• Published 9th May 2015
  • 2,500 Views, 128 Comments

A New Dimension, A New Threat - ZeroChill



After Arceus's exodus, a pair of scientist twins and their allies find themselves stranded in an alien dimension as Pokemon. Uniting with the residents of a futuristic Equestria, they shall tackle a new threat.

  • ...
18
 128
 2,500

PreviousChapters Next
Elementary Learning

Einstein stared at the elemental matrix of typing, grinning at the sight of yellow, light green and burgundy spheres lighting up before his eyes. Professor Pasque smiled and craned his neck down towards him.

“Yes! Yes! We did it! We found the Electric, Bug and Fighting-type matrices of the genome!” Einstein shouted.

“You worked really hard to make this happen, did you not?” Professor Pasque asked.

“I couldn’t have done it without you or Twilight, Professor. But, it was mostly me wasn’t it?” Einstein stated with a smug smile an inflated tone of ego.

“I wouldn’t say it was mostly you, but you placed in a lot of work to make this happen. Now we can broaden our technology to extend to these types. It could be interesting to see what sorts of devices we can make with these new types possible.”

Cadance walked through the doors of the lab with a smile on her face. She strutted her way towards Professor Pasque and Einstein.

“I knew I would find you two here. I have a civilian request that requires the aid of you two.” She stated.

“Us? What specific request would require our skillset that others do not?” Einstein asked, scratching the top of his head with his right index finger.

“I’ll tell you along the way. We will be having a bit of an exercise to get there.”


Cadance and Professor Pasque made their way down a wide street. Einstein stood on Professor Pasque’s back.

“So you want the two of us to teach an elementary school class for the day?” Professor Pasque asked.

“That’s exactly what I’m saying, Professor. Because you are a dinosaur with a fountain of knowledge and Einstein is a living molecule, the client said that you two would be a fun way to help bring the world of learning to the children. I wouldn’t blame them either.” Cadance explained.

“Oh goodie! I love being around children!” Einstein declared, closing his eyes with a grin and clapping his arms together.

“So the details of the request say that we can educate the children in any way we desire as long as it fulfills the current curriculum, correct? This will definitely be an enjoyable day.” Professor Pasque announced with a grin on his face. “Much better than what happened a few days ago.”

“I’ve heard about that incident, and I’m sorry that you and your team went through that. I should have seen the signs coming. Just try not to bring it up around Applebloom since she is in the class. She… hasn’t been taking it too well.” Cadance responded.

“You have the honor of my word, Commissioner Cadance.”

“I know you do. Speaking of which, we are here.”

The trio stopped outside of a fenced building that is two stories high. Outside of the building stood a magenta-coated earth pony mare with a pink and lilac-striped mane and tail. Her green eyes and smile brimmed with warm sunshine and a calming aura. She waved at the trio.

“My! You are much taller than I assumed, Professor.” The mare said.

“You must be Miss Cheerilee from the request, correct?” Professor Pasque asked.

“That is my name.” Miss Cheerilee responded, swiveling her head around him. “Ummm… isn’t there another one?”

“Right here!” Einstein shouted, leaping off of Professor Pasque’s head and landing in front of Miss Cheerilee.

Miss Cheerilee hopped back and shrieked. She exhaled deep breaths and regained her composure.

“Please don’t scare me again like that. Still, don’t you look adorable?”

“So when do we get to meet the children? I can’t wait to interact with them!”

“We will get there soon enough. I just need to talk with Commissioner Cadance on some aspects. In the meantime, why don’t you two wait in the hallways?”

Einstein nodded. He grabbed Professor Pasque’s right front foot and tugged at it.

“Let’s go inside!”

Professor Pasque chuckled and smiled.

“Alright, Einstein. I’m coming.”

Miss Cheerilee and Cadance looked onto the two Pokémon stepping and hopping their way into the building. With Professor Pasque and Einstein out of the range of sight, Cadance’s face dropped into a frown.

“Miss Cheerilee, are you sure you want to do this? I think it might be a little bit too soon.” She asked.

“Positive. I am very aware of the entire situation, but I know that the students would absolutely love this. I want to show the opposite of what Big Macintosh believed and having Pokémon as guest instructors would be a great way to prove that.” Miss Cheerilee responded.

“I trust your judgment then.”

