• Published 27th Nov 2013
  • 703 Views, 12 Comments

Hearthfire The Sands Of Time - Predman1227

  • ...
6
 12
 703

Chapter 6:Strong will


Chapter 6: Strong will

Summer Haze

“Looky Mumee a birdy.”
Little Summer Haze was sitting in her toddler chair, looking out the kitchen window. Watching in aw as blue birds flew past the window and one of them had landed on the ledge outside. It peered into the window and looked at the exited Haze. “What’s it called, the blue one the blue one?”

“That my little Summer, is a Sapphire Cherpy.” Haze looked at her mother who was sitting at the table, writing in her journal. Her coat was the same as Haze’s light tan but her mane was a very light blue and behind her reading glasses she had the brightest green eyes. Her horn glowed with green magic as she moved her pencil down a page. She looked up from her work and looked at Haze with a loving smile. “And its almost that time when the birds go south for the winter.”

“Why do they do that?” Haze asked her mother in the cutest toddler voice a filly could make.

“Because,” Haze’s mother leaned forward on the table. “It going to get cold soon and they want to go some place warm.”

“Why don’t we go with them?” Haze asked, tilting her head.

“Because we’re ponies sweet heart, we don’t go south for the winter. We stay here in Canterlot.”

Haze looked out the window again and a thought came to mind. “When is Daddy coming home?”

Haze’s mother looked up at the clock on the wall then back at Haze. “He’ll be back home in two and a half hours sweetie.”

“What time is it now Mumee?” Haze asked.

“Half past two sweetie.” Haze’s mother replied with a smile.

Haze bobbed up and down in excitement. “That means he’ll be back at five.”

Haze’s mother stood up and went over to her daughter. She stood at the side of Haze’s seat and started to play with her daughter’s cheeks. “Oh aren’t you a clever little girl. Can you remember your two times tables?”

Haze started to recite the table. “2 4 6 8…” Haze was interrupted when her mother started painfully coughing and wheezed every time she sucked in a breath. “Mumee?” Haze asked in confusion. “What’s wrong?”

When her Mother finally stopped she put a hoof on her chest and looked tired. “I’m fine sweetie.” She coughed again and put her hoof over her mouth. “Its just a cold.”

“Didn’t sound like a cold.” Haze implied.

She looked at Haze all lazy eyed with a happy smile. “Oh Summer you shouldn’t worry about me.” She picked Haze up from her seat and set her on the floor. She gave her a pat on the head and then pushed her flack lightly to make her go to the door. “Now go to the living room, I’ll be in there shortly.”

Haze waddled over to the door and heard her mother cough again. She looked back and she swore she saw something red on her mother’s hoof as she turned to the sink and washed off what ever it was. She then went through the door into the white hallway.


Haze suddenly awoke and gasped. Her eyes darted around and all she saw was the cloudy sky. There were some covers on her and when she sat up she winced as pain flared in her chest. “Woah there hony take it easy!” Haze looked to her left and saw Violet right next to her. Her leg had the sling on again and she had a scar on her left cheek. “You’ve been out for a while so just…”

“Violet?” Haze asked in confusion. “What happened? Where are we? In fact what are we on?” Haze looked around and found they were on the road again and being pulled along on some sort of cart by… “Theran?” Haze looked behind herself and saw the cart she was lying on was hooked up to Theran, who turned his head and looked at her.

“Hey pip squeak. Have a nice nap?” He asked in his normal flat tone.

The memory of her mother was still fresh in her mind and she felt a little sick. “No,” She mumbled, “Not really.” Actually she didn’t remember what had happened. It was all, fuzzy. “What happened?” She asked, looking at the blood stained bandages wrapped around her unclothed chest. She guessed they had removed her fur blanket to get the bandages on.

“Long Bow hurt you.” Violet said apologetically, then with a happy smile she said. “But Theran made him pay for his mistake.”

All she could remember was pain and a flash of bright light, everything else was fuzzy. Haze wondered why her wound hadn’t been healed yet “Theran why haven’t you healed my wound yet?” Haze asked.

