• Published 24th Nov 2014
  • 1,351 Views, 24 Comments

The Empire - Mediocre Morsov



Sequel to "The Republic". After peace negotiations fail, Celestia begins to transform her half of Equestria into a loyal empire, with Twilight Sparkle as her unexpected herald.

  • ...
4
 24
 1,351

Chapter 8

Luna watched with practiced disinterest as soldiers - Republican Guard and Appleoosa's militia, together - cleared the streets of bodies. She ignored as they stripped the Royal Guard of weapons and equipment, and even turned a blind eye when the soldiers began looting personal items from the dead. One of the ponies stood out, however, and she approached him.

"You served admirably yesterday evening, Braeburn." Luna said with a smile.

"Thank ya, Premier." Braeburn nodded, a hollowness to his voice as he took in the dead around him. A black bandana was wrapped around his neck. "Applejack's distractin' Apple Bloom with somethin', so she doesn't see any a'... this."

"Yes, this would be a truly devestating sight for one so young." Luna confessed. It was slowly dawning on her just how costly her little revolution was becoming. Granted, most of the Royal Guard had fled once their command cadre was crushed, but there were still hundreds dead, and many hundreds more of prisoners. Those were problems for another day; the Royal Guard had been thoroughly crushed and this was a momentous victory for the Lunar Republic.

Luna's eyes returned to the stallion before her. Braeburn had always been a capable leader, if what she had gathered from the Appleoosians was anything to go by. He had certainly proved it last night, leading his fellows into combat against the Royal Guard. It had even been his idea to torch the motor pool before the Guard had time to mount their strange war machines; Luna could only imagine what kind of advantage they'd have had if those vehicles had been employed.

"Braeburn," she began cautiously, "We could use a pony like you in the Republican Guard."

"Ah'm just a simple farm pony, Ma'am." the cowpony responded without making eye contact, "Ah'd rather just go back ta tendin' the orchard."

"I think we both know there's no going back from today." Luna said softly.

"Ah know..." Braeburn's reply was just as soft. They'd killed one of Celestia's generals, not to mention a good number of her soldiers. It was unlikely that the Princess would simply leave Appleoosa alone, now.

"We really could use a pony like you, Braeburn." the Premier said, "You have a way with leading troops."

"Ah do what Ah have to." Braeburn said. It should have been stoic, inspirational even, but the pain lighting the farmpony's eyes was enough to make even the premier avert her gaze.

"I know I'm asking a lot from you, Braeburn." Luna sighed, "but I need to ask a little bit more."

A moment of silence, and then more to himself than aloud, "Ah do what Ah have to."

"So I can trust that you'll serve in the Republican Guard?" the former princess tried to lighten the mood with a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

Braeburn didn't answer right away. He looked around, every face of the dead looking at him. He felt the weight of such loss on his shoulders. The Royal Guard, stripped of their armor and weapons, faces taught as they strained not to scream out in their last, painful moments. Republican Guard with the almost peaceful smiles that come when people feel they've martyred themselves for something greater. The militia... Their glassy eyes stared up from sunken sockets, locked to him, demanding why he let them - his townsponies - die in this fight. Why did he agree to fight at all?

He tried to swallow, but his mouth was dry. He found his voice, hoarse as it was.

"Yes Ma'am."

Luna wasn't sure if she should be pleased at the resolve in his eyes, or disheartened by the soul-crushing regret that bled into them.

*-*

"Are we not going to talk about this?" Twilight frowned at the assembled fillies and dragon. Rarity stood beside her, though she clearly wanted to be anywhere else.

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle sat on either side of Spike, forelegs folded across their chests and turned from the dragon, scowling. The dragon simply stared at the ground, dead-eyed. It had been like this for several days, with Spike nearly catatonic and Sweetie Belle hostile towards Rarity. Scootaloo never seemed to show up, anymore, and it was a struck of luck that Twilight had found her.

"What's there to talk about?" Scootaloo pouted, "Spike's interested in fancy mares. He doesn't want a loser like me!"

"Scootaloo..." Twilight sighed, but Sweetie Belle spoke over her.

