• Published 27th Nov 2013
  • 701 Views, 12 Comments

Hearthfire The Sands Of Time - Predman1227

  • ...
6
 12
 701

Chapter 11:Hunters

Chapter 11:Hunters


Theran Razorblade

“Wow you didn’t tell me the inn looked like a place from an old cowboy movie.” Haze squeaked with joy.

Theran had no idea what a cowboy was or a movie for that matter so he decided to humour her. “Um yeah Haze it looks a lot like that uh thing.”

“You have no idea what I’m talking about do you?” Haze asked flatly.

“Yeah, yeah.” Theran replied glumly. He looked over his shoulder at Violet who was lying down with a depressed expression. “How are you feeling Vi?” He asked her.

Violet looked up for a brief moment then looked down again. “I feel about the same really. Sick and out of energy.”

Theran looked back at the inn. “Well lets get inside, the night winds are picking up.”

“What dose that mean?” Haze asked as she cocked her head.

Theran looked up at the diming sky and tightened his brow. “Means a storm is coming again and we best get inside before it hits here.” With that made clear he got to pulling the cart to the front of the inn and tided it up so no one could steal it, well steal it easily. Haze had to get lifted out of the cart this time do to her not having her wings and then it was Violet. Theran was about to lead them in when he remembered something. “Hold up.” He put his hoof out to stop them.

Violet and Haze gave him dirty looks. “What is it?” Violet asked in a low tone, she was stressed and Theran didn’t blame her for getting annoyed.

Theran glanced at then both then said. “I wasn’t completely honest when I booked us here, I said to Lilly you…”

“Lilly?” Violet interrupted. “Who’s Lilly?”

Theran rolled his eyes and sighed. “Sush that’s not important. What is, is I kind of said you two were my…family.”

Violet’s tired expression didn’t change, he guess she didn’t really care ether way but Haze looked shocked. “What?” She said in disbelief. “But why woul…”

Theran put his hoof on her mouth to shut her up. “I know how it looks but trust me its better this way.” He let her go and looked to the door. “So if Lilly brings it up just play along. Ok?”

Haze gave him a dirty look again but then gave in. “Fine.” She sighed.

With that dealt with Theran pushed open the doors and led them inside, looking back at the dark shadows cast by the buildings on the other side of the street. Theran’s gut chewed at him but he guessed he was looking for something out of habit so he shook his head and went in after them.

Inside the place it was quiet with very little activity except for Lilly and Tim. “Well…that’s something you don’t see everyday.” Theran thought as he looked over at them. They were sitting on ether side of the reception desk and they were playing…a board game. Lilly was laughing at something Tim had said and he was laughing to, rolling some dice and making their moves while they chatted. From the looks of it Lilly was winning from the cocky expression on her face. Theran cracked a half smile at this little surprise but shook it off when he remembered Violet and Haze were waiting. He cleared his throat and approached the two youths. Lilly was the first to spot them as she looked up and her happy expression changed when she saw Violet and Haze.

“Oh my gods!” Lilly said with worry as she got up and went around the desk to greet them. “Is this ya family?” She asked Theran and he nodded. She really was a caring mare. Lilly looked at them both with shock in her face. “Oh ya poor things, here let me show ya to your room.”

“I was just about to ask that.” Theran said. “Please do while I speak with Tim.”

Lilly looked at him in confusion “What do you have to talk about?” She asked with suspicion.

Theran narrowed his eyes at her but Tim spoke up. “It’s fine Lilly, please I’ll speak to you afterwards.”

Lilly looked like she wasn’t going to give in when Haze coughed and snapped her out of it. “Right, you better.” She turned back to Violet and Haze who were waiting and she led them upstairs, helping Violet from time to time as they made their way up.

Theran watched for a while then looked at Tim. “She is an odd one.” Theran stated.

“She’s just looking out for me.” Tim stated. “Now what…was it you wanted to talk about?” He looked nerves again and Theran had to roll his eyes.

“The doc wants you back pronto and I mean that in a literal way.”

Tim looked up at the stairs but Lilly, Haze and Violet were already out of sight. “But I’m kind of in the middle of…”

Theran cut him off. “Right now.” He said in a stern voice as he reared his neck back and made himself look bigger.

