• Published 26th Jan 2014
  • 2,232 Views, 21 Comments

Bon-Bon Meets Lyra's Parents - Duke of Canterlot



Lyra wants Bon-Bon to meet her parents.

  • ...
7
 21
 2,232

Meeting Lyra's Parents

Bon-Bon approached Lyra's parents. She was admittedly nervous.

"It is a honor to meet you", said Bon-Bon.

"Likewise", said Lyra's father, "our daughter, Lyra, has only said fantastic things about you."

"Yes, she has", said Lyra's mother. Bon-Bon noticed that there was a bitterness in her tone.

"So what do our cooks have for us tonight", asked Lyra.

Bon-Bon smiled. It made sense that Lyra's parents didn't cook, Lyra was awful at it herself.

"Only the finest fritters in Canterlot", said Lyra's father.

"Mmmmmm", said Lyra while licking her lips, "that's delicious."

"So come on in", said Lyra's father, "we are glad to have you here, Bon-Bon. Our little princess is very wise when it comes to picking friends."

Lyra's mother did not seem as glad.

Bon-Bon took one last look at the exterior of Lyra's mansion. It was possibly the most fantastic residence Bon-Bon had ever seen. Bon-Bon looked to her right and saw that Princess Celestia's castle could be seen from the distance. The castle was perhaps the only residential building which looked more impressive than the Heartstrings mansion.

Bon-Bon walked inside with Lyra, her family, and Jenkins.

The interior of the mansion was even more gorgeous. Bon-Bon noticed the three enormous chandeliers hanging on the ceiling. There was a gold-plated staircase at the entrance. The one thing that Bon-Bon could think of when it came to Lyra's mansion was large.

"Oh my gosh", cheered Lyra to Bon-Bon, "I am so happy that you are finally coming to my house! It almost feels like the next step, huh."

"Yea, I suppose you could say that."

"This has been the Heartstrings mansion for four centuries now", said Jenkins, "it is quite well known in Canterlot."

"Lyra, this is even better than what I could have imagined", said Bon-Bon.

"It's just home for me", Lyra shrugged, "what's your house like?"

"Probably as big as this foyer", Bon-Bon said with a laugh.

"This does not surprise me", said Mrs. Heartstrings.

"Oh my dear, you and your sense of humor", said Mr. Heartstrings patting his wife on the back, "how are you enjoying Canterlot University, Bon-Bon?"

Bon-Bon felt more comfortable, at least it seemed like that Mr. Heartstrings liked her.

"Canterlot has been great so far, just the typical college experience, I imagine."

"What is your house?"

"I am living in Buckingham."

"Good girl. I lived in Buckingham for all four of my years at Canterlot! Splendid indeed. Go Buckingham Bulls!! Yes, brings back so many pleasant memories."

"Daddy, I am now a Buckingham Bull too as of today!"

"I thought you were put in Wilshire."

"Bon-Bon and I are now roommates", Lyra gave Bon-Bon a tight hug. Bon-Bon could see a smile from Mr. Heartstrings and a scowl from Mrs. Heartstrings.

Bon-Bon noted that Lyra looked like her mother but had a personality more like that of her father.

"I will notify the cooks that Ms. Heartstrings and Ms... Bon-Bon?", said Jenkins.

"Bon-Bon is fine, thank you", said Bon-Bon.

"I must know though. Of which family are you a part?"

Bon-Bon knew that none of them would have heard of her mother's or father's family but Jenkins seemed sincerely curious.

"Well, my father is part of the Drops family and my mother is part of the Vendor family."

"Hmmm, I do not think I met anypony from either of those families", said Mrs. Heartstrings, "I have plenty of earth pony friends but none of them are from those families."

"Well, um... they have.. um.. well, I don't think they have ever visited Canterlot."

Bon-Bon saw Lyra give her mother a glare.

"Thank you, Bon-Bon", said Jenkins, "I am sure your parents are very good people."

"I agree", chirped Lyra, "Bon-Bon is the kindest and most hard working pony I have met at the university."

"Rose-colored glasses, my dear", said Mrs. Heartstrings. Oh, for the love of Celestia, why was she giving Bon-Bon such a hard time?

"What would Princess Lyra like for us to do now", asked Mr. Heartstrings.

"Hmmmmm.... I know", cheered Lyra, "let's find out what Bon-Bon wants to do! Bon-Bon?"

Bon-Bon felt awkward being put on the spot but she had to think of something quick and she did.

"I have an idea", said Bon-Bon, "while waiting for dinner to be ready, why don't we look at old pictures of Lyra? I am sure they are adorable."

"What a splendid idea, Bon-Bon", said Mr. Heartstrings, "er... Jenkins, where is the photo album?"

