• Published 8th Feb 2014
  • 2,158 Views, 134 Comments

Wheel in the Sky - LightningBass94



Spike travels to Manehattan in search of Rarity

  • ...
13
 134
 2,158

Alternate Ending: Wheel in the Sky

Author's Note:

WARNING: The beginning of this chapter is exactly like the last one. If you don't want to re-read, skip down to the part where Spike busts into Rarity's apartment. I hope you guys who like happy endings enjoy this ending much better. :pinkiesmile:


Personally, I dislike this ending. Wheel in the Sky was a retelling of my marriage since joining the Navy in a very abstract and symbolic way (Rarity's death, Super Star, and his actions were both symbols, not actual things that happened...at least not in a straightforward way), and my marriage is, without a doubt, over. Therefore, this ending feels like a lie to me, and I will never appreciate it the way I do the rest of the finished story. That being said, I promised some of you a happy ending, and now you're getting a bittersweet ending. It's as much as I'll do to this story. I'm sorry if it turns out not to meet your expectations. :unsuresweetie:

On that note, if you really want to get into the nitty-gritty of the symbolism, I'll discujss it with you in the comments, I told this story in an extremely abstract way. I'm still a poet, even when writing prose. You can take the poet out of the element, but you can't take the element out of the poet.

I snorted as I woke abruptly. A string of drool had escaped my lips, and I lazily wiped it away with the back of my hand. At some point, I must have cried myself to sleep. I gently rubbed the crust from my puffy, sore eyes. Sighing, I leaned back in the chair and stared up at the plain, yellowing ceiling. It was devoid of Spackle, and the cheap paint had begun to peel off the waterlogged wood. I briefly wondered how long I'd been sleeping. Though the curtains were drawn closed, with a turn of my head, I could tell that Celestia's bright sun was low on the distant horizon. It would be night soon. "I've got to make it home, before too long," I muttered to myself, "I can't take this very much longer..."

I stretched and stood from my long-time position in the chair. I took a second to examine it. The red and tan corduroy was faded and ripped in spots. The seat had several cigarette burns scattered across its surface, likely for the very same reason the walls and ceiling had yellowed over the years. There was a small, dingy-looking mini-fridge in the corner of the room, and I eyed it hungrily. I became uncomfortably aware that the last time I'd eaten anything had been on the train, nearly two days ago. My stomach growled incessantly, further encouraging me to satiate my appetite. I stumbled drowsily toward the fridge, crouched down, and opened it.

It was empty. My stomach growled again, insisting I eat. To its credit, the organ was persistent. "I would give anything for some of that stir fry," I thought fleetingly. "I guess I'll just buy something..." Picking up my belongings, I walked out into the orange glow of sunset, noting the second room-key was back in my possession. The door slammed behind me, and I set course for the diner I had visited the day before.


"Things not goin' too well with your lady friend, Hon?" Bonnie asked as she set my plate of pancakes down in front of me and poured me a new cup of coffee. She looked genuinely concerned, and I didn't want to be rude about it, but I didn't much feel like talking at the moment.

I scoffed and took a sip of my freshly poured coffee. "That would be the understatement of the century..."

Bonnie frowned. It seemed she'd formed some sort of attachment to me. She didn't like seeing me upset, and she -once again- decided to take a break to talk to me, sliding into the booth across the table from me. "Why don'cha tell me 'bout it?" The smile she gave me was sad, but obviously genuine. It had the most miraculous effect on me. For some unknown reason, I suddenly felt comfortable. I explained everything; I spilled my guts to this mare I barely knew.

Bonnie kept silent for the most part, barely restraining light gasps at certain events, but when I spelled out the events of the morning, she couldn't help herself any longer. She slammed her hooves to the table and leaned over it to get closer to me, an angry expression plastered to her face for the first time since I had known her. "Why'dja do it, Spike!?" She growled.

I was shocked, to say the least. "W-w-what?" I stammered. "Do what?"

"Why'dja kick her out, Spike!?" Bonnie reiterated, "Mares...we're not the best at expressin' ourselves, but she was jus' tryin' to apologize!" I sat back on the booth with wide eyes, unable to speak between her sentences. "Sure, she got upset when she saw the paper. Sure, she started takin' it out on you, but'cha think she meant it? Right then, she needed some love and care, somethin' she knew you were good for, and you threw her out!" Bonnie shot daggers at me with her eyes. "Go find her right now before she does somethin' stupid!"

I gasped, "B-but my meal!"

"It's on me, now go get your mare!"

I nodded and thanked her silently before I ran out of the diner into the cold night air of Manehattan. In my urgency, I didn't even have time to appreciate how dismal it all was. Bonnie was right. She was going to do something stupid...

"I hope she holds on a little longer..."