Cadance nodded and turned her direction away from the school. Looking back and waving her right front hoof, she walked off of the school grounds.


“Wow, Miss Cheerilee has been gone for a bit. I wonder what happened.” Applebloom said to herself.

She sat between a white-coated unicorn filly with a lavender and pink-striped mane and an orange-coated pegasus filly with a magenta mane and pink eyes.

“I’m sure she’s just fine, Applebloom. She probably has something important to do.” Sweetie Belle responded. “What do you think, Scootaloo?”

“She’s probably going to go get someone. But, at least the class is lively.” Scootaloo responded.

Within the room, many young Equusians chattered amongst each other with noise that rivaled a rock concert. Young changelings, griffons and pegasi flew in circles above the classroom. The door opened and brought all the children in the room to a standstill silence. All of the students sat back in their seats with angelic smiles on their faces.

Miss Cheerilee stepped into the room and stood in front of the class. She clasped her front hooves together and grinned.

“I have two very special guests today, class. Now, how many students in here are familiar with the Pokémon working at H.O.R.S.E.?”

Jetstream Rush, Applebloom and a slew of other hooves rose up from the audience of students.

“Rarity tells me about the Pokémon when she comes over my house. Does that count?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“It does. Anyways, our guests are two scientists who took time out of their busy day to come educate you all. Please give a warm round of cheers to Professor Pasque and Einstein!” Cheerilee announced, pointing her hoof towards the door.

Professor Pasque craned his head below the doorway and stepped into the room. Einstein hopped his way across the floor and faced everyone. Professor Pasque cleared his throat.

“I give my greetings to everyone in the room. Allow me to introduce myself; my name is Professor Pasque.”

“And I’m his partner Einstein!” Einstein added.

“We are both scientists at H.O.R.S.E. and were scientists back in our world. Before we begin our scheduled day, does anyone have any questions? You will have to tell me your name if you want to continue.”

A cream-feathered griffon with a gray head and blue eyes raised his right talon into the air with an enthusiastic smile. Professor Pasque pointed towards him and nodded.

“Cirrostratus here. So you are a talking dinosaur who is going to teach today?” Cirrostratus asked.

“My species is what is known as an Aurorus, but I guess I would be considered a dinosaur as well. And, yes, I will be instructing your class for the day on the orders of Miss Cheerilee’s request.” Professor Pasque answered.

“Jetstream Rush, and what are you supposed to be? Some kind of molecule?” Jetstream Rush asked.

“I guess you can consider me that. Though, I am a part of the species known as a Reuniclus. Pretty much my entire body is controlled through my psychic abilities. My arms themselves also pack a wallop, so no misbehaving on my watch.” Einstein responded.

“If you two are so smart, then what is two fourths times three eights?” Scootaloo asked.

“The raw answer is six thirty twos.” Professor Pasque stated with a smirk on his face.

“The simplified answer is three sixteenths. As a decimal answer, it is point one eight seven five.” Einstein responded. “That wouldn’t happen to be on the homework Miss Cheerilee gave you yesterday, now would it?”

Scootaloo raised her head forward with a pencil in her right hoof and a worksheet with numbers on her desk.

“Uhhh… no?” She stated with a sheepish grin.

“So does anyone else have more questions?” Professor Pasque asked. None of the students raised their hands. “I guess it is time to go on a field trip then.”

“A field trip? Do I have to have my parents sign a permission slip or something?” Cirrostratus asked.

“Nope.” Shaking his head, Professor Pasque responded. “You will find that I am the type of person who is more hands-on with his learning. We will be taking a field trip into the Terraformed Wilderness.”

All of the students in the room grinned with wide eyes and shifted their sights towards each other. Miss Cheerilee glanced towards Professor Pasque with an uneasy curve of her lips, revealing a partial amount of her teeth.

“That may not be the best idea, Professor. The Terraformed Wilderness is incredibly dangerous to navigate through. There are many dangerous creatures and there is always the chance of a Van’Goth attack.” She said.

“While I do applaud your view on safety, I feel that having children explore the environment around them would give them a better understanding on core values that are instructed upon within the education system. It was how I taught my two children, anyways.”

“Very well, Professor. I trust your judgment. I assume that Einstein and your abilities will be able to keep the children protected, right?”