"Not that she ever appreciates him." she spat. It was very obvious who "she" was, and Rarity flinched back. She looked about ready to cry, and for a second, Sweetie Belle looked like she regretted her words, but just as quickly, she turned away.

"Alright, that's enough out of all of you!" Twilight snapped, which startled all three of the youths out of their sulking, "Sweetie Belle, it's not your sister's fault that Spike had a crush on her, so stop trying to make her feel bad about it!" The unicorn filly's cheeks flushed with shame. "Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle is your friend, and it's not her fault who she falls in love with, anymore than it's yours. Don't let a colt - er, drake - get between your friendship!" Scootaloo chewed on the inside of her lip and eyed the flooring.

Twilight looked at her number one assistant who had been spending his free time staring at the ceiling from his back. "Spike," she said softly, "Rarity is much older than you, and I'm sorry to say she doesn't feel the same way. But she does care about you, and wants to see you happy. Besides, you have two fillies around your age who are both interested in you."

Spike looked between Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, then furrowed his brow.

"But I still have feelings for Rarity, and besides..." he spared another glance at either filly, "I could only choose one." the dragon stated his new dilemma. Twilight tsked at the fact. Polygomy was frowned upon in Equestria, and she was sure Rarity and both the fillies' parents wouldn't be too pleased with such an arrangement.

"You have plenty of time to get to know each other." Twilight said, "Who knows? They might even realize they don't like you as much as they thought!" the princess blinked as she processed those words. "Wow, that really came out wrong."

Her doorbell ringing got her attention and she silently thanked Celestia for the distraction. Her brief smile was wiped from her face by the dissheveled and wounded soldiers surrounding her library.

"What happened?" the alicorn gasped.

"The filthy rebels were lying in wait." one of the soldiers - a corporal, judging by his rank pins - spat in disgust.

"This is all that's left?" Twilight's eyes widened, "There had to have been at least a thousand of you guys just a few days ago! Now there's only, what, a few dozen?"

"We went out with a full regiment of Royal Guard." the corporal - startlingly the highest ranking soldier present, - explained, "Nearly three thousand infantry, with five tanks for support. The rebels torched the motor pool and the Premier herself struck at our officer corps from above.

"It was a route, plain and simple. Our leaders were killed or captured, our heavy support was up in smoke, and to top it all off, we were confused and blind." the corporal's left eye twitched at the memory, "The rebels wore black masks and came out of the shadows! We were shooting at ghosts! They weren't ponies at all, but devils!"

"Calm yourself, Corporal." Twilight snapped the soldier out of his nightmare, "How many were killed?"

"Can't say for sure." the corporal regained composure, "Our forces were broken. The sergeants overseeing our units tried to order us into firing lines, but we were getting slaughtered. Last I saw, most of the platoons scattered into different directions. What you see before you are the remains of three platoons."

Twilight blinked in surprise. She wasn't schooled in military science - such matters were virtually nonexistent after Celestia established a lasting peace a millenium ago - but she was familiar enough to know that three platoons should be more than two or three dozen.

"Please, come in, Corporal..." she realized she had never been introduced to the corporal, or any of the soldiers. She didn't even know the name of the general who she had given the banner to.

"Corporal Shetland." the soldier bowed before the princess, quickly followed by his surviving comrades, "You don't need to trouble yourself on our behalves, Ma'am. We're only here because... We don't know where else to go. A lot of the troops are too injured to make it back to Canterlot, and you're the only authority for miles."

"So what is that you need, Corporal Shetland?" Twilight asked, hesitantly.

"We need somepony to lead us." Shetland choked back a sob. Hard-faced as he was - as all of them were - it was clear they were at a breaking point. "We need hope. We need... I don't know! We need to have faith in something! The army's been routed, Equestria's falling apart, the Princesses are at war, and we're losing! We need something to believe in!"

The alicorn looked over each of the soldiers, in their varying states of health. Most had dirty bandages wrapped around limbs or heads, and more than a few were pale and taut of face, supported only by their allies. Yet, there was a resolve in them, a core of hard steel holding them together, even now. All they needed was something to believe in. Twilight smiled, disarmingly, and Shetland and the troops felt their woes melt away.

