• Published 29th Mar 2014
  • 4,200 Views, 163 Comments

Crazy, Clever and Cunning - Fresnor



She had been alone for many years without a place to call her own. Luckily she found a place to call home, and even though it wasn't perfect she would do everything she could to make it so. Though she had been warned to avoid these lands

  • ...
9
 163
 4,200

PreviousChapters Next
A Sunny End

When Trixie finally woke up she was very appreciative with what was done for her and she readily agreed to the deal I offered. As a test run, as well as to apologize to the town, I got her to do a couple small shows for the school and hospital to get her back into her work again. While they were very wary of her after what had just happened things turned out pretty well. Having Twilight along just to keep an eye on things helped put their minds at ease as well.

Soon she was on her was to attempt to make amends elsewhere and begin her whole new and improved show. I gave her a copy of all the notes I made on fireworks and even a couple new spells she could work into her show. To her surprise Twilight even had a book to help her increase her skills as well, to show that there were no hard feelings. Even though she denied it I saw a couple tears roll down Trixie’s cheek as she rolled off again in her wagon.

I really hoped that she would think more on what she had been doing as I wasn’t lying to her about the lack of entertainment. Most of anything that showed up in Ponyville was because of the six Element Bearers and their relationship with the Princess. Because of that she should actually be welcome more in the smaller towns and could even do other things as well, especially to towns not connected to the train network yet.

Still it would take time to see if she actually changes but seeing as she apologized without being made to there was some hope. She would be back sometime though as there couldn’t be many places that could fix her wagon, and the enchantments put into it aren’t easy ones to copy either. Of course if she does return she might have to worry about Pinkie Pie as I don’t think she was able to throw a party for her yet.

Cleanup around the recent fun was actually pretty minimal for what usually happens. Since I wasn’t needed to help I spent my time getting things prepared for Luna’s visit this next new moon. Apparently I received a letter from her while I was gone and we would be dealing with the town then, as well as the two innocents in it. I wasn’t sure what was going to happen to them exactly, but whatever it was I knew that at least Ruby would finally be able to rest as there was probably nothing that could help her other than helping her sister.

I asked Selene if she would want to see Luna when she arrived, but she still wasn’t ready for that, even though she did send off her first reply to her letters. I was glad to at least see her making progress and I considered introducing her to the last two of the six in town.

My preparations for Luna’s arrival were completed quickly as I mostly just had to refill what I ran out of while at the Crystal Empire. I wasn’t sure what I would need so I just packed everything since the town was so close. It would have been nice to have details on what we were going to do, but the princess must have reasons for not doing so.

I spent time talking with Selene about how she was doing around town while I was gone. She had been going out more often and was starting to meet others but she was still very shy. The Crusaders had tried to get her to go on a camping trip with them around the new moon, but since Rainbow Dash was going as well she declined. It wasn’t her fear that caused her to decline though, but I think more that she was still intimidated by what she saw of her and wanted me with when she meets her.

Soon enough the time came for the day of the Princess’s arrival. It was really early in the day when she showed up which hinted at things possibly taking a while. She nodded to me and looked towards my house before we took off towards Sunny Town. I looked back to see what she was looking for, but didn’t see anything until I caught site of Selene peeking out a window.

It actually felt weird walking with Princess Luna through the Everfree Forest. I didn’t see any guards arrive with her, but I was sure there were probably some around. Soon enough we reached the edge of my territory and came within sight of the town. I couldn’t sense Ruby anywhere nearby yet, but we still stopped before going any further.

“So what are we going to do out here, and how shall we go about it? This is the edge of where those in the town can reach on this side. Also I’m not sensing Ruby anywhere nearby and I assume you want to see her.” The princess looks down at me and nods before pulling out a pair of large bags from her saddlebags she was carrying. “Yes, I do want to speak with her before we go into town if possible. First we need to encircle the town with what is in these to keep the magic contained within the area. Then we will enter the town and deal with what comes as we go to this Mitta you told me of.”

I look into the bag she passes me and see that it is filled with a white substance I thought to be salt. I am surprised to find that it is really some kind of powdered gemstone instead making me wonder the cost of the bags. I just nod and start going clockwise around the town while she went in the other direction.

