• Published 29th Mar 2014
  • 4,200 Views, 163 Comments

Crazy, Clever and Cunning - Fresnor



She had been alone for many years without a place to call her own. Luckily she found a place to call home, and even though it wasn't perfect she would do everything she could to make it so. Though she had been warned to avoid these lands

  • ...
9
 163
 4,200

PreviousChapters Next
Hospitals and Summaries

I awaken to some of the worst pain I’ve ever felt in a long time, only beaten by the mental anguish of my mother’s death. I let out a whimper at the feeling of agony while I slowly open my eyes to see where I am. I am a bit relieved to see that I look to be in a hospital and the beeping sound that I now notice makes this even more likely. With my eyes open I can see that there is some sort of metal contraption around my muzzle and with all the pain I try not to make any sudden movements until I find out what is wrong with me. Luckily, with a cautious test to make sure I still can, I find that my magic is still working well enough to do simple things as my reserves are still rather low.

I realize what the thing in my sight is when I realize that my mouth won’t open. Well this is a first for me. I don’t think I’ve ever had my mouth wired shut before. I haven’t had much chance to use my healing spells to fix bones before but I felt that it would be best to wait until I learn what happened to me exactly after I was crushed by the changeling swarm. I carefully stretch my magic out around me to get a feel of the bed as I search for the call button. After a couple false starts I manage to drag the call box into my sight and press it to signal a nurse or doctor.

It takes a while until the door opens and a head pokes in and I’m really surprised that it is neither a nurse nor a doctor but Princess Celestia herself. When she sees that I am awake her head vanishes back out the door for a second before it opens completely letting her make her way inside. “Why is it that whenever we meet there is always some kind of trouble around you? Still I should thank you for keeping my ponies safe, I’ve really been treating you worse than I should have and for that I am sorry.”

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I saw the princess walk through the door, but her thanks and an apology weren’t anywhere near the top of the list. Seeing as I can’t say anything I just blink at her as she levitates that medical chart up where she can read it. “Still you were very lucky that my sister arrived in time and that you made it really obvious as to where you were. Whatever it was you did incapacitated a good number of changelings, many of which ended up on top of where we found you including Chrysalis, which made it much easier to drive them off. We really need to talk about some of these things you have been making sometime.”

I really have a problem trying to decipher her emotions though she doesn’t seem to be holding in any anger like the last times I met her. She finishes flipping through the charts and I start to wonder why she is here and not a doctor. “I do wonder what you were thinking at the time especially with how badly you were injured by it all. A broken jaw, every rib cracked if not broken, fractured bones in your left forelimb and both hind legs. That’s all on top of the various muscle injuries though somehow your internal organs are fine.”

I refrain from wincing as she lists everything off but I’m thankful for an idea of what’s wrong. “Still, considering what you were out here for in the first place you and Twilight did rather well with what little warning you had. The changelings attacked a large number of cities all at once though the majority of them were here so it was a stroke of luck that you were all nearby. Canterlot was also completely ignored by the changelings as well so the guards Twilight took with her were better here than there.”

I was a bit worried about if Ponyville was one of the places hit as well as how well Twilight and the others were doing. I wonder how to let her know my concerns with my jaw wired shut but luckily that was the next thing she talked about. “I heard from the guards that it was thanks to you that they got Twilight to safety after she was hit. She’s still being treated here as well for her own injuries though they aren’t as bad as yours. Your other friends came through everything fine, though Rainbow Dash strained her wings getting to Canterlot and back in record time. Ponyville was also one of the places hit, but that swarm there was really disorganized so it was driven off easily enough. You’ll have to hear how when you get back as it’s quite a story.”

I am relieved to hear that the others are fine, though the bit about Ponyville worries me a bit. Still it’s a relief to hear that they are all doing fine which means that the ponies from the changeling caverns should have been brought here as well. I hear the door opening again and the head of a guard peek in and get the attention of Celestia. “Well it seems I am needed elsewhere for something. I’ll let the medical staff and others know that you are awake though. There are a large number of ponies that were brought in so the doctors and nurses are really busy right now.”

