• Published 13th Jan 2015
  • 3,534 Views, 25 Comments

The Day I Became A Millionaire - Ribe_FireRain



You live the dream when you win the lottery, but is it all you hoped for? Especially after you end up in an alternate universe?

  • ...
15
 25
 3,534

Approval of One Apple

''Youngun,'' Granny Smith's voice called to me from the living room on her rocking chair as I entered the farmhouse. She gave me a gentle smile and her old yet bright maple eyes motioned for me to come forward. ''Come 'ere, Ah wanna talk wit'cha.''

Nodding, I obliged and entered the living room, Granny motioning for me to take a seat on the sofa across from her. ''What's up?'' I asked, to which she continued to smile and her eyes gained a much more serious look.

''Ah know we don't git much chance to talk things out like this, with your schedule and whatnot, youngun, but Ah wanted to talk to ya about something. About Applejack and Apple Bloom.'' My heart sank and I thought I could feel it drop into my stomach.

''Y-You erm, you heard about that, did you?'' I asked slowly and she nodded. ''Oh, Granny, I didn't mean any offense or anything! It was just a misunderstanding at first and then-''

''Calm yourself, Matt. It's alright.'' Granny stopped me, cutting me off from my rant. ''AJ already explained everything ta me. Ah jus' wanted to let ya'll know that Ah approve of your feelings towards mah granddaughter and Ah know what she means to you.'' Her smile was warm and I felt my heart freeze along with my nerves in surprise.

She...approved? Even though we were completely different species?

''I...I don't know what to say, Granny.'' I managed, finding myself at a loss for words at what the elderly pony said me to me. Truthfully, I thought that she would have the same thoughts as Applejack. As for Big Mac? I'm not sure if I even want to know. ''I only wish that AJ felt the same. I mean, I know what AB means to her as a sister, but I don't know if I'll ever feel better after she told me 'No.'.'' Granny gave me an understanding and sympathetic look.

''Mmm-hmm. Applejack can be like that sometimes. Gets it from her father. He was a little stubborn to accept change, too, rest his soul.'' Granny wiped her eye. I immediately got the impression that it was a topic the family has a sore-spot for. Come to think of it, neither of the three siblings never brought up one word about their parents. I guess it's understandable.

''Is she alright?'' I asked, wondering.

''Can't rightly say these days. She hasn't said nuthin' to nopony lately. Matter of fact, Ah haven't seen her mahself.'' She admitted, her voice taking on a hint of concern for her eldest granddaughter. ''No need to worry yourself, Matt, she always comes around in the end. Ah'm sure she's fine.''

''I sure hope so.''

The sound of something hitting against something solid caught our attention and caused us to turn out heads towards the window facing the orchard. It sounded again and again, almost rhythmically. Getting up from my seat and peering out of the window to scout out the source of the noise, I saw an orange figure with a blonde mane and tail and cowpony hat standing in front of a tree with wooden baskets beneath it.

Although she was a fair distance away from the farmhouse, my sharp eyes could tell that she had something troubling her. I've seen her working the fields before and she didn't use nearly this amount of strength to harvest the apples. The bark of the tree where she kicked it developed small craters in the shape of her hooves from where she bucked it!

Through the thin glass panes, I could hear her grunt and groan when she released every powerful buck.

''Something tells me that she isn't quite that over it, Granny.'' I said in a deflated tone.

''That's what she does when she's troubled by somethin'. May be best to leave her to get it outta her system.''

''What if she doesn't? I think we need to have a little talk to work things out.'' Granny sighed.

''Are ya sure? Ah mean maybe this ain't the best of times to be provoking her.'' Granny's words made me deflate inside but I knew that if I left her out there to do her thing, she wouldn't ever get the feeling out of her system. Even I knew that the best kind of way to resolve something was to talk it out and come to a conclusion.

It didn't feel right to just leave her be and let her get by it alone, but that went even more so when it was me that caused all of this and because of that, it was my responsibility to resolve it. Turning to Granny, I put on a stern face and said firmly,

''I'm gonna go talk to her.'' And then I made for the front door, ready to go and sort this one out once and for all. (Or perhaps get my arse bucked off of the map.).

Watching the window all the while, Granny Smith sighed heavily through her nostrils and watched as I approached Applejack in the orchards, a gentle and hopeful smile on her lips.

''You can do this, Matt.''