Theran looked over his shoulder again and kept his tone normal. “Your changeling side resisted my healing spell while your pony side welcomed it, the result was rather painful for you.”

Haze was confused. “So what you telling me, you can’t heal me?”

Theran sighed. “That’s exactly what I’m telling you Haze.”

“So what are you going to do if I get hurt again?” Haze wined.

Theran just snapped at her. “Maybe if you spent less time talking and more time resting you might heal faster.” He turned away and looked ahead, now completely ignoring her.

“Just leave him be for now Haze.” Violet suggested, resting her head on a pillow.

Haze sighed and lay back down, her head landing on her pillow. She glanced over at Violet who had her eyes shut. Haze felt kind of awkward now as she came realise it was Violet who gave her the food a few days ago. It was awkward because she nearly killed her and only after when Theran convinced Haze to keep Violet alive, was only when she remembered who the mare was. After a minute Haze finally mustered up the courage to say. “I…I’m sorry I tried to kill you…I didn’t know…”

Violet opened her eyes again and smiled at Haze, stopping her words cold. “It’s ok sweetie, I’m fine with it. I don’t blame you for trying.”

Haze sat up again though she was careful this time and looked at Violet in shock. “You don’t blame me for…trying?” She looked at Violet with one eyebrow raised in confusion.

Violet rolled onto her back and just gazed up at the diming sky with a peaceful expression. “Would have saved me a lot of pain. But you…” She looked upside down at Theran’s back, “Just had to be the hero aiding a damsel in distress.”

Theran just snorted and kept his eyes on the road saying nothing. Haze was still confused. “Are you saying you…”

Violet spoke before Haze could finish. “I’m saying you would have saved me from the torment of being a slave.” She looked at Haze now with a plain expression. “If you think you’ve had it hard, try what I’ve been through and come out of it sane.”

Theran decided to butt in as he angrily said. “Both your hardships are nothing compered to what I’ve suffered.”

Violet rolled onto her belly and looked at him with a waiting expression. “And care to share your torment?” She asked.

“No.” Was his immediate reply.

Violet huffed and rolled once more onto her back, saying nothing more. Haze was just speechless as she looked at Theran and then at Violet, trying to take in what had just happened. After a minute of silence Haze decided to buzz her bug wings and gave Violet a cheeky smile. “I have wings.” Haze mused, trying to make her talk. Violet just kept her eyes shut so Haze leaned sideways and buzzed them again.

Violet opened one eye and looked at Haze. “Stop that.” Violet moaned.

“Then smile.” She leaned in closer and buzzed her wing right in Violet’s ear making her face go all twitchy. After a few more seconds of buzzing her ear did Violet bust out laughing and started squirming around. “Oh no please make it stop I’ll smile if you stop buzzing!”

Haze stopped and smiled victoriously . “See was that so hard?” Violet poked Haze in the side and they both started laughing. Theran just groaned.

After hours of talking to Violet about Wereponys, Dragons and Bighoof did they finally stop near the top of the big hills they had been traveling through. Theran looked over his shoulder and said to both of them. “We’re stopping here for the night.” He pointed with his hoof to what looked like a cave. “We’re going to stay in there till morning. Come on get out of the cart.”

Haze and Violet stood up. Haze shivered when she got out of the covers, it was so cold but it didn’t stop her. With her wings she hovered off the cart and landed on the snowy ground. Chills went up her leg when her hooves sank into the freezing snow. Violet on the other hand was levitated by Theran’s magic and set down beside Haze. Theran then pulled the cart over to the cave and found it was big enough to fit the cart in but he stopped to check if anypony was home. He then waved his hoof to tell them it was clear and Haze rushed inside to escape the freezing winds. It was dark inside but light enough for her to see it wasn’t that big. The roof was low and the walls were close. About as big as the small room the shop She and Theran had camped in, well maybe a little bigger. Violet hobbled in after Haze and then it was Theran with the cart. He put it on the left side of the cave and got to work setting up the camp. He set up the bed rolls, pillows, food and water he had gathered from the bandit camp and to finish it all off, with a campfire witch he made with whatever he had on him.