With that the Princess nods as she leaves me to myself in the room. With her gone and nobody to distract me I focus on the injuries in my jaw and gather my energy. I’m not sure how much I’ll need as I haven’t had the chance to heal bones yet but it’ll at least be enough to practice with at least. I carefully feel around my jaw with my magic to try and get a feel for what all is wrong with it and am relieved to find that there is only one break which being held together by the wires.

Slowly I start to feed energy into the bones as I shape the spell to encourage them to fuse back together and heal. The going is much easier than I expected, especially as it’s usually harder to use healing spells on myself than normal. Soon enough I finish with the healing to realize what the drawback of the spell is as I am physically exhausted as well as feeling as if I hadn’t eaten in days. I am so focused on what I am doing that I don’t notice that I’m no longer alone in the room until they clear their throat. My attention is pulled away and I notice that one of the unicorn doctors had arrived and was looking at me strangely.

“Well you already look like you are going to be as bad as certain unicorns and alicorns I’ve already had to deal with today. Can’t move around so you decide to start doing whatever you wish to with your magic without bothering to check with a doctor.” I raise an eyebrow at his behavior which is vastly different from what it was like in Ponyville. Still after his comment he quickly moves on and does his job really efficiently but with little warmth. I just sit and watch as he looks over my charts while casting a spell to scan over my injuries. After a few seconds he looks a bit confused as he looks between me and the charts.

“This is odd. It says here that your jaw is broken but there appears to be nothing wrong with it now.” He starts to remove the device on my mouth as he mutters while looking confused. “It’s not like them to do something like this for no reason, and even if your teeth are a bit threatening that’s still no reason to do this.” Soon enough the entire device had been removed from my muzzle allowing me to flex my jaw again to remove the stiffness from it. Doing so revealed yet another drawback of the healing as the stiffness is much worse than I’ve felt before.

The doctor was about to leave until I start to speak now that I could. “Those charts weren’t quite wrong when they mentioned my jaw injury. The spell I was casting was a variant of a healing spell I know, though it does have a few drawbacks I’ve found now.” The doctor looks a bit exasperated as I say this and rubs his temple with a hoof. “Well there’s a good enough reason to wire your jaw shut. You only have to say one thing and I’m already getting a headache. May I ask what these drawbacks are or should I just guess?”

He soon gets part of the answer as my stomach practically roars at him which actually draws a chuckle from him. “Uh, yeah. There’s that as well as a bit of physical weakness and heightened soreness of the affected area. This is actually the first chance for me to use this spell in such a way though it’s not like I have much of a chance to get injured to this extent to practice.” The doctor is once again rubbing his temples as he starts shaking his head before leaving the room muttering. “I really shouldn’t have removed the wires around her muzzle, she’s even worse than unicorns and alicorns.”

I chuckle a little as he leaves though soon regret it as pain shoots through my chest. I do my best to ignore it for now as I had probably done enough possible damage from the one healing spell to not want to risk any more for now. I resign myself to just lay there in silence until they decide to check on me again or send food but the flash of pink I spot in the corner of my eye changes that perception. “I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that you are the first one to visit me Pinkie.” I see what I now identify as her tail jump upwards a bit at being called out before it vanishes into her hiding place and I soon hear the front door open and close quickly which is her leaving the room I assume.

I am soon proven right as she bounces back into the room as if nothing happens followed by the other five and, surprisingly, Trixie. I look over them as they enter and I am glad to note that most of them seem uninjured. The three involved in the city defense are the exception as I note multiple bandages on Applejack indicating various cuts and Rainbow Dash’s wings are wrapped from the muscle strain of her efforts to get to Canterlot and back. Twilight looks to have been through the most as not only is one of her wings bandaged but she also sports bandages around her chest and head as well.

