• Published 22nd May 2015
  • 7,556 Views, 1,562 Comments

It's OK to Be a Pony - David Silver



Lyra Heartstrings, transformation specialist and social worker for those who believe they were not born ponies. These are her therapy sessions, both in group and in private.

  • ...
53
 1,562
 7,556

PreviousChapters Next
9 - Good Cheerilee

Lyra sat across from little Lucy and their guest, Cheerilee. "I'm glad you could make time for us. I know your job keeps you quite busy."

Cheerilee smiled, putting a hoof to her chest. "Oh, no, for this I can make time. Lucy here has proven to be quite a unique case for me."

Lucy huffed softly, her tail wagging back and forth quickly. Lyra raised a brow. "How have things been in school?"

Cheerilee wobbled a hoof in Lucy's direction. "Lucy is a stunningly smart and clever foal. Her knowledge of math is far beyond that of the other students, but it's not all elevated. She has entirely fictional knowledge regarding alchemy."

Lucy sprung to her hooves. "It's not alchemy! It's chemistry! There's no magic involved, it's just the rules of the universe at work."

Cheerilee leaned forward a little. "It scares me a little. She says clouds can form all on their own and even describes how, though the process is entirely nonsense. She describes fire as air combining with things! How does that work?"

Lyra was no science expert, but what was being described sounded pretty crazy. She decided to give Lucy a chance to defend herself first. "Lucy, let's pretend I'm the student a moment. Teach me something."

Lucy flopped onto her belly with a bitter expression. "What do you want to know about? My world doesn't have magic, so things have to work out on their own, or they wouldn't work out."

Lyra rolled a hoof. "Alright, I accept that for now. How about that fire thing? We have fires without magic just fine. You can explain that, right?"

Lucy took a slow breath. "I can try. Fire is a chemical reaction. Oxygen combines with matter and releases a fair bit of energy, which makes the heat and light. The heat can feed more combinations, which makes more heat, and soon whatever it is that caught on fire is consumed in flame."

Lyra nodded slowly, trying to keep up a supportive face. "What's oxah gen?"

Lucy rolled onto her side. "The atmosphere, at least back home, was comprised primarily by a few key gasses. These were nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide. There was also a good amount of suspended water."

Cheerilee suddenly butted in, "If there's water in the air, wouldn't everypony get wet, and put out all the fires?"

Lucy put her hooves at either side of her head like she was fighting off a headache. "It's a very small amount of water in gas form that can't get you wet easily."

This was beyond Lyra's comprehension. "Water is wet, except when it's frozen, then it's just cold."

Lucy suddenly sprung up. "I can prove this one! Do you have a stove and a pot?"

She looked suddenly so cheerful, Lyra couldn't bring herself to deny her. "Let's take a little trip, if that's alright, Cheerilee?" Soon they were on their way to the shop/home of Lyra and Bon Bon.

Lyra greeted her marefriend with a soft hug before asking to borrow the kitchen a moment. They filed into the room, with Sweetie Drops peeking in from the doorway between customers.

Lucy spotted a tea kettle and grabbed its handle in her mouth, moving over to the sink and filling it up, then hopping up onto the stove and getting the fire going under it. "Watch."

Patience was rewarded with the kettle starting to whistle softly. "See! Boiling water turns to gas, and that's what makes the whistle work."

Cheerilee extended a hoof carefully into the path of the tooting kettle and brought it towards Lucy. "But it is wet, see?" The steam had made her fur damp. "You're obviously a brilliant foal, but some of these ideas..."

Lyra reached over with her magic and turned off the heat, quieting the kettle. "Well I learned something today." They both looked at her and she tilted her head. "What? I didn't know why the whistle worked."

Cheerilee looked amused, but shook her head at Lucy. "There's another problem. How did you live in steam all the time? That's hot."

"What? No, I..." Lucy sank again, clearly frustrated. "Water doesn't have to be steam to be air, it's just the easiest way to show you. If you fill a bucket up with water, doesn't it slowly go down?"

"No?" said Cheerilee with confusion.

Lyra shrugged. "I've only seen that happen in really hot places."

Lucy gave a sudden cry of dismay. "This whole world is crazy!"

Cheerilee looked to Lyra helplessly. "I don't know what to do..."

Lyra sat beside Lucy and reached to gently stroke across her back. "Take it easy, we're not doubting you. Let's assume, for the moment, that things just don't function the way you thought they should. Maybe this place is different from wherever you came from." That she may just be dreaming it up was still a strong possibility in Lyra's mind. "We can't argue the facts in front of us. Our world, this world, does not work the way you think it does."

Lucy sat on her haunches and frowned at Lyra a moment before she nodded. "O-OK..."

Cheerilee smiled brightly. "I'd like to teach you about the world, if you want to learn?"

Lyra nodded at Cheerilee, then looked down at Lucy. "You have an incredible talent. It's obvious to everyone that you're a very smart pony, but being smart doesn't mean always being right."

Lucy hung her head a little. "Alright, fine. I'll pay attention in class."

Cheerilee clopped her hooves with joy. "If anything confuses you, or you have questions, you can ask me. See me after class if you're afraid to do it in the middle. I want to help you, Lucy." She turned for the exit. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Author's Note:

When physics betrays you!

I mean water is wet, rule #1! Ponies are very confused at the idea of modern chemistry, though perhaps their world just doesn't work the same way, considering they hang up ice crystals instead of letting it happen 'naturally', and they shake the leaves off trees.

PreviousChapters Next