"Believe in Princess Celestia, soldier." she said, "For Celestia is a goddess in the flesh. Never forget that she has a plan for each and every one of us who stays loyal to her."

"Sounds like something out of that book you gave General Blazing Glory." Shetland smiled, crookedly and weak, but a smile all the same. "He read a few passages from it."

"How did you like it?" Twilight asked.

Shetland looked a little uncomfortable, shifting his hooves, "It's not talked about often, you understand... You're not the first to think of Celestia as a deity. It's a military tradition, though practiced in secret, to revere her as a goddess; she doesn't like the idea of us worshipping her. Yet, how can you serve somepony so empowered, immortal and graceful, and not come to view her as divine? Nopony's ever been so open about the concept before, though."

"Maybe it's time that changes." the princess smiled softly.

"She speaks like a prophet." a voice came from the crowd of soldiers, though nopony could place it. A murmur grew in the throng of soldiers, and another voice was heard saying, "She smiles like a saint."

Soon the murmur become a chant.

"Saint Twilight!" the words formed up, almost naturally, as if they had always been, "Saint Twilight, the Prophet!"

The chanting grew into a cheer, and then to a roar. Townsponies had begun to gather around the library, intrigued in the cheering throng of soldiers. Spike, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle watched the spectacle from inside the house, Rarity tutting all the while about how she would fix the soldiers' uniforms and get them cleaned up.

"What's a saint?" Spike asked.

"What's a prophet?" Sweetie Belle replied.

"I have no idea, but their chanting is starting to freak me out." Scootaloo shuddered.

"There's nothing to worry about, dears." Rarity giggled, "Those soldiers are here to protect us. They're on our side."

"Aren't they the same soldiers that killed all those protestors just a few weeks ago?" Spike challenged.

"You'll understand when you're older, Spike." Rarity sighed, "Sometimes one must be firm with the ones they care about."

"If you say so..." Sweetie frowned as she continued to watch the chanting soldiers. Townsponies were beginning to join in, and the youths doubted they knew what a saint or prophet was, either.

All the while, Twilight's smile broadened. She had found her flock.

*-*

Diamond Tiara had certainly seen better days. Snips wasn't the smartest pony in Ponyville, and even he could see that. What else could he do but let her inside and cry on his couch. After several minutes like this, Diamond Tiara finally calmed down enough to talk to him.

"It's awful, Snips!" Diamond managed through sobs, "Just awful!"

"Did, uh... Did your dad take away your credit card again?" the colt asked, trying to figure out what could possibly have upset the filly this much. The question only led to a new wave of shrieking sobs that Snips reeled back from. "I'm sorry! What happened?"

"Daddy was caught selling weapons to both sides." Diamond sniffed, "Now Celestia has him in prison!"

"Well, it could be worse." Snips shrugged.

"My family's reputation is ruined!" Diamond wailed, "The government seized our family assets and forced us into the streets! What's worse, nopony will take us in! Ponies loyal to Celestia see us as traitors, and ponies loyal to Luna see us as war profiteers!"

"Aren't you?" Snips quirked an eyebrow. The pink filly glared coldly in reply. "Yeesh, sorry. Still, you had to have seen this coming."

"I really didn't." Diamond sniffed, wiping the last few tears from her eyes, "I honestly thought my dad had worked through all the angles. He usually has some sort of exit strategy set up whenever he tries something like this."

"He's done stuff like this before?" the colt wasn't sure why that was surprising.

"Corporate takeovers, and such." Diamond sighed, "I guess he wasn't ready for the big leagues, yet."

Snips rolled his eyes. "Not that it isn't great to see you here, but... Why did you come to me?" he asked, "Why not Silver Spoon, or Ms. Cheerilee, or even Princess Twilight? Mom always says you should go to a trusted adult-"

"My father just got arrested for treason!" Diamond snapped, "That's not something I can go to an adult about, you-" she calmed herself, breathing deeply, "I came to you because I trust you. Plus, Silv wasn't home. Her mom said something about a date?"

