• Published 8th Feb 2014
  • 2,159 Views, 134 Comments

Wheel in the Sky - LightningBass94



Spike travels to Manehattan in search of Rarity

  • ...
13
 134
 2,159

A Letter

I snorted as I woke abruptly. A string of drool had escaped my lips, and I lazily wiped it away with the back of my hand. At some point, I must have cried myself to sleep. I gently rubbed the crust from my puffy, sore eyes. Sighing, I leaned back in the chair and stared up at the plain, yellowing ceiling. It was devoid of Spackle, and the cheap paint had begun to peel off the waterlogged wood. I briefly wondered how long I'd been sleeping. Though the curtains were drawn closed, with a turn of my head, I could tell that Celestia's bright sun was low on the distant horizon. It would be night soon. "I've got to make it home, before too long," I muttered to myself, "I can't take this very much longer..."

I stretched and stood from my long-time position in the chair. I took a second to examine it. The red and tan corduroy was faded and ripped in spots. The seat had several cigarette burns scattered across its surface, likely for the very same reason the walls and ceiling had yellowed over the years. There was a small, dingy-looking mini-fridge in the corner of the room, and I eyed it hungrily. I became uncomfortably aware that the last time I'd eaten anything had been on the train, nearly two days ago. My stomach growled incessantly, further encouraging me to satiate my appetite. I stumbled drowsily toward the fridge, crouched down, and opened it.

It was empty. My stomach growled again, insisting I eat. To its credit, the organ was persistent. "I would give anything for some of that stir fry," I thought fleetingly. "I guess I'll just buy something..." Picking up my belongings, I walked out into the orange glow of sunset, noting the second room-key was back in my possession. The door slammed behind me, and I set course for the diner I had visited the day before.


"Things not goin' too well with your lady friend, Hon?" Bonnie asked as she set my plate of pancakes down in front of me and poured me a new cup of coffee. She looked genuinely concerned, and I didn't want to be rude about it, but I didn't much feel like talking at the moment.

I scoffed and took a sip of my freshly poured coffee. "That would be the understatement of the century..."

Bonnie frowned. It seemed she'd formed some sort of attachment to me. She didn't like seeing me upset, and she -once again- decided to take a break to talk to me, sliding into the booth across the table from me. "Why don'cha tell me 'bout it?" The smile she gave me was sad, but obviously genuine. It had the most miraculous effect on me. For some unknown reason, I suddenly felt comfortable. I explained everything; I spilled my guts to this mare I barely knew.

Bonnie kept silent for the most part, barely restraining light gasps at certain events, but when I spelled out the events of the morning, she couldn't help herself any longer. She slammed her hooves to the table and leaned over it to get closer to me, an angry expression plastered to her face for the first time since I had known her. "Why'dja do it, Spike!?" She growled.

I was shocked, to say the least. "W-w-what?" I stammered. "Do what?"

"Why'dja kick her out, Spike!?" Bonnie reiterated, "Mares...we're not the best at expressin' ourselves, but she was jus' tryin' to apologize!" I sat back on the booth with wide eyes, unable to speak between her sentences. "Sure, she got upset when she saw the paper. Sure, she started takin' it out on you, but'cha think she meant it? Right then, she needed some love and care, somethin' she knew you were good for, and you threw her out!" Bonnie shot daggers at me with her eyes. "Go find her right now before she does somethin' stupid!"

I gasped, "B-but my meal!"

"It's on me, now go get your mare!"

I nodded and thanked her silently before I ran out of the diner into the cold night air of Manehattan. In my urgency, I didn't even have time to appreciate how dismal it all was. Bonnie was right. She was going to do something stupid...

"I hope she holds on a little longer..."


My lungs ached from running in the cold, night air. Regardless, I decided to take the stairs. I decided that they would be quicker than the elevator, and I had to get where I was going as soon as possible. I wasn't even sure Rarity had gone back home. For all I knew, she could be on some Celestia-forsaken bridge somewhere. Finally making it to the sixth floor, I slammed open the door to her apartment.

The lights were on, all of them, and the door had been unlocked, but the apartment was dead silent. The soft sounds of my own steps were the only sounds to break the horrible silence. I decided, under the circumstances, to forgo closing the door behind me. There was an eerie, unnatural feeling in the air. It gave me shivers that shook the entire length of my spine.