My lungs ached from running in the cold, night air. Regardless, I decided to take the stairs. I decided that they would be quicker than the elevator, and I had to get where I was going as soon as possible. I wasn't even sure Rarity had gone back home. For all I knew, she could be on some Celestia-forsaken bridge somewhere. Finally making it to the sixth floor, I slammed open the door to her apartment.

It was quiet, but not silent. All the lights had been turned on. The buzz of electricity was only disturbed by the gentle sobs coming from the bathroom. I ran; I ran past the wreckage in the kitchen, barely gracing it with a passing glance. I ran past the immaculate den before stopping dead in my tracks between the bathroom and the picture of all my friends. I gave a pleading glance at the picture, as if to say, "Please make this all better again," before determinedly pushing through the white door acting as a barrier between...

Between...

This was a mess.

Pill bottles and beauty products strewn about the floor, curtain rod in the bath tub, shattered glass and blood everywhere, and there was Rarity, slumped down on her haunches in the middle of it. She looked defeated. "I...I couldn't do it," She whispered coldly. She gave a dark, sarcastic chuckle. "I'm so pathetic."

"I think you're strong for not doing it," I told her, staring warily at the blood-stained wrist she was holding pressure on with a shaky hoof. Tears dropped from her face and drew pink lines in the stains of her fur.

She scoffed. "Get out of here, Spike. It's not like you really care anymore. You made that all too clear this morning, and I did that to you. I turned you into that, and I deserve whatever I get. Just...go away."

"No."

Now she looked up to meet my eyes for the first time. Hers were bloodshot and red. They looked back and forth between my determined orbs, looking for just a slight break in my unwavering, strong and loving gaze. "W-what?"

"I said 'no'," I said in a matter-of-fact tone. "I'm not leaving, and I'm never letting you try to walk out of my life again."

Her tears began to flow almost imperceptibly faster. "S-Spike...Wh-...Wh- Whaaa!" She let go and dropped to the ground, choking on violent sobs that now came to her hot and wild. I took the two paces I needed to clear the distance and dropped to my knees before her. She wrapped her hooves around my waist in a tight hug, clinging to me for support as she cried into my lap. I never once asked her to stop crying. She needed to let it out, and Bonnie was right; Rarity needed to be loved, and I could always be trusted to deliver.


It took some time, but Rarity finally calmed down. We boarded the train, and as we took our seats, I could see Celestia raising the sun. I looked to Rarity. Her eyes were still red and puffy, and blood still stained one of her forehooves. She was sticking close to me and looked back to me solemnly. "Look, Rarity," I ordered softly, pointing out the window with a kind smile, "It's a brand new day. Everything is going to change. I know it." We had left everything in that apartment; we hadn't looked back. "I don't know where we'll be tomorrow, but as long as that big wheel in the sky keeps on turnin', we'll make it through to the next day."

Comments ( 31 )

Yay... :yay: a happy ending.

4218768 Lol. You're such a schmuck for happy endings. :rainbowlaugh: What about it did you like?

4218927 Well, actually, I liked both endings. :rainbowhuh: I know the original one was the one you had envisioned from the start, but everyone does love a happy ending. :derpytongue2:

4218951 That's true, I suppose. :rainbowkiss:

4218969 That's why I tried to make the epilogue of Voice so upbeat and happy. :applejackunsure: It wasn't exactly what I was planning, but I think everyone enjoyed it just fine. :rainbowwild:

4218978 What did you initially have in mind? :rainbowhuh:

4218984 Kinda the same thing, but told from third person point of view, rather than Leya's point of view. :applejackunsure:

4219046 Ah. I see. I think I do like it the way it is. :rainbowkiss:

4219054 That's what I was going for! :twilightsmile:

Did you see what Bassline said? :applejackunsure:

It was good another job well done

Both endings were great. The Sadder ending was more powerful and this ending while a bit less powerful left me not totally depressed. GJ :pinkiesmile:

4220993
4221202 I'm glad you guys liked it. :pinkiesmile:

I liked both endings, but I liked the sad end better. I don't know, I just like Dark endings. And cliffhanger endings.
Hinty hint hint.

4223899 Lol. You know just how to give me hints that I understand. :rainbowlaugh:

4223962 Yeah. I've been readying for the probable hate-bomb.

4224011 Nah. It says dark in the description, and everyone knows there will be a sequel. Lol.

Hung ?:raritycry: or the Long Ride home? :raritydespair:

As the Train rolled I thought out loud " She's got the worst posable taste in Stalions Like my worst posable taste in Mares" The wheel rolls on.:moustache:

4719966 I'm glad you enjoyed it. :twilightsmile:

Sorry for bringing out the feels. :pinkiesad2:

Don't feel sorry, Like a Spikey Splane book, Good read.
Don't think Rars would do her self-:raritydespair:She's a drama queen not stupid.:raritystarry:

4722136 In my defense on that note, I'm not sure Pinkie would bake Dashie into cupcakes either. :rainbowlaugh::trollestia:

Dashie cupcakes with Rainbow sprinkles??? :pinkiecrazy:Yummy !