"That lucky little..." Snips muttered, knowing exactly who Silver Spoon was on a date with, "I'm happy that you trust me. I just wish there was something I could do."

"Sitting here and talking with me is more than enough." Diamond placed a hoof over Snips'. He merely stared at it, mind trying to process the intent. "You're a good friend, Snips."

"Thanks." he giggled, before coughing to cover it.

They talked for the rest of the evening.

*-*

Rainbow Dash wasn't sure what was going on. All of the officer recruits had been brought together into the assembly hall. There weren't many. Equestria, while vast, had a small military - maybe a few hundred thousand scattered in garrison fortresses. The need for officers for such a small force, so Rainbow had learned, was minimal. Active officers were in the hundreds - thousands if you counted warrant officers and non-commissioned officers. the recruits numbered less than a hundred. Rainbow heard there were less than a thousand at any one time for enlisted recruits.

The pegasus grimaced. She had to memorize so much information, she was sure her brain would turn to mush. She'd taken to sleeping while standing up, even while marching, and her dreams were filled with rank pins and proper ways to address superiors.

"Attention!" her NCO, Maverick bellowed. The recruits snapped to attention, the action practically unconcious from weeks of drilling. She'd actually taken a shine to the stallion; he was affectionate to his recruits, in a way, but it was a tough love. Rainbow frowned at the look in his eyes and the set of his jaw. "General Blazing Glory has fallen in combat with his officer cadre in combat against the rebels."

Military discipline almost collapsed in the face of such news. Mouths went slack in horror. One recruit fainted, and several more couldn't hold back tears. Rainbow was shocked, but stood her ground. She didn't blame her peers for falling to their emotions.

"With him, Gen. Blazing Glory took 3,000 ponies with him into battle, and a large retinue of NCOs and field officers. Many of them are dead or missing, though a small unit has been confirmed as holding up in Ponyville." Maverick explained, still composed, "Empress Celestia has ordered that this power vacuum be filled. Most of you are only halfway through your training, but you all show great promise. Conditions have forced many of us to be raised above our stations, and each of you are also being forced into positions of command."

The NCO produced a list and cleared his throat. "I shall now list those of you who have earned the rank of Sergeant, First Class, or equivalent in your respective branches."

Rainbow strained to listen as the names were read aloud. She quickly realized that everypony in the class was being elevated to active duty. The thought sent her reeling. What kind of blow had been struck to the Royal Guard that they would need to fill so many holes? She could only imagine how the enlisted ranks were being equally forced in early. Finally, Maverick stopped, and Rainbow blinked. Her name hadn't been called.

"Now I shall list those of you have proven themselves in all areas and shall be elevated to Lieutenant, Second Class, or equivalent in your respective branches." the NCO began again, and this time Rainbow did hear her name. It was a great honor, since there were only ten of them that made the list. Yet it sat sourly, with her, that ten officers were needed so suddenly.

"Let us pray it'll be enough." Maverick sighed, before regaining composure, "Dismissed!"

As the others cleared the area, Rainbow approached Maverick. Only then did she notice the new rank pins in his collar.

"You're a Captain, now?" she asked, almost a whisper.

"Dark days, Lieutenant." Maverick said, just as quietly, "I've been in for nearly twenty years. I quit being elevated years ago. All at once, hundreds of good ponies gone, and now I'm forced from the enlisted ranks to assume the mantle of officer. It's a burden I never wanted."

"I admit, I never thought I'd get this far." Rainbow said, dryly, "I didn't think I was doing too hot."

"We're not allowed to pick favorites here, Dash, but to be frank," the Captain cracked a grim smile, "you're the best out of this lot. Probably the best to come out of here in awhile."

"Thank you, Sir." Rainbow saluted.

"None of that." Maverick chided, "We're both officers now. You address me by rank."

"Yes... Captain." Rainbow rolled the word over in her mouth. She had never called him "sir" before, since he was a NCO, he was to be addressed by his rank. Now that he was an officer, instinct demanded she call him "sir", but now she was an officer, too. Weird day.

