• Published 29th Mar 2014
  • 4,200 Views, 163 Comments

Crazy, Clever and Cunning - Fresnor



She had been alone for many years without a place to call her own. Luckily she found a place to call home, and even though it wasn't perfect she would do everything she could to make it so. Though she had been warned to avoid these lands

  • ...
9
 163
 4,200

PreviousChapters Next
Crusaders and the Panicked Alicorn

After tucking Selene into her bed I decided to plan out some damage control as the town was sure to know her secret quickly now that it was out. Letting the Crusaders run off without saying anything was probably a bad idea as they were sure to talk to some pony that would spread the word. My thoughts were soon interrupted by the sound of snickering which turned into outright laughter coming from Umbra who was returning from wherever she was. I just turned and glared at her until she got it out of her system while wondering what was so funny.

“What in the world happened to you? You get in a fight with a rainbow or something?” I look at myself and realize that I had forgotten about the effects from the explosion that colored my fur in many pastel hues. “Ahh, I had forgotten about that. It’s nothing to worry about, just almost blowing myself up while working on a new firework as well as some magical overload in the area.” I make a note to clean up before getting anything else done as I turn back to the thestral.

“Of course that also leads to a small problem with Selene as the area had so much magic pouring out of it that it overloaded the gems hiding her while in front of her friends as well as the six Element Bearers.” Her eyes widen at the implications of this as I continue. “The Crusaders seem to have taken everything in stride, though they must not have said anything to Selene about it, and I think I distracted the others from making any hasty judgments but there are bound to be problems still. I think you might have to officially let them know of your status instead of hiding it unless you have any better ideas.”

She shakes her head at me as she digests this information. “Nothing comes to mind but I should run it by Princess Luna first who I just got done speaking with. It figures something would happen one of the few times I am gone. Do you have any ideas on how to deal with the fallout from others finding out about her now?” This is really the problem as I can easily guess what will happen, especially after the last few odd beings came into town.

“Truthfully I just hope it blows over quickly but will work on getting a few key figures to help out. Of course the Element Bearers are on the list, with Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy most likely to help out right away. The Crusaders would probably divert some of the attention off of who she looks like with some of their usual antics and it will help her out to be seen more with them. I’ll probably talk to Cheerilee tomorrow to let her know about what is going on so she can try to keep the other foals in town calmer. Other than that I think it’s probably time to warn Selene about what to expect as well as why, as well as why she shouldn’t worry.”

My ears perk up as I hear a noise from outside and realize that a certain trio haven’t left yet and were spying on us. Reaching out with my magic towards the door I decide to let them in. “Of course speaking of the Crusaders it seems they haven’t left yet.” As I open the door the three fillies fall in, all looking a bit worried at being caught. “You three might as well go up to her room and wait for her to wake up. She’ll need her friends to calm her down from the panic she is about to go through and you might as well also be there for the talk I was planning anyways. First things first though, I need to wash this gunk out of my fur.”

The last bit brings a chuckle from some of them as we all split up and head where we need to be. After soaking for a while in the tub I realize that the rainbow colors don’t seem to be leaving and I realize that it must be a side-effect of the poison joke in the fireworks. Luckily I keep a few packets of the cure around just in case someone decides to spy through my windows and steps in the flowers under them.

Using my magic to open the cupboard containing them I accidentally use more force than I intended and rip it off its hinges. I just stare blankly at it for a few seconds before I realize that my magic levels are a good deal higher than I am used to thanks to the new tail and will probably take some getting used to. Making sure to regulate my powers I grab a packet of the cure and bring it over as I set the cupboard door down to fix later. “Right, that is going to be near the top of the list of things to take care of. I don’t want to be painting the ceiling with food because I reflexively used more magic than I should.”

After I added the packet to my bath I just laid there thinking about what to do next. It was obvious that there were going to be problems concerning Selene’s appearance but beyond the obvious ones I was sure to be missing some. The biggest one would be Celestia’s reaction when she found out about her, which was getting closer with the latest developments. I just hoped Twilight could hold off on letter her know until things were settled a bit better as I really didn’t think her reaction would be all that positive. I wondered how things had been going with Luna and Selene as the Night Princess would probably be her biggest ally with that situation.

I cursed the fact that I had been taking such a passive role in everything Selene was doing. I really never thought much beyond getting her into a safer place to live and helping her get over her fears. The same thing went with Scootaloo as I had pretty much ignored her after giving her a room. I should probably start keeping a better eye on them and at least let them know that if they need help with anything they could ask me.

Looking down I could see that the extra colors had been washed away so I dunked my head under to get the rest. Things were so much simpler when I was on my own as all I need was to just find food and a safe place to sleep. Of course I’m not sure if I could bear the loneliness after meeting my friends here. Of course I am learning new things that I never would have been able to while on the road.

