• Published 10th Aug 2014
  • 1,534 Views, 15 Comments

The Inheritors of Friendship - NgKQ



Sequel to "Prophecy of the Future", the children of the Mane Six aim to learn the value of friendship from their parents and also put an end to the evil Queen Myra!

  • ...
9
 15
 1,534

Chapter 23

Author's Note:

After an absence of a fortnight, I'm back to the writing derby. Thanks for waiting!

One casual afternoon at the barn in Sweet Apple Acres.

Applejack, Nikula Alder and their family were in the living room. They were waiting for Apple Bloom and Big McIntosh to come over.

“I just can’t believe it,” said Applejack, looking out to the orchard. “It’s gonna be the family reunion in ‘bout a week.”

“Always the excitement,” agreed Niku. “I remember the good old days when we all used to help out.”

“Especially when good o’ Granny Smith was around. I really miss her,” said Raisin Brandy, recalling the nostalgic times.

Granny Smith passed away a couple of years ago. Not because of a mishap, but she did die peacefully, with a smile on her face on the day of her funeral, which almost everypony attended. That made Applejack’s eyes mist all over.

“You’re right, Greenhoof,” agreed Applejack, wiping her tears away. “The talk of her surely brings me back memories.”

“Have you been working too hard lately, sonny?” asked Niku.

“Well, you can say. I feel like I’ve been stressed up all the while. I just can’t put down my job,” sighed Raisin.

“But hey, don’t forget that we appreciated your gardening works!” complimented his elder sister Fiji. “I love it when I see all your rewards on the shelf.” Raisin’s trophies and medals from the planting competitions he participated were displayed alongside with Applejack’s rodeo medals.

“Reminds me how I worked so hard back in my days,” recalled Applejack.

“Wish I can start my own company someday,” continued Raisin.

“Chill, killer. You need to spend time with us more often,” calmed Niku.

“I know, thanks dad.”

At that moment, there was a knock at the door. Apple Bloom and Big McIntosh have arrived.

“Glad to see you two here,” welcomed Applejack.

“It’s really a nice pleasure,” replied Apple Bloom. “How’s everypony doing?”

“Pretty fine, aunty,” said Raisin. “Uncle Mac, how about you?”

“Eeyup!”

At that moment, the youngest unicorn sibling, Malinae came downstairs with a paintbrush.

“Hi, you two!” she shrilled as she painted the guests’ faces and hooves.

“Malinae!” cried Applejack.

“Whoa, hey, stop it, Linnie,” giggled Apple Bloom.

“Nope, nope, nope,” said Big McIntosh, wiping the paint away.

“I’m sorry if she’s caused such trouble to you,” apologized Niku.

“It’s alright,” forgave Apple Bloom. “Anyway, I heard that she just got her cutie mark a week ago, right?”

“That’s it, Auntie Bloom!” said Malinae, proudly showing her flank, which were three colored apples.

“Wow, that was cute,” praised Apple Bloom.

“The only thing is that she colors anything she sees,” complained Raisin. “Not just her house and all of Ponyville, but I even caught her coloring her own hair pink all over!”

“Oh, come on!” pouted Malinae as her brother told her all her antics.

“You remind me the days I spent with Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle,” went on Apple Bloom. “Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon loved to pick on us, but now they finally knew what true determination is.”

“For a seven-year-old foal like you to get a cutie mark, I’m really surprised,” remarked Niku. “I hadn’t got mine until nineteen!”

“For an ex-criminal like you, I understand your situation,” sympathized Applejack.

“Thanks.”

“By the way, I wonder where are the ciders?” asked Apple Bloom.

“Oh! Sorry to keep you all waiting. I go get them now,” said Raisin as he went to the kitchen to get them. But just as he opened the refrigerator door, a foul stench emerged out of the fridge.

“What happened?” asked Niku as he rushed to the kitchen after hearing his son’s groans.

“I thought Fiji said that they’re alright!” cried Raisin. “Just look at that!” He showed the spoiled cider to him, full of bad froth.

“Fiji, come here!” called Niku severely.

“Yes, Father?”

“Look at this!”

Fiji turned ashen upon looking at the rancid cider.

“Now how many times have you been lying to me?”

“I… I…”

“What in tarnation?” Applejack joined the commotion. Apple Bloom followed.

