• Published 24th Nov 2014
  • 1,351 Views, 24 Comments

The Empire - Mediocre Morsov



Sequel to "The Republic". After peace negotiations fail, Celestia begins to transform her half of Equestria into a loyal empire, with Twilight Sparkle as her unexpected herald.

  • ...
4
 24
 1,351

Chapter 4

The two youths, one a pegasus filly and the other a baby drake, had been heading west for several hours. They wished that trains were still running to Appleoosa from Ponyville, but it seemed that so long as the Appleoosians supported the Lunar Republic, there would be no train rides west. Fortunately for both of them, they had Scootaloo's scooter and wings to make up the distance.

"Are you sure you don't need to take a break?" the dragon asked.

"I'm sure." Scootaloo panted, sweat pouring down her face, "This is nothing!"

As if to prove her wrong her wings suddenly seized in a painful cramp. The two youths spun out of control and flew from the scooter, landing in a nearby bush. Spike picked himself out of the shrubbery and stretched his back, while Scootaloo writhed in the foliage.

"Ow! Ow, ow, ow, ow, OW!" the pegasus groaned, rolling around in the dirt.

"I'd ask if you're alright, Scoots, but it's kinda obvious you're not." Spike said, "Wing cramps?"

"Yeah." Scootaloo stretched her back and grimaced at the discomfort.

"Here, lay down." Spike sighed, positioning himself to Scootaloo's side.

"What are you do-" the filly began to protest but stopped in a squeak as Spike ran his clawed hands through her wings and back. "Wow, that feels amazing!"

"Twilight gets wing cramps from time to time, and I've been helping her with backaches for as long as I remember." Spike explained, "You'd be surprised how bad you can mess up your back by bending over a desk, reading all day."

After a few minutes, Scootaloo gave her wings a little whirl and smiled at the lack of pain. Spike suggested they walk for awhile instead of ride the scooter, to let her wings rest, and she wasn't about to argue. By the time the sun was at its zenith, they saw a train pass by on the way to Ponyville.

"I didn't think they had trains running between Ponyville and Appleoosa." Spike said.

"You think Sweetie Belle or Apple Bloom was on that one?" Scootaloo asked.

"I don't know." Spike frowned, "Maybe."

"Maybe we should head back." Scootaloo suggested, "Even with my scooter, it'll probably take days to reach Appleoosa."

"Worried your parents will find out you left?" Spike asked.

"Yeah..." Scootaloo gave a dry laugh, "...My parents."

"Twi will be pretty mad, too." Spike groaned, "But we're already a quarter of the way there."

"At this rate, we won't get there 'til late tomorrow." the pegasus groaned.

"Did you have other plans, Scoots?" Spike laughed, "Besides, the train'll probably be back by the time we get there; we can ride back to Ponyville on it."

"I guess it won't be too bad." Scootaloo agreed, "Still, I can imagine how mad Twilight'll be."

"Yeah, but I'll deal with that when we get there." it was Spike's turn to groan, "I just hope the letter I left is enough explanation."

Scootaloo didn't have a lot of experience with how parents reacted to their children suddenly disappearing, but she got the distint impression that it would take much more than a letter to calm Twilight down. Then again, what did she know about parenting?

Hours passed for the youths as they alternated between walking and scootering across Equestria's landscape. The plains turned to desert with time and Spike began to wonder exactly how long it would take to get from Ponyville to Appleoosa by foot. Finally it was dark and the two of them set up camp for the night. Luna's night sky was beautiful, to be sure, with its stars twinkling in the inky heavens.

"Spike?" Scootaloo's voice came out of the darkness near the drake.

"Yeah, Scoots?"

"This is probably the most fun I've ever had." the filly said, "Out here on an adventure, trying to save our friends. Is this what it's like for you when you hang out with Twilight and the girls?"

"Usually it's a lot scarier." Spike confessed, "Well, and the fate of the world rests in the balance."