Tim’s ears flopped down in submission and he got out of his chair. Before he moved he asked. “But what about…”

Theran cut him off again. “I’ll tell her you had to see the doctor so run along now.” Tim looked angry but he did as he was told and left, the doors slamming shut behind him. Theran stood there for a moment all alone, then he put a hoof to his face and closed his eyes. “What have I gotten myself into?” He thought as he rubbed his temple. “No attachments and what have you done? I’m a fucking idiot.” He slammed his hoof on the desk in frustration and sighed heavily. When he opened his eyes again he saw his hoof had left a dent in the wood and he swore at himself. “My fucking point exactly!” He looked at the board game, an old strategy war game and used it to cover the dent. He sighed again and went upstairs to room 12.


Violet

Lilly had used her own staff key to open the door and led them inside. Violet felt like every muscle in her body was trying to rip themselves apart as she hopped into the room. Haze had gone in first and was looking around. The room was small but big enough to give them room to move around and walk past each other. There was a window on the right side of the room and the moon’s light cast gloomy shadows, until Lilly lit a lamp with her magic and hung it on a hook attached to the wall. Now the room was cast in a warm orange glow making it seem very comfortable and welcoming. It was a cheap room to most but to Violet it was the best thing she had ever seen. With a real bed and a big one at that, it might as well have been for royalty.

“The bathroom is through this door.” Lilly’s voice cut Violet out of her amazement of the room and she turned or hopped around to see. “You and ya daughter can get cleaned up in there. Um…are you ok?”

Violet shook her head when she realised she was staring at Lilly blankly. “Um yeah I’m just out of it, the pain makes it hard to…think.” Come to think of it she was in a lot of pain.

“It must have ben horrible.” Lilly said in concern. “Bandits are monsters and I hope ya husband made um pay.”

“Oh they paid alright.” Violet thought. What she said was. “I don’t really remember, it all happened so fast.” The penny dropped when she realised Lilly had called Theran her husband and she blushed. She hoped if she saw she would mistaken it for pain but as soon as she thought of him he came walking in with his expression plain.

“Everypony alright?” He asked, mostly to Haze and Violet.

“Fine…hun.” Violet had to make a mental effort to call him that, she could feel her ears start to heat up in embarrassment.

Theran momentarily looked confused but shook it off when he looked at Lilly. “Thank you for bring them up here, I owe you two now.”

Lilly just smiled. “Am glad ah could help and if ya need anything else just call me.” She looked around her then back at Theran. “Well I’lla leave ya’ll to it, hope ya’ll get a good rest.” With that done she left them and closed the door behind her.

Violet sat down on the spot while Theran went over to the door and with his key he locked it. Haze was on the bed and as soon as the cost was clear she turned back into her “normal” self and flopped on her back, spreading her forelegs out to ether side and let out a big sigh. “Ahhhhh I’m so tired and hungry.” Haze moaned.

Theran came back in the room proper and frowned at her. “We just got here.” He moaned.

She lifted her head to look at him. “Yeah and now I’m hungry. You got anything I could eat?” Theran opened his saddle-bag and with his magic he throw a loaf of bread at her. It landed on her belly and she let out a tiny grunt. “Hay what was that for?” She yelled with crumbs all over her.

Theran got on his hind legs and started making gestures at her. “You wanted to eat, there you go.” He went back on all fours and looked at Violet. “And what about you, what do you want?” He asked kindly.

Violet didn’t really know, she wasn’t used to doing things for herself and was at a loss. She looked at the bathroom door. “I could use a wash.” She stated as she sniffed herself and found she really needed one.

Theran looked at the door and made a quick glance back at her before opening it. Violet got to her three hooves and hopped forward and followed him through. The room was pitch black till Theran lit the lamp inside and cast the bathroom in a yellow, orange glow. The bath tub was by far the best she had ever seen considering it was only made of wood. She stared at it while Theran looked around. It wasn’t a big room, the side walls were close together but it was long enough to fit them both though it would be a squeeze if they walked past each other. The walls were made of the same brown wood as the main room but finer. Theran used his magic to turn a nod on the wall and from a pipe beside it water poured out. He put a plug in the tub and now they waited while it filled. Violet guessed she should take her clothes off but her limbs were too stiff for her to reach the not of the sling. “Need a hoof with that?” Theran asked and was suddenly beside her…or had he already been there?

Violet felt her ears heat up again as she made a sheepish grin and chuckled nervously. “Ha um…if you don’t mind.”

Theran untied the not and let her leg fall free. It hurt like hell when she tried to straighten it and gave up after it didn’t. “Do you want me to untie this to?” He asked pointing at the straps on her fur coat.

“Uh no I can do it.” She knew she was blushing from the heat in her cheeks and quickly with her mouth she unstrapped her coat. Theran stepped back when she had some trouble getting her forelegs out of the coat and he was about to step in when she finally got it off. “See no problem.”