After the camp was set up they all settled down and tended their basic needs. Haze sipped on a bottle of water, Violet nibbled on some bread and Theran well he ate some cheese. Despite having rested, Haze felt so tired. Violet looked ready to pass out but Theran just looked the same. Even as he fought bandits, cast spells, pulled them up a mountain and he even died at one point in the bandit fight. Yet he just sat there near Violet looking ready move any second. Haze wondered how he did it, how he managed to do all this and not break a sweat. She wanted to ask him but Violet’s shaking hoof caught her attention. “Violet, what’s wrong?” Haze asked in concern.

Theran saw it too and he got a green glass bottle and offered it to Violet. She took one look at the thing and shook her head. Theran frowned at her and said in a flat tone. “You need to take it Violet, you cany go without it.”

“No way.” Violet said angrily. Haze saw Violet was sweating and her eyes were going blood shot. “I’m not taking that.”

Theran insisted and floated the bottle closer. The moment it got near her she sat up and smacked it out of the air with her good hoof and it smashed on the far wall. Haze jumped at her sudden out burst of rage but Theran didn’t even so much as flinch. He just sat there with a plain expression as he glared at her. “You know what’s going to happen if you diny take the drug.” Theran said calmly.

“Drug!?” Haze thought in confusion as she shifted her gaze from Theran to Violet.

“What’s happening…” Violet spat in shaky rage, “Is you not doing what you said you would.” Next she stood up and shouted at him. “Was your kind words all a lie then!? Were you only trying to fool me with a false sense of hope!?” She sat back down and stomped her hoof on the ground in frustration. “Because I don’t want to be a slave anymore and I’ve come too far to let that…” She pointed at the box beside Theran. “Be the only thing that stops it from happening.”

Theran tried to reason with her. “If you diny take it the side effects could kill you. Do you really want that to happen?”

“If it means being free then…yes.”

Theran tried again but Violet was having none of it. From her fur coat she pulled out a dagger with her hoof and pointed it at her chest. Haze’s eyes went wide shock when she saw the blade. “Violet what are you doing!?” Haze screeched in alarm. “Are you crazy!?”

Theran put up a hoof at Haze and said calmly. “Stay out of this Haze.” He then brought his full attention on Violet. He asked in a soothing voice. “Violet, think about what you’re doing.” He very, very slowly moved closer. “You don’t want to do this.”

Violet started to laugh, and it wasn’t the happy kind. More of the crazed, scared kind. “That’s where you’re wrong Theran.” She said with a crazed smile. “I fully intend to use this.”

Theran was still moving and Violet put the dagger closer to her heart. Theran stopped when he saw this and asked. “There are other options Violet. We…”

She cut him off with angry waves of her dagger. “There is no other options! This is only going to end two ways, Ether you help me or I help myself.”

Theran started to look more worried now as he said. “It’s too risky.”

Tears were running down Violet’s cheek now and her breathing had gotten heavier. “Then…I guess there’s no other way.” She lifted the dagger high and got ready to end it.

“NO Violet please!” Theran suck out a hoof on reflex and Violet stopped. Haze just sat in her spot, to terrified to move or even breathe. “What do you want me to do?”

“Help meeeah!” Violet’s vioce was desperate as tears flowed from her eyes and she started to sputter. “A a a a healing spell a a cure a potion, please Theran I don’t want to suffer I can’t take it anymore.” The dagger started to waver in her grasp and her eyes were twitching with stress and fear.

Theran had a sorry look on his face as he said calmly. “I don’t have a spell, I don’t have a cure.” He sat on his back legs and with both his front hooves up he shrugged. “I can’t make your problem disappear with a wave of my horn. I diny know how.”

Violet looked down at the dagger then back up at Theran. Haze could see what she was thinking and screamed when she lifted the dagger high. Before she could stab it into her chest, Theran suddenly launched himself at Violet and tackled her to the ground. They fought over the dagger and Theran must have punched her in her wounded shoulder because she screamed in pain. The dagger went flying in the air and above Haze who had to move to the side or get stabbed as it came down. Theran had managed to pin her but her free good hoof hit him in his unprotected face. He looked like he ignored it as he grabbed her free arm and pined it to her chest. He glared at her face and she shut her tear-drenched eyes, shaking her head from side to side. “LET ME GO!” She screamed. “LET ME GOOOO!”