"Yeesh." Scootaloo laughed nervously. She watched the stars for awhile, content with the silence aorund them. Silence wasn't quite right; the night was alive with crickets and the chirping of frogs. Yet, even with all the background noise, it was peaceful. "I'm really glad you came along, Spike."

"Me too." the drake agreed, yawning, "I'd hate it if something bad happened to you out here, all by yourself. Your parents would be worried sick."

"Right." Scootaloo laughed weakly, "Parents."

But Spike had already fallen asleep.

*-*

"Dear Twilight,
"Went to Appleoosa with Scootaloo to find Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. Packed supplies for a couple of days since I wasn't sure how long it would take to get there. Hope you don't mind.
"Love,
"Spike."

Twilight crumpled the note with her magic and watched as it caught fire, burning to cinders. She ground her teeth in frustration. How in Equestria did Spike become so reckless?! Running all over the country without her permission and leaving only notes behind? Where had he picked up those traits?! Furrowing her brow, she realized those were exactly the kinds of things she did, running off on adventures with her friends and only leaving notes behind for Spike to find.

She sighed at the thought of her friends. Rainbow Dash was still in Canterlot, and now both Pinkie Pie and Applejack were in jail. Fluttershy had disappeared, which was probably for the best, considering the riots. The only friend left in town was Rarity, who was currently in her dining room crying into a cup of tea. Twilight felt awful about the disappearance of her friend's sister; at least Spike had left a note.

"I suppose it could be worse." Rarity sighed, sipping her tea, "At least I'm fairly certain she's safe with Apple Bloom and Luna. Oh, our mother is so worried."

"I'm sure they're alright." Twilight offered another tissue to her friend, "If it makes you feel any better, Spike and Scootaloo have gone to look for her in Appleoosa."

"Oh, Spikey-wikey!" Rarity's tears changed from grief to joy, "I'll have to give him a kiss if he can bring my Sweetie Belle back."

"I'm sure he'll enjoy that." Twilight chuckled, "Still, I don't like them going to Appleoosa. That's Lunar Republic territory."

"I'm sure they'll be fine." Rarity waved a hoof, dismissively, "It's not like Luna's guards killed anypony."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Twilight glared at the unicorn.

"Oh, nothing!" Rarity laughed lightly, "My point is that there hasn't been any violence west of Ponyville, or really, anywhere outside of Ponyville. I think they're safer in Appleoosa than here, honestly."

"I still don't like it." the princess said, walking towards her window. Ponies had begun to walk around town again, but their smiles were forced, "Everypony got so wrapped up with the Crusaders' book reading that they were ready to abandon Princess Celestia altogether."

"If you're so worried about it, why don't you write something to counter that silly "Republic" piece." Rarity suggested, "You adore books, after all, and I'm sure everypony would love to hear from their princess. Oh! You could put on your own book readings!"

"I could talk about Princess Celestia's divinity." Twilight mused, "And ponies would listen."

"Celestia's divinity?" Rarity almost coughed on her tea, "Whatever are you going on about?"

"She's lived for, what? Thousands of years?" Twilight asked, "And ruled over ponykind, guiding it, protecting it. Every disaster we've come to face, Celestia's had us prepared for it."

"Oh, Rainbow Dash's "backup plan" fantasy." the unicorn sighed.

"Not a fantasy," Twilight said, startling Rarity with her surety, "fact. Celestia is omniscient. She's seen all possible outcomes, planned for every possible future so Equestria comes out harmonious and peaceful."

"If that were true, why do bad things happen all the time?" Rarity asked, "Dear, you're sounding even crazier than I've been feeling these past few days."

"She's testing us." Twilight said, "Testing our faith. Only the faithful will get to live in her utopia; all the non-believers and detracters will have given in and surrendered to the hardships. Only those who persevere will enjoy Celestia's greatest paradise!"

As Rarity listened, she first felt Twilight was losing her mind, becoming unhinged, and yet as her friend continued, Rarity felt a lightness in her chest. Hope for a better world, if she could only endure this one. Maybe not a better world for her, but for her descendants and ponies after her, or after them. If they could only endure. She was so moved that her hoof shaked as she lowered her teacup to the table.