“You have my word, Miss Cheerilee. These students will be safely protected like how an Ursaring mother protects her Teddiursa cub or a Mightyena father protects his Poochyena pups.” Professor Pasque assured.

“Pokémon similes I assume? Not sure what those are, but they sound like creatures that would maul me.” Miss Cheerilee said. All of the students in the classroom erupted with a round of laughter.


Einstein and Miss Cheerilee spearheaded the entire group that walked out into the plains of the Terraformed Wilderness. Professor Pasque stayed behind the group, shifting his head towards the left and right and observing any potential dangers.

Walking towards the edge of a cliff that overlooked a wide plain, Lith and Fluttershy sat upon slabs of rocks observing a horde of gray tiger-like creatures the size of rhinos sprinting below. Fluttershy wrote the results of the observation into a tablet.

“Hey Lith! Hey Fluttershy!” Einstein greeted, waving with closed eyes.

“Oh! Einstein and Professor Pasque!” Lith called out. “I see you brought a bunch of children and a teacher. What is the occasion?”

“My name is Miss Cheerilee, and Einstein and Professor Pasque are in the process of doing a civilian request.” Miss Cheerilee answered. “They wanted to take my class on a field trip into the Terraformed Wilderness.”

“Fair enough.” Lith stated, bumping Fluttershy’s right shoulder with her left elbow. “We got company, Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy turned her head away from the tablet and squeaked at the sight of the class before her.

“I didn’t notice you all! I guess I was too busy with my current duty. My name is Fluttershy and I am a field researcher who works for H.O.R.S.E. I’m currently tracking down the migration path of the Fatalis Tiger.” She introduced.

“My name is Lith, another member of H.O.R.S.E. and one of the Pokémon of the city. I am currently enlisted with protecting Fluttershy while she conducts her field studies of the fatalis tiger.” Lith explained.

A gray-coated pegasus colt with a jet black mane raised his hoof. Lith pointed to him.

“My name is Rumble, and what’s so special about the fatalis tiger that you have to have its migration patterns mapped out?” Rumble asked.

“That’s a good question. You see, fatalis tigers are what is known as a keystone species in this area of the Terraformed Wilderness. That means that they are important to maintaining the ecological structure of the area and their disappearance causes instability among the region.” Fluttershy explained.

“It is interesting that you bring up keystone species, Fluttershy. That is a topic we are covering in the biology portion of our class.” Miss Cheerilee noted.

“What a coincidence.” Fluttershy noted. She then set her gaze towards the rest of the class. “Here is a quiz to see if you pay attention in class; based off of their name and appearance, can anyone tell me what the keystone role of a fatalis tiger is?”

A portly gray earth pony colt with a rough brown main raised his front hoof.

“Truffle Shuffle here, and I want to guess that they are a predator?” Truffle Shuffle responded.

Fluttershy smiled and clopped her front hooves together.

“That is a wonderful answer, Truffle Shuffle. The fatalis tiger is a keystone predator. With their power, intelligence and immunity to neurotoxins, they are the only creatures capable of taking down the giant scorpion. Giant scorpions would have infested this area if it wasn’t for the fatalis tiger.”

The entire class echoed out with sounds of awe. Scootaloo scoffed and flipped her hoof. She focused her attention on Sweetie Belle and Applebloom.

“I say we ditch this class and head out to the Everfree Forest to see if we can’t earn our cutie marks in exploration.” She whispered.

Applebloom frowned and Sweetie Belle scowled.

“Can’t we go somewhere else to do that, Scootaloo? The Everfree Forest isn’t exactly the place we should go to first considering you know who had you know what because of you know how.” Sweetie Belle chastised with an angry whisper.

“What are the chances that we’ll run into that? We’ll just look around the Everfree and bring something valuable back home. Everyone will comment on our bravery and we get our cutie marks.” Scootaloo explained with a sly smile on her face.

“Normally, I would want to do this. But, it feels like it is too soon to go inside there.” Applebloom stuttered out with a hesitant voice.

“But this is our golden chance! We are out here in the Terraformed Wilderness and we can just sneak off with no one noticing us gone. At the end of the field trip, we’ll just unite back with the rest of the class and keep whatever treasures we got hidden until another day.”

“Well… when you put it that way... are you sure we won’t run into you know what in the forest?”

“Positive. The Everfree Forest is big and we shouldn’t be able to run into that.” Scootaloo assured.

