• Published 27th Jan 2015
  • 2,194 Views, 26 Comments

Ponies Come After Death - RealityWarper



Commonly; I don't really mind ponies. They're cute. However, becoming one wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

  • ...
8
 26
 2,194

Meeting 'L'

Twilight was having a good day so far. Twilight was now sitting on her bed. She had spent the whole week with her friends; It was now time for her to have a few days of her own time to relax. More specifically, reading books. She had mostly read out her whole public library, but it wasn't like any other pony was going to actually come here and read any books. The only ones that visited were her friends, or the occasional random traveling pony. Now, without further delay she could without any interruptions read the rest of the books in her library. She had sent Spike off for the day to help Rarity work. It seemed as if the little guy never caught a break... But that was for another time.

For now; She had all the books she wanted at that time.

And of course...

Twilight made a smug looking smile as she ignited her horn with a lavender glow, causing her magical aura to appear around a nearby dusty tome with a lock on it. It was enormous! Bigger than a dictionary! Why a sly smile; Twilight reaches under her bed and grabs a magnificent golden key with two angel wings for the head of the key. She levitates the book over to her, and manually unlocks the book with the key.

It was like a chorus suddenly sounded everywhere at once. The book's inside was glowing fiercely, a vibrant golden light erupted from the old dusty tome. Twilight looked onto the book with awe. With nopony- Or Dragon- to stop her from reading, she would conquer yet another legendary book which was filled with secrets of the forgotten past. There was absolutely nothing that could ruin this moment for Twilight.

"Hey Twilight! What's that you're reading? And why is it glowing like that?"

"SWEET CELESTIA!"

Thunk!

That was the sound of Twilight hitting the floor. She scrambled to her hooves, laying against the back wall whilst hyperventilating with pinprick pupils. Holding the area where her heart would be; Twilight groans in misery as she realized she wouldn't be catching a break today. Or ever, for that matter. Twilight loved Pinkie. She really, really did. But sometimes the mare was simply too much for her to handle. She couldn't keep up with her insanity all the time. Twilight sighed.

"In order; It's a spell tome with a various amount of different elements for practical uses. Though, they were mainly forgotten due to the fact they were combat spells. In these times of peace, nopony needs them. Secondly; It's probably just cosmetics. Some ponies like their books to have special effects when opened. Sometimes though, they'll have magical moving books. Now it's time for my questions. When and how did you get in, and why are you here?"

Grinning sheepishly, Pinkie trotted over and offered a hoof to help Twilight up; Which Twilight gratefully accepted as Pinkie pulled up to her hooves.

"Well, Twilight! I'll answer in order like you did! I got in just a few moments ago! I called up to you from outside, and knocked at the door but I didn't get a answer! The door was unlocked so I let myself in!-"

"You do know that the door is open because it's a public library right? You do know that, right? Because it seems like nopony knows that. Or cares. What about the lock on the door that leads to MY room? I was pretty sure I locked it."

"-And I'm here because-" Did Pinkie just ignore her? "There's a NEW pony in town!"

"Well, I love meeting new ponies and all. But why are you bother- I mean why are you telling me this?" Twilight avoided probably making Pinkie cry; Or just making her sad.

"I haven't met him yet; But I hear he's super smart from some of the other ponies! I don't know much about him, but I heard he moved on the outskirts of Ponyville in that old abandoned mansion the construction workers fixes up! He must be rich too! I mean if he can afford a mansion that big? He has to be rich! I don't know what he looks like, but meeting a new pony is always fun even if they look a little mean! Sometimes the big mean looking ones are the big softies and-"

"Pinkie."

"Right. Um, basically I need you to go over there and see what he likes! Since you're both super smart and-"

Twilight could longer hear the words that Pinkie was saying, her thoughts drowned out the pink hyper mare like a rushing waterfall over the squeak of a mouse. All she knew, was that her peaceful day of happy reading was crumbling before her. Slumping down her haunches she began softly weeping to herself.