"You simply must write your ideas down." Rarity said in a hushed tone, "Write them down and read them to everypony! It's so inspiring!"

"You agree with me that Celestia's a goddess?!" Twilight beamed at her friend.

"Oh heavens, no." Rarity laughed, "I'm not sure what Celestia is, but I do believe that she's trying her best to make a beautiful world for us to live in, and maybe she is testing us with hardships, to make us a stronger, more faithful populace."

"You really think I should share my ideas with everypony?" the alicorn asked. She had been writing her thoughts down, of course, but wasn't sure she was ready to share them yet.

"Absolutely, my dear." Rarity beamed, "Oh! I'll even make you a flag, like the Crusaders had when they read the "Republic"!"

"A flag? Is that necessary?" Twilight raised an eyebrow.

"No, I suppose it's not." the unicorn confessed, "But it certainly adds a little something, doesn't it?"

"I guess." Twilight shrugged.

"I'll worry about the decorations, dear," Rarity said, "you worry about getting those words out of your head and onto paper."

"Alright." the princess said, "What should I call it?"

"Something simple, yet powerful; a name that'll stick in ponies' minds." Rarity explained.

"Like the Book?" Twilight asked.

"That's silly. It doesn't have to be a single word." the unicorn sighed, "How about the Book of Light?"

"The Sun Book?"

"I've got it!" Rarity smiled, "Le Livre du Soleil."

"Ooo!" Twilight shared in her friend's enthusiasm, "Fancy! Just like they speak in Canterlot!"

"I don't like to brag, but I am quite fluent in it." Rarity eyed her hoof with a proud smirk.

"Comme moi, mon bon ami!" the princess giggled, "Maintenant, nous avons un langage secret de parler!"

"Nopony likes a showoff, Twilight." Rarity scowled. She might have exaggerated her fluency a tad. She smiled suddenly. "Well, I better get started on that flag while the creative juices are flowing!"

"And I'll get to work on 'Le Livre du Soleil'!" Twilight said.

They said their farewells and got to work on their separate crafts. Neither of them noticed the train heading eastward through Ponyville as the sun was setting.

*-*

"Production is coming along nicely, Your Majesty." Filthy Rich bowed before his Princess, "In no time at all, your Royal Guard will be outfitted with the latest in military hardware. I'm talking ceramic inserted kevlar armor, back-mounted projectile weaponry, and dozens of armored vehicles."

"It all seems a little... much." Celestia noted, "My sister surely doesn't intend to escalate this any further than it already has been. What happened in Ponyville is a mistake, and I don't wish to see it taken any further."

"Of course, of course." Mr. Rich smiled, "Yet it never hurts to be on the safe side. The Elements of Harmony are divided, leaving all of Equestria exposed to external dangers. Who says this upgrade is for pacifying your sister's upstart regime? It could be used to protect Equestria from foreign threats as well as domestic. What if the Changelings attack again?"

"Again with the Changelings." Celestia sighed, "They attacked the Crystal Kingdom once, and everypony assumes they're going to invade en masse."

"Equestria is weakened." Mr. Rich noted, "It would be an oppurtune time for them to strike."

"You certainly seem well-educated in the matters of politics and military doctrine, Mr. Rich." Celestia said, suspiciously, "For a businesspony."

"My family, long before we came into wealth in Ponyville, had been known for... contracting." Mr. Rich explained vaguely, "A lot of designs and bits traded hooves and my family's ended up with quite the library on old schematics and... forgotten histories."

"I'd be careful who you share that information with, Mr. Rich." Celestia warned, coldly.

"Don't worry, Your Majesty," Mr. Rich smiled at her hooves, just as coldly, "Nopony but my kin has, or ever will, know the secrets we carry."

Celestia felt a chill at the statement and wondered exactly how much Filthy Rich's ilk knew about Equestria's forgotten history and lost technology. It was a scary thought, honestly. Filthy Rich could prove to be a most fortuitous ally.

Or an unwanted obstacle.