“There’s only one problem with your ‘brilliant’ plan, Scootaloo; Professor Pasque is behind us observing everyone. How do we get past his all-seeing eyes?” Sweetie Belle questioned.

“Watch and learn.”

Scootaloo directed her attention towards a pink-coated earth pony filly with a coifed lavender and white-striped mane and a dark gray-coated earth pony filly with glasses and a white and silver-striped mane. She crawled around towards the side of the gray filly and grasped a rock. She tossed it against the pink filly. The pink filly’s eyes jolted open in shock. She looked to her right and a heated scowl appeared on her face.

“Silver Spoon! Did you toss that rock at me?!”

Silver Spoon set her glance down towards the scrape on the pink filly’s ankle. Her spine jumped from its socket.

“I didn’t throw it, Diamond Tiara. I swear!” She shouted.

Diamond Tiara huffed and stared down Silver Spoon.

“That rock was thrown at point blank range! It felt like it and there are no other child around us now is there?”

Silver Spoon gazed towards the rest of the class, who looked at the two with tilted heads and confused glances. Diamond Tiara shoved Silver Spoon onto the ground. Silver Spoon’s mane and coat became stained with dusty dirt. Her glasses were knocked onto the ground.

“I told you I didn’t do it! Why would I throw a rock at you?!”

“I could list several reasons. One, you aren’t as rich as me. Two, you do not have the same style or fabulousness as me. And three, you are jealous that my cat looks more awesome than how your cat will ever be.” Diamond Tiara stated with a smug grin.

Silver Spoon growled and scowled. She pushed herself up from the ground and pushed Diamond Tiara into the ground.

“You take that back you she-hag!”

Einstein, Professor Pasque, Miss Cheerilee, Fluttershy and Lith’s eyes, heads and mouths sprung upwards at the sight of the children forming a circle around Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.

“Fight! Fight! Fight!” The children chanted with bloodthirsty smiles and pumping bodies.

Scootaloo crawled towards Applebloom and Sweetie Belle, who walked away from the action.

“With how those two act, it will take a while for that fight to break up. That should give us more than enough time to go out into the Everfree!” Scootaloo declared with a crafty cackle.

“You’re pretty devious, Scootaloo. I can’t say I approve, but it does the job.” Sweetie Belle complimented.

“Let’s hurry up to see if we can get our cutie marks!” Applebloom announced.

Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo slipped away towards the direction of the wooded forest towards the edge of the land.


The three foals took their first steps into the dark wood. The dark and moist atmosphere brought a chill into their ankles. Sweetie Belle hugged herself and her spine erupted in a shiver.

“Oh, why did I ever let you talk me into going here, Scootaloo? This place is intimidating.”

“It’s not too bad. It’s just a bit dark and fresh on our nerves. It’s a new experience ripe with many possibilities for us. Just trust me on this and walk forward.” Scootaloo said, forcing a smile through her tight lips.

“Let’s just hurry up and do what we need to do. I really don’t want to be in here for too long.” Applebloom let out in a hasty speed.

“We won’t be here for long. It’s just until we find something. This direction looks like a good way to go.” Scootaloo stated, pointing towards the trees bending towards a beaten path.

“That path does look inviting, but what is it inviting us to?” Sweetie Belle asked, rubbing her chin with her right front hoof.

“Don’t think too hard on it because I’m already there!” Scootaloo shouted, running into the path.

“Scootaloo wait!” Applebloom screamed, sprinting after Scootaloo with her heart gripped in anxiety.

“Wait! Don’t leave me alone in these woods!” Sweetie Belle called out, running into the path.


A cave glistening with water running through the stalagmites enraptured the attention of the class. A lake that glowed with the brilliance of a luminescent crystal sat below the bridge. Professor Pasque’s eyes detected Stereo, who hitched himself onto a wall and examined the rock he is on.

“Here is one of the caves that make up the subterranean network of the Terraformed Wilderness. Theoretically speaking, it is possible to access other continents through this network.” Einstein explained.

A cream-colored earth pony filly with purple-framed glasses and a frizzed red mane and tail raised her hoof into the air.

“Is it true that the cave’s formation of water and pressure over time causes it to have some valuable minerals?” She asked.

“That is very true, Twist. But, from what I have researched, the terraforming caused this process to accelerate at a humongous rate. It was unnaturally formed, but nature quickly adapted to it and that is what gives the unusual glow in the cave.”