Steeling my resolve, I had searched through the rooms of the house, one by one. Everything was in the same, pristine condition I remembered it always being in, save for two rooms. The kitchen had not been touched. Evidence of that dreadful night was all around me. The last room I had checked, so far, was the restroom. It was a mess. The shower curtain had been ripped from the rod and was lying in the bottom of the tub. All the items in the medicine cabinet were scattered across the floor; make-up, assorted beauty products, toothpaste. The mirror had been bashed in. Trace amounts of blood were left on the remaining shards.

My eyes made their way down to the sink, where rest of the glass had fallen, accompanied by much more blood and empty pill bottles. Some of the pills had spilled into the sink and onto the floor, but it was clear that most of them had been taken. My heart rate increased and I began hyperventilating. I ran out of the room, frantically following a blood trail I hadn't noticed on the way in. It led me to a door, and I hesitated. This was the door to Rarity's bedroom. There was no telling what I was going to find within, but I eventually decided that, no matter what, my friend needed me.

I opened the door to find Rarity

.....

hanging from the ceiling fan.

My heart stopped, and I fell to my knees. Tears began to well in my eyes, then flowed down my cheeks in two, heavy streams. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. "W-what? No! No, no, NO!" Sobbing, I got to my hands and knees. I began to slowly crawl toward her lifeless body. "I'm sorry!" I cried out, "I was too late! I'm so sorry, Rarity! I'm sorry for everything!" I slammed my face down into the floor below her, and my tears began soaking the white carpet, turning it a light grey. My fist pounded repeatedly into the ground.

"RARITYYYYY!!!!"


It took several hours, but I finally calmed down enough to get up off the floor. I was still on the edge of tears, but I would manage. As I stood, I noticed a piece of paper, neatly folded into thirds, on the edge of her nightstand. Upon further inspection, I found that the upper-most fold read, "Spike," along with a red stain from her lips. Looking up to her face, I discovered her cold, blue lips had, indeed, been painted red. I also discovered she'd been crying when she died. I looked away quickly as I felt the waterworks coming on again. I sat on the edge of the bed and stared down at the letter glumly. "Why me? Why is it addressed only to...me?" Staring at the offending folds bore no answers. I sighed; this was going to be the hardest thing I had ever read, and I knew it. I started to cry again, softly, as I opened the letter.



Dear Spike,

I don't know if you will ever read this, but I need you to know a few things. First, I would like to apologize. I didn't mean what I said this morning, and I regret every word. You saved me, Spike. You didn't deserve to be treated that way. You never have. On that note, you were right. I've always taken you for granted. I hate myself for it, Spike. Seeing you now, and all you have done for me, has made me realize something that may have changed everything had I just realized sooner. I love you, Spike. I always have, and I was too blind to see it.

You have every right to hate me now, Spike. Of all the selfish things I've done to you, this has to be the worst. I completely understand. I hate myself too! I've been so rotten to you and everypony! I deserved everything Super Star did to me, and I deserve this too. This had to happen. That's why you can't stop me, Spike. I took all those pills so that even if you come in here while I'm still writing this, you won't be able to save me. Not again. This is my chance to save you. I wasn't good enough for you. You can't save me. Even now, my vision is growing black. I am in so much pain. I'm dying as I write this...

I want you to do something for me, Spike. Live your life. Live enough for the both of us. Be happy. Find a mare or dragoness that loves you openly and just as much as you love her, because it's important for you to fall in love again. You don't need me, Spike, but you are a gentle dragon. You're easily upset without friends or love in your life. Just...find somepony that makes you happy. Wherever I am...I want to see that smile on your face again. Good bye, Spike.

With Love,

Rarity


After calling the authorities, I left Manehattan. I felt numb. I felt as if the world around me had suddenly stopped moving, yet as I looked out the window of the train car, I saw Celestia was raising the morning sun. No matter what happens in our lives, time moves on, even if we don't move on with it. Rarity's life ended that night, yet that wheel in the sky keeps on turning. If we just follow it, move forward and keep walking, then we will move on too.

Author's Note:

Alright guys, it's finally finished. It's been a crazy ride, but now we're here. If this ending was a little bit too dark for your tastes, then fear not. There will be an alternate ending. So I'm marking this as complete, but there will be more.

I would like to thank FrozenInTime and Surry for prereading this chapter. If not for your input, I don't think I would have actually finished... Your comments were more important than you may think. :heart:

Speaking of comments, please leave one, especially if you liked the story. I love reading what you guys have to say. A lot of the time, reading them is honestly the highlight of my day.