“Are you really going to let the drug win by killing yourself!?” Theran shouted. “Look at me Violet, LOOK AT ME!” She opened her eyes and looked straight into his. “Is that what you want, IS IT!? To die in some cave?”

She looked at him, her lips shaking and eyes full of fear. “I can’t take it I…”

Theran cut her off. “Bullshit you can fight it!”

She looked at him completely lost now. “How?” She asked shakily.

“Like this.” Theran got up off of her, grabbed the box with his magic and with full force he throw it out the cave entrance. He turned back to her with fire in his eyes, well not literally but he did have a look of triumph. “Now you are truly free.” He went back over to a now shocked Violet who had gotten up again and sat down in front of her. She looked at the floor in misery but Theran made her look at him. “When I said I’d help you through this. I meant every word of it.”

Her tears were dripping off her cheeks as she trembled in shock. Then she asked, barely a whisper “How?”

He put his hooves on her shoulders and said in a calm, soothing voice. “By being here every step of the way.”

With nothing left in her she let herself fall into his arms and cried loudly as Theran wrapped his arms around her and slowly rocked her back and fourth. Haze finally came to her senses and went over to them. Haze sat down beside them and wrapped her own arms as much as they could around Violet’s stomach. Violet opened her eyes and looked down at her. Haze gave her a hopeful smile and said in her sweet little voice. “We will help you very step of the way.” Violet gave Haze a tear filled smile and put her right arm around Haze, staying like that for a long time.

Theran was the first to speak. “I won’t lie, the withdrawal is going to be painful but I have some potions to help with that.”

“How long will it last?” Violet asked, Haze could feel Violet’s heart racing in her ear and she could detect the excision in her voice too.

“Through the night and into the next day.” Theran replied, still holding her tight adding. “The night hours will be the worst.”

“Thank you.” Violet’s words were muffled when she buried her face in Theran’s neck. Haze just kept her hold on Violet, not letting go till half an hour later.


Theran Razorblade

Theran got Violet to lay down and rest. There’s going to be no peaceful sleep tonight. She had also started to burn up so he gave her some medicine to help with it. He was sitting beside her, constantly checking her and giving her some water now and then. He shifted his gaze over to Haze and like him, she had her eyes fixed on Violet. Theran couldn’t believe Violet almost committed suicide in front of Haze. Fillies have fragile minds and he was glad she didn’t have to witness something so horrifying. Theran guessed Violet was too out of her mind to even consider how it would affect Haze. He watched her blank stare for a while and then decided to break the tension. “Are you planning on breathing anytime soon?” He asked.

Haze shook her head and blinked a few times. She looked at him sleepily. “Is she going to be ok Theran?” Haze asked, ignoring his question.

Theran slowly looked back at Violet. She was asleep now but even in her sleep she twitched and shook with beads of sweat running down her brow. He had her take off all her clothing so when the symptoms got worse she didn’t cook. When Theran spoke he kept his tone even. “I won’t lie Haze, there is a chance she might not make it through the night.”

Haze sat up and gave him a worried look. “How do you know that?” She asked worriedly.

Theran looked at a spot on the far wall as he recalled one of his very old memories. “Lets just say I’ve been in a similar place Violet’s going through right now.” He scratched his chin as images of large snake like beings flashed in his mind. “Once upon a time in the ass end of nowhere I was once a prisoner of the Ophlidites. They hooked me to a drug like the one Violet’s been taking and used the withdrawal as a way to torture me.” Theran half smiled. “They wanted info of legion movement near their home land but at this time I wasny a solider anymore and well hadny a clue what they wanted.” Theran kept his smile as he thought about the legion oath. He didn’t know about now but back then if you joined the legion, there’s no leaving it. Violet started moaning in her sleep so Theran put his hoof on her for-head, she was getting hotter. As Theran got a wet cloth from a pot of melted snow he continued his story. “After months of torture I finally escaped the lizards by jumping off a cliff and into a river below.” He put the wet cloth on Violet’s for-head and after a few seconds she settled. “After a while the drug in me wore off and not too long after that the pain finally killed me.” He looked at Haze again with his mellow expression. “Short while later, I woke up and that was the end of it.” He took the cloth and dumped it back in the cold pot. He was starting to feel tired but Haze’s next question kept him up.