“Ummm, question.” A gray changeling with aqua blue eyes said. “My mom told me about how caves like these were homes to changelings. Do you think that there are still relics of my people here?”

“Maybe there are, Silk. I’ll grab an expert on the cave system.” Einstein responded, whistling towards Stereo’s direction.

Stereo looked behind him and smiled. Using the rope, he swung his way towards the bridge everyone is on.

“Einstein! Professor Pasque! Are you two giving a field trip to this class?”

“Yes we are. We were talking about relics in the cave. Since you happened to be here exploring the cave network, maybe you can tell us a bit on your findings?” Professor Pasque said.

“Glad to. Anyways, my name is Stereo. I am a Pokémon known as an Exploud and I happen to be a natural when it comes to cave dwelling. In this particular cave, I was actually able to find remnants of combs along the walls. From the unnatural degradation along the edges, these combs were subject to fierce wars over turf.” Stereo explained.

“I never knew you knew about Changeling History, Stereo.” Miss Cheerilee complimented.

“I don’t, but I know about caves and art. One day, I wish to construct a complete replication of a changeling hive that actually functions. Changelings have a very interesting architecture pattern I wish to emulate.”

Jetstream Rush looked within the crowd. An air of concern and worry overcame him, bringing a frown to his face.

“Professor Pasque, I don’t see Applebloom, Sweetie Belle or Scootaloo anywhere.”

Professor Pasque stretched his neck across the class of students and looked down upon them. His heart palpitated with anxiety.

“They aren’t here! Where could they have gone?!” He whispered with a strained voice.

“I don’t know. But, I think that fight was a bit too well-timed. I think that’s when they split from the group.” Jetstream Rush hypothesized.

“Einstein? Miss Cheerilee? It appears that we have lost some children.” Professor Pasque stated.

Miss Cheerilee’s back jolted upwards. She collapsed onto the ground with a faint-eyed expression.

“Ummm… I’ll look after the children, Professor Pasque. You should look for those three foals.” Einstein suggested.

“Can I come with you, Professor?” Jetstream Rush pleaded. “I know I’m still just a colt, but I can’t forgive myself if I let Applebloom get hurt.”

The other children giggled with queasy grins on their faces.

“As long as you promise to listen to everything I say while you are with me and no one else comes along. From how you worded it, Applebloom seems to be very special to you.”

“Ummm… what gives you that idea?” Jetstream Rush asked with a hasty tone and a heart that beat every other interval.

“I was young as well. Do not forget that.” Professor Pasque responded with closed eyes and a smile.


Scootaloo looked through the vines and shrubbery of the Everfree Forest, humming and looking along the ground. She frowned.

“Drat! There isn’t anything over here either.”

“I’m sure something will turn up. We might even be able to find the Castle of the Royal Sisters!” Sweetie Belle stated with glee emanating from her tone.

A smile crept upon Applebloom’s lips, turning her frown around.

“You know? I’m glad you talked me into coming here, Scootaloo. I’m having much more fun than I should!”

A wafting odor of decaying meat and spoiled honey hit the noses of the travelling fillies. Their noses wrinkled and their eyes bled tears. They brought their hooves over their noses and spat onto the ground.

“Gross! What’s that smell?!” Sweetie Belle shouted.

“I don’t know, but I really don’t want to find out.” Applebloom stated.

“Awww, come on? Aren’t you at least a bit curious as to what that smell is? The fouler things in life are merely challenges that mask the fruits of our labors.” Scootaloo answered with a forced smile. Applebloom and Sweetie Belle gazed towards her with the interrogative gaze of an inquisitor. “What? I read that quote from a book.”

“No, you read?” Sweetie Belle asked with hefty amounts of sarcasm dripping from her voice.

“Haha very funny, Sweetie.” Scootaloo responded with her eyebrows curved into an unamused expression. “But seriously, there should be treasure just past these bushes! It could be some never before seen plant, or some ancient and musty piece of treasure.”

She parted the bushes leading towards the scent of the area. Sweetie Belle and Applebloom glanced towards each other with their teeth born in uneasiness.

“I’m not too sure that’s a good idea, Scootaloo. What if there is something guarding the treasure? Than what do we do?” Applebloom asked.