“Fiji thinks she’s a smart aleck. She told us that the ciders are fine but just look at this!”

“Fiji,” frowned Applejack. “I didn’t expect you to be a complete opposite from us.”

“But mom…” protested Fiji.

“What I’m amazed is that you can act as if nothing has happened after you did this every time,” added Raisin.

“Fiji dear,” began Applejack. “If you can do this, then I think you’re better in acting stuff. Look at your cutie mark. I hope it tells you the meaning.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” said an ashamed Fiji after looking at her flank. “I wish I can look for a filming agency.”

“Maybe you can try your luck in Las Pegasus,” suggested Raisin. “There’s more filming guys looking for you.”

“Come to talk about those big cities, I wonder how are the others preparing for the upcoming family reunion, Apple Bloom?” asked Niku.

“Oh, Babs Seed sent me a letter a few days ago. She said that she’ll be coming a week earlier to help things out,” explained Apple Bloom.

Babs was one of the nicest relatives Apple Bloom could remember. She became a meanie with the tycoon ponies due to her fate back in Manehattan, but a lesson served her right and she had her own Cutie Mark Crusaders branch in Manehattan.

“I see about that,” replied Applejack. “In the meantime, I would love you all to give her a warm welcome.”

“Yay!!” cheered Malinae.

“Now what about the cider?” asked Fiji. “Since you’ve blown me out…”

“Don’t worry! Big Mac and I prepared some!” Apple Bloom then produced a few cans of cider she brought from her home.

“Phew!”

“Anyway, I have a room reserved for y’all. Come with me!” said Applejack.

The next morning, Malinae was the first among the three siblings to get up first. After getting herself prepared she went downstairs to the kitchen only to find Apple Bloom there already, having her own light breakfast.

“There you are, Linnie,” called Apple Bloom.

“Oh, good morning!”

“Come here. I love to talk to a little unicorn like you.”

So the two sat down and enjoyed their morning chat.

“So do you like Auntie Babs?”

“Of course I do! Everypony in this family mean a lot to me.”

“Glad to hear that.”

“By the way, I wonder how Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon treat you and the other two now.”

“The day we finally got all of our cutie marks, they did turn over a new leaf. It’s a good thing that they finally knew what it is for hard work and perseverance.”

“I see.”

“To be honest, I really miss those times Granny was with us.”

“I agree. She’s like my goddess or something.”

“It’s a real surprise that she lived so long.”

“Yeah, I agree.”

Their conversation was interrupted by a sudden knock at the door.

“Hello? Anypony in there?” called a familiar voice. Apple Bloom immediately recognized it.

“It’s her! There she comes!”

Sure enough, they opened the door only to find no other than Babs Seed in her casual outfit. Back in Manehattan she usually wore her yellow overalls for work.

“Babs! There you are!” cried Apple Bloom, hugging her.

“Always that feeling, eh?” asked Babs. “Oh, hello, Malinae.”

“Hi, Aunty Babs!”

“So, where are the rest of your family?”

“Uh… still snoring, I guess.”

“What in the world…” A sleepy Applejack arrived downstairs to find the three at the door. “Oh, hey, Babs.”

“A pleasure to be with you, Applejack,” replied Babs.

As the rest of the family all got up, Babs joined with them for breakfast.

“So, how’s business this time at Manehattan?” asked Niku.

“Pretty fair. Everything’s going on well, I can say.”

“So, how did you get to arrive here so early?” asked Raisin.

“I boarded the 5 a.m. train just now. I just don’t want to be too late so as not to spoil the preparations for the reunion.”

“It’ll be a big help to us if you can come as early as this to help us,” smiled Fiji.

“Eeyup!” agreed Big McIntosh.

A while later, the three siblings were on their way to the Friendship Rainbow Kingdom Castle to meet up with Melody Aurora and their friends.

“Do you think it’ll be more fun if we can invite Melody over?” asked Malinae along the way.

“Maybe,” replied Raisin. “But I hope that they don’t screw everything. Too many cooks spoil the broth!”

“Well, I can’t deny that,” finished Fiji.

Then, they noticed a huge crowd from far away.

“What’s going on?” asked Malinae.

“No idea. We better check that out,” answered Raisin and they rushed to the scene.