Theran looked at the rest of her. “Um you still have the rest to take off unless you like getting them wet.”

Violet rolled her eyes as she got to taking off the rest of her clothing. After a minute she finally got all her clothes off when the tub was full and Theran turned the nob again. It felt weird not having her cloths on but she just shrugged it off. The water looked so warm from the steam coming off it and she dipped her hoof in to check. “Wow the water’s warm. How dose it do that?” Violet asked in curiosity.

Theran raised an eyebrow at that and asked. “Really but how…” He sighed. “When was the last time you even had a bath?”

“I think it was about…three or four years ago.” Violet answered.

Theran’s mouth dropped open in utter bewilderment, his eyes wide open. “Then I suggest you get in right now.” Theran said and pointed at the tub.

There were no steps that would help her get in and she couldn’t jump in do to her leg so… “Um Theran could you…” Before she could properly ask he grabbed her with his magic and lifted her in. The water was hotter than she first thought and got a shock when he dropped her in. “AAAAAAAAhhhh its SO HOT!!!” She yelled. “You ass-hole you could of warned me!”

“You’re welcome.” Theran said plainly. The water quickly turned from clear to foggy in seconds as all the years worth of muck came out of her fur. After a minute her body got used to the heat and she soon relaxed in the tub. It felt so good as the warm water seeped into her cuts and soothed her bruises. It actually unstiffened her limbs and lessened the pain in her shoulder. She looked at Theran who was sitting away from the tub with his back leaning on the wall. “Enjoying yourself?” He queried.

“Oh yes.” Violet felt a big smile on her face. “Best thing I’ve felt in a long time.”

Theran sat up and said with a chuckle. “Well I’ll go now and…”

Violet interrupted him as she sat up in the tub. “Wait. You wouldn’t mind if I asked you to…stay?”

Theran narrowed his eyes in a questioning way at her. “Why?” He asked.

Violet blushed as she thought of a reason. “Um…I don’t want to be alone?”

Theran didn’t look convinced. “I’ll just be in the next room you’ll be…

“Please.” Violet found she really didn’t want to be alone. She feared if she was the memories would come back so she needed him here. “I just…need somepony to chat to.”

Theran pondered this for a moment before he said. “Um…ok.” He got up and went to the side of the tub. He crossed his forelegs on the lip of it and looked at her. “So uh…what do ya want to chat about?” He asked.

Violet had so many things she wanted to say. Who was he, where did he come from, why he was here, why did she like the way he looked at her, but when it came to forming words she was at a loss. “Uh…I uh…you um…”

Theran looked confused. “Are you alright?” He asked then added. “How’s the shoulder?”

Violet stopped blushing and looked at her shoulder. The scar from the healing spell was fading but the bone underneath was still buggered. “Could be worse.” She stated. “You could have cut my head off.” She suddenly thought of something and asked rather hesitantly. “Um…why…didn’t you finish me off, back in the valley?”

Theran looked even more confused and a little shocked as he leaned back from her. The expression on his face told her he was at a loss for words. “Ah….I uh…” He closed his eyes and lowered his head for a moment. He sighed and looked back up at her. “I didny want Haze to have to do something like that so I…”

Violet interrupted him. “That’s not what I meant.” She put her own hoofs on the lip of the tub near Theran’s but not touching. She looked him in the eye and asked almost in a whisper. “Why didn’t you do it?”

Violet felt her cheeks heat up again when he just stared at her for a long time. “I…I.I.I uh haha um.” He couldn’t find the words.

“I mean I was a bandit to you so…why?”

“Why is it important?” Theran suddenly found his voice again and he sounded angry. “Why must you now something like that?” Violet was about to open her mouth when Theran went off on a rant. “What did you want me to kill you? Did want a sword deep in your stomach?” His voice was raising slightly. “Well?”

Violet was shocked, she had no idea this would offend him. “N…no I just wondered why you stopped at me.”

“Luck, fate, good timing I diny know.” He looked at the floor and looked down cast. When he spoke again he sounded more calm. “I…I just hate killing. There was once a time maybe I did but…ah damit.” He closed his eyes.

Violet felt suddenly sorry for him, underneath all that black armour and anger he was really a nice guy and she could see it. She shifted her hoof to the side and bumped his and they both looked up and their faces now suddenly too close. Violet was blushing from ear to ear and so was Theran. “Oh…uh um”

“I…uh” Theran

“Um” Violet

“Yeah” Theran

“Haha…um.” Violet

Violet’s lips went tight and Theran’s eyes went wide as they slowly moved toward each other. “Hay!” A small voice came from the other side of the door and Theran shook his head, stepping back from the tub. Violet was still blushing when she shifted herself and looked away from him.

