• Published 13th Jan 2015
  • 3,529 Views, 25 Comments

The Day I Became A Millionaire - Ribe_FireRain



You live the dream when you win the lottery, but is it all you hoped for? Especially after you end up in an alternate universe?

  • ...
15
 25
 3,529

Finding A Way

The rain had picked up its pace as the day turned into night, the sky now a hue of soft indigo while the sun was nearly out of sight, lowering behind the mountains on the other side of town.
My thoughts were the only things occupying my mind and keeping me distracted as I recollected all of the things Applejack had said to me about her sister.

My heart was pained with what had been said to me and my eyes still leaked tears, so here I am, slumped against the trunk of a tree with my only cover of rain being the thick leaves that hung from the branches of said tree.

How Applejack told me that Apple Bloom was 'too young' for any of this stuff and that she denied any sort of relationship such as a romantic one between us.
I wondered if her family agreed to it. Probably. I guess it didn't matter, anyway. Her family would maybe agree with her either way.
Ever since I met her, I have grown more to like her, even think she was cute. I know she saved my life and patched me up and I returned the deed, but for some reason, I still felt like I owed it.
It may sound crazy seeing as we are now even, but I can't help but feel I owe her more than I should. I just couldn't explain it, wheather it was to do with how I felt towards her, I have no clue.

I stared at the sky,trying to find something else to focus my mind on. The stars were already out, faint but there, twinkling like small fireworks in the night sky.
It made me smile softly. I couldn't remember the last time I saw something as nice.

The air was light and brushed at my hair softly and was cold but pleasent against my skin. I could of been warmer than I was, but I had left my jacket at the farm. I didn't even care. This was nice.

I couldn't help but think it would be nicer if I could share this moment with Apple Bloom. Or my family.

At the thought, I could feel a tear run down my cheek.I knew I would never see my parents or family again, let alone Apple Bloom. AB was someone (or rather somepony) that I liked and loved and was the first thing that I saw in this world that I soon came to realize I cared about after all she has done for me.
As for my family, I may not of been all that close to them, but they were still family! Loving and caring people, beings that I loved no matter what or whatever our differences must be. I'd give anything to see them again.
I just wish there was some way of returning home. Any way. I didn't care how or what the cost, I just needed to see them, tell them that I didn't die in that crash, tell them that I was all in one piece and alive.

My thoughts were halted however when I heard something in the bushes about a few yards to my left. With caution and curiosity, I turned my head to look in the direction of the sound of rustling leaves.
I watched for ages, waiting to see what it may be, and, after a few more moments, I saw a red mane poke out from the bushes, covered in small pockets of sap and a few small twigs sticking to it, followed by glistening orange eyes that I could only describe and recognize as Apple Bloom's.
When the rest of the figure came out, I saw that it was indeed Apple Bloom. Her expression was that of a relieved one and she had a weak smile on her lips, but she looked like she had been crying, despite the rain that had drenched her coat.

She came over to me and I returned the smile, getting up and hugging her, getting the full feel of just how wet she was. From just that simple embrace, my upper chest was wet. I wondered what she was doing out here, although I guess the answer was obvious.
I held her there in my arms, not wanting to let go. I could tell she didn't either. I stroked the back of her mane with my hand as I slowly worked it up and down, the touch of her manewet and cold but still soothing.

''Oh, Matt...Ah found you.'' She whispered, pulling me slightly closer so that her cheek was pressed against mine as she tightened her grip around my neck and back.

''Apple Bloom.'' I said softly, also keeping my grip on her. I was greatful for her company, glad that she was here. I haven't enjoyed being this close to someone I had feelings for for a long time, and I liked it.
Very gently, she released herself from me and looked me in the eyes, seeing my tears past the rain, as were I. ''Hey, are you okay? Why are you crying?''

She sniffled before a tear fell from her cheek. ''Applejack doesn't want ya to be with me, Matt, that's what's wrong. She thinks t-t-that Ah'm too young f-for love...''

It soon hit me that Applejack had been talking to her about the conversation we had just hours ago. Just from her miserable look, I could tell she didn't take it well.
I just placed my arms back around her and pulled her into a hug, now only wanting to comfort her. I knew what she felt and it probably hurt as much as my heart when I saw her like this.

I could only hold her, hugging her. I sat with her underneath the tree, my cheek pressed against hers and her mane hanging just over the bridge of my nose, close enough for me to get a hint of her usual scent - milk and honey.
Times like this made me wonder what the future would be like.

''Hey, Apple Bloom? AJ talked to me, too.'' At that, she broke away from my arms again, looking me in the eyes with a wonderous expression.