“Then we use one of my super brilliant plans of distraction to take it and flee. It worked when we fooled all the children and adults, didn’t it?” Scootaloo retorted with a proud tone.

“Well, I guess it did…” Sweetie Belle acknowledged, following Scootaloo through the bushes with Applebloom by her side. “I still find it weird how we didn’t come across a single creature yet.”

“They’re all probably scared of the day or something. Maybe we are more frightening to them more than they are to us.” Scootaloo parted open the last of the bushes, breaking a new era of light into everypony’s sight. “Behold the sight of an awesome treasure and the keys to our cutie mark!”

Applebloom and Sweetie Belle popped their heads over the bushes and gazed forward with bated breaths and large grins on their faces. Within the trio’s line of sight was a puddle of golden honey splattered with botches of burgundy.

Their grins dropped into frowns and their hearts sunk into their stomach. Scootaloo gazed towards Sweetie Belle, whose ivory coat turned into a sickly shade of green and was on the verge of gagging. She looked towards Applebloom’s direction, whose eyes let out streams of tears.

“T-that’s Big Mac!”


Professor Pasque and Jetstream Rush sprinted towards the cliff. Fluttershy and Lith sat on the very same rocks by the edge they first sat upon. No further fatalis tigers traveled down the plains below.

“Lith! Fluttershy!” Professor Pasque shouted.

“Oh! Professor Pasque! I thought you were done showing this area to the class.” Lith stated with a jolt of shock in her tone. “What are you doing back?”

Professor Pasque’s eyebrows and mouth formed into a nasty scowl. He grumbled to himself.

“Three fillies split from the group while we were distracted, and we have reason to suspect that they split here. Do you have any possible idea where they could have gone?” He demanded, stomping his right front foot into the ground.

“The entire plains area below was cut off by the migration, and the closest landmark of interest is the…” Fluttershy paused in her words. A gasp of a thousand epiphanies crawled its way up her throat. “Everfree Forest.”

Professor Pasque, Jetstream Rush and Lith all shared a round of horrified gasps and risen eyebrows.

“We waste no time! If you two aren’t busy, then we have lives to save!” Professor Pasque commanded.

“We were on our break, but the situation at hand holds many more dire consequences! We will be happy to help.” Fluttershy stated.

Lith glanced towards Jetstream Rush and smiled. She patted his head.

“Why are you with Professor Pasque, Jetstream Rush?” She asked.

“I got to make sure Applebloom is alright. I wouldn’t like myself if I found out she is hurt.” Jetstream Rush answered.

Lith grinned and a squeal erupted from her mouth.

“I always knew you had feelings for Applebloom.”

“Not now, Lith! And I don’t have a crush on her either!” Jetstream Rush shouted with a reddening blush growing on his cheeks.

“You look even more adorable when you are denying the truth! But, I won’t press it more than I need to.”


Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo sprinted with dialated pupils and rapid increments of air coursing through their lungs. Hordes of cockatrices, timberwolves and bears ran behind them with ravenous drool seeping out of their mouths.

“Some treasure we found, Scootaloo.” Sweetie Belle spat out with a hint of anger spilling out of her voice.

“How was I supposed to know that those two combined smells would attract so many of the Everfree Forest’s creatures? I’m not perfect you know.” Scootaloo retorted.

“Less complaining, more running!” Applebloom shouted.

Her hoof tripped over a brown root. Her heart stopped and time stood still. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo closed onto Applebloom’s position grabbed her front legs. Applebloom’s heart jumpstarted and time flowed as normal. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo sprinted with their friends front legs over their necks.

“We would never abandon you, Applebloom. Make note of that.” Sweetie Belle said.

“We can’t let you take the fall for my stupid mistake. We’ll make it out of this forest together in one piece.” Scootaloo assured.

“Thanks girls. I really appreciate it.” Applebloom sighed out with an exhausted smile on her face.

The three fillies eyed a bolt of fire that shot out from the canopy above, exploding in front of the horde chasing them. They stopped and eyed a shadow drop behind them.

“Are you three hurt?” Lith asked, standing up from her crouched position.

“We’re fine, Lith.” Applebloom said.

“Was that your bolt of fire that struck the creatures?! If so, that is awesome!” Scootaloo responded with an ecstatic tone. “Not as awesome as Rainbow Dash, but still pretty cool.”