It took a while for us to meet on the other side of the town as it was much larger than I thought. I never thought to see how large the town was, but it seemed as if it was about a third of the size of Ponyville. Thinking over the issue it made some sense as there seemed to only be earth ponies in Sunny Town so there was a good portion of the Equestrian population not involved in the place.

As we approached the other end of the town I saw Luna walking along with Ruby at her side. They seemed to be talking quietly and I think I even saw what looked like tears in Luna’s eyes. I was able to stop a distance away as my bags had ran out of powder and allowed Luna to approach at a pace to allow her to get control of herself.

Soon enough Luna nodded to Ruby who took off towards the town while she approached me. The look on her face was back to what it was when we first arrived, yet I could see a hint of anger now. “There, now that we have done this we can enter the town and deal with things there. Lead me to where Mitta is being kept at once.” I’m not sure what she heard from Ruby, but I could tell it wasn’t good so I just nodded and did as she asked.

Since we were on the opposite end of town from where she was kept it means we had to pass a good many of the ponies living there. A few glanced at me and turned back to what they were doing as I looked mostly like a large fox, but when they saw Princess Luna their response was vastly different. Most of them just stared at her, but I saw a few run into their homes or break down whimpering.

I wonder why they are reacting like that to her. If they are locked in time like I was told they shouldn’t be like that, though I don’t know what Luna was like back then. Maybe she was lacking a cutie mark at the time or just never showed up in the town? I ponder this as we move through the town towards our destination.

Soon enough we arrive at the home that Mitta is locked in to see the pony that is guarding the place. Before I could say anything or go get the ruby Luna just grabbed him in her magic and tossed him to the side before blasting the door open. There are many gasps from the nearby ponies at her actions, yet none of them even think to try to challenge or stop her.

At this point Luna barges in ahead of me so I just turn to look at the ponies around the area. A mare looks to be helping the stallion that was thrown, though he looks a bit dazed after colliding with a wall. None of the others are approaching, though I can see anger in the eyes of one stallion, and from his colors I assume that this is Grey Hoof, who seems to be the leader of the town.

I was really wary of being in the town like this knowing that they are all really zombies, but at least they weren’t the worst kind I had seen. I turn and enter the building while throwing up a barrier as I pass the doorway. I find Luna and Mitta conversing with each other and at the sight of tears between them I decide to stay back to give them privacy.

Even from where I wait I catch the occasional word or two, and what little I hear makes me remember what I had guessed happened to Mitta hear. It sounded like they really did hurt her when she opposed the will of the town. I even catch a couple things that make me cringe and wonder how she could have lasted so long.

Soon enough they finish talking and Luna approaches me, followed closely by Mitta. “Now we head to where I first placed the curse upon this town, to where poor Ruby was killed and hidden.” I see Mitta shudder at this but she still follows along behind Luna as I lead the way. Unfortunately when the ponies see us accompanied by Mitta we are accosted by Grey Hoof.

“And where do you think you are taking that thing? Until she stops trying to subvert others in this town she is to be confined in her home.” I can see a hint of red in his eyes and at his words I realize that he probably also remembers what had been going on. Out of the corner of my eye I can see Luna about to respond but I decide to take matters into my own paws.

I bring up my tails and start charging the banishing spell between them causing the surrounding ponies to gasp at my display. His eyes widen at my display and he was about to run but I unleashed the spell before he could do anything. I knew it wouldn’t do much other than knock him away and piss him off, but the impact with a nearby wall did manage to knock him out.

I turn to Luna who was looking at me with a raised eyebrow. “What? I had wanted to do that for a while now and he pissed me off. Not like the spell was going to do anything to him anyways.” I think Luna was about to say something but she just shook her head before continuing on again. None of the other ponies wanted to interrupt us after that display, and their looks of fear were now on me instead of Luna which I was fine with.

We soon arrive at the rundown home where this entire situation began. Inside we found Ruby waiting who started bouncing at the sight of Mitta who was also surprised to see her sister. Mitta rushes past me and Luna, and I cast a spell on her when I realize what she is about. She soon grabs her sister up in a hug and begins crying and apologizing to her. Ruby looks surprised at the contact, but when she sees me wink at her she mouths a ‘thank you’ to me before embracing her sister.

