• Published 30th Dec 2013
  • 819 Views, 74 Comments

A New Equestria book the second - ZeirMakavar



The new Equestria Colonies, a Republic state governed under Equestria. Until past secrets, aren't secrets any longer.

  • ...
0
 74
 819

10: What need done (Rourke part 2)

Author's Note:

I know I said this would be the largest chapter... But I was feeling evil, and decided to publish it now.

Chapter 10
What need done

"Rourke? That's the name you choose?" A small pixie said appearing out of Rourke's ear. "Such a weird name Star..."

"It's the name I choose Ner."

"I know but still..." Ner chuckled, sitting on one of the desks that Rourke had brought into the study. "But still, it's not better then the last few caretakers.... Like Alexander, he was a good one."

"Judging a pony, or a person, on how their name sounds is idiotic."

"Yeah, but..."

"No buts Ner." Rourke sighed, taking a parchment and quill out as he began writing upon it. "Now get to work. I want those enchantments done yesterday."

"Yeah yeah..."

It took Ner, a pixie made by an unknown force who's job was to guide the caretakers and guardians, a rather long time to place the several types of enchantments in each of the rooms within the stone tower they called home. "You know..." Ner sighed, resting on the counter as Rourke worked. "My job is to teach you, not do this shit for you."

"Now where is the fun in that?"

"Your attitude reminds me of Makavar." Ner sighed, a nostalgic tone in her voice. "He was the first Caretaker."

"So, this Makavar..." Rourke sighed, looking over at Ner. "He made you?"

"No," Ner said, shaking her head. "I was made by Myst. I'm going to live longer then even you. Though... because of your job you'll live for quite a bit."

"As long as a Alicorn." Rourke said chuckling. "If I remember the parchment correctly."


Thirteen days passed and not a single eventful thing happened. Ner continued enchanting the building, while Rourke studied up on magic. news had reached this far off town that the war had ended, along with the Alicorn's return. Three Alicorn's in particular were talked about. Their names, Deacon, Aurora, and Celestia, were talked about almost in every conversation. Their powers seemed to bar none. Rourke of course, only ignored those rumors, as he didn't care.

"Hey," Ner said, floating into Rourke's study. "Did we invite anypony today?"

"No, why?"

"Because there is this really black Alicorn, and a younger white one, standing at the front door."

"Is there now?" Rourke sighed, as he got up to head to the front door.

"Hello Starseeker." A black Alicorn said, his hair seeming to flow with out wind, and appeared to be the night sky. "It's been awhile."

"Deacon."

"Allow me to introduce my daughter, Celestia." Deacon chuckled, as he pushed the young Celestia towards Rourke.

"D-daddy..."

"It's okay honey, he's a friend." Deacon said calmly to Celestia. "He helped Daddy a long time ago."

"Did he really?"

"Yes, he did."

"O-okay..."

"Why are you here Deacon?" Rourke asked, sighing as he observed the young Celestia. "She doesn't even have a cutie mark yet."

"I am aware of this Starseeker." Deacon chuckled, as Celestia began chasing Ner around. "I need your help."

"And you brought your daughter along for the ride?"

"Well... It was Aurora's idea really." Deacon sighed, rubbing the back of his neck with a hoof. "She... well, she wants me to act more like a father to them..."

"Them?"

"We have two foals actually." Deacon said smiling. "Celestia here is the older one. Then there is Lunamaria, she was just born."

"Why do you need my help?"

"We... We need a place to hide."

"Oh?"

"What you talked about... Before we left," Deacon sighed, as he smiled watching Celestia. "It's here. I'm not sure what it actually is. This... darkness, what is it?"

"Simply that." Rourke sighed, looking out a window. "It is darkness. It is lust, hatred, and all things we fear."

"A Nightmare."

"Indeed." Rourke sighed, looking over at Deacon. "But, it is also love, kindness, and all things we hope for."

"That..." Deacon said, looking around before shaking his head. "That makes no sense Starseeker. How cane something be good, yet evil?"

"The thing you run from." Rourke sighed, picking up a book using his magic. "It is an ethereal entity. It feeds on all emotion, the very soul of a pony if you will. It's called a Soul-Eater, and they exist in the shadows of places far older then any of us. Remnants of a time forgotten.

"They hunt anything that even remotely catches their attention. And they hunt it until either they die of natural causes, or they catch it. And their favorite meal, are Alicorns."

"So, they only see us as food..." Deacon sighed, shaking his head. "No, I refuse to lay down and die. Is there a way to kill them?"

"No." Rourke said, shaking his head. "Not one known at least."

"Could somepony get this thing away from me!" Ner yelped, as she stood on top of one of the cupboards, away from Celestia. "Before it eats me!"

"That's a young foal Ner," Rourke chuckled, as he turned to look at them. "She's not going to eat you. She probably only wants to play."

"Well either way."

"Are you sure these will work?" Deacon asked, as he looked over the old parchments. "They seem old... and flawed."

"Yes, they will work Deacon." Rourke chuckled, nodding his head. "They are the same enchantments as the ones used here." He said, sighing. "The only reason you saw this place, was because you've been in here before. So be careful who you let in your home Deacon. If the Soul-Eater finds anypony, and I mean anypony, that has been in your home it will find it."

"I understand." Deacon sighed, shaking his head. "It does not seem fair though..."

"You'll understand." Rourke said, smiling softly. "In due time, you'll understand."

"Bye-bye Mr. Rourke sir." Celestia said, waving back at Rourke.

"I told you Celestia, his name is Starseeker..."

"No it's not..." Celestia said, shaking her head. "The shadow thing said it was Rourke. Rourke of Chaos."