''W-What did she say?'' She asked slowly as she wiped her eyes with a hoof before sniffling. I looked down before I slumped slightly, taking a couple moments before I looked back into her eyes.

''S-She heard everything, Apple Bloom. About us.''

Apple Bloom slumped. ''She told me about that, Matt. Ah just got so mad at her for it. Ah ran away.''

''Is that why you're here? You ran away?'' Her only response was a 'Mmmm-hmmm' before she briefly hugged me. It suddenly dawned on me that we were having the same problem. AB's family doesn't think we should be together and resulted in our heartache.
Not for my sake but for Apple Bloom's, I have to try and make things right between us again. I didn't like seeing her upset and I didn't want to rush things either, no matter how much I may of loved her. I think it would just be best if we stayed friends.
Apple Bloom seemed to take hint of my mood and she was watching me again, those eyes of her burning like a calm fire in the moonlight.

''Matt?''

''Hmm?''

''What's on your mind? Ya seem ditracted. Everything alright?''

I looked away again, knowing that I had to be truthful about this. I didn't want to lie to her, but what would she think? I knew I was going to have to talk to her about it sooner rather than later, but I didn't think either of us were ready for it.

''Y-yeah,'' I replied a little shakily. ''all is fine.'' I had to lie. I didn't have to like it, but it was all I could think of to do. Apple Bloom was silent for a while, inspecting me as if I was hiding something. Those eyes of her never left me once, they just scanned me up and down. I knew what she was going to say, much to my surprise and disappointment.

''You're not being truthful, are ya? You jus' don't wanna talk about it, do ya?'' She finally said, her voice quiet and seeming a little hurt at the small lie.

''No, I don't. As much as you know I don't want to have to lie to you about it, I'm gonna need to sometimes. I'm just not ready to talk about it.'' I said pretty bluntly, feeling sadness enter my voice and mood, making me feel like crying. Apple Bloom seemed to take notice.

''Is this about ya family?''

''Y-yes. Yes, it is about my family. Can we please not go into this? I...I...'' And then I felt the tears come, running down my face within seconds as my eyes began to burn softly. All my emotions were realeased as the thoughts of my family back at home entered my mind. I bet they were just so worried and heartbroken over what had happened the day I crashed my car. They thought I was dead, gone. But I wasn't. I was alive and someplace else where I didn't even know existed and because of that, I didn't know how to get home to tell them that I was alright, that I was still alive and breathing, but I couldn't because I was stuck here!
For how long, I don't know, but from my guess or anyone's for that matter, it is probably for good! The only thing I felt other than the tears was Apple Bloom's hooves being wrapped around my neck as she pulled me into a hug, holding me close as I cried uncontrolably.
It helped to calm me down a little, just knowing she was there. At least somebody still cared. ''I'm sorry, Apple Bloom...''

She raised a brow slightly, a curious expression upon her face. ''Sorry? For what? You ain't got nothin' to be ashamed or sorry about, Matt.'' I sniffled as I looked up into her eyes.

''I-I'm sorry you have to s-see me like t-this.'' I whimpered. ''Everything has just happened so fast...I-I don't know w-w-what to do now that I'm gone from home! I d-don't know i-if I can go on without my family!''
From Apple Bloom's shocked and saddened expression, I could tell that it just hit her what I was feeling like. Here, she had family that she loved dearly and knew that they cared about her, but as for mine, because to them I was presumed dead, the feeling was undescribeable.

Apple Bloom couldn't imagine what it was like to have no family, and that look alone that she was giving me said it all. She had an idea what it felt like and she didn't want to think about it.

I may of loved my family like they loved me and with all that has happened, the feeling that they feel other than love is heartbreak. I haven't had my share of heartbreak for a long time, and feeling it now, it made me feel like that part of my life was missing - having and experiencing the joys of having a family. I just wanted to go home...

''Oh, Matt,'' Apple Bloom said as I saw a small tear run down her cheek. ''Ah'm sorry. Ah had no idea...''

''I just wish that there was some way I could see them again. I just want to be with them.'' I sniffled. ''But I know it won't ever happen.''

''Now, ya'll don't know that, Matt. There has be some way to get you home to your parents.'' Apple Bloom tried to reassure me, but it didn't have a positive effect on my mood. Something just told me that there wasn't a way. Even if there was, would it work? Would it be risky?
Maybe I'll find out some day. I leaned into Apple Bloom again, her mane brushing lightly against my ear. I looked at the sap in her mane and with my hands, I tried to pull the sticky substance out, pulling the twigs along with it. I managed to remove most of it without pulling most of her hair out, but at least it was now sap-free and back to the way I liked it. We both just sat there for a long time, holding each other in each other's arms. Over the horizon, the sun had begun to appear and the moon had gone, a faint orange colouring the sky, setting a calm and beautiful scene.