"Lt. Dash, I know you had your heart set on going on to the Royal Air Guard and pursuing your career there, but I have a favor to ask." Maverick said.

"Ask it, S- Captain." the pegasus nodded.

"I've been put under the command of Col. Stonewall in bolstering the remnant forces in Ponyville." the Captain explained, "I figured since you lived there for awhile, you'd be of great use to us there."

"You want me to come with you to Ponyville?" Rainbow blinked. It seemed like ages ago since she had been home. It was bittersweet, thinking of that town, and the word "home". "I'd be honored, Captain!"

"Excellent." Maverick handed her a box. At first glance, Rainbow thought it was an engagement ring box and she shot the commander a look of such surprise that he almost blushed. "Open it."

She did. Inside were her Lieutenant, Second Class rank pins. Her eyes widened even more.

"You'll be my adjutant in Ponyville. Keep showing the same spirit you showed in training, and you may even outrank me one day." Maverick said, "Dismissed."

Even though she had been dismissed, Rainbow stood there eyeing her new rank pins with no small part pride or awe long after the others had left the assembly hall.

*-*

"Weather's nice." Big Macintosh commented over the dinner table after a painfully long time of silence.

"What was that, now?" Granny Smith asked, half-deaf.

Big Mac sighed. The two remaining seats at the dining table were empty, and had been empty for too long. Apple Bloom had fled the city back when the whole mess had begun, and Applejack was hiding out with her in Appleoosa. Big Mac was a strong stallion, and he could take much abuse, but working the farm single-handedly while a war was being waged and his younger sisters missing... That was almost too much to bear.

He stared at his dinner while contemplating current events. When Apple Bloom had first brought up the idea of a Republic, Big Mac hadn't really cared one way or the other. Celestia was a good leader, and even if she had done horrible things centuries ago, well, that was centuries ago. He could understand why ponies would want more say in the government, but he just couldn't understand why everypony was getting riled up to the point of killing each other. He grimaced at the thought of bloodshed. It just wasn't heard of in Equestria.

He secretly hoped the Lunar Republic would fall quickly, just to put an end to the war.

A knocking at the door distracted him from this dark reverie. Getting up to answer it, he was surprised to see Fluttershy, staring bashfully at him from behind her bangs.

"Oh, hello, Big Mac." she said, sweetly, "Or do you prefer Big Macintosh? We don't really talk often. Sorry about that."

"Big Mac's fine." the stallion said slowly. They really didn't talk that often, even though they were in a singing group together. "Lookin' fer Applejack?"

"Yes, actually, though it's nice to see you, too, of course." Fluttershy smiled gently, "Is she home?"

"Nope." Big Mac frowned, "She an' Apple Bloom are in Appleoosa with the rest a' the Republic."

"I take it Pinkie Pie's with her, too, huh?" Fluttershy sighed, wistfully.

"She's still in Canterlot." Big Mac corrected.

"She got arrested, too?" the pegasus gasped, "Discord forgot to mention that..."

"Discord?" Big Mac raised an eyebrow, "That who yer stayin' with?"

"I was." Fluttershy stated, "He's going to join Celestia to end the war. I told him I still stand by the Republic. That's why I came here as soon as I could."

"Well, yer about the only republican pony left in Ponyville." Big Mac shrugged, "Twilight's housin' Royal Guards an' preaching somethin' about Celestia being a goddess. She's even got Cheerilee teachin' it in class, though she doesn't agree with it."

"Then why's she teach it, if you don't mind my asking?"

"It's hard enough to resist a request from a princess ya live near." the stallion explained, "Even harder when she has several dozen veterans of the Royal guard at hand."

"I really wish I had somepony to talk to." Fluttershy sighed, "Applejack's in Appleoosa and Pinkie Pie's in Canterlot. Twilight, Rarity and Rainbow Dash are all supporters of Celestia, so I can't talk to them, even though I really want to."

"Plus Rainbow's in Canterlot, too." Big Mac said.

"What did she get arrested for?" Fluttershy gasped.