Luna looks between the sisters and me with look of surprise as well as something else. “I see you know a few other tricks aside from what you found in my old books. Still we need to talk about what is to be done once the sun leaves the sky.” I nod as we move to the side of the room opposite the sisters and take a seat. “Of course, though if we have to wait that long then it’s probably a good thing I did what I did earlier. I believe that Grey Hoof, the one I blasted, know exactly what has happened to the town and would probably interfere if he knows what we are about.”

Luna’s eyes widen at this information before narrowing in anger. “If that is indeed so then your job is even more important. The spells I must cast will take all of my concentration and you will need to defend this house until I am finished. If you can’t hold them back then the spell on this town will completely collapse, leaving Equestria in danger of being attacked from it.”

My eyebrows rise at this as I had not realized how dangerous and complicated things would be. The curse was definitely not put into place well if attempting to remove it and failing was that dangerous. “Well it’s a good thing I brought my things with me then, though keeping them out shouldn’t be that hard as long as things don’t take too long. Too bad I can’t access my home from here or else I could hold them off for days.”

Luna seems surprised about this revelation but nods as she begins her preparations for nightfall. Luckily she just needs the area near the fireplace so I use the center of the building to draw out my own magic circle. I make it so that it amplifies my power as well as channels in a second spell into the first one I will be casting so that I am burdened only by casting one spell and providing power for the second instead of casting two with the power needed.

I even fortify the circle more with a few rubies and sapphires to channel their energy into the spell as well. I finish my work soon enough and take a short nap since there are still a few hours until night. I awaken to find Luna examining my work, though she seems to look more closely at the gems. “I had heard about these from Lieutenant Rose, but I didn’t realize how well made they were. If every guard had these in their armor they would be much safer.”

I chuckle at her which grabs diverts her attention back to me. “I was actually starting to wonder if she showed those off or not. I wasn’t willing to let them out of my paws to just anybody so I was hoping that you, your sister, or a high ranked guard would notice them. They work better with a unicorn to charge them, but even stopping a single blow or spell can save a life.”

She chuckles herself at this. “Yes, we had heard mention of what they could do but didn’t check closely enough about it. It does explain how she was able to win some of her practice bouts with other guards as the enchantments already on the armor wouldn’t have been strong enough. But come, night is almost upon us and we can discuss that another time.”

I look outside and see that the sky is darkening so I take my place in the center of my circle. After making sure that everything is prepared I wait for the signal from Luna on when to begin. She calls over both Ruby and Mitta to her side of the room and talks with them in a low voice. I can see them both nodding, but I can see tears on Mitta’s face and wonder what will be done about them.

Soon enough a horrid scream can be heard from the town and Luna nods to me. At this sign I activate the circle and throw up a barrier around the entire building, with a second one centered on the inside so that it covers just us on the inside. The barriers glow a different color than usual as I channel the banishment spell into it allowing the bell to repel or even destroy undead.

At my nod back to Luna she turns to Mitta who had changed from her normal form into her zombie form. In this form I could actually see some of the damage that was done to her as it seems to not heal as well as her normal form. I wince at how many of her bones look to be out of place and her jaw is entirely missing.

Luna starts her spell as I feel the impact of the first zombies from town hit my shield. I sense them being hurled back, but there was one that felt different from the others though I couldn’t move to see why. Of course after they were repelled the cries got even worse as the spell only angered them more. I just lay there and watch Luna as there wasn’t anything else to do other than channel my energy.

I notice that her first spell was directed at Mitta and my jaw dropped open as a ring of energy started traveling up one of her hind legs. Where it passed the zombie flesh dissolved to be replaced by the healthy look of her original form. The progress was slow, but after what felt like an hour she finally looked like a normal young earth pony again. She then collapses where she was standing into unconsciousness. I wanted to help her, but I never realized that this would be a possible result. If Luna is this strong a couple years after being drained of all power, what is her sister like?