Pulling my head out of the water I hear a shriek which causes me to shake my head. “Well I guess that means Selene woke up and saw the Crusaders. I guess I should head over there and try to explain some things.” Climbing out of the tub and draining it I carefully use my magic to dry off while taking a moment to admire my third tail. It was actually comforting to have earned it back again as I wasn’t sure if it would be possible after casting that spell that caused me to lose it in the first place. It did feel rather odd though and I made note to figure out how to hide it without the side effects of the last spell I used that hid one when I only had two.

Sighing I made my way towards Selene’s room and was met with the sight of her crying while being hugged by all three Crusaders. I just sat and waited for them to finish in silence; which didn’t take long as Scootaloo was the first to notice me who broke away from the others with an embarrassed squeak. The other noticing this turned to look at her and then towards where she was facing and noticed me before they too broke up, but still staying pretty close together.

“Well I guess I should explain everything to you four since the secret is out now. That includes some things I haven’t told Selene but she will need to know since there are going to be those that react a bit poorly.” The four look at me in confusion over the last part wondering what even the young alicorn doesn’t know.

“First thing though I want to say that I am proud of you three for not over-reacting when the illusion failed, none of what I tell you changes who Selene really is beyond what you though she looked like.” I levitate the collar over to examine the gems closely and find that only the diamond is still in good condition, though the enchantment on it is gone, with the other gems sporting deep cracks in them. “The accident I had earlier left a lot of magic floating around that area which overloaded the spells I had set. I was about to call out a warning when I saw how Sweetie Belle was being affected, and no there shouldn’t be anything wrong with you other than that headache you felt.”

The young unicorn was in the process of raising her hoof but quickly dropped it again when I answered her question ahead of time. “The start of all this also happens to be Selene’s earliest memories where she saw Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, as well as the six Element Bearers. That moment, along with her unnatural fear of them all, combined with her having knowledge that she shouldn’t have, specifically Sunny Town, hints at her origins.”

I pause to let them think on this and soon Applebloom speaks up. “What do you mean by her fear of them? She’s been getting along with them just fine from what I can see.” I slowly shake my head. “Well now she has been doing better, but you didn’t see her when she first came into my home and Pinkie Pie popped up out of nowhere. I still don’t know how she got under the couch so fast.” The three Crusaders wince at this, knowing how Pinkie can be, while Selene blushes as she remembers that day.

“The thing is, before that day Selene didn’t even exist.” The four gasp at this as their eyes go wide and Selene gasps out. “What do you mean I didn’t exist? I remember Celestia and Luna being my sisters and disliking me.” I raise an eyebrow as she didn’t say hate like she used to do. “Well it was the events of that day that led to you effectively being born. At least, that’s what the information I have been able to dig up suggests since Princess Luna knew nothing about you when she found out about you.”

I smile a bit when I see the Crusaders move closer to Selene to calm her down as she starts to panic. Sweetie Belle looks thoughtful as she thinks through what I said. “What event are you talking about anyways? I can’t think of a time when all the ponies you mentioned would be together. Well other than that night that they all met.” Applebloom and Scootaloo both look at her in shock as they realize what day she was talking about though Sweetie Belle looks back in confusion. “What? Why are you looking at me like that?”

I chuckle at how the filly is smarter than she realizes. “It is that day exactly when it happened, when the Elements of Harmony were used to purify Nightmare Moon whose appearance Selene shares, though in a smaller and cuter form.” It’s a good thing the Crusaders were there to keep her calm as Selene really looks uncomfortable with this news, though she still blushes at my addition at the end.

“That was the reason why I made the collar so she could hide her appearance, though she did it to hide from the ones she was scared of. The important thing is that she is NOT Nightmare Moon, that was Princess Luna. Something happened that night with the Elements, what I’m not sure though. What I think happened though is that it couldn’t destroy what it took from the Princess so it instead made Selene with it all. That would explain why Princess Luna was so much smaller then, than she is now.”

Selene seems to calm down a bit at the information that she is not a monster, though she still seems a bit unnerved. “Does that mean that Celestia and Luna aren’t really my sisters?” I can see her tear up a bit at this and I ponder how to answer. “Well that really is a difficult thing to answer. It’s really something you should talk with them about, especially Princess Luna. The thing is she might actually want to treat you as a daughter instead of a sister so the decision would be between you two.”

The reactions when they hear this last bit amuse me as the Crusaders’ jaws all drop and Selene’s eyes go wide at this news. I can see she hadn’t thought about her lack of parents at all and she doesn’t know how to take this information. Scootaloo recovers first and asks the question that I was waiting for. “But wait, if it’s true that the Princess is her mother; then who would her father be?”