“While I would like to talk about how awesome Rainbow Dash is, we have more pressing matters at hand.”

The flames of the Psycho Fire reduced in size after Lith’s words parted. With the flickers of the dying flames came the flashing glows of angry eyes. The claw of a timberwolf poked through the flame and stood on the ground in front.

“Can you do another one of those flame shots again to frighten the creatures?” Sweetie Belle asked with a trembling voice.

“I can, but I have a better idea.” Lith said, turning her head back with a confident grin on her face. “Fluttershy! Professor Pasque!”

Professor Pasque leaped out of the bushes from the right and unleashed a Frost Breath down the path. From the branches above, Fluttershy fired a sphere-shaped pellet that set its direction towards the timberwolf.

The creatures felt the chill of Professor Pasque’s wind and the pellet shattered the extended leg of the timberwolf. The timberwolf yelped and looked at its iced-over shoulder. Another bullet shot out towards the leg of another timberwolf. Lith launched a Psycho Fire from her pawtips and cloaked the crowd in flames.

Professor Pasque’s eyes flashed with a blue light and his neck stretched forwards. The droplets of water in the air dissipated, bringing forth sparkles of ice that expanded into crystals. The crystals collapsed onto the creatures, sealing them within ice. Any liquid upon them dried away.

“That Freeze-Dry should keep them busy! Let’s move out!” Professor Pasque ordered.


Professor Pasque, Einstein and Miss Cheerilee glared at Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo before them with anger resonating from their eyes. The three fillies turned their heads away with their eyes closed in shame.

“Unbelievable! Sneaking out into the Everfree Forest during a field trip?!” Miss Cheerilee shouted.

“It’s my fault, Miss Cheerilee. I was the one that wanted us to get our cutie marks in exploration. I’m sorry if I caused others to worry about us.” Sweetie Belle stated with a crestfallen tone.

“But it isn’t your fault, Sweetie. It was my fault because I wanted to see if the rumors of my older brother were true. Safe to say, it was. So, it’s my fault.” Applebloom stated.

“You two, please don’t!” Scootaloo stated with a raised and cracking voice. “You don’t need to take the fall over my idea of sneaking into the Everfree Forest.”

Miss Cheerilee cocked her head and placed her right front hoof over lower lip.

“Scootaloo, are you taking responsibilities for your own actions?”

Scootaloo let out a low sigh and closed her eyes.

“They didn’t even want to go into the Everfree Forest. I thought it would have been a cool idea to earn our cutie marks by finding treasure there and coming back as brave explorers. Instead, I was just being a poor friend who wasn’t listening to the needs of my other friends. If anyone should be punished, it is me.”

Miss Cheerilee’s eyes softened from Scootaloo’s words. She glanced over towards Professor Pasque and Einstein.

“Well, since you two were the instructors for the day, how do you think they should be disciplined?” She asked.

“If you want my opinion on it, these are still young children that have much to learn about. While I applaud them for their resourcefulness and budding intellect, they have learned a lesson about the consequences of impatience and disobedience.” Professor Pasque responded.

“The whole field trip went without a hitch other than that event. We went further in the cave and even went out in the Froggy Bottom Bog. I don’t see why they shouldn’t be left off the hook.” Einstein said, bringing large grins to the faces of Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.

“I didn’t say that they would be completely off the hook. There is the matter of Scootaloo causing Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon to fight.” Professor Pasque noted. “You need to apologize to them in front of everyone.”

A pained groaned escaped from Scootaloo’s voice and she shook her head with a grimacing frown.

“Can’t I just scrub the board, mop the floors or handle trash duty for the rest of the week? That would be less painful than apologizing to those two.”

Professor Pasque closed the distance between his face and Scootaloo’s body.

“You directly brought pain and strain to those two pulling off your stunt. It is only fair that you amend their friendship with each other.” He stated.

Scootaloo crossed her front hooves and huffed in frustration.

“Fine. I’ll go apologize and do something nice for them.” She said with obvious stutters in her voice.

“As for you, Applebloom and Sweetie Belle, the two of you are free to go.”

“Well… there you three have it. Scootaloo writes a letter of apology, but you three are off the hook.”

“Thanks again for saving us, Professor. I thought we were being discreet about our disappearance.” Applebloom noted.

