• Published 10th Aug 2014
  • 1,535 Views, 15 Comments

The Inheritors of Friendship - NgKQ



Sequel to "Prophecy of the Future", the children of the Mane Six aim to learn the value of friendship from their parents and also put an end to the evil Queen Myra!

  • ...
9
 15
 1,535

Chapter 26

This arc will be narrated from Prince Orion Galaxy’s point of view. Here he recounts on his life as a royal guard serving Princesses Celestia and Luna, and the dilemmas and ordeals he’s been through.

“I can’t bear to lose anypony I love. I must protect… everypony whom I treasure!”

These were my words when Princess Celestia asked me why, when I told her my wish to be a royal guard.

It all started back when I was ten, three months after me and my sister Melody Aurora settled with Princess Celestia. All the while, Princess taught us about the knowledge of friendship, and we were enrolled into the Unicorn school. Born as an Alicorn, which meant that I was part of royalty, I was highly respected, yet I treated my classmates fairly, be them rich or poor.

But there was something that troubled me at that time. Like everypony else, one of their biggest obstacles in life was getting their cutie marks. I, too was on my own quest in searching my own talent, but there was no luck for me so far and I was often picked on by those who were show-offs. Princess would then advise me, “Never bother a word of them, for your own talent will eventually be discovered.”

Until one day, Princess Celestia decided that I should at least take a break from my studies and spend some time with my grandparents. They wanted to take me out for a shopping trip. I gladly agreed, since I wanted to go out for a while. Melody, however, stayed in the castle. She wanted to study more.

“Never mind,” I told her. “I can bring you back some stuff. I promise that it’ll be good!” That cheered her.

Soon, we were in the greatest shopping mall in Canterlot. That’s the one my grandparents frequented often. I looked around. Never had I seen everything colorful in there.

“Don’t get distracted, sweetie,” said Grandma.

It took us about an hour to get what they needed. For Melody, I bought down the sweetest cereal box she could ever taste. I imagined the moment when we had breakfast together. Not just that, we did everything together. Playing, studying and sleeping. Everyone said that we’re really inseparable. In fact she’s my dearest sister I’ve ever had.

We were queuing in line at the counter when suddenly, I thought I heard a mare scream. The next thing I knew, three stallions, clad in black burst into the mall, each one of them carrying a sack, then everypony panicked.

I quickly realized that it was a robbery. Now that I’m caught in one, what could I do?

“Everypony, listen up,” the one who was a unicorn, which I assumed was the leader spoke. “Bring me all of your properties! I don’t care whether it’s important to you or not!”

“If you don’t, I’ll kill anyone who refuses!”

Instantly everypony, trembling with fear surrendered their items. Suddenly, Grandma shouted.

“Why don’t you go and rob someplace else like Manehattan or Vanhoover? There’s more nice stuff to get there, you know that?”

“Oh, that old lady dares to defy my orders, huh?” the unicorn one shouted. “Seize her!”

Without warning, the other two grabbed her and had her pinned onto a wall. I remember well that the unicorn guy casted magic so that she couldn’t move.

“Grandma!” I cried while the others gasped with shock.

“What’s wrong?” he demanded. “Hurry, or else she’ll be in slices by the time I don’t get anything in one minute!”

“What do you think you’re doing to my wife!?” I could see Grandpa raging, shouting at them. “You have no right to make her a hostage. Why don’t you go and pick somepony else?”

“Oh, another defiant?” I watched in horror as I saw the unicorn pushed Grandpa away from me before colliding onto a shelf. It collapsed, and food cans fell and buried all over him.

“Honey!” Grandma cried.

“Grandpa!” I shouted, running towards him. I dug my way through the cans. By the time I touched his hoof, I froze.

He wasn’t moving at all.

I turned to the robbers, now furious.

“Nopony shall ever hurt my grandpa or my grandma!”

“What’s the matter, kid? You love your grandparents so much?” jeered one of them.

“Now,” I yelled. “You’ll pay for this!”

With that, my horn glowed as I activated my magic, and charged towards them.

“Get that kid!”

His accomplices tried to get me, but I was able to dodge them in time, and attacked them. Soon they were knocked out cold.

As everyone else watched with amazement, I turned to the leader.

“Let go of my Grandma!”

“You want your granny? Then you have to deal with me… little prince!”

At least, he still knew I was a prince. If he dared to call me in another silly name I wouldn’t have forgiven him.

I charged, launching every attack Princess Celestia taught me. But he was just too powerful. Somehow he had a shield around him, preventing me from making a scratch on him.