"When Death said I'd be taking care of a pony, this isn't exactly what I had in mind." The voice was spoken in a monotone short and to the point manner.

An earth pony with an obsidian spiked mane sat upright at a table. He had piercing black eyes darker than the night, and was donning a grey white coat. His tail went with his mane, matching the spiked style and color scheme. Strangely, he had a baggy white shirt on. To match it he has baggy blue pants. Around his eyes he had black rings indicating his lack of sleep. Yawning, intimidating looking earth pony tapped his hoof on the table with a thoughtful look to his eyes. Said pony then absent-mindedly scratched his chin.

"I knew there was a catch; I just didn't know I had to become a pony to take care of one. These obviously aren't exactly normal ponies. The eyes are simply much too large and cute. It was a trap, and I fell right into it. Well played, Death." A random butler pony whose name he had yet to get walked up and offered him a plate of sweets. He was a Pegasus with a blue flamed slicked back hair style. His coat was a dark black with his eyes being the same color as his tail and mane.

"Truffles, sir?" Ah, now was a good time to get his name. He sounded pretty young.

"Of course. Thank you mister...?"

"Serving Shield." What kind of name was that?

"I am called 'L'. That's not my real name however." 'L' picked up one of the truffles and offered it to the butler. "I'll give you a truffle if you keep that a secret." The butler- No. Serving Shield took the chocolate good with a raised brow.

"Uh, thanks." Serving Shield said hesitantly, throwing the chocolate into his mouth and attempting to look complicated.

"No, thank you. You need not fear me, I mean you no harm. Relax, you're looking awful tense there. No need to be shy." The butler visibly relaxed, no longer looking stiff. He let out a sigh of relief. "That's better. Would you like another truffle? What's got you all tense anyhow?" 'L' popped another truffle into his mouth chewing harshly and turning to stare at Serving Shield once again.

"Uh, sure. Two things 'L' sir. One; You're paying me for this job. And two; I've never seen a pony with your colors before. And that stare you're doing...It's kind of unsettling. And weird."

"Normal ponies would find me scary. I assure you that I'm quite the nice person "

The butler went to say something, but was interrupted by a jingle of a doorbell. Serving Shield turned to him with a pokerface that 'L' swore would put Light Yagami to shame. He simply held up his hoof. 'L' however, knew exactly what the hoof was for.

CLOP

That was the sound heard of the legendary brohoof that would be remembered all throughout history. Without a further word the butler trotted off to go get the door.

"Now then, I should probably find something entertaining to do. Not much mysteries to be solved in the world of magic."

...'L' had to rethink that sentence.

"As soon as whoever is visiting me comes in, I do think it'll be time to depart for some entertainment."

After a few more moments, his butler came back escorting a lavender mare. Ah, he recognized her. After all, he was studying most of all the records that Ponyville had to offer. Any incident that happened was recorded on paper work and he had already read up on it. This was to find out who amoungst the pony populace was a changeling. There was no pony with any particular or abnormal traits. Back to the subject at hoof however.

"Ms.Sparkle. It's a pleasure to meet you in person. Ah, or is that in pony?" Twilight furrowed her brows.

"You're not at all what I thought you'd look like." Twilight said with a confused look on her face. It's a good thing she ignored his very rare slip up. "And how did you know my name?"

"I'm sorry we can't all be tall dark and handsome with rippling muscles."

"What?"

"Nothing at all. The elements of harmony however, are quite famous as well as their bearers. You have quite the reputation. How can I help you?" Twilight blushed at the praise.

"I was interrupted from my reading by a friend of mines to come and inquire your likes and dislikes."

"Very well, take a seat."

"Ask away, purple protegee of the prissy peaceful princess."

"...Did you just call Princess Celestia prissy?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"...You're very strange. And I don't think I've seen you smile once since I've walked in. Or make any face. for that matter."

Twilight knew she was going to have a very long day with the apparent abnormal apthethic alliteration amusing pony.

Horseapples.

Now she was doing it too.

