• Published 27th Jul 2014
  • 3,578 Views, 140 Comments

Lost in a Terrifying World - Erisn



Slender gets lost in Equestria. Screaming ensues. Not all of it comes from him. Can one of the Eldritch come to respect ponies as intelligent, thinking beings? Or will he wipe them all out?

  • ...
5
 140
 3,578

Epilogue

It is a curious fact that even the eldritch gather and meet. It seems odd that beings with no sense of society or the need for social intercourse do such things. But they do commune, from time to time. They will converse, so far as we understand that word. But even more rarely, the eldritch gather. All of them.

There is no reason for the communion, or at least none that we understand. There is no set time that must pass before all the eldritch join each other. Perhaps they have a signal. Perhaps the meeting can be called by the greatest of their number, or perhaps it is an authority granted to all. Maybe it is just coincidence that causes them to group. It is impossible to know.

The Slender Man joined the gathering, and remained silent throughout. This was usual of him however, and those eldritch that knew him found nothing unusual.

When the eldritch join together, they do not talk of interesting experiences, or acquaintances made, locations visited. In such numbers, they only care for one thing: the game. All their discussions revolve around killing, and the realities they had destroyed, or the destruction they had caused.

There is no leader among them, but they nevertheless have rankings, of a sort. Some eldritch drift together, whether because they share similar traits, or because reside in similar realities, or simply because they appreciate some quality the others possessed. But a few groups in that wierd gathering are unique and special.

The Slender Man listened to The Rake ‘speaking’. It was a small group he was among, filled with some of the greater Ancients, of which it has to be said The Rake was not one. Nevertheless, his mythology was linked closely to The Slender Man’s, and for that he was often recognized as one of them.

They were legendary, even among their kind. Cthulu, Sithis, Fendahl, The Glow Cloud, Rovagug, that which is known as The Flying Spaghetti Monster, Azathoth…and The Slender Man. They all were known and revered for their accomplishments, and it was a mark of how high The Slender Man stood among them that The Rake was allowed to join.

It boasted, of course. They all did. The Rake spoke it its way of worlds destroyed, despair driven into the hearts of many. Cthulu among that group seemed most appreciative, expressing appreciation as The Rake described a human world destroyed.

The Slender Man listened impassively as The Rake talked of the countries that had fallen, one by one, launching desperate attacks against him before their people fled and their leaders died by its hand. He made no comment, but he seldom did. He was silent, listening, until The Rake mentioned a barn it had destroyed.

It hadn’t been much. A farmer and wife had fled it long since, and it was the last remaining source of life in that continent. All it held were a few cows, some rats living among the filth. Oh, and a young pony. The Rake had killed that one slowly before it had moved on.

At this, The Slender Man stirred. He moved, and so unusual was the event that The Rake fell into silence at once, and Cthulu ceased its appreciative comments as all of the eldritch focused their attention on The Slender Man.

In fact, it wasn’t just that esteemed group that stopped to listen, but most of the entire gathering. The Slender Man seldom boasted of his accomplishments, preferring to his work speak for himself. But the times he did communicate always heralded victories over life that had been unheard of, deaths of realities, the greatest of civilizations wiped away.

They waited for him to speak. They listened for a tale that would sprout legends of horror in itself, set the bar higher than it had ever been set before. The Slender Man was silent for a long time. And then he laid one hand on The Rake’s shoulder and began.

----

Nobody knows when the Great War of the eldritch ended. It is not a thing spoken of. Gods silence each other, and immortals fear to speak of that event. It is not a set point in time. You may even remember it, for the war was long and raged forever, and was over in the space of a heartbeat. It was a war in a place where time had no meaning, where beings fought with weapons we have no name for, and all that remained was nothing in the end.

Some survived, of course. Such is the nature of war. Some remained, to destroy and consume, but others changed from The War, and forgot their game and their rules, and the nature of the eldritch, their common bond was dissolved.

No one knows when that war ended, when battle ceased and silence reigned once again. No one knows, no being remembers. But all agree that The War started when the Slender Man ripped off The Rake’s head and used it to beat Cthulu into a protoplasmic mess.