"In the library and in Slot 7B."

"Thank you Jenkins."

"I should go tell the cooks to start up with dinner, cheerio."

Jenkins headed off. Mrs. Heartstrings went off somewhere. Bon-Bon didn't even see her leave. Lyra, Bon-Bon, and Mr. Heartstrings went to the library.

"Dad, I realized something."

"Yes, my princess."

"Wasn't Buckingham a human place?"

"Oh ho ho. It was a human place alright but it was written by ponies"

Lyra pouted at her father.

Bon-Bon wanted to scream "MONKEYS" at that moment but held back. She didn't want to look like a crazy pony.

The three of them got to the library.

"Oh dear, pardon me, I can be a little scatterbrained, I completely forgot where..", began Mr. Heartstrings.

"Slot 7B", finished Bon-Bon.

"Ah yes. Thank you."

Mr. Heartstrings used his magic to retrieve the photo album. It was dark red and the cover had engraved in silver: "Emerald, Ruby, and their daughter Lyra". Bon-Bon guessed that Mr. Heartstrings was Emerald.

Mr. Heartstrings opened to the first page. There were Lyra's parents at their wedding. Bon-Bon was amazed by how much Lyra looked like her mother, except her mother had a crimson red coat versus Lyra's turquoise coat. The two of them looked so happy.

The next few pages were pictures of Lyra as a baby. Not surprisingly, Lyra was absolutely adorable as a baby. She had appeared to have learned magic at an early age. There was a picture of Lyra at two where she used her magic to make a stuffed animal float above her head. Bon-Bon smiled. Lyra looked like such a happy baby. Despite Mrs. Heartstrings' coldness towards Bon-Bon, she looked like an absolutely devoted mother to Lyra. Bon-Bon's parents took a "tough love" approach, in comparison, even when Bon-Bon was a baby.

"We're going to look at your baby pictures next", said Lyra with a devilish grin.

"Nothing exciting about them. Trust me. I was an ugly baby."

"Stop lying to me, Bon-Bon! The pictures can't be more embarrassing than mine."

"You're kidding, right? You have to be one of the cutest babies ever."

They went through all of Lyra's childhood pictures. A few stood out to Bon-Bon.
There were some Nightmare Night pictures where Lyra was dressed as a hand.
Lyra's parents took pictures of Lyra scaring the shit out of their neighbors with the hand costume.

"You won't be surprised to know that was my favorite costume", whispered Lyra.

"Oh yes, the hand costume", chuckled Mr. Heartstrings, "she made it herself."

"Before I met Bon-Bon, that was one of the happiest nights of my life", said Lyra wistfully.

Another picture which stood out to Bon-Bon was Lyra at the entrance of "Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns". She looked like she was only about eight at most.

"Lyra, you never told me you attended Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. That's amazing."

"I was never that good with magic though. I was surprised I got in."

"Surprised", said Mr. Heartstrings, "you shouldn't be surprised. Remember that you were in the running to be Princess Celestia's most prized student. If I recall correctly, you had the second highest score."

Mrs. Heartstrings popped in.

"And then they took some unicorn from the poor section of Canterlot instead, I forget her name, Sparkle something", Mrs. Heartstrings laughed.

"Mom, you're talking about Twilight Sparkle. She is a genius. She's like Bon-Bon smart. No unicorn can beat her in magic. That was why Celestia chose her and not me", said Lyra quite annoyed with her mother, "I'm okay at magic, but not great at it. I always thought it was because of the Heartstrings name that I scored as high as I did. I also couldn't see myself spending years and years learning crazy advanced magic."

"Absolute utter nonsense, my dear", said Mr. Heartstrings, "you are excellent at everything you do! Is that right, Ruby?"

"Indeed, Emerald. Our daughter is perfect and only deserves the best."

Bon-Bon chuckled. Her parents were very different from Lyra's parents. In Bon-Bon's family, nothing was ever good enough. In Lyra's family, it seemed that anything was good enough.

Lyra and her parents embraced in a group hug.

"I really loved seeing all of those pictures", said Bon-Bon, "I doubt that I could beat that in awesomeness."

"If you were as adorable as you are now", said Lyra, "I think I will be loving your baby pictures a lot more."

"Meh, I never dressed as a hand for Halloween."

"Boring!! Tee hee."

"Oh, I hope you haven't been boring Bon-Bon with all of that human talk", said Mr. Heartstrings.

"Nonsense. Bon-Bon loves it, right?"

Bon-Bon nodded quickly and smiled.

"Dinner is ready", called Jenkins.

Author's Note:

:D
I hope you are all enjoying this story!
I am going to do my best to not make the "having dinner with the significant others' parents" too clichéd.