• Published 26th Jan 2014
  • 2,231 Views, 21 Comments

Bon-Bon Meets Lyra's Parents - Duke of Canterlot



Lyra wants Bon-Bon to meet her parents.

  • ...
7
 21
 2,231

The Stamp

Bon-Bon was absolutely terrified. She didn't know what would come of this. Lyra began to laugh hysterically. Lyra's parents were holding back laughter.

"Oh, Bon-Bon", said Lyra with a grin, "you are such a riot!"

"Yes, she seems to be", said Mr. Heartstrings, "what ever led you to shout monkeys like that?"

"Umm.. sorry.. inside joke, I suppose", said Bon-Bon.

"Some inside joke, I barely know what you're talking about", said Lyra patting Bon-Bon on the back.

"Oh, I think I know", said Mrs. Heartstrings quite coolly.

At least it was obvious to some pony, but how would Mrs. Heartstrings put it?

"Please tell us, is it some kind of thing ponies do at Belmont Stakes", asked Mr. Heartstrings.

"Not quite", said Mrs. Heartstrings, "Bon-Bon, why don't you explain it to us?"

Lyra had commented in the past that her mother despised Lyra's obsession with humans. Bon-Bon knew what Mrs. Heartstrings was hoping for, she didn't have a choice it seemed.

"Lyra, you have talked so much about humans that I admittedly got a tad curious. What are humans based on anyway? From the way they look, they certainly weren't fully based on ponies. What animal out there has hands like that, monkeys come awfully close. Human hands were designed by fiction writers to make them useful in using tools for fictional purposes. You are always telling me that humans must exist since they are sentient beings who are so different than ponies. However, there are other animals in the world which closely resemble humans. So basically, from my research, I have determined it's possible that humans are simply a fictional creation of a pony whose favorite animal is likely monkeys. You are so convinced that humans must exist but based on your reasoning, I think monkeys is a good counterargument."

"See, my dear Lyra. Humans do not exist", said Mrs. Heartstrings, "Bon-Bon, you have been a great help tonight."

Bon-Bon could see tears forming in Lyra's eyes. What the hell did Bon-Bon just do? She felt like a weak-willed puppet. Regardless, it was her own damn fault for shouting monkeys in the first place.

"My dear Ruby, may I please speak to you privately", said Mr. Heartstrings quite sternly.

"Certainly, let's talk", said Mrs. Heartstrings.

Lyra's parents left the dining room.

Lyra sniffled.

"Lyra", began Bon-Bon, "I am sorry."

"Why did you say that? In all of the places you could have shouted monkeys, you chose in front of my parents", responded Lyra angrily.

"I don't know. I guess I wasn't thinking clearly and..."

"No, I know what it was. You wanted to look so smart and posh in front of my parents that you knew for certain that humans were never real. My parents both have been trying to get humans out of my system for years."

"Lyra, that makes no sense. Why would I shout "MONKEYS" at the dinner table and not just simply make a comment about humans being made-up."

"I don't know. I suppose you're right, Bon-Bon. You're always right."

"Not true. I mean.. I guess I... was focused on making you laugh and you did so."

"Yea, I know, what you did just came out of nowhere for me."

"Hey Lyra, cheer up."

"I just realized something."

"What's that?"

"My parents... I think I know what they are talking about."

"What about?"

"What if they want me to go back to therapy.. you know... to talk about the humans? I hated that crap. I finally got my dad to tolerate the obsession and my mom couldn't do anything about it after therapy failed, but you.."

"Damn. Lyra, if I knew all of that stuff, I would never have done what I did. I swear though. It's a joke I've been wanting to make for a while. You have to admit, my timing was impeccable. I am just surprised that you never connected humans and monkeys."

Lyra shrugged and said, "Why should I? Sure, I guess they look alike but monkeys aren't sentient like ponies. Your theory is an interesting one which I am sure my parents will treat as gospel but... I suppose all of this will be good for me in the long run."

"It's just one comment on one night, Lyra. I don't think it will affect anything in the long run."

"Yea, but you know what my parents are also probably talking about?"

"What?"

"Whether to give you the Heartstrings stamp of approval."

"I guess I am not getting a stamp of approval, huh."

"I think they will."

"But your mother, she's been so cold to me.. it's like she didn't want me around."

"My mom is a sweet mare. She has just odd ways of testing ponies who come into my life."

"I guess I failed those tests, huh."

"No. To the contrary, you held up quite nicely to my mom."

"Rose-colored glasses, my dear."

Lyra giggled.

"Umm.. Lyra, what would happen if I didn't get the stamp of approval?"

"It wouldn't change too much. Not getting the stamp won't forbid me from dating you, it's just means that my parents won't think you're a good match for me. I don't think it is going to change how I feel about you. I have never met a pony who has made me this happy before."

Bon-Bon felt a little better. Lyra wasn't going to dump her over one little mishap. Bon-Bon still hoped for the stamp of approval though. Things would be a lot tougher if Lyra's parents openly made it clear that they didn't like Bon-Bon. Were they even talking about the stamp of approval? Lyra could have been wrong. What if Bon-Bon did mess things up for Lyra and she would have to go see some therapist again about the humans?