“It’s good to see you awake again Flarenza. I should yell at you for being reckless but things would have been much worse if you didn’t show up.” Twilights sounds both annoyed and grateful while the others display various emotions as well. “Well would I really be me if I kept out of trouble? Not like any of you are any different when it comes to trouble and you think you can do something to help.” Few of them want to keep make eye contact with me considering how true this is, the exception being Pinkie Pie.

Looking at the curly-haired menace I am reminded of something else. “Hey Pinkie, do you happen to have anything to snack on? Healing spells make me kind of hungry.” As I say this my stomach lets out another roar which startles the others and sends Fluttershy for cover. As predicted I soon have a fresh cupcake in front of me from Pinkie’s seemingly limitless supply. While I take the time to nibble on it the others catch me up a bit on what I missed while I was out. We are interrupted as a nurse wheels in a cart loaded with food who stops when she realizes how many are in the room.

Twilight talks with her and has her go and bring in some more food for everyone while the others cluster around. Fluttershy takes interest in the medical chart which I don’t mind as much as she probably is better suited to deal with my injuries than the doctors here. My attention is grabbed by Trixie as she shuffles forward. “Trixie-um, I want to thank you for rescuing me. It’s still strange to me that others will do so much for me after what I did to others.” I can see that she hasn’t fully recovered from her ordeal yet but she seems to be doing fine still.

“It’s fine Trixie, you should know by now that friends stick together. Any of them would say the same thing if you ask.” I nod towards the others in the room and the ones that heard the conversation nod and smile. “Of course darling, sure we may have had or differences but these last few years we’ve really gotten to know the real you instead of that horrid act you push for your show.” The others join in in reassuring Trixie while the nurse rolls in another cart of food.

It’s surprising that things don’t devolve into a party with Pinkie around but she has been a bit better about knowing when to throw a party lately. Who knows how long things would have gone if Princess Celestia didn’t return to break things up for the night. After they left she inquired into my research and extracted a promise to not let it out to the public without it being checked over by a princess first. It was easy to do this for her as much of it was for personal use only and the only thing I was sharing was already going through Twilight and Cadance.

The next day the others were heading back to Ponyville, and with a bit of persuasion I was on the way back with them under strict watch by Fluttershy and Trixie. They were able to get a few chariots together for us to get back quickly and safely. From my position I could only see out the back but I knew something was wrong from how the others in the chariot gasp as we approach. As we pass over I am able to see what they saw as I see scorch marks on the ground and buildings that we pass. As we pass out of town towards my home I notice a pattern to the damage with Trixie’s wagon at the center.

Taking in what I saw as well as the little information I got from Celestia there is only one conclusion that seems possible but is frankly a bit scary. “Why do I get the feeling that the Cutie Mark Crusaders are responsible for this and it happened during the changeling attacks?” Trixie and Fluttershy, the only ones sharing the chariot with me, both turn to me in shock when I say this. “Um, I know that they can be a bit of a handful but don’t you think that’s a bit unlikely?” Fluttershy may say this but looks a bit unsure over her words.

I just shake my head at how much they want to try and not see how dangerous the three, well four now, can be seeing as I’ve seen Applebloom building siege weapons for some of their crusades. Soon enough we land at my home and the two get out and retrieve the cloud that is thankfully still where I left it. I’m a bit amused as I watch Fluttershy try to push the cloud over to me but her pegasi magic prevents her from being able to interact with it. Eventually she gives up and let’s Trixie push it over to the chariot and carefully moves me over onto it.

Once I settle onto the cloud I notice how much the harder surfaces irritate my injuries. I try to push the cloud around with my magic but it’s nowhere near that simple as it doesn’t even twitch. I make a note to research and practice different ways to move it while waiting for Trixie to drag it inside. Once there we find the Crusaders and Umbra seated for a meal and they look surprised to see us and especially the state I’m in. After reassuring them that I’m fine I am brought up to my room so I can rest up after the long day.