"How did you handle the Royal Guard on their return?" Mr. Rich asked.

"They acted accordingly to their orders and training." Celestia frowned, "I could not fault them for doing their job."

"Fascinating that after so many years of peace and prosperity, you still train your Guard for war and killing." there was a note of amusement in Mr. Rich's tone.

"Can you blame me?" the princess asked, "With how many threats have popped up over these last few years?"

"That I can't." Filthy confessed.

"You'll keep me up to date on production?" Celestia asked. She already had a few dozen of her Royal Guard equipped with the new armor and weapons, but it never hurt to be kept up to date.

"Of course, Your Majesty." Filthy gave a smile that didn't reach his lips, "You have my word of honor."

Before Celestia could inquire exactly how far that honor extended, a Royal Guard appeared from a connecting hallway. The gold-armored stallion saluted and didn't wait for permission to rattle off the information he had been sent to deliver.

"Your Highness," the guard said at once, "A train has been spotted outside of Canterlot. It's just sitting there."

"This is news how, exactly?" Celestia raised an eyebrow, icily.

"It came from out west." the guard explained, "Further west than Ponyville, we suspect."

"Appleoosa." the princess gasped, "I doubt my sister has the audacity to charge in here, even if it is night."

"Perhaps she's come to apologize?" Filthy suggested, though his tone made it obvious he was joking.

"Unlikely." Celestia muttered, "Keep an eye on it, but it's no reason to put everypony in a panic over."

"Yes, Your Highness." the guard saluted again before departing.

'What are you up to, Lulu?' the princess thought as she looked at the moon through a nearby window.

*-*

It was a risky move, leaving the train behind in the open like that, but they couldn't very well ride the train through Canterlot. Honestly, they should have left the train in Ponyville and galloped the rest of the way. Still, they would have been spotted miles before reaching the city that way; this way they were close enough to the city to sneak in on hoof.

Braeburn couldn't remember who had suggested they wear black bandanas around their muzzles, but he was glad they had taken the advice. They didn't help disguise the ponies much, but they certainly added some flare. Striking in the cover of darkness and wearing veils across their faces on top of this. Certainly went with the night motif of their regime.

The city's walls were surprisingly easy to bypass. Even with Royal Guard everywhere, Canterlot certainly wasn't prepared for anypony sneaking in. Braeburn briefly wondered what Canterlot would be like after their raid's success. Would it ever be the same again? Surely security would be increased, and everyday life would become harder. He pushed the thoughts from his head and continued deeper into the city.

He was surprised with how well he and the other raiders were at sneaky around. Nopony had seen them enter, and nopony wandered the streets at night. Strange, to Braeburn; he had heard that in the cities, nopony ever slept. Aside from a few homeless and unsavory characters who minded their own business, the streets were empty.

Finally they reached the castle. It was large and imposing, in the darkness of night. Not as beautiful or grand as it was in the daylight, but a fortress of masonry and steel. Golden armor reflected scant street- and starlight as Royal Guard patrolled the high walls and watchtowers.

"Well, we've made it this far." one of the raiders whispered near Braeburn, "How do we get in?"

"Scale the walls, Ah reckon." the cowpony replied, "Can't be much different than climbin' apple trees."

"Yer jokin', right Brae?" another raider laughed, though it sounded forced, "Climb walls guarded by the Royal Guard? Ya'll heard what happened in Ponyville."

"It's that or head home with our tails between our legs." another raider grunted, "Let's get climbin'."

Spread out along the wall, covered by nightfall, the ponies set to climbing. Slowly and surely, they worked their way up the wall, hooves finding purchase in the seams between bricks and the slight wear and tear on their surfaces. It was difficult going, but the raiders were pioneers, rugged and hardworking individuals whose daily life was toil. Even the buffalo were surprisingly agile scaling the walls. Within minutes, the first pony reached the top of the wall...