"Nothing like that." Big Mac snorted, "Celestia wants her ta be an officer in the Royal Guard, so she took the job."

"Oh. Good for her." the pegasus smiled, "I hope this ends soon, without anymore loss of life."

"Funny." Big Mac said, watching the stars, "Ah was thinkin' the same thing not seconds before ya showed up."

"Is it alright if I stay here?" Big Mac looked down at the pegasus in surprise, and she recoiled slightly in embarrassment, "Discord teleported my animals into Everfree Forest to live near Zecora, but hasn't teleported them back, yet. Without Applejack or Pinkie Pie to talk to, and being on rough terms with Rarity and Twilight, well..." she trailed off before adding, quietly and pitifully, "I don't want to be alone."

"Ah don't have a problem with it." the stallion stepped aside and invited Fluttershy in. "This house seems too empty with both mah sisters gone. Too many empty rooms."

A particularly old family photo, almost hidden, caught his eye.

"Too many empty rooms..." he repeated, softly.

"I really appreciate it, Big Mac." Fluttershy said, snapping him out of his growing sorrow. She was pretty good at doing that. There were few ponies in his life who could do that anymore, his sisters and his good friend Cheerilee among them.

"No problem." the stallion smiled. He realized that was his first genuine smile in awhile. "Come inta the dinin' room. We're in the middle a' supper."

"Oh, well I don't want to intrude." the pegasus said, bashfully.

"Nonsense." Big Mac snorted, "Granny Smith made too much food, again. We've got plenty ta share."

"Well, if it's alright with you, then." Fluttershy smiled, "I am a bit famished."

*-*

Things were going as well as one could hope. The Royal Guard, although having taken significant losses during the raid on Appleoosa, was on the verge of bouncing back. The majority of Filthy Rich's factories were still in Imperial hands, and investigations were being launched to oust any of Filthy's treacherous conspirators. Speeding up the training of recruits was something of a hassle, but the Royal Guard needed fresh boots instantly, and many of them.

Luna was growing an army, it seemed, far outpacing her traitor Republican Guard. Princess Celestia aimed to match and exceed her, even if it meant instigating a draft, though she doubted that would be necessary. Tales of romantic adventure, free housing, wearing uniforms, being a hero and getting paid for it all would be more than enough to trick most ponies into signing their lives away. There hadn't been a war for centuries in Equestria, the only fighting being reserved to the occasional border dispute or request for aid from allies. Nopony knew the horrors of war, which made them ripe pickings for recruitment.

When did I become so callous? Celestia mused to herself. She should be feeling shame, or at the very least some regret, but she found only excitement in her veins. After countless years of tireless diplomacy and bureaucracy, something was finally happening. Something that demanded her attentions. Sure, there were the occasional apocalyptic scenarios that required the Elements of Harmony, but none of that required Celestia's direct attention.

A civil war, though...

Her thoughts were disrupted by the sudden appearance of one draconequess she was all too familiar with.

"What is it, now, Discord?" she sighed, not looking up from the maps before her. Sure, she had generals to do this work for her, but it had been ages since she plotted a campaign.

"I've come to declare loyalty to you in this war, your Highness." Discord said, solemnly and with a bow.

Celestia immediately snapped her head up, failing to hide the shock in her features.

"Could you run that by me again, please?" she asked with surprising civility, resting her chin upon her steepled hooves. She was, not so subtly, enjoying the irony of the situation.

"This war needs to end, Celestia." Discord explained, flatly, "Frankly, I'm seriously disturbed that between the three of us, I'm the voice of reason."

"I confess my sister is being unreasonable." Celestia ignored the slight, "Why would you want to fight for me?"

"Because I want things to go back to the way they were." the chaos lord explained.

"You?" Celestia smirked, "I figured you'd be elated by the tension and disorder my sister's raising."

"You're playing your part in this mess, too, Tia." Discord snapped, then quickly returned to his morose attitude. "I'm being sincere. I love chaos, but not this kind of chaos. I want... silly things, disorder in a fun way. What you two are orchestrating will only lead in wholesale slaughter.