We watched it rise for a while, enjoying each other's company. I walked over with her to a nearby pond, asking her to stay still while I scooped up water with my hand and cleaned her sappy mane. Nothing was said between us for a while and Apple Bloom just let me clean her hair in silence, the only sound being the sound of the water that I was using. When I had finished, Apple Bloom turned to me with a smile and hugged me softly before thanking me. I also saw that blush upon her cheeks again. I smiled softly at the sight.

I offered her my hand to help her up, and when I got her back on her hooves, I walked with her, on course back to the farm. I had some thinking to do.

*** *** ***

When we arrived back at the farm, I separated from Apple Bloom so I could go over to my car and get a few things out of the glove box. When I got there, I noticed the car had barely moved since the night of the storm, only suffering small damage from random bits and pieces that managed to get near enough to scratch the paintwork of the car.

I sat in the passenger seat and opened up the glove box, looking at the contents inside. First was my wallet, that felt slightly heavier than the last time I used it, my phone and then my shades that I bought not so long ago. They were aviators with silver rims and almost jet-black glass.
I took them and placed them in my pockets, apart from the sunglasses that I placed on the collar of my shirt.

With all that I needed, I proceeded towards the farmhouse. After the talk I had with Applejack, I felt pretty uncomfortable being back on the farm. When I got to the porch and to the front door, I froze up, finding myself unable to continue. I raised my hand a few times to knock, but lowered it due to ringing nerves, making me feel nervous about it. When I was about to knock, I heard a voice I recognized as Applejack's shouting from behind me.

''Matt! Hey, Matt!'' I turned, seeing Applejack running up from the orchard. At first, I thought she was going to tackle me and punch me or do something along the lines of that, but instead she stopped in front of me and took off her hat, placing it aside and looked into my eyes with a soft emotion. ''Matt, I need to talk to you.''

''About what? We already talked about something and I heard you loud and clear.'' I said not as politely as I would of liked, but the hurt from before took over. I didn't know what she wanted to talk about, but I'm guessing something relating to me and Apple Bloom.

''Matt, please! Ah just wanted to apologize for that. Ah shouldn't of accused you of anything, so if Ah insulted ya, Ah'm sorry! Can't ya forgive me? Please? Ah promise I meant no offense! Ah-'' I raised my hand to calmly ask her to stop, and when she did, I spoke up.

''Applejack. I do forgive you, although not one hundred percent. You didn't only hurt me, but you hurt your sister, too. Apple Bloom came running after me in the rain and she told me that you two had been talking.'' At that, Applejack's face held a guilty expression and her eyes dropped downwards. ''I can only put this behind us when Apple Bloom forgives you, too. Until then, I guess I can't.''

Applejack sighed. ''Matt...Ah...Yes, alright, you got a deal.'' I smiled.

*** *** ***

In the farmhouse, I sat upstairs with Apple Bloom on her bed, holding her hooves gently in my hands. We had been like this for a short while, just staring into each other's eyes. Applejack had talked to Apple Bloom and she had forgiven her. I wanted to use this moment we had together to express my feelings.

As I tried to think of where to begin, Apple Bloom leaned forward and hugged me as she rested her chin on my shoulder. I could feel her snuggling into my cheek. Strangely, I felt a little uncomfortable. I hope she didn't notice. Before I pulled away, I kissed her on the cheek and she looked into my eyes again.

I felt awkward, not knowing what to say. I knew it was going to be hard, but what else could I do to say it? I loved her, but if it wasn't going to be alright with her family, even after an apology was given, I couldn't. It just didn't seem or feel right. I knew that when someone knows you love them dearly and you say you just want to be friends, it will just end up in tears and heartache. I think we have both had enough of it.

As awkward as I felt, I got to my feet and walked out the door. I didn't even think before I walked out of the door of the house. I walked towards the orchard and sat in the driver's seat of my car and tried to think. All of a sudden, life seemed to be harder than I would of liked. I haven't been on a different planet before and now that I am, things were slowly going downhill.

I never asked for any of this and ever since I met Apple Bloom, things went the opposite way to which I would of preferred. I did like her, love her even, but I didn't want to jeopardize our friendship with anything. I didn't plan on wronging her or anything like that. I just couldn't.
Out of frustration, I slammed my fist into the dashboard, creating a small dent and then an even bigger indentation the second time.

I'm gonna have to find a way to tell her how I feel, preferably without hurting her in any way.

There has to be something I could do, but what?