I much prefer THIS ending I have NO emotion to ANYONE who ends there life, WILLINGLY. Spineless selfish individuals. I don't care what the reason, there is ALWAYS a better way. there is always SOMEONE who can help.

I like the stories where the characters show REAL maturity ( or lack thereof ). This was a good slice of life, story.

6296035 Thanks. I appreciate it. :pinkiesmile:

Like this ending better other ending can sucking off this ending was so much better I hate it when people make alternate endings Chrisley like 3 of them like one that's like all happy joyful everybody has a nice time then one that's like if he likes it goes and it's nice and it's peaceful but it's still dark and s*** and then there's the one that it's just like s*** hits the fan that it's so dark it makes you tear up like like imagine like Spike becomes a monster and then from like side cut like site like f****** words psychotic that's what does energy become psychotic but like I mentioned he can't control himself so then he goes around you accidentally kill someone or something to protect the Rarity and then they find out and then I like okay let's help him and I can't realize he made a mistake and he's like normal now and he's like fun and then they help him and then on the second one it's like he's like oh I don't f***** up so he goes he's like killing himself or something and he's like I love you cuz his final words like I have always loved you and stuff and s*** and he Fades Away really sad and then the third and the darkest one is like he just finished killing them and heating they look him in the eyes and they're just f****** mad and they're like you're f****** monster and Twilight that's what she's like f****** the s*** out of him and then it's like you're a monster Spike and like she said something so f***** up and he's just like like he's just like his breathing is erratic and he's like cleaning his eyes and she's just looking at him unforgivingly and then it's just f****** and then she like kills them and then he didn't like that and I just want to punch the person who wrote this in the face because it's so bad and its so f****** sad and you just can't like f****** hold emotions in be like your bowling from house and this is your IQ seen like happy than moderately happy words so sweet cuz he's dying and it's just so nice to then just talking s*** hits the fan and I'm using the microphone on my phone to write this like verbally so if she liked it grammatically incorrect I'm sorry but like it's just so much easier to like what's the word I'm looking for express yourself verbally for me at least I mean you can just say what your meaning and so much more emotional because it's just flowing even if the microphone sucks it up but still I guess I'm so happy you changed it because I remember this one story where that happened and it did it played like that with the three scenarios in the final when I almost just f****** cried like Twilight literally just up and killed Spike and like No Remorse at all and I would like I just f****** lost it I couldn't like her I remembered it I was afraid of reading stories because I didn't want something like this to happen again where it was so sad that I almost cried because it was so bad it was it was heart-wrenching LeapPad it's just like oh my God anyway thank you for fixing it within happier ending I was like I didn't want to have to go through another dark and they like that again that story scarred me for life so now like every time I'm reading like a story like this where it's like a very emotional and at the end like like the whole story either going through like this like very like what's the word on can't think of the word its like very young work sucks with your head should I can't think of it while I'm really drawing a blank hit like a it's like when it when it look like when someone makes a really scary story and I like it like it messes with your brain unlike a level that it's just dammit I can't think of the word f*** well I really can't think of the word now anyway I like it messes with your brain on such a deep level that brings out all these emotions and like it so far no alternate ending it was so bad like the only one other time something fake that story written or kind of not story where was the movie it was quick but like I brought it physically made me cry from how bad it was but this thing was thinking making the borderline like his ball and it was so bad it's just like I can't it like I couldn't read stories for a long time because I was afraid that if I read it something that was like messing with your brain because of the such like an emotional level that they made you like it like the person there they can't think straight because it's like something's altering the way they think and it's and it's altering the way they act like it was just so bad that I can't word it did you get the idea that I physically couldn't read because I've ever read a story or would mess with your brain like that I was afraid the ending was going to be so bad it would just call me again and I wouldn't be able to read anything for a while and this comment became drastically long and it doesn't need to be this long and it's probably unreadable because I have f***** up the wording is and I'm stuck here way better and doing thank you good story by the way

7422776 hole lee sheetz! That was... intense. Erm, I'm glad you liked the alternate ending, but I can explain why the original ended in death. The whole story was an abstract metaphor for the final months of my marriage, and the ending was a metaphor for the end of my relationship. It was gone, dead, and I was never getting it back. Shit, this story even has direct quotes from fights I had with my ex-wife. The whole story was a coping mechanism. I don't like the alternate ending, because it's not final enough. It speaks of new hope, a new beginning, and that's just not what happened. Unfortunately, not everything in life gets a fairytale ending.

Btw, you totally like say like a lot, like... you like, know what I mean? :raritywink: Lol. I'm just messing with you.

Who is the artist who made the cover pic? Just curious.......

Login or register to comment