• Published 10th Aug 2014
  • 1,534 Views, 15 Comments

The Inheritors of Friendship - NgKQ



Sequel to "Prophecy of the Future", the children of the Mane Six aim to learn the value of friendship from their parents and also put an end to the evil Queen Myra!

  • ...
9
 15
 1,534

Chapter 54

The two managed to meet Twilight and reported their findings.

“So that’s how it is, huh?” asked Twilight.

“Yes, but unfortunately, I have no idea what were they looking in the forest. This poses a threat to anypony else who wants to enter there.”

“I agree. Especially Madam Zecora who wants to visit us here!” added Beryl.

“If that’s the case,” concluded Twilight. “I’m really grateful to this new piece of information you’ve given to me.”

“Don’t mention it, Princess,” bowed Bloodthirst.

“As soon as I inform Princess Celestia this finding, then we’ll begin to formulate a plan to put an end to this.”

“Okay,” replied Beryl.

“You may return. In the meantime, get prepared.”

Later that night, Melody was with Twilight in the library.

“So, was there anything new today?”

“Apparently, there’s good news. Thanks to Beryl and Bloodthirst, we’ve managed to discover the hideout of Queen Myra!”

“That’s great! Where is it?”

“Deep in the Everfree Forest. Really, it’s quite rare to find a cave within the forest. Queen Myra must have picked this strategic location to prevent herself from being seen!”

“Maybe that explains her dangerous nature and why I met her minions in the Everfree Forest! Have you told Princess Celestia about it?”

“I will tomorrow. At that time we’ll think of a plan to take her down.”

The next day, Celestia’s reply came.

Meet me, Princess Luna, Shining Armor, Princess Cadance and Queen Chrysalis at Canterlot in the afternoon. We will start to plan our strategy in infiltrating Queen Myra’s hideout. Queen Chrysalis has dispatched some changelings to study the layout of the lair and this might take almost a day so we might need to discuss this until tomorrow.

“I’ll be away for about two days,” Twilight told Spike and Melody. “I’ll bring you back anything once we’ve came up with the plan.”

“Good luck, Twilight,” bade Spike.

“All the best, Mom,” said Melody. “Hopefully I can get involved.”

“I can’t guarantee that,” she replied. “But I’ll see if you can help us, too.”

The day passed. Melody was feeling anxious and uneasy all day. The greatest challenge has arrived, yet she was eager to join the frontline, but was worried that she couldn’t.

Even her friends were concerned about her.

“It’s your chance to fight back your enemy, Melody. You shouldn’t be down for that!” said Greenie Hats.

“I know,” she responded. “But ever since my charm was scratched, I still feel uneasy.”

“Gah, not that thought again,” thought Platinum Royale to herself.

“You know what, Melody?” Chaos spoke to her. “I used to hear somepony say that when something protective like a charm gets damaged, it doesn’t mark the end if it’s function. In fact it means that the spirit of the charm has helped you passed one catastrophe, so you can still wear it, as long as the spirit of the charm is always there to protect you.”

“Are you sure this myth is true?” asked Melody, still doubtful.

“Trust me, my love. Your father is always there to protect you…”

Melody closed her eyes, deep in thought. She had longed to see her father since her mother, Princess Celestia and her uncle Shining Armor often told stories about him, and their love story when she was a filly.

“You’re right,” she said at last. “I suppose, all I have to do is to think of my father. Then this should give me strength.”

“Uh, well,” said Pizza Frenzy, changing the subject. “I’ve been pressurized by all those hospital ponies these days that I couldn’t sleep well!”

“Really?” asked Thunder Clash. “I thought that your funny personality can’t let those creatures get you.”

The next evening, Twilight returned. She appeared disappointed.

“What’s wrong, Mom?” asked Melody.

“I’ve got bad news,” she replied. “Throughout the discussion for our strategy in infiltrating the lair…” She paused for a moment. “You weren’t mentioned in the operation.”

“What?” A sudden tinge of shock pierced through her mind.

“She told us everything, who should station at which part of the lair. But… Princess Celestia didn’t mention you at all…”

Melody questioned further. “Are you involved in the mission, too?”

“I am. So does the Princesses, Shining Armor, Princess Cadance and your brother. Your brother and I have to locate the site of Myra’s chamber. Our operation begins tomorrow afternoon.”

Melody’s mind began to race with anxiousness. “No… no way! I can’t believe this! Princess Celestia trusted me all along, and I’ve been waiting for this…!”

“Melody…”

“Please, I need some space now…” And she galloped back to her room, with tears in her eyes.

“Melody…” Twilight had a face of concern.

“What’s going on?” Spike came and asked.

“Melody just got omitted from the operation for Queen Myra tomorrow, and now…” she sighed. “I knew Melody will behave like this once I told her…”

Spike comforted her. “It wasn’t your fault,” he said. “I think Princess Celestia’s worried about her. That’s why she doesn’t let her join you.”

“I don’t suspect anything, Spike,” Twilight replied. “We have even called many more reinforcements, so they should be helping us. You are to take care of Melody for us while we’re away. Tonight I have to gather my friends for the operation…”

“Okay then…” But Spike felt sympathetic, too. Just the others wasn’t enough to defeat Queen Myra. How would they accomplish this with somepony missing?

The next morning…

Melody was sitting unhappily on her study table. Her mother had left early to start gathering her friends and wait for Princess Celestia to begin their final battle. Ponyville was in a state of quietness. Half of the townsponies have already fallen under Myra’s spell, making Ponyville look like a ghost town. Mayor Mare had instructed all to get everything prepared in this emergency. The sky was cloudy gray, showing that Myra’s ultimate plan to dominate the universe beginning.

Melody flipped the pages of an old family album. In it she found many pictures of her parents together, from their wedding day to the birth of her brother. In most of the pictures, her father smiled. He looked handsome.