Lyra nuzzled Bon-Bon and said, "Don't worry about me, Bonnie. Whatever happens to me, I can handle it."

"I know, but... I don't think I would be able to handle it."

"Awww.. I love you. You're the best marefriend I could ask for."

"I love you too, Lyra. I don't think I could survive without you."

"No, of course you can, because you're Bon-Bon. You are a lot stronger than you know."

Bon-Bon went in for a kiss. Lyra reciprocated. It was a beautiful and passionate kiss. Bon-Bon never wanted it to stop. If she could keep this kiss going on forever, Bon-Bon would be the happiest pony alive.

Their kiss was interrupted.

"Ms. Bon-Bon, would you please join us for a minute?". It was Mr. Heartstrings.

"Certainly."

"Lyra, are you doing alright?"

"Daddy, I am doing better than alright. With Bon-Bon, I can handle anything!"

Mr. Heartstrings smiled and said, "Come on, Bon-Bon. Lyra, if you like, you could get your lyre to play when we get back."

"Oh certainly", Lyra chirped.

Bon-Bon followed Mr. Heartstrings to the library. She had no clue what things were going to come from this. However, it must have been a good sign if Lyra was told to get her lyre by her father. They joined Mrs. Heartstrings.

"My wife and I have been discussing whether we think you are worthy of our little princess."

"We think you seem to be worthy", said Mrs. Heartstrings, "you clearly are an intelligent and nice young mare. However, we are curious about something. Do you think Lyra is worthy of you?"

What an odd question!

"Of course", replied Bon-Bon without hesitation, "I will admit that I have not known Lyra for very long but I do love spending time with her. I sometimes fear that she is too good for me. She's generous, kind-hearted, inquisitive, and doesn't seem to care about what other ponies think of her."

"You are very mature for your age", commented Mr. Heartstrings, "I would like to thank you for all that you have done for Lyra thus far."

"Huh?"

"It is hard to explain", added Mrs. Heartstrings, "Lyra has more of a glow to her than she's had in years. Lyra never had many friends growing up but now she has you and she's a whole new Lyra."

"We are glad that it seems you are not simply looking to take advantage of our admittedly naïve daughter", said Mr. Heartstrings, "we have admittedly sheltered Lyra more than we probably should."

"She is such an innocent and sweet mare though and the world is a harsh place", said Mrs. Heartstrings. Bon-Bon could swear that it sounded like Lyra's mother was crying.

"Can you be Lyra's protector when we are not there to watch over her ourselves", asked Mr. Heartstrings giving Bon-Bon a warm smile.

Bon-Bon couldn't believe she was hearing all of this from Lyra's parents.

"Thank you.. Mr. and Mrs. Heartstrings. You can count on me as long as Lyra wants me in her life."

"Oh, please. Call me Emerald."

"And you can call me Ruby."

Bon-Bon thought of her own parents: Lemon Drops and Vendor Stable. They would probably never want Lyra to call them by their first names. Lyra's parents were much wealthier but Bon-Bon's parents were much more formal and stuffy by comparison.

"Oh certainly, Emerald and Ruby. Thank you for your kind words. I can't say how honored I am."

"Lyra was right about another thing", said Ruby, "you are going places, big places. She was confident in that regard."

Bon-Bon blushed and said, "Lyra's silly sometimes."

"Our silly little filly", cheered Emerald, "we love and cherish her. So, Bon-Bon. We have decided, if you wish to receive it, to give you the official Heartstrings stamp of approval."

Bon-Bon smiled at them and nodded. She couldn't believe how much she impressed Emerald and Ruby, especially Ruby who started off cold and standoffish.

"Very well, then", said Emerald. Emerald approached Bon-Bon's side. A beam of magic came out of Emerald's horn and the waves bounced onto Bon-Bon's cutie mark on her flank.

"Congratulations, Bon-Bon!", cheered Emerald, "you have received the Heartstrings stamp of approval."

All was good. Bon-Bon hugged Lyra's parents and they went out of the library.

There was Lyra with her lyre talking to Jenkins.

"Lyra, I did it! I got the stamp!"

"I am so happy for you, Bon-Bon!"

The two of them hugged.

"Thank you so much for inviting me over", said Bon-Bon, "I must be the luckiest pony alive."

"Bonnie, I want to meet your parents", chirped Lyra.

"You will meet them one of these days, Lyra."

Whenever that happens. They wouldn't be easy to get to know. But for now, this was definitely the beginning of a beautiful relationship, thought Bon-Bon.

Author's Note:

I hope you all liked it!
I got a lot more Bon-Bon/Lyra stories coming up.
Without spoiling much, one story will focus on GAK.

Comments ( 7 )

... What is GAK? Is it an abbreviation for something? I missed out on that craz...

Comment posted by Duke of Canterlot deleted Feb 2nd, 2014

Alright, now I want, no need a sequel to this.

6113611
Okay. So Lyra did screw up on her info then.:trollestia:

I have a feeling that Bon Bon's parents are going to be very cold towards Lyra.

3884335 DarkDarsi, GAK is this gooey substance that was advertised almost non-stop during the Crystal Empire episodes.

Login or register to comment