• Published 22nd May 2015
  • 7,553 Views, 1,562 Comments

It's OK to Be a Pony - David Silver



Lyra Heartstrings, transformation specialist and social worker for those who believe they were not born ponies. These are her therapy sessions, both in group and in private.

  • ...
53
 1,562
 7,553

PreviousChapters Next
12 - Dinner on the Town

Lyra couldn't keep this a secret for long, and she didn't try. With Darrell knowing, it was inevitable word would spread to the others instantly. What she didn't expect was a card inviting her out to dinner with them all, minus Samantha who remained missing.

To the crazy mare who's working her flank off for us,

You are cordially invited to a dinner with your friends and patients. Dinner will be prepared by Thomas, so bring those carnivorous urges you've been hiding deep inside you all your life.

PS: Just kidding, we'll have veggies there too.

Lyra put the card up on her desk and smiled. She decided that Thomas was 'fixed', though she would see him until he decided he didn't want to come. Having a supporting pony in your corner is always nice, and throwing her 'chicks' from the 'nest' wasn't her style. She slipped from her chair and stretched before trotting out to get to the dinner date. Her good mood souring a little as her thoughts went back to Samantha, hoping the pegasus was alright.

She was not expecting all of them to be there wearing clothes, pants specifically, and T-shirts for their fronts. Even little Lucy had joined in the stunt. Lyra couldn't hold back a snort. "What's going on here?"

Lucy flashed a bright smile. "We're celebrating being human, now that we don't have to fight you about it."

Lyra wasn't sure how to take that. "You all look adorable, but you're ponies. I understand your past, sure, but..."

Steven came up on Lyra and nudged her towards a chair. "But even ponies can wear clothes, seeing as we bought these from a pony. So sit down and relax."

Soon they were all seated around the circular table, except Thomas who came ambling up from the kitchen, also dressed, but he also had an apron on. "Alright, what can I get the lot of ya? Our special today is marinated pheasant in a light apple glaze. It's freakin' delicious."

Lucy shook her head. "I've made peace with being a mostly-vegetarian."

The others seemed to agree with this sentiment but Thomas raised a hoof. "Worry you not. We have specific pony portions for the meat, small enough to not upset delicate little bellies, and it comes with a nice big helping of hay fries and greens to round out the meal."

Darrell smiled a little. "I'm actually in the mood for pasta. You have that right?"

Sam agreed with the idea of pasta. Soon it was settled. Lyra and Lucy tried the pheasant, while Sam and Darrell had spaghetti. Shattered and Steven went with a big green dish.

The chat was idle as they waited for the food.

Lucy reported with a proud grin. "They listened to my idea about the scientific method. Even if I don't remember how to prove water vapor is a thing... at least that got through."

Steven tilted his head. "Water vapor? That's easy." He nudged his glass forward. "Behold the magic, as I conjure water from nothing." He put some ice cubes in it, then poured water into the glass, then sat back.

Lyra tilted her head. "I don't get it. You just poured the water in. Anypony can do that."

Steven pointed. "Look at the outside of the glass very closely."

Lyra leaned in. There was moisture on the outside of the glass, though Steven hadn't spilled any. Lucy began clopping her hooves excitedly. "Oh! How did I forget that demonstration? I'm going to show that one off tomorrow, thanks."

Thomas rejoined the group, and sat at the table. "Don't mind me joining, do ya?" No one objected, and the waiters were soon out to set the food in front of everypony. Thomas grabbed his glass with his magic. "Before we stuff our faces, I'd like to have a toast, to humanity, whatever that means, and to Lyra Heartstrings, who has our back."

Lyra blushed as they drank to her, but then she asked the question that had been nagging her. "So... did any of you plan to go to the human world?"

Thomas snorted. "Pass."

Lucy shook her head. "From what Darrell told me, I'd probably end up as a little girl. At least here there's so much to learn, and to teach. I was looking at it all wrong. I've been given a whole new life, and a world to spend it exploring." Lucy suddenly twitched. "That tickles!" Everyone looked at her curiously as she squirmed and looked down at her flank. "Oh wow..." She had found her cutie mark, which looked like a little desk with a big globe on it.

The conversation broke for congratulations and smiles.

Steven held up his camera. "I guess I had it easy. I already knew what I liked to do. Cameras aren't quite as advanced as I prefer, and I'd kill for some photo editing software and a computer to run it on, but there's a certain charm to these old timey cameras, and you have to use your skill as a photographer a lot more. I don't think it's worth running off to a dollhouse universe of almost-humans."

Sam tapped the counter. "I guess that makes me the odd one out. It sounds fine by me, and I want my fingers back."

Shattered Stone shook his head at Sam. "Don't be so hasty. You'll be a homeless bum there. Here, they brought us to Lyra and she helped us, but if it's anything like the human world I knew, they won't do that."

Sam scowled, but didn't argue it.

Thomas waved a hoof around. "I have this place! Why would I give that up? I was just a butcher before, now I'm a chef, and it feels great. Just yesterday some griffons came in and they couldn't believe a pony had made their order so well." He thumped his chest. "That's me, the pony that can please a carnivorous beast with his skills."

Lyra saw that Thomas already had a cutie mark, which looked like a fork in a steak on a plate. It was disturbingly carnivorous in symbolism, but it fit him well.

Shattered Stone looked around. "Why am I one of the last to get my mark? I was pretty happy being a pony from the start."

Lyra put a hoof on his shoulder. "It's not a race. You just havn't found what fulfills you to do yet."

Darrell pointed at Lyra. "But yours is a lyre, and here you are not doing that."

Lyra shrugged. "I imagine you ran into Rarity with these clothes?" They nodded. "Her special talent is finding gems. She turned that around and applied it to adding a special touch to clothing, and she hardly ever uses her talent. Sometimes it works out that way, and it's OK. Me? I like to think my lyre is a symbol for being a tool to bring peace to my fellow ponies, and for being a comfort when they need it most."

Lucy giggled. "That's adorable."

Sam chuckled along. "That's a cute way of looking at it."

Steven slipped from his chair and backed away, "Let's get a picture of everyone together. Say hay fries!" With a bright flash, the dinner was captured for future memories.

Lyra was loathe to admit the pheasant was not bad.

PreviousChapters Next