----

Alone one being drifted through the nothingness. He had been wounded, hurt, but he had survived. He always survived. But his heart was not full of sadness or rage. He did not curse his existence as he had done so many times before, unconsciously railing against his very being. Instead, he simply drifted.

Time had no meaning in this place. Eternity was captured, and time no longer flowed but swirled around him. He had forever, but he did nothing with it. Instead, he sat in that void, that nothingness, and thought. To be more accurate, he remembered. He dreamed.

He remembered a face full of happiness. He remembered a smile, a voice. He remembered someone calling him friend. And he dreamed of a day when he might hear that voice again. He dreamed on and on and never hoped to wake.

And so the tale of the eldritch ends. All that there is to know about them is this: they never change. They obey rules of their own devising, and none of ours. They cannot be understood, cannot be reasoned with. They exist to destroy reality, and to break the many ifs of the multiverse into fragments and leave nothing left. That is what they are. That is what we know of them.

But that is not the truth.

Comments ( 29 )

But all agree that The War started when the Slender Man ripped off The Rake’s head and used it to beat Cthulu into a protoplasmic mess.

Laughed Out Loud. :D

*Clap*Clap*Clap* you sir did a fine job on this story. Time after time you did amazing with your descriptions and your ideas all around. The ending with the eldritch turning to war was in my opinion meh, but, not my story. So all in all you did great. Keep up the great work in your other works and good luck with wherever you end up.:pinkiehappy:

You sir, are a magnificent bastard who has written a fantasticly amazing story. It was horrifying, with plenty of humorous and occasional daaaw moments. Your writing style was perfect, descriptive, and ever-so-slightly sarcastic when needed. I loved your interpretation of the Slender Man, and how you managed to redeem him in the end by having him kick The Rake's and Chthulu's asses. Just everything about this was wonderful.
Keep on writing, mate. Because you are awesome.

Fluttershy here sums it up the best:

The levels of satisfaction that this ending gives me is paradoxical. Your vagueness of the reactions of the ponies when they realize that Slendy spared them felt... vague. Especially after Celestia's prejudice-laced assault. But that Great War at end. I feel happy. Make more things like this. Balance the satisfying feelings with the art.

And in the end, he does The Right Thing. It is infuriating how little appreciated this story is... because it deserves so much more. Oh shit, my feels, have all of them.:raritycry:

4900023
Glad you liked the ending despite the vagueness! I did consider portraying reactions, but the end of the story is told from Slender's perspective, and so I guess we just have to guess at the reactions of the others.

My only regret is that it's hard to attract an audience for a story that seems to be another Slender Man gore-fest. Still, I'm exceptionally grateful to everyone who took the time to read through the story!

4906649 This story is the first to be more than a Slender Man gore-fest, or crack-fest, or even clop-fest. It had heart, one still beating and in the chest where it belongs. :heart:

Consider this story adored.

This story is fantastic, and you have a very engaging writing style. It compelled me to stay up all night reading the entire story! I really hope you continue writing as you have an excellent prowess. Favourited; definitely!

4906649
Please let there be a sequel.

I did want to touch upon the fact that slender's game never finished. The ponies had never collected all 8 pages. Perhaps a sequel could be in order where the elements of harmony used the remaining strength of their power to ressurect twilight and have her finish the game. He would appear before her after collecting the pages. And she would explain the truth. She would explain the influence of the elements and the pain of learning what he truly was, inadvertently breaking their influence to allow her to give him an honest and sincere forgiveness. She would tell him the elements are dust and no longer influencing her. She would then tell him that she forgave him.

From there, slender could perhaps take twilight to a new equestria to start again

I have read a great many stories in my time on FimFiction. Tens of thousands maybe, because that's how much time I spend on this site. They could have been a thousand words long, or could have been a million, but I read them.

I can say, without a doubt in my mind, this is one of the best stories that I have ever read in my time on this site. I will not forget this ever, and I will most likely read it again many times. You, sir, are an artist, and you need to keep doing what you're doing. Stories like this are the entire reason I am in this fandom, and I'm glad that I came across this one, once upon a time.

He always watches, yet he has no eyes...
He will always be, yet has never been...
He is true Eldritch, yet he is much more...
He never lived, and he'll never die...