“Jetstream Rush let me know about your disappearance. Out of everyone there, he seemed to have been the most concerned. Had he not, you would have not lived to see the rest of the day.” Professor Pasque said.

“I guess I have to thank him then.”

“You already did. Showing him that you are alive and in good condition brought a certain level of relief to him. You don’t need to do any more.”

“You know, there is one thing I didn’t understand yet; what the heck is a cutie mark?” Einstein asked.

“It’s the symbol of our talent on our flanks.” Miss Cheerilee stated, pointing to the image of three white flowers on her flank. “They appear when we discover our special talent.”

“Oh. I was wondering what those marks were. I could see why you two would want these so-called cutie marks. Next time, you could always make a request for me, Professor Pasque or any other agent to accompany you on your adventures to look for your cutie marks.”

“Wait, you mean it?!” Sweetie Belle asked with a voice brimming with hope.

“Of course! A duty of H.O.R.S.E. operatives is that we help maintain the norm of living. If going out to look for your cutie mark is an important part of everyday living, then I would love to help you three earn your cutie marks under a supervised eye.” Einstein responded. “Besides, it gives me an excuse to get to know you three better.”

“I’ll take you up on your offer, Einstein. I really don’t feel like having another near-death experience like that again.” Scootaloo said.


Professor Pasque lied underneath the night sky, gazing at the sea of stars above the dome. He looked towards the lone tree, seeing Rundas’s back against the bark.

“Shouldn’t you be sleeping, Rundas?” He asked.

“Couldn’t I ask you the same thing?” Rundas responded.

Professor Pasque stared into the sky once more.

“I am reflecting upon how my day went. Seeing three certain fillies today reminded me about how curious Mono and Lith were in their childhood. It was adorable and brought a feeling of nostalgia to me. So how did your mission given to you by the council go?”

Rundas shook his head and leaped onto the ground below.

“It went off well. Can’t say I feel good about taking a life with my own two claws. But… I would do it if it was for the sake of justice.”

“I cannot fault the nature of the mission for how you feel. You know what you were getting yourself into when you took it.” Professor Pasque stated.

Rundas stretched out his legs and sat by Professor Pasque’s side.

“I know. I’ve grown used to just disarming and capturing my bounties rather than outright killing them. The system of this place is very gray if not black if I have to actually kill to be a bounty hunter.”

“Considering the situation at hand, it really does not surprise me. At times like this, society cannot afford any deviations from the norm. We do not have that luxury to do so. When Big Macintosh died, everyone at H.O.R.S.E. knows the truth about his situation. But, society knows it as just being killed in battle. If the people knew the truth, then their morale would take a down turn for the worst.” Professor Pasque said.

“Yep. I had to make the assassination look like an accident, which I did. I still don’t know why Aloe and Lotus are open about their double lives as assassins.” Rundas responded, shaking his head. “It doesn’t make sense to make it look like an assassin and say that you are the assassin at the same time.”

“There is the reason of being a deterrent. If the Equusians know that there are assassins among them, then they would have to think twice before becoming enemies of Neo Canterlot. They know this as well as the risks associated with it. But, somehow, they’ve managed to win the crowd over. Last time I’ve checked, crime rates were down after those two became assassins.”

“Professor, do you think we will ever see a day where we no longer have to kill? Even if I did some horrible things against others, I cannot stand seeing bloodshed like that.”

Professor Pasque’s head dipped towards the ground. His eyes gazed towards the H.O.R.S.E. main building.

“As long as there is free will, there will always be senseless killing. I know that sounds like the type of people you despise, Rundas, but it is the truth. Free will shall always have its consequences, and things such as war and bloodshed will never disappear because of it.”

“I’m even sorry I asked, Professor.” Rundas said with a depressed tone.

“You do not need to apologize. You are gaining the understanding of higher levels of philosophy when you asked a question like that. The only thing that is important is if you believe the path you chose is the right one.” Professor Pasque said with a smile on his face.

Rundas stood up from the ground and walked towards his right.

“I have much to think about, Professor. Thank you again for the conversation.”

Professor Pasque shut his eyes and smiled. A rush of warmth flowed down his neck and back. Images of Mono, Lith, Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo flashed throughout his mind.

Author's Note:

This is part one of the two chapters of the day. Hope you enjoy, and this fic has now hit the 100k word mark.

PreviousChapters Next