• Published 8th Feb 2014
  • 2,158 Views, 134 Comments

Wheel in the Sky - LightningBass94



Spike travels to Manehattan in search of Rarity

  • ...
13
 134
 2,158

For Tomorrow

The paper fell to my face with an audible slapping sound. I snorted loudly as I woke. My head was killing me, and my body ached all over. Maybe I overdid it a bit last night. I groaned and sat up, allowing the newspaper to fall to my lap. At the very top of the paper in bold letters, it read The Daily Pony. Under that, there was a picture of Super Star's freshly scorched face and a headline, "Rarity Belle is Crazy!" I raised an eyebrow at the paper, fully aware of the glare I was receiving from the mare beside me. I ignored her and read the first few lines of the article.

"Rarity Belle is crazy!" Says local celebrity, Super Star, "She invited me to dinner and assaulted me with a pan!" When asked why, Star only had this to say, "Honestly, I couldn't tell ya'. All I know, is she's absolutely mental! She even had the nerve to hurt herself and try to blame me!" When prompted for more information, Star went on to say-

I stopped reading and threw the paper across the room. "That's horseapples!" I protested. "That abusive douche knows damn well it didn't go down like that!" I turned to Rarity. She was still scowling at me as if I had just punched her sister.

"This is all your fault, you know that!" She growled. "My career is ruined! Do you realize how important Super Star is? That's why I was stuck with him!" She stomped her hoof, standing a step closer to me with it. Stuck with him? Had he been different before? Had she tried to get out of the relationship before? What did he have to gain by being with her? Why had he been blackmailing her? She seemed to have showered while I was sleeping and snuck out to retrieve the paper. Her mane and fur were properly groomed, the same way I remembered them being from so long ago. Her large bruise was already yellow, and the swelling had gone down. It seemed to be healing nicely. I was glad.

I looked on at her with genuine concern for a split second before returning her scowl with one of my own, finally hearing the venom in her words, directed at me. How was any of this my fault? "You're welcome!" I shouted sarcastically. "That stallion would have killed you, eventually, Rarity! What the buck! Is your career really that important to you? What were you thinking being with a guy like that!?" My voice had escalated into a roar as the events of last night ran through my head.

Rarity took a step back, seemingly scared of my anger. That made me angrier. It didn't matter how much she'd been through, she should have known damn well that I would never hurt her. "He wouldn't have killed me! Stop being so melodramatic!" She protested. Her voice remained strong, despite her body language. "That was nothing! It was just a little fight!"

"A little fight!?" I roared incredulously, "Are you serious? Is this how you've been living your life?" My palm connected to the front of my face with a slap and I ran it down the scaly surface until it landed back in my lap. I groaned, frustrated with the entire situation. "You kicked me out, too! You're the bucking element of generosity! This is so unlike you!" A light bulb flickered on in my head. How was this argument even taking place? "Why are you here, anyway?! Why kick me out, just to track me down and yell at me the next morning?! How did you find me, even?"

Rarity gave me a sheepish smile. "I went to the bar, and I found you there. I found the keys on the bar, and they had an address on them..." Why was she so quiet suddenly? No, I didn't care. Not only had she kicked me out, she'd stolen from me.

"Why?" I growled, barely a whisper, I stood up off the bed.

"I-I-" Tears began streaming from her eyes and she collapsed onto the floor. Her body heaved with silent sobs. "I missed you..." She whispered. She had buried her face in her hooves, and it was barely audible through them.

I scoffed. What a poor excuse. "Really? You refuse to write me back for three years, kick me out when I visit and save you, and you wake me up to blame me for all your problems the next day. You expect me to believe, after all that, that you miss me? That may have worked when I was younger, but not anymore! I'm not disposable! You can't just use me when you need me, then toss me away like I was nothing and expect me to crawl back to you! You never cared about me! I loved you, and you treated me like shit!" I paused and took a couple deep breaths. When I spoke the next words, I was eerily calm. "Get out of here, Rarity. Don't come back."

She looked up at me, hurt apparent in her eyes. "Spike, I-"

"Get. The buck. out!" I shouted, pointing a claw at the door.

She slowly stood on shaky legs and walked to the exit. She opened the door, took one step out into the cool, Manehattan morning, and looked back at me. Her eyes held a deep poignancy that made them painful to look at. She shuddered as she took a breath, holding back tears. "Goodbye, Spikey." I rolled my eyes in response, arms crossed across my chest, and she was gone. Out of my room. Out of my life. After several seconds, staring at the door, I sat in the small chair the room provided and turned on the TV.

The news came on, and there was Super Star. "Ruuaagh!" I growled. I turned the TV off and threw the remote across the room. It hit the wall and landed near the newspaper I had thrown earlier that morning. I stared at it with a mixture of anger and longing, just as I would look at Rarity if she were to walk back through the door at that moment. That would never come true. Rarity was gone. She would do exactly as I said and never come back, no matter how bad I wanted her to. "What...what have I done?" I asked myself, a tear falling to my lap from my cheek. I repeated in a whisper, "What have I done?"