Melody sighed. She wished that her father was here, motivating and supporting her.

Spike came into the room.

“Hey, Melody.”

“Spike,” she told him. “I just couldn’t accept this. How can Princess Celestia not put one of her faithful students on one life-changing mission?”

“I can’t help it, either. After all, that was the Princess’ decision, and she couldn’t change that.”

Melody slumped onto the table. She closed her eyes. Deep in her mind, she imagined her father standing in front of her, smiling, exactly how he looked like in the photos. Looking out of the open window, she remembered her coltfriend Chaos Control’s advice on the charm, still serving its property.

Melody immediately sat up. She began to look stern.

“That’s it, Spike,” she said at last.

“What?”

“I’m going to join this battle. I can’t stand to see my family, my friends and my beloved ones fall under the hooves of somepony insane!”

“Wait, Melody, are you trying to risk yourself?”

“Why do you say so?”

“That’s… just my assumption… that Princess Celestia isn’t letting you go because she doesn’t want to see you get hurt!”

Melody gave a huff. “I’m not caring about that anymore.”

“Huh?”

“If Queen Myra’s main target is me, then the target is the one that can defeat her. Also, I now believe the fact that even my charm is damaged, it doesn’t mark the end of its function! I need to show her who’s the real thing.”

Wearing her charm, she headed for the window, spreading her wings and began to fly.

Just as she was about a few feet away from her room window, Spike called her. “Wait!”

Melody turned back. “What is it?”

“I want to come, too.”

“Come, what for?”

“Actually,” Spike admitted. “I was feeling worried, too. I just… I just don’t want anything to happen to Twilight and your brother. She needs me, too. Your words have moved me.”

Melody considered for a moment.

“I know exactly what you mean, Number One Assistant.”

Spike looked at her with excited eyes.

“Now hop onto me!” she told him. “We need to get to the Everfree Forest as quick as possible!”

With Spike saddled onto Melody, she flew to the outskirts of Ponyville where she descended upon spotting Fluttershy’s cottage.

“What are we going to do now?” asked Spike as he got off from Melody.

“We’re going to find that cave. Let’s go.”

The Everfree Forest was dark due to the added darkness by the dark clouds. They had to be on high alert in case there were some minions or royal guards lurking around.

It was a thirty-minute search until they found the cave entrance.

“Whoa,” gasped Melody. “It’s so huge.”

“I think we needa check if anypony’s here,” said Spike.

“Good point, Spike,” she agreed and they hid behind a bush.

They waited and observed for five minutes, but nopony appeared.

“Now, Spike, you wait here.”

“Why? I need to go in, too. Your mom’s in there.”

“I’ve escorted you this far, OK? Just guard at the cave entrance to make sure nopony’s around here. Just come in in case you suspect nothing anymore.”

And she immediately galloped inside.

For ten minutes, Melody walked quietly within the cave. It was moderately lit, with a few torches along the passage. She had to hop through a few ledges in her way.

She was about to jump over another ledge when…

“Melody Aurora!”

Jolted, Melody turned back to see no other than a stern-looking Princess Celestia.

“What are you doing here?” she asked severely. “Shouldn’t you be at Ponyville?”

“I… I was trying to-”

“You what?” she demanded, her tone rising.

“Help. I… I just don’t want to-”

“Why do you say so!?”

The harsh words rendered Melody shocked and dumb. Both stared at each other for a few minutes. Then, Princess Celestia spoke, but now in a normal tone.

“Why did you still have to come even I didn’t call you in? Besides, your charm…”

“Because…” began Melody, her eyes beginning to water. “I want to prove that I’m the only one that can defeat her.”

“Huh?”

“Remember that one letter you sent to me a few years ago?”

“…”

“Princess, I know that you and everypony else loved me. You treasured me with my brother so well. But, look at me. I’m a mare entering adulthood already. I’m not that young filly I used to be, being a crybaby who needs to be pampered.”

“Melody…”

“Believe me, if Queen Myra’s main target is me, and that I scared her away when I was ten, I just came to this realization. I feel like I’m the only one who can defeat her. Chaos even told me how can a charm, still serving its property despite taken damage, so I held on to this belief that my father’s around me, being my guardian angel. So please, believe me. Please don’t send me back. I’ve already come this far so please, I beg you…”

With that Melody broke down into tears. Seeing her situation, Princess Celestia’s heart softened. She went over to Melody, with her wing embracing her.

“I understand how you feel, Melody. I’m sorry for not including you in this mission,” she spoke gently. “I thought that by Queen Myra not sensing your presence here, our mission of taking her down would be efficient. But your words have moved me. Really, I think you might be the newest heroes Equestria will ever expect.”

“You really think so?”

“I do. After all, you, your brother and your mother are the best students I’ve ever had.”

“Now,” she instructed her. “You are with us in putting an end to Queen Myra.”

“What can I do now?”

“Go and find your mother and brother. They’re searching and trying to find a way to enter her main chamber. But, I am giving you one condition.”

“?”

“You and your family must come out alive. Whatever you do, the evil queen must be defeated. If not, everything in the universe will be in great peril. Is that clear?”

“I got it.” But before she could leave further, she asked again. “How did you know that I’m here, actually?”

“I met Spike at the cave entrance,” Celestia explained. “He managed to tell me what really happened, and he told me about his concerns as well.”

“Oh…”

“Now what are you waiting for? Go and find your mother. I’ll be telling her that you’re on your way.”

Melody instantly became overjoyed. “Thanks, Princess!” She hugged her front legs before continuing her journey. Princess Celestia smiled.

“Whatever just happened here?” Princess Luna appeared.

“Nothing special,” mused Celestia to her sister. “Our young princess is here to end the sufferings…”