...And came face to face with one of the Royal Guard. They exchanged wide-eyed stares. The raider felt a moment of panic rise in her chest and tighten her throat. The Royal Guard's eyes hardened and he opened his mouth to alert his allies. Without thinking, the raider shoved her hoof into the guard's throat, then pulled him roughly over the edge. Choking and wheezing, the guard tumbled over the edge, screaming silently as he spun towards the ground far below.

Braeburn passed her and helped her onto the wall.

"Brae, Ah'm sorry!" she whispered, "Ah didn't know what to do!"

Braeburn stared at the broken form lying at the foot of the wall, practically invisible except for the gold armor and white coat. The white coat wasn't flawless, any longer. Braeburn licked his lips, anxiously. This certainly hadn't been part of the plan.

"It's alright." he said at last, "It was unavoidable. Nothin' we can do about it now. Let's keep movin'."

Stealthily, they stormed the castle. On fleet hooves they avoided Royal Guard and penetrated the depths of the castle. As they got deeper, they broke into smaller and smaller groups until they were practically on their own. Braeburn managed to find the dungeons first. Startlingly, there were only two guards watching the cells, and both looked to be the least trained of the entire Guard. They were a little overweight, their armor was dulled and marred, and they seemed more interested in their card game than guarding the prisoners.

It wasn't hard to sneak past the distracted guards, but then Braeburn saw her. He recognized her, of course - one of his cousin's friends that had helped smooth over relations with the buffalo awhile back. Cyan coat and rainbow-maned. If he wasn't still reeling from the dead guard outside, he might have spared a thought towards her tomboyish beauty, but he was all business at the moment. She was engaged in some sort of glaring contest with Applejack, the cell bars between them. Further down, in another cell, was a flat-maned, pink pony that he hardly recognized.

"Who's there?!" Rainbow Dash turned and jumped back in surprise at the sight of Braeburn sneaking along the dungeon. "Hey, you're AJ's cousin!"

"What the-?" Braeburn tsked, "How'd ya'll hear me?"

"She's got pretty good ears when she chooses to listen." Applejack grunted, "Why are you wearin' a hoofkerchief 'round your face like that?"

"It's a bandana!" Braeburn corrected, "Move outta the way, Rainbow Dash. Ah'm here ta bust mah cuz out."

"Like hay, you are!" Rainbow growled, pouncing at the startled raider.

Applejack watched with some amusement as her cousin and erstwhile friend duelled. She had wrestled Braeburn when they were foals, and he had been a tough opponent then, but Rainbow Dash had always been athletic and ready for action. They dodged each other's kicks and jabs, throwing in their own counters, cursing all the while. It almost looked like dancing, since neither were landing any blows.

Then the other raiders showed up. Applejack had wondered why the guards, lazy as they were, hadn't intervened sooner. Now she had her answer as the two were shoved, bound and gagged, into an empty cell. The raiders, all in black bandanas, tore Rainbow Dash away from Braeburn and managed to force her into a cell, which she flitted and kicked about in, denting the bars.

"Yeesh, she's a fiesty one." one of the raiders chuckled, "Looks like we found the mare fer ya, Brae."

"Shut up, an' get Pinkie Pie an' mah cuz out." Braeburn brushed the dust off his vest, "Ah don't wanna stay in here any longer than we gotta."

"Workin' on it." another raider opened Pinkie's cell and headed towards Applejack's.

Hoofsteps caught the raiders' attentions and they turned towards the stairs that they had entered from. What stood there startled them. Two ponies, wearing sleek, yellow-and-orange armor that wasn't quite metal, yet certainly looked durable. The helmets were more bowl-like, and had gleaming, golden visors. Yet, what truly surprised the raiders was the contraption on each of their backs: two hollow metal tubes resting on their shoulders, with some kind of drum on their backs. The contraptions gave off clicking noises as the two ponies braced their stances.

"In the name of Princess Celestia," the first guard said, "cease and desist!"

The raiders set their own stances. There were twenty-something of them, and only two of these guards. How hard could it be?

The room erupted in thunder.

Author's Note:

I wish people who disliked my fics would leave a review telling me why they disliked it. Oh well.