I could start to feel a bit of strain from holding up the shield, and decided to drop the outer one as it was being hit from all sides and the smaller one would mean less space to attack. “I’m dropping the outer shield now, I can maybe get another hour with it up, but less can hit the smaller one so I can hold it longer.” Luna just nods at me as she starts in on her second spell of the night, looking wearied from the first. This one is directed at the bones in the fireplace where I thought the curse originated.

With the outer barrier gone the zombies and skeletons started swarming in through every opening they could. I was able to identify the strange feeling I had before as I felt it again when a skeletal pony rammed into the shield. When it came into contact it just collapsed into dust instead of being repelled. They must not be fully bound to this place so the spell can actually free them.

I actually take heart in that fact as I watch them try and break through. I just watch them all try to break through and I soon notice one with hate burning in its eyes. I assume that it was the one known as Grey Hoof so I let out a big yawn at him and try to look bored. I’m pretty sure I was right as he looks even angrier at that and starts throwing himself at the shield even harder than before.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see the bones Luna was casting on start to vanish one by one, until an hour later only the skull was left. At this point Grey Hoof started to look desperate as he began having the zombies try to collapse the building around us. I just watched, unimpressed, which really seemed to unnerve him. I had planned for this eventuality so I just waited for him to do all the work to save me energy that would have been used to try and stop him.

Soon enough the building started to fall apart and he looked triumphant until I just smiled at him. I then exerted my powers to rapidly expand my shield, knocking all the undead and the building away in a small explosion of force. Once I had done that I contracted it again and looked as the undead started picking themselves up again, though many had trouble due to injured limbs. The number skeletal ponies seemed to have plummeted as well from that.

Doing that had drained a good amount of my remaining power, and I was starting to wonder if I made a mistake until I saw the skull shatter and a ball of energy start to expand rapidly from where it was. Grey Hoof’s eyes widened at this, but before he could scream the ball expanded enough to engulf him and he dissolved into nothing. The same happened to all the other ponies that it hit, yet they looked more relieved than anything. Soon it covered the entire town before it finally shattered into nothingness, taking with it the remains of all those ponies as well as the buildings of the town.

Seeing as we had finally ended the curse I dropped my barrier and brought up a light so we could see. Luna had fallen to her knees as the spell had drained her, and even her mane seemed to not be as ethereal as before. “It is done, the town is finally gone, but what to do with what remains.” She turns to looks at Ruby and Mitta, and the former steps forward. “Thank you both for finally freeing my sister. She already knows that she won’t see me again since I can finally move on, but please find somewhere where she can start anew and find those she can love.”

Luna was about to answer but I interrupted with a flash of inspiration that came to me. “I think I know the perfect ponies that would take her in, and even if they don’t she can stay with me until she finds somewhere. I’m pretty sure they will agree though as they owe her a debt of gratitude and they will most likely treat her like family as well.” Luna looks at me oddly until her eyes widen in understanding and nods. “Yes, the Apple family probably would be a good place for her since she already knows one of them.”

Ruby just smiles and begins to fade away. “Thank you, and goodbye.” At this she fades completely from sight leaving nothing behind. I was about to ask Luna what we should do now, but am interrupted as a group of thestrals fly into the clearing we are now in. I recognize Umbra Rose, who currently is in armor, so I assume this is Luna’s guard contingent. They brought with them Luna’s chariot so we load Mitta on it and fly back to my home.

Once there we bring Mitta in and set her in a spare guest room so she can rest until tomorrow when we can talk. It would be a couple days, as Applejack was out, but once she returned I would escort her over. I left out a note for Pinkie Pie to find, as I knew she would show up sometime, so that she waited on the party until then. Once I had done that I brought out some drinks and snacks for Princess Luna and her guards, and we talked until they finally had to leave.

Author's Note:

Finally the threat of Sunny Town is gone, but what to do with the lone survivor. I couldn't think of a good song for this chapter, so I threw something that at least partially fits. If anyone can think of a better one let me know and I'll check it out. Hmm, I really wonder how Mitta will react to Pinkie Pie since the Sunny Town party planner was pretty much running things there?

PreviousChapters Next