"I got used to the way things were. Harmony and all of that. I had friends, friends who stuck with me even after I hurt them." Discord sighed at the memories and Celestia felt remorse for the first time in weeks, "I just want this to end, to go back to those days, when everything was so happy."

"I don't think we can ever go back to those days." Celestia said, quietly.

"Surely we can try?"

"With your powers, we could certainly turn the tide against those rebels." Celestia nodded, "We might even be able to do it bloodlessly."

"That's what I hope for, Princess." Discord smiled for the first time since Fluttershy had left.

"I'm afraid that is no longer my title." Celestia said, coolly.

"It's not?"

"Haven't you heard what they're saying in the streets, Discord?" Celestia laughed, "Equestrians who have remained loyal to me have taken to calling this the Solar Empire, with me as the Empress." then, much softer, "Some have even taken to worshipping me as a goddess."

"Certainly you don't believe that hype." Discord's eyes widened in shock.

"Why not?" Celestia arched an eyebrow, "You are a god of chaos, and we have been immortal enemies. Alicorns are the closest things to dieties in this world, and I more so than any other. Is it not likely that I am a goddess of order and harmony where you are a god of anarchy?"

"Celestia, I'm supposed to be the crazy one, here." Discord warned.

"Don't speak to your empress in such a manner." Celestia retorted, "You swore loyalty to me, and I expect you to stick to it."

"What will become of Luna and her followers?" Discord asked, changing the subject.

Celestia actually relaxed and seemed to revert to her old self. "They'll be taught the error of their ways and released. Hopefully this show of mercy will persuade them that I am not a bloodthirsty tyrant."

"And if they continue to resist after their release?"

"They cry out against an imaginary tyranny." the Empress sniffed, "I'll drown them in the blood they spill."

"Dark." the draconequess said, "Even your own sister?"

Celestia looked hesitant, her face slowly hardening with resolve.

"I sent Lulu away for a millenium, so she could cool her head. Only after being defeated by the Elements of Harmony did she see reason." she mused, "If she continues to defy reason, to defy me... I have no choice. For the sake of harmony - and I pray it never comes to this - I must destroy this rebellion, and anypony who refuses to embrace my light."

"So even goddesses can pray." Discord muttered, disgust evident in his voice. Celestia chose to ignore it. The lord of chaos bowed once more. "I'll do whatever I can to end this madness and restore things to the way they were. I am yours to command,"

A pause.

"...Empress." he finished, wincing at the unfamiliar title.

A slow smile crept across Celestia's face, without warmth.

"My will be done." she whispered.

Author's Note:

Why did I start writing pony fics? Something's wrong with me when I try to unload my socio-political/religious-philosophical baggage into a kid's show about friendship. Then I go and throw in some stupid romances for no earthly reason. Jumped the shark awhile back.

Anyway, this ends the second story. The next, and hopefully final installment will be called "The War" and will detail the civil war as it actually picks up. Expect a time skip and hopefully some resolutions to this mess of a plot. Also, each story is eight chapters long, so expect the third story to be - you guessed it - eight chapters long.

For those that didn't like this story, please leave a comment describing why you didn't like it. It really bugs me to see four dislikes and not a single explanation.

Comments ( 4 )

Luna republic or Solar Empire they both have done horrible things but maybe it's time for a change Celestia herself admitted she has grown complacent. Luna didn't need to take it so far but maybe she had no choice Celestia has grown used to doing things a certain way and there country has stagnated democracy isn't a perfect system but when done properly it will force new ideas into the government whether they like it or not. I also don't find it surprising that twilight is now leading a cult (she maybe smart but her loyalty to celestia blinds her).

Can't wait for the next one! ^-^

Aw... just when it got good... :pinkiesad2: I look forward to "The War" if/when you get around to it.

One huge suggestion I'd like to give is; have Rarity switch to Luna's side. All the stress she's being put under plus her time as Nightmare Rarity are excellent reasons for her to switch.

Little error in this story.

Few chapters ago, it was stated that Pinkie was with Applejack in the train car heading towards Appleloosa. Last chapter has her in Canterlot? How?

Login or register to comment