“How…how many times have you…died?” She was such a nosey filly but Theran kept talking.

“Well let me see hhhmmmmm…” He looked at the roof of the cave and tried to think. “I…cany…remember, but I can recall a few. Would you like me to tell you some?”

Haze looked at the floor awkwardly as she fiddled with her hooves. “Um…which one do you want to talk about?” She shrugged with her last words.

Theran crossed his arms across his chest plate and tilted his head in thought. He narrowed his eyes as he thought of one. “There was one time I took a fireball to the face, that was fun.”

Haze made an “Ouch” face and said. “That sounds like it hurt.”

“Well when ones helmet melts to ones face you’d think so wouldn’t you.” Theran shivered as he recalled how much it hurt peeling melted metal off his skin. “But that’s not as bad as starving to death then waking up and dying again five minutes later and so on.” He looked at Haze. “Now that wasn’t fun at all.”

“You can starve?” Haze asked with a shocked face.

“Hay just because I can’t die doesny mean I can ignore my basic needs. I do every thing a normal pony would do. I eat I drink I sleep I even get diseases.” He leaned forward and gave Haze a knowing look. “Being immortal or whatever isny as wonderful as you think.”

“Ther…Th…” Theran felt a hoof touching his lower leg and looked down at Violet. She was awake but she looked confused and not all there. “Th…Thera…I…I…need…I can’t…”

Theran lay down on his stomach in front of her as she gazed all lazy eyed at him. He took her hoof in his and brushed her sweaty mane out of her eyes. “Hay there Vi how are you feeling?” He asked in a soothing voice.

Violet gave him a groggy smile as she blinked very slowly at him. Her throat sounded sore as she spoke or tried to. “I…may…hav…felt…. Better. I…can…you have… wonderful eyes.” She touched his left cheek like she’d never seen a face before. “You’re so nice…to me.”

Haze came a little closer and asked with a worried look. “What’s wrong with her?” Haze titled her head in confusion. “She sounds drunk.”

“Its just the withdrawal, it’s messing with her head.” Theran took her hoof in his again and tried to make her settle but she started to tremble and moan loudly in pain.

She started to kick her back legs as her convulsions continued. “The pain…make it stop!” She cried as she gripped her mane. She looked long and hard at Theran and screeched. “KILL ME!”

She tried to get up but Theran went behind her and held her down. “You need to relax Violet, it’s just a pain wave it will pass.” She struggled in his hold but Theran’s weight kept her down. After ten minutes of struggling she finally settled and fell silent.

Haze hovered over Theran’s head with the uses of her wings and worriedly asked. “Is...is she…”

“No.” Theran felt the raise and fall of her chest and let out a sigh. “She’s just passed out.” He sat up and floated the cold wet cloth over and placed it on her for-head again.

Haze landed on the opposite side of Violet and looked her over. She looked up at Theran, fear and dread in her big green eyes. “What will you do if she dose die?”

“It won’t come to that.” Theran tried to be reassuring but Haze wasn’t quite buying it.

“But what if she dose? You said yourself there’s a chance she might.”

Theran gave her an angry look. “I don’t know what I’ll do. What are you asking me?” Before Haze could speak however, a lone howl from outside the cave silenced her and sent cold chills down Theran’s spine.

“What was that sound?” Haze squeaked in alarm. Theran ignored her as he got up and grabbed his sword with his left hoof.

He floated his helmet over and placed it on his head. He then looked at Haze. “Stay here and watch Violet.” He moved to the cave entrance and peered outside.

Haze stood over Violet and she called back to Theran. “Theran you’re really scaring me now. What’s out there?”

