• Published 21st Nov 2014
  • 559 Views, 12 Comments

Friendship Is Monotone - Shukawarioserfi



For Monotone, it seems that his life in Equestria lacks character and meaning. What happens when you spend 17 years of your life waiting for people to reach out to you?

  • ...
9
 12
 559

Friendship Is Vomit

I fell asleep about a couple hours into the party. Too much cake. Needless to say, I had fun. I met Prairie Grass who seemed nice, and I danced a little. I haven't really been to a party ever. But being at one made me feel like it was okay to be myself.

I felt good waking up this morning, to have my own house. It's full of pets that I have to look after but I'm used to the work. And it's a blessing to not have anypony breathing down my neck for me to get things done. It was much easier to get out of bed and I woke up much earlier. I went through and organized all the pet food and fed the animals. Mercury likes spinach, weird.

I need to go back out there though, out in to Equestria. I feel more confident today, like I can actually accomplish something. I stumble out into the world- quite literally, I stumble as I walk out of my house. Quickly a red pegasus with a blue spiked mane helps me up.

"You took quite a fall. Are you okay?" He smiles at me. I dust myself off.

"Yes I am quite alright." I look up to him, flying above me. "I'm Monotone."

"Ruffled Feathers, pleased to meet you." He shakes my hand vigorously before letting go. He lands on the ground. "You live at a pet center?"

"Yeah. I was going to go out and see some of Ponyville." I tell him.

"So you're new here?"

"Actually I've lived here all of my life." I say nervously.

"And you haven't seen the town yet? What are you a hermit or something?" Ruffled Feathers said puzzled.

"Something like that." I shake my head. Really I can't see the point of having this conversation. Ruffled Feathers laughs.

"Let's hang out in the square." Ruffled Feathers says. "Unless you're scared." I frown.

"I'm not scared, and I've seen the town before it's just..." I pause for a moment. "I've mostly experienced things rather passively." It's true. I've been out in Ponyville with my dad, but whenever anything would happen I would just retreat into my shell.

"I didn't hear a word you just said." Ruffled Feathers admits, then trots off asking me to follow behind him. I make no effort to continue the conversation, unfortunately he continues on his own.

"You're not one of those weirdos with no friends are you?" He asks matter-of-factly.

"I have one friend, Prarie Grass." It felt weird saying it, I'd only just met him yesterday. But, I considered us friends. Maybe I just didn't want to admit that I had none and that getting friends at this point is just a demeaning task assigned by my mentor.

"The wheat farmer guy, I know him he's cool." He continued. "Chased a whole pack of timberwolves off his farm by himself. Really has no fear in him."

I think for a second that he might be lying, until I see Prairie Grass with a timberwolf on a leash. "Prairie Grass... what's with the wild animal."

"This is Sap." He says, petting his timberwolf eliciting excited moans from the creature. "This wood wolf was scared and hid behind our barn, instead of scolding him I thought I'd keep him."

Ruffled Feathers bends down and looks at the creature carefully.

"Um. What do these things eat exactly?" Prairie Grass says. Ruffled Feathers and I look at eachother puzzled. I shrug.

"They're... meat eaters." I say nervously. "I have a few mice from my store I can spare but that's all I can give you."

"Maybe I should just let this thing run... eating meat is just... unnatural." Prairie Grass says.

"Says the person with a steady diet of grass and weeds." Ruffled Feathers laughs.

"Hey!" Prarie Grass says.

"Oh I'm just teasing, let's go." Ruffled Feathers walks up ahead through mane street. I'm not sure where he's going, or how he knows Prairie Grass. But I follow behind him anyway. I stay mostly silent, until we reach Ponyville Tavern. "Cider anypony?" He says smirking.

"I don't drink." I say immediately. Ruffled Feathers rolls his eyes.

"Then get a soda or something."

I nod and then walk in with him, Prairie Grass walks in behind. I look to the bar counter to see an aqua pegasus with a cerulean mane balancing close to 11 drinks on his wing. "Who the..." I say mesmerized.

"Oh yeah it's Crushed Ice." Ruffled Feathers says, taking a seat. "Good to see you again." The pegasus' eyes immediately lock on Ruffled Feathers mechanically

"How can I help you." He says.

Ruffled Feathers whispers in my direction, sitting next to me. "He always says that." He raises his voice to a normal volume and looks at the bartender. "Soda, Cider, Grassy Lady." Crushed Ice Nods and immediately balances three more drinks on his wing.

"Whoa." I say, trailing off. Crushed Ice's looks at me and winks.

"What's three more?"

"He takes his job really seriously." I say.

"Not just his job. He always bites off more than he can chew. He does everything for everypony. It doesn't stress him out one bit." Prairie Grass smiles. "Not many ponies like that."

"So do you all know eachother?" I ask. The three nod simultaneously.

"Yep." Ruffled Feathers says as Crushed Ice puts our finished drinks on the table. I take a gigantic sip of mine, before my pupils turn to pinpricks as I realize it's cider.

"I'm poisoned." I say dramatically.

"No you're not, drink that, cut loose, I'll order myself another Cider." Ruffled Feathers orders. I nod and drink. It's actually quite good. Save for the alcohol, which I've never drank before until now.

"It's four o'clock, I'm off shift." Crushed Ice says, sitting next to Prairie Grass. A new female bartender walks in.

"He never drinks on the job." Ruffled Feathers says.

"Not unless I'm told to." Crushed Ice chimes in. I drink the rest of my Cider and then retch on the floor.

"Whoa." Crushed Ice says, leaning away.

"Friendship Is Vomit." Feathers laughs.

"Shut up."

Comments ( 3 )

5581295 Yes it does but if you dislike my story only for unoriginality then go ahead and dislike every other one because nothing is original. Have a nice day.

Friendship is HLEEAAHHHurkurkBLLEAAHH

Login or register to comment