He is the Slender Man...

NOthInG CaN sTop HIM...

Wow... that is deep.

In a number of instances I felt true utter despair and sadness, as well as laughter and happiness, then it came to this fic. It offered the greatest example of 'what is Slender Man' ever, never liked it when people tried to make him out as cruel or monstrous, I mean sure, in a way you could say that is the case, but that seemed to make his very presence... like a threat to be taken down, like a mindless beast that is to be regarded as such.

In the games he is a faceless, unexplainable entity, why would a multiuniversal being of mass genocide have such instinct driven reasons to doing what he does? Nope, I love the orange and blue morality that is present here, when Slender is at such a higher plain of existence that he can't even understand that there are sentient creatures in the world, I mean, take away understanding of our culture, sentience and history, and we're the guys wrecking our home planet's eco system, making species go extinct, fighting wars among ourselves. How could Slender Man understand such a thing when he can't even communicate to us as such.

Also, the fight between Eldritch beings was a unexpected, yet great ending, it shows how much Slender was affected, being alone even among his fellow world enders, never understanding human emotion or mortality until he was thrown into a magically enhanced SUN and understood truly what it meant to be mortal.

In the end... despite what he had done, despite what he represents, despite what he might do.
Twilight called him a friend... and that is truly what makes me love this story.

UPVOTE! FAVOURITE! AWESOMENESS!

This was an amazing experience.

Why in the name of Slender does this not have more like, or views ... or more anything :rainbowhuh:
For this is truly an rather amazing story with great plot, feeling, emotions and a reasonable explanation why
Pinkie Pie is beeing Pinkie Pie.

Was wondering why there was no Tragedy Tag near the end, but then I read on and was amazed.
Great Job mate, had a blast reading it :pinkiehappy:

7321446
I get that question sometimes. Short answer is that I suck at promoting anything I write. But not many people feel like reading this anyways on first glance because, well...it's a Slender story. Let's just say the bar isn't set high in terms of expectations.

Also re: the Tragedy tag, I know it all seems sad but it gets a bit better the end. Plus, wouldn't that give away too much of the plot? I rather like subverting expectations with using a single tag.

Really glad you liked it! I may not have many views, but I deeply appreciate every comment readers leave saying they enjoyed this story! I still consider it my best piece on this site in a way, with How to Be Cruel and Until the End coming up in second and third place.

I thank you for this experience.
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
I got no sleep on this night.
I will now look at your other stories.
I am talking like this because the ending killed my heart.

7368372
There is no higher praise for a writer. Glad you liked the story, and hope the other ones don't mess you up too...badly.

I thank you for this experience.

This. was. Amazing!!!!
The feels were killing me inside! Oh poor Slender. I would love to see a sequel where he comes back to see them. Just want him to be happy ;_;

...When I first came across this fic, I came into it expecting a generic edgy gore based story revolving around simply killing and bad grammar. I had a feeling this was at least legible, and so I decided to read it for kicks.

To my great surpise, you went beyond that and gave the Slenderman an actual personality beyond generic creepypasta monster. And here I am at the end, deeply moved by the whole ordeal.

Though this fic has gone overlooked, I'll be sure to try to recommend it to friends, even if they may be skeptical given the history of other slenderman related stories. Keep writing on, author!

Holy shit I think I cried a bit reading this story it's probably one of if not the best story I've ever seen 100/10

Dude you Are a god! This Story is probatly among the Best i have ever read, But i'm a Bit confused at the Ending did he destroy Equestria or Not and did he kill Twilight?

Such a damn shame more people don't give this story a chance. It's full of humor and gives personality to a faceless, speechless abomination. The expected dark, violent elements are there but not the focus and there are some jaw dropping epic moments throughout, not to mention an emotional touch. Everypony is rather in character too. Love it.

This story is amazing! It made me feel despair and hopelessness at some times, and happy and laughing at other times, I can only hope my writing gets this good!

Just found this story. Really sad I didn't see this story until now. Even sadder with how this ended. I knew it wasn't going to have a happy ending, but fuck, I wanted Slenderman to be recognized as someone that wants redemption and not some Eldritch Monster.

I legit cried at the end

Login or register to comment