He looked over his shoulder and said in a frim tone. “Stay here and diny leave no matter what.” With out another word he walked out the cave and into the snowstorm outside. When he was on the road he stood up on his hind legs and looked around. The storm made it hard to see, as he was only able to see four meters in front of him. Staying on his back legs he walked over to the edge of the cliff and looked down. He could see only blackness in the depths below. “Long way down.” Theran thought, stepping away from the edge and faced up the path. Theran knew that howl well and it scared him. He took hold of the hilt of his sword with his hoof and slowly pull it free from its sheath, the gemstones lining the blade glowed a ghostly blue and red in the shadows of the night. He stood there in the cold wind and snow, watching, waiting. Theran could feel his heart beat in his chest as the eerie silence continued. He narrowed his eyes when he thought he saw a shadow in the mist. He tensed up, ready for an attack.

“Theran!” Theran flinched when he heard Haze calling him from the cave entrance.

He looked back at the cave and saw Haze standing at the opening. “I told you stay inside!” He yelled back at Haze.

“I am in the cave!” Haze countered.

Theran turned all the way around and pointed his sword’s sheath at her. “Diny you get bloody cheeky with me pip squeak, now go ba…” Theran’s blood went cold when he glanced up and saw a massive figure above the cave entrance, its glowing red eyes standing out in the darkness. “HAZE GET INSIDE NOW!”

The monstrous shadow let out a blood-curtailing howl and leaped from the rocks above and down to Theran. Theran jumped back as the thing landed in front of him. It crouched low to the ground to absorb the landing and when its feet touched the ground Theran felt a small tremor. Theran was still on his back legs with his sword at his side as the thing begun to stand. What stood in front of Theran, standing over two meters tall on two legs and was a mountain of rather slim muscle. Was a Wolven. His lower legs, arms, chest and head were covered in grey steel armour. He carried a massive saw like sword on his back and a large “O” shaped iron shield on his left arm. His wiry grey brown fur blew in the wind and his white breath came out of his snout like a ghostly mist. His feral red eyes glowed through the slits in his helmet and he showed the same razor sharp teeth as Theran had, well the Wolven’s was longer. Theran’s eyes shifted to the Wolven’s flexing claws on it right paw. They were as lone and sharp as daggers. Slowly those claws wrapped around the hilt of his blade and in the same deliberate movement he pulled the blade out. Theran was completely confused. Why was a Wolven was all the way out here on top of a mountain all alone. They normally hunted in packs but this one looked to be solo. The Wolven spaced his legs apart and then let out a rumbling roar, banging his shield with his sword as he worked himself up. Theran steeled himself as he dropped his sheath and spun his sword a few time around his shoulders, then levelled it right beside his right cheek, pointing straight at his opponent. The Wolven let out a huff then lunged forward, his mighty long legs reaching Theran in two steps.

Theran ducked as the Wolven swung his sword to the right and over Theran’s head, ruffling his mane. Theran stabbed out but the Wolven blocked it with his shield and countered with a shield bash to Theran’s face, connecting with a metallic twang. Theran’s helmet absorbed the blow but the impact still rattled his teeth and skull. The large beast swung again for Theran’s head but he recovered in time to parry the blow. Going with the flow Theran spun on his left back leg then kicking out and up with his right, connecting with the Wolven’s nose with a loud “thud”. The Wolven let out a dog like yelp and staggered back from the blow, blood poring out of his nostrils. Theran came back in with a two hoofed overhead strike but yet a again the Wolven blocked it with his shield. Theran knew he wasn’t going to take this monster down by simple sword strikes, not while he had that shield. The Wolven suddenly let out a high-pitched roar and with blinding speed it kicked him right in the chest plate. The blow felt like being hit by a sledgehammer, knocking the wind out of his lungs and sending him flying off his hooves. He smashed into the ground and rolled over his shoulder and onto his belly, gasping of air. His vision was blurry and his mind was all jumbled. He dizzily looked up and saw the ghostly image of the Wolven standing over him.