I could sense that Grandma was watching me battle, with a worried look.

“Please, Orion…” I could feel her praying.

It was not until we began to feel exhausted. I was badly bruised, too.

“Nice try, kid,” panted the leader. “Now, why don’t I’ll send you… and your grandparents… to Tartarus!” And he fired his own magic blast. Just as it was about a few inches from my horn, I fired mine, too. His magic was too strong, yet I can’t hold back.

“Hnnnggghhh…!” I grunted as I pushed his magic back. The clash of magic soon touched his shield.

“You think you can break this defense, little boy?” the leader taunted. “Just give it up already!”

I didn’t care. I concentrated as hard as I could.

Suddenly, and unexpectedly, I heard a faint crack from nowhere. Then I heard somepony shout.

“Look at the shield! It’s cracking!”

The leader, who was smirking, suddenly changed his expression to shock when he saw that his defense was weakening.

“What? No way!” He tried all his might, but it was too late.

A minute later, I heard a loud explosion as if a window pane had been shattered, then I fell over, tired. Somehow I beat him.

“All hail Prince Orion Galaxy! Celestia has blessed him the power to break through the defenses!” somepony shouted.

As the crowd cheered in surprise, I summoned up my strength to get to Grandma, who was freed the moment the leader was knocked down.

“Orion…!” Grandma wailed. “Are you okay?”

“Grandma…!” I cried softly, before I fell into her lap and closed my eyes. The last thing I remember, I could hear the leader raging that a colt like me could never beat him before hearing the voices of royal guards arresting him…

The moment I opened my eyes, I found myself in a hospital-like room. The first ones to see were my sister and Princess Celestia. I looked around my body. I had my injured parts bandaged all over.

“Where am I?”

“You’re in the infirmary,” answered the Princess. “The guards were able to get you back here while your grandparents were sent to the hospital.”

“Orion!” I could see her eyes red with tears. “I was worried about you!”

“It’s okay. I’m fine,” I said as I cuddled her.

“You pushed too hard, huh?” asked the Princess.

Then a messenger pony came in.

“Your Royal Highness, Prince Orion Galaxy of Equestria,” he began. “I have assuring news for you. Both your grandparents are safe. Your grandfather needs intensive care, since he’s critically pushed back by the force.”

“Oh, I’m glad…”

“There’s something happier than knowing your grandparents’ condition now. Take a look at your flank,” Princess Celestia suddenly said.

I flipped the blanket away. To my surprise, there was my cutie mark. It comprised of a shield, with a lightning bolt piercing through it.

“M-my cutie mark!” I exclaimed with surprise. But I was confused. “Princess, what does that mean?”

“Your very powerful magic is your special talent,” Princess explained. “Very powerful that it can break through any defenses. In fact, what you did to the leader of the robbers shows your potential.”

“Oh, I see…” And then I yawned.

“Come on, Melody. Your brother needs rest.” And I saw her led Melody away from the room.

Later, it was midnight. But I couldn’t sleep. I flipped my body over and over. I thought about my mother and my sister. I thought about my friends back in Ponyville. I thought about Princesses Celestia and Luna. I thought about my uncle and Aunt Cadance. I recalled the incident at the mall earlier. Then, I remembered the moment I saw my father for the last time. As I remembered, tears dropped from my eyes. There was something I had to do for them.

Then, the door opened, and Princess Celestia came in to check if I was alright. She could see I wasn’t asleep.

“You seem to be very stressed. Is something troubling you?” she asked tenderly, touching her hoof on my shoulder.

“Princess,” I began. “I’ve been thinking about everypony I’ve met in my life. I’ve made up my mind what to do.”

“What is it?”

“I want to be a royal guard.”

“Why?”

That’s when I told her these words.

“But why do you want to protect everypony?” she asked, rather surprised.

“After I saw Grandpa and Grandma attacked just now, I thought of everypony I loved. I even thought about Dad…” I couldn’t hold my feelings anymore. I went into Princess’ lap, crying with my might.

“Poor boy. You sure to love your father the most, huh?”

“He… was the best figure… I’ve ever had…”

“If that’s the case, how about your studies?”

“I can’t put aside my studies as well. After all, Mom was your brightest student…”

“If that’s the case,” decided Princess. “Then I’ll try to rearrange your daily routine.”

“Thanks, Princess…”

Author's Note:

Well, never thought that I would do a story arc from somepony's point of view...
And that's the beginning of Arc 6 BTW