The next day everyone sat down for a small Pinkie party so everyone can catch up on what happened. As I thought the Crusaders had gotten into Trixie’s wagon while we were out in another attempt at their cutie marks. It only just happened that the changelings scheduled to attack the town were on the way in when they somehow set of every firework in the wagon at the same time. That combined with the confusion of their leadership already being captured threw the group into a panic and an eventual retreat. Most of the town didn’t even have time to react with all this happening and just stared in horror as this all happened.

Umbra and the Crusaders in turn learned about what happened in Manehatten as well as my little adventure in the changeling hive. The story took longer than it should have when Twilight heard about the things I did and wanted to know more but my injuries made it impossible to go to deep into that for now. Eventually the whole story got out and Apple Bloom was reassured that her cousin was fine as that was where Applejack was while Twilight was organizing the rest of the city. My part earned in the city defense earned a few interesting looks, as well as more promises regarding my research and fireworks mostly to keep them out of the Crusaders’ hooves.

It was a good thing this happened right before winter time as it gave me plenty of time to recover from my injuries. While I was immobilized for most of it I was able to get plenty of practice moving my cloud around and was able to get it to move at a respectable pace. It did earn some odd looks from the pegasi around town especially when they learned that they couldn’t touch it though just about all of them tried at least once.

By the time that year’s Winter Wrap-Up came around I was once again recovered enough to resume my old activities again. I avoided going out into the Everfree for a while as I had already mapped out everything within a few days journey and wanted to be sure I was fully healed before going too deep into the place. This gave me plenty of time to watch after the Crusaders and keep them out of trouble especially when the others were away for the Equestria Games qualifiers and Discord’s little sick routine.

I was very careful about what I taught them during this time as they always managed to cause some sort of trouble with the knowledge I gave them. This led Twilight to try and rein them in with her own lessons that they took to pretty well but even then managed to cause a ruckus. I do wonder how the disguises they had to wear for a couple weeks work as they should have attracted more attention than not having them.

Things were rather interesting for a few days when one of Pinkie’s sisters came to visit her. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I heard about this but the reality was both surprising and not-so-surprising. Considering her relation to Pinkie I was expecting someone really odd but being a complete opposite personality-wise wasn’t what I would have expected. I did actually get along with her pretty well as her talent with rocks also included many kinds of gemstones as well. With a bit of trading and enchanting services I was able to acquire a few stones that are a bit harder to find in this area as well as a few good business contacts.

The Crusaders weren’t the only ones to have lessons pushed on them by Twilight but at least they took to them pretty well. For some reason when she learned that Rainbow Dash had a written test for the Wonderbolts she felt the need to try and push her into studying. This caused a good amount of arguing back and forth and it took Rainbow Dash dragging her up to her cloud house to show Twilight the collection of Wonderbolts merchandise she owned which included every book written about them including some rarer ones that they didn’t want to get out. Needless to say she passed the test easily thanks to her little obsession.

Despite Twilight’s reluctance over being made a princess she sure did well with the things she was sent to do. Her being sent to represent the four princesses at some sort of exchange fair, her cleanup after Rarity’s little fashion improvement spree, as well as her small part at the Equestria games turned out fairly well. She still had a habit of looking for one of the other three when someone addressed her by ‘Princess’ but I saw that as a good thing considering the attitudes of many nobles I had met before.

Of course with how smoothly things were going it was only a matter of time until something major happened again. The short period of relative quiet ended when ponies started losing their magic.

Author's Note:

Yeah I'm starting to run low on ideas right now so things just ran a bit quickly at the end. Just as a note episodes 12, 13, 14, 16, and 17 were cut for various reasons and episode 21 turned out differently as summarized. As of now I only see 2 chapters, maybe 3, left to go before Book 1 is complete. I might come back at a future time to add more if ideas come up later but most of the ideas I have for now are mostly for Books 2 and 3. As usual please leave anything you'd like to know in the comments and especially make note of any typos I missed please.

PreviousChapters Next