She seems a bit unnerved at my grin as I remember the reactions last time I mentioned this. “Well it’s obvious that since she was born from both Luna and the Elements of Harmony that the Elements would be the father. So if Rainbow Dash or the others start being mean just be sure to call them Daddy.” The orange pegasus looks like she is going into shock at this while the other two Crusaders giggle at this information. Scootaloo finally does come up with a reply though as she looks a tad grumpy. “Not cool.”

“Okay I may be exaggerating a bit with that, but it is still a possibility considering no one knows how the Elements even work in the first place as they are inconsistent in what they do. Still it’s not like it would be a bad thing really. If those six are technically the daddy, that means you three would also be related to Selene through them, yes you too Scootaloo since you are technically Rainbow Dash’s adopted sister.”

It seems as none of the three had thought of this possibility as they all just stare ate me wide-eyed in shock. They are interrupted though as Selene pulls them all into a hug at the thought of having even more family than she thought. The three soon return the hug as they get ahold of themselves while I wait for them to finish. As they are huddled together I take a moment to look them over closely, especially Selene and Scootaloo as they are in my care.

I only now notice that Scootaloo’s wings are looking bigger on her than when she first arrived. I think back to how much she put away at meals, and especially the times when fish was served. I wonder if her issues with not being able to fly are partially from malnutrition. Fish is supposed to be a big part the diet for a Pegasus, and her being alone like that would have made it near impossible for her to get enough. At the same time I also note how her wings look rather ragged when compared to Fluttershy’s or Rainbow Dash’s, with Selene’s being not much better, and made a note to find information on wing care for them.

Soon enough the four separate from their hug and turn their attention back to me, with Applebloom speaking first. “You said she has been doing better about her fear of everypony, but you haven’t said much about Princess Celestia.” I wince as this is probably the only sore point of all this. “Well I don’t think she even knows about Selene yet unless Princess Luna has said something, and I’ve asked the others not to do so yet either. I was terrified of her myself when I first came to Ponyville as I was warned to avoid her at all costs. Well when I saved Scootaloo she found out about me and wasn’t too thrilled to see me as something happened between her and my kind, what I still don’t know. I’ve been leaving her out until the end since I really don’t know how she will react considering how Selene looks so much like Nightmare Moon does.”

They all wince at the last part and look like they want to argue but can’t come up with anything. I look outside and notice that it is getting rather late now and should try to wrap things up. “There really isn’t much else to say about this unless you have anything else to ask. You three might want to look out for Selene for a while as I expect the reactions from other ponies in town to be a bit overboard. I’m not sure if I could fix the collar anytime soon so you might as well go without it.” Selene looks unsure about this while the other three just nod while trying to look serious.

“Also you’ll have some help as well. Umbra Rose is actually a Lieutenant in the Lunar Guard and was put here by Princess Luna to watch over Selene. She might be in uniform so that should go a long way to keep the town calm, though I still will be heading around to talk to a few ponies myself. Cheerilee will definitely need to be told though from what I hear about her she shouldn’t have too much of a problem I’d think.” I try to think of anything else that they should probably know but draw a blank so I let them ask anything else they need to.

“Will she have to move to Canterlot soon now that others know she is an alicorn?” Sweetie Belle’s question surprises me a bit and I find myself wondering as well. “That is really a good question that should be asked of Princess Luna. She will probably have to go there sometime, but it might be best to ask her to let Selene stay in Ponyville for a few more years. I can’t really see her being happy in Canterlot considering how the nobles there act, and all her friends are here. Even so it’s not that long of a trip from here to Canterlot so visiting in either direction wouldn’t be too terrible.”

From then on there aren’t really any more important questions so things start to wind down as the two non-residents head off home. After cooking up dinner for everyone in the manor I think about what needs to be done tomorrow. Before heading to bed I pull aside Selene and Scootaloo for one last thing. “Just so you two know I’m sorry for ignoring you as much as I have. I really didn’t think much beyond just giving you both a place to live, but know that if you ever need anything you just have to ask. Just make sure it’s within reason.”

I direct the last bit to Scootaloo as I caught a glint in her eye that meant potential trouble. With that said and nothing from them for now I put them both to bed, noticing how bare their rooms are and add that to the list of things to fix.

Author's Note:

Well that chapter took me longer than I thought to get around to writing. Combination of burnout and finals week hitting at the same time. Still it gave me time to come up with a few more ideas to use after one more chapter of boring stuff. One of them takes place before the end of season 3 and will involve undead, though I am undecided on how to deal with it just yet. I have a semi-boring way that doesn't add much, or another idea that may seem a bit contrived but is still kinda cool.

PreviousChapters Next