Author's Note:
Comments ( 26 )

I up-voted it, but I can understand why others might down-vote it;

It starts off like a full story but it's a one-shot, so it gives a cheated vibe to the reader when they finish.

5554851 I've marked it as a one shot because I really just wanted to get the idea out. There are two different ones I want to do. Right now I'm just making sure it's out of my head just in case I want to add more.

lots of promise.
are you taking idea's by any chance?
i.e the "Undertaker" (who might actually be death) from The black water Gospel (warning, its dark and violent) takes a vacation in equestria or something.

Great start. I look forward to what else you can do with the concept :-) (Maud Pie VS L, taking all bets).

L is so awesome from dearh note i cant believe they havent done a crossover wth him.

5555817 my bets on L he has better character then maud. Sorry maud lovers

5555050
You should totally do more of this, it seems so rare to see good cross-overs.

i love L he so coote!!!! instant like and follower!

I NEED MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5560807 I second this! More chapters please!

5555050 Hey! Hey!

Yeah it's me! GOP!

I'm here to tell you that I'll sue the fuck out of you if this doesn't have a sequel!

It's just that awesome!

Thanks!(Finally came up with a threat that doesn't deteriorate the writer's chances of writing!)

GET WORKING ON THE SEQUEL PLEASE!

5555050 Yup, definitely needs an update! Or a sequel!

God, I really liked the story, this has a lot of potential!

PS: I can't stop imagining L in a conversation with Discord, and L, obviously, destroying him :rainbowlaugh:

Yes more! This is looking good so far and I want to see how this turns out!

5555050 IT CHANGED FROM COMPLETE TO INCOMPLETE! DOES THIS MEAN THAT IT IS GOING TO BE UPDATED MORE OFTEN!?

5647565 Let us all hope so. This concept is simply to amusing to ignore.

What's with the random present tense?

apparent abnormal apthethic alliteration amusing pony.

apparently abnormal, apathetic, alliterative, amusing pony. :ajbemused:

I want more of this, that is all I have to say :derpytongue2:

There needs to be more of this! You must continue!

I don't really intend on updating this story anytime soon, so I decided to write this mini preview of the next chapter!

'L' sat boredly with his legs tucked against him in his wheeled stool, the seemingly emotionally flat human-turned-pony attempting to ease his boredom by spinning in circles with said stool. This continued for a very long time, as he had absolutely no task to prepare for since he'd finished them. Well, other than talk Twilight- whom of which had been 'dismissed' earlier after she'd inquired about his likes and dislikes, out of pure habit, he only gave that he loved sweets. Of to which, Twilight gave a very strange knowing smile- then promptly dismissed herself, giving a weak excuse to go do things the moment he'd parted that advice onto her.

'L' came to a sudden halt in his spin, raising his fore-hoof to scratch under his chin as a look of thought formed on his face. "I would suppose that she's gone to inform her pink friend of my sweet addiction." This conclusion in mind, the stoic strange pony now resumed quest to amuse himself.

Around L sat multiple solved cases, all in folders stamped "Confidential". Within his first few hours there, and he'd solved every case presented to him.

Several minutes of rotating in place had sufficiently bored him, he finally came to another halt.

"Perhaps it's time for a visit into town after all." The dark pony expressed his internal musing, calmly eyeing the plethora of sweets awaiting him on the his table.

I love the concept but I'm going to have to downvote this because your grammar is such a mess that it kept derailing my attempts to read this.

For example, "I was interrupted from my reading by a friend of mines to come and inquire your likes and dislikes."

  1. I'm having trouble remembering the specific technical term, but "interrupted" is not of the class of words you can use "from" after.
  2. The posessive "mine" does not pluralize. "Mines" refers to mining or the devices you use to make minefields.
  3. If you really did intend it to be plural, it would be "a friend of ours", but that would still be wrong because Twilight didn't first establish anyone other than herself she might be talking about.
  4. "inquire" must be followed by a preposition such as "about" if you want to specify a topic like "your likes and dislikes".
  5. Twilight Sparkle doesn't use that kind of phrasing when she talks.
Login or register to comment