• Published 26th Jan 2014
  • 2,231 Views, 21 Comments

Bon-Bon Meets Lyra's Parents - Duke of Canterlot



Lyra wants Bon-Bon to meet her parents.

  • ...
7
 21
 2,231

How Bon-Bon Met Lyra

Bon-Bon considered herself the luckiest pony alive for one reason alone.
She had met the best pony she could ever meet: a unicorn named Lyra Heartstrings.
Lyra was a quirky turquoise colored unicorn with a lyre for a cutie mark. She was damn good at the lyre too.
If it wasn't for Lyra, Bon-Bon would have transferred out of Canterlot University.

Bon-Bon felt out of place in Canterlot University as a middle-class earth pony.
However, the university gave her a full scholarship and that was why she decided to go there.

Bon-Bon and Lyra met in a first-year writing class. Bon-Bon noticed right away that Lyra seemed out-of-place as well. Unlike Bon-Bon who felt that way because of her background, Lyra was out-of-place because of her quirks.

Bon-Bon wasn't a big fan of writing essays but the class was required. She picked a Mythical Creatures class because it was in the building next to her dormitory and wasn't too early in the morning. Lyra was an aficionado about one kind of mythical creature: the human. For any topic discussed in class, Lyra was able to connect it to humans. She was convinced that humans had more to do regarding inventing mythical creatures than ponies. She didn't just like to talk about humans but she thought humans actually existed at some point in time.

Bon-Bon could remember the first day she talked to Lyra.
It was after Lyra and their professor, Dr. Oats, got into a heated argument about centaurs and their relevance to humans.

"Lyra, the centaurs do absolutely nothing to prove the existence of humans. They are both mythical creatures."

"Professor Oats, can you tell me which came first? The centaur or the human?"

"Based on the records available to us, the centaur was written about first by ponies. So, Lyra.. can you tell me why the human isn't simply a derivation of the centaur?"

"It is because humans have hands!! Centaurs don't have hands!! Look at everything around us. You can use hands to work with these pencils easier. You can use hands to do many things easier than the pony way."

"Very amusing, Ms. Heartstrings. I guess I should love and tolerate your ideas though."

"The same with your views, Professor Oats, even though they are terribly wrong."

Bon-Bon could hear some groans. Her classmates originally found Lyra's interest in humans amusing but now it just annoyed them.
It didn't annoy Bon-Bon so much though. She actually had a crush on Lyra. If it was any other pony rambling on about humans, Bon-Bon would have had trouble resisting the urge to punch the pony in the face. Bon-Bon loved Lyra's smile and her voice.

She heard a young mare mumble behind her, "You can tell she only got in to Canterlot University because she's a multi-generation legacy."

Bon-Bon turned around. She could see a male earth pony and a female pegasus giggling. The pegasus had a drawing of Lyra in a strait jacket on her desk and another drawing on the earth pony's desk where a unicorn was saying, "I will pay you ten million bits if you let my nutjob of a daughter out of the looney bin, please!". Bon-Bon was so annoyed at them.

The female pegasus whispered to Bon-Bon, "You don't like my drawing?"

The male earth pony whispered, "Hey, you're Bon-Bon, aren't you? My bros totally dig you by the way. You should stop by my frat party Friday night."

This made Bon-Bon feel uncomfortable but she was getting used to all the creepy guys hitting on her at this point.

"You're a Sigma Tau, aren't you", asked Bon-Bon.

"Sure am."

"After that orientation party you "bros" threw, I am telling you that I will never ever go to anything related to Sigma Tau ever again. Feel free to tell your "bros" that, they might learn something."

"Heh heh, Rough Ranger told me that you were so hot but a total bitch."

Rough Ranger.. ugh.. he was the worst of the bunch.

The pegasus glared at the earth pony.

"Umm, Rocky Boulder, that isn't how you treat a lady", said the pegasus.

"Sorry, Bon-Bon." Rocky did seem legitimately sorry, so Bon-Bon decided to forgive him.

"It's alright. having a brain makes me a bitch then I will take that as a compliment", said Bon-Bon.

Blue Sky looked at Bon-Bon with intent and made an obnoxious humming sound.

"Great! Please stop by the Sigma Tau mixer Friday night! We would love for you to be there."

"Don't worry", said Blue Sky, "I will make sure to keep Rough Ranger in line." Blue Sky winked at Bon-Bon.

"I will think about it."

Bon-Bon wasn't going to go to this mixer.. unless... Lyra wanted to go. What was Bon-Bon thinking, she never even talked to Lyra before.

Bon-Bon did realize some big problems with her feelings towards Lyra. There were three blocks Bon-Bon anticipated. The first was that she was an earth pony and Lyra was a unicorn, but a unicorn who was obsessed with humans probably didn't harbor any prejudice against earth ponies. This wouldn't be a problem. The second was that what if Lyra liked stallions and not mares. Bon-Bon was bisexual and found herself attracted to mares and stallions (but she liked mares a lot more) but Lyra might not be the same way. The third was that Lyra was part of the elite Heartstrings family, one of the most prestigious and wealthiest families in all of Canterlot who had all sorts of famous connections. Would Lyra even be allowed to date a pony like Bon-Bon whose family didn't have any big connections? The second and third blocks seemed like they could be big problems. Bon-Bon felt butterflies in her stomach.

Bon-Bon knew she needed to talk to Lyra.

When class was finally over, Bon-Bon walked over to Lyra. Bon-Bon was going to blow it. Lyra probably had some handsome prince back home who was completely devoted to her anyway. Didn't hurt to try though.

"Hi, Lyra.. right?"

"Oh, hi Bon-Bon."

"What's your cutie mark for?"

"It's a lyre. I like to play it."

Stupid Bon-Bon, Bon-Bon thought, asking obvious questions.

"Oh, I would love to hear you play the lyre sometime."

"Aww.. I'm not that good at it though."

"I'm sure you are. It's your cutie mark after all."

"What does your cutie mark mean?"

"Oh this, those are candies. I don't know why I got this. I guess I'm not a bad baker. I was always afraid that it meant I would have to someday work at my parents' convenience store."

"I love candy."

"I love lyre music."

"Where are you from?"

"Belmont Stakes. It's a suburb of Manehattan. What about you?"

"Canterlot. My family doesn't live to far from here actually."

"So, what is it about humans you love so much?"

"I guess I'm just seeing all of these connections. You probably think I'm nuts though like everypony."

"Yea, you are bonkers."

"Of course. I guess I just can't help myself."

"Hey, I was thinking we could get a cup of coffee sometime."

"Why not now?"

Bon-Bon saw Lyra grin at her. Lyra was absolutely adorable.

"I think we are going to become real pals."

"I hope so."

The two walked out of the classroom together and began to talk about various topics. Bon-Bon and Lyra had very different outlooks on life and different upbringings. Bon-Bon was a cynical, middle-class earth pony. Lyra was a naïve, upper-class unicorn.
However, they still shared a special bond. Neither pony was particularly comfortable with the mainstream.
Despite Lyra's quirks, she was so down-to-earth that Bon-Bon could forget at times that Lyra was born with a silver spoon in her mouth.

Bon-Bon remembered their first kiss. It was at the university's movie theater. They were watching a romantic comedy called "The Love Book". Lyra liked those kinds of movies. Bon-Bon remembered falling asleep at some point, since it was so boring. However, at the end of the movie, the two lead ponies kissed. Lyra grabbed Bon-Bon and the two engaged in a long and passionate kiss. One Bon-Bon would never forget.

This was most definitely the beginning of a beautiful relationship, thought Bon-Bon.

Author's Note:

I hope you all like it so far.