Summer Haze

The moment Haze heard the howl from above her she froze. She didn’t even move when a massive armoured beast landed in front of the cave entrance. The ground seemed to rumble when its mighty size touched the ground. It pulled out a massive sword and charged at Theran. Haze was just transfixed by the size of the thing. It was slim but still huge and even though Theran was standing on his back legs the thing was still towering over him. Theran did manage to get a hit in with a very cool spinning kick to the beast’s nose but that just made it angry. When it suddenly kicked Theran off his hooves and he wasn’t getting back up, Haze knew she had to do something or it would kill him and that would be bad for all of them. Doing the first thing that came to mind, Haze hastily grabbed some snow, rolled it into a ball and throw it at the beast. The snow ball hit the back of the thing’s helmet and turned around growling, glaring at her angrily with it’s blood red eyes. A wave of terror overwhelmed Haze’s mind as the wolf like monster slowly started to walk toward her with hate in its eyes, teeth gleaming in the dark. Theran suddenly got back up and launched himself onto the beast back and they both fell over into the snow. Haze didn’t wait around to watch as she ran back into the cave screaming. She stopped in front of Violet’s still body, turned around and stared at the cave entrance. She could hear Theran roaring and grunting as he fought the wolf monster outside, it sounded like he was struggling. Suddenly Haze felt something touch her back leg and she yelped in fright. It was only Violet but her eyes were fluttering like she was trying to keep them open and her breathing was getting erratic. “Leasa…Wher…Why is it so dark…why…why am I so warm…”

Haze was confused, who was Leasa? Haze took hold of a water bottle with her magic and tried to get her to drink but she was out of her mind. Haze tried talking to her. “Violet you need to drink some water or you’re guna burn up.” Violet’s gaze drifted off and Haze tried to make her focus. “Violet can you hear me? Violet you need to…”

She suddenly looked at Haze, her irises had gone so small it actually creped Haze out. She then gave her a crazed smile and said. “Oh Leasa, I’m so sorry I couldn’t protect you I tried I swear.”

Haze had completely lost the plot. What was she talking about? “Violet who’s Leasa?” Haze asked but Violet’s breathing had gotten weaker.

“I’M SORRY! Please forgi…forgiv…” She closed her eyes and suddenly went very still.

Haze’s heart skipped a beat when she saw Violet wasn’t breathing. “Violet?” Haze moved up close and put her nose on Violet’s neck. Haze’s eyes widened in shock, she had no pulse. “Oh no no no no no Violet no don’t be dead!” She shook Violet’s shoulder and got no response. “Oh crap she’s dead.” Haze sat back and gripped her mane, panic seeping into her mind. “No Haze don’t panic, ponies die when you do.” Haze knew Violet’s heart had stopped but that didn’t mean she was completely dead, there was still a chance. Haze tapped her hoof on her chin as she thought quickly. She learned in her time with her mother’s sister that the heart ran on a pulse and if it stopped it could be reset by another. But where was she going to find…
She touched her horn as the thought came to her. “A shock spell.” Haze got to her hooves and concentrated. All she needed to do was spark her horn but nothing was happening. Haze hit the ground with her hoof in anger. “Come on, work.” She clenched her teeth together and put her back into it. Her head started to hurt from the amount of effort but she felt her horn start to heat up. Her horn glowed a bright green and bits of magic sparked out as she built up the spell. Her horn started to feel like it was on fire from the amount of power she was putting into the spell. When it was at its peak she moved up to Violet’s chest and when her horn touched her fur, she released it. The power of the spell knocked Haze off her hooves and onto her back. Her horn hurt like nothing she had ever felt before but despite her pain and dizziness she lifted her head up and looked over to Violet. The spot on Violet’s chest Haze put her horn on had been charred black and was smoking a little. Haze wondered if she had used too much but she shook her head and got up. Shakily walked over to Violet and put her nose on her neck again. She still had no pulse and Haze growled in anger. If she couldn’t do this right Violet will die fully. Haze gritted her teeth and charged up the spell one more time. She was getting dizzy from the pain but she had to keep the spell up. Too little would kill her and too much will cook her. The spell spat and sparked as it reached its peak and when she let it go, it knocked her onto her hind legs. Her legs gave way and she fell onto her side, the pain too much to handle. Before she passed out and everything went black. She weakly looked at Violet’s still body and wondered.

Did it work?