics class. Me, a solid B+ student..."

Lyra reached forward. Lucy allowed the contact and she softly stroked the filly's mane. "I'll talk to her, alright?"

Lucy seemed to brighten at the promise. "Will you really? What's so wrong with using 'people' anyway? Griffons aren't ponies, or dragons, but they are people." She rolled over onto her back. "Oh god, why am I accepting those things as default?"

Lyra smiled gently. "You're getting better. Griffons and dragons are a part of Equestria, and it's good that you want to be fair to them, even linguistically. You're a very smart little filly, and I'm proud of you. Don't worry, I'll talk to Cheerilee about it."

Lucy was caught between emotions. Support against the linguistic tyranny of Cheerilee sounded wonderful, but Lyra was far too happy about it. "I'm still not a pony..."

Lyra pointed a hoof at Lucy. "You are clearly a cute little crystal filly. Even you saw that."

Lucy groaned in frustration. "But I wasn't before!" She pointed at Lyra's flank. "Why do almost all of you people have pictures on your rumps?"

Lyra's horn glowed as she conjured her lyra and began to play it with her magic, filling the small room with sweet and soothing music. "They are cutie marks, symbols of our special talents. I'm really good at the lyre, as you can hear."

Lucy nodded lightly, listening to the peaceful music. "How'd you end up being a psychologist?"

Lyra looked a little confused. "I am a helper of the mind, a special friend." She held out a hoof. "I'm here to help you remember that it's OK to be a pony, and whatever hurt you before, we can deal with. You're safe with me."'

Lucy snorted loudly. "I'm not some lost child! My parent were lovely people that put me through college. I visited them every year until they died, and it breaks my heart that I can't even visit their graves now."

Lyra cringed as she added to her notes. Parents dead. Possible repression of memories? Obvious love for missing parental figures. Could be symbolic. Maybe neglect, or traumatic incident.

"What are you writing?" Lucy leaned forward.

Lyra easily kept it out of her view. "That's for me to know. Why don't you tell me more about those parents of yours? How did they treat you around the house?"

Lucy became noticeably withdrawn as she described a fairly normal household. The more she went, the quieter and slower she got. Lyra held up a hoof. "You've answered enough for today. Why don't you go outside and play with your friends?"

Lucy shrank. "I don't really have friends."

Lyra gestured outside. "What about that colt that helped you with geography? Or even the others in the circle. You were getting along with them well. You have plenty of friends, just go up to one of them and say hello."

Lucy gave a cautious smile. "You're right. I'm not alone." She moved for the door and tried to reach the handle, but was too small to manage it. Lyra grabbed it with her magic and gave it a soft twist and pull. Lucy wave back at her. "See you Saturday." And she was gone.

Lyra frowned at her notes, tapping the pad with her quill thoughtfully. How could she drill past the layers of deception and comforting illusions to get at the truth? She set her lyre down beside her chair and hopped to her hooves. Trotting over to the window, she looked down on Ponyville and it's population of mostly happy and well-adjusted ponies. This was her first serious case, and she wasn't going to mess it up!

She moved for her calender and peeked at who was coming next. Sam, the earth pony 'truck driver'. Not that there weren't trucks in Equestria, but they were few and far between. Surely if he was one, someone would turn up looking for him? She tapped her chin, trying to plan ahead for the session. Perhaps more interactive means would help get to the bottom of this mental mystery.

PreviousChapters Next