“What is it Pip?” Theran called out to Haze.

Haze’s voice sounded impatient when she called from the other side of the door. “How much longer are you two going to be in there!?”

Theran looked at Violet and he made a cocky smile. “Oh, and why do you want to know that huh?”

Violet could hear Haze hopping on the spot outside the door as she yelled. “Cause I need to pee!”

Violet smiled and she glanced at Theran who was also smiling. “Can’t you hold it in?” Theran asked in a teasing way.”

“NOOOO!” Haze yelled louder and started thumping the door.

Theran laughed and went over to the door to open it. “Alright you can come in.” He opened the door and Haze came hopping in, her hind legs pressed tightly together as she bit her lower lip, looking around franticly.

“Ohhh where is it?” Haze said as she spun on the spot.

“Where’s what?” Theran asked in the same teasing way.

“The lu where is it?” Haze was now pulling funny faces as she bit her lip harder.

“Oh why its that bucket in the corner.” Theran said, pointing at the bucket.

“Are you kidding me, that’s it?” Hazes mouth dropped open in shock as she stared up at Theran.

Theran chuckled as he walked past and went for the door. “Hay you wanted to know so there you are.” He looked at Violet. “I’ll go get our stuff it willny take long.”

Violet smiled. “Ok I’ll see to little Haze here.” Theran left and closed the door behind him. Violet let out a heavy sigh as she felt the pressure in her chest fade. “What am I doing?” Violet thought as she rubbed her throbbing head. “That was embarrassing.” She looked to the side and saw Haze had vanished.

She was about to turn her head when Haze yelled at her. “Hay don’t look!”

Violet looked at her hoofs, well she would be if she could see them through the murky water. “Sorry.” Violet said. She glanced around the tub and found a cup. She picked it up and wondered why it was in here.

“So what were you and Theran doing?” Haze asked for behind her.

Violet blushed and she realised she was doing that a lot. She put the cup down. “Oh um we were talking.”

“About what?” Haze came to the side of the tub and only her eyes were showing since she was so small. Violet couldn’t see her mouth but she could tell from her eyes she was smiling.

“Oh just about stuff.” Violet said.

“What kind of stuff?” Haze got on her back legs and put her hooves on the lip of the tub. Violet could now see her entire adorable face.

Violet smiled and with her wet hoof she pocked Haze on the nose. “Stuff a filly shouldn’t hear.”

Haze frowned. “I’m not a filly I’m almost nine.” Violet bust out laughing and Haze was puzzled. “What’s so funny, I didn’t say anything?”

Violet turned to face her and put her own hooves on the lip of the tub again and look down at her. “Oh just you…you’re so funny haha.” Violet smelled something and it wasn’t coming from her.

Haze frowned again. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

Violet realised the smell was coming from Haze. “It means you’re adorable. Oh and Haze…” Violet pointed up at the roof and Haze fell for it and looked. “You need a bath.”

Violet gripped Haze’s hooves and pulled her over the lip of the tub. Haze looked shocked as she squealed. “Aaa Vi what are you…no, nnno, no NNNOOOOOO!” Haze fell in with a splash and flailed around in the water for a moment then sat up, her eyes wide with shock and disbelief. “HAY WHY DID YOU DO THAT! Now my wings are all wet.” Haze’s mane was dripping wet and was stuck to her face. She was also buzzing her wings, spraying water droplets everywhere.

Violet was still laughing as Haze raged. “Oh sorry hahaaaa I couldn’t help it hahaaaa.”

With her magic Haze picked up the cup, filled it with water and splashed Violet’s face. Violet scrunched up her face and closed her eyes as the water struck and now her own mane was stuck to her eyelids. “Is it still funny now?” Haze asked.

Violet blow air out of her mouth and wiped her mane away from her eyes. She opened them and smiled. “To be honest… yes.”

They both bust out with laughter. Haze splashed more water at Violet with her hoof and Violet did the same at Haze. For once in her life Violet was actually enjoying herself, no worries, no pain and no loss. Just her, Theran and Haze. She didn’t want it to end but she’d be a fool to even think that was possible and like Hammer Head had told her. “In the end, everything has a price”. After a minute they stopped playing and just got to cleaning themselves. Five minutes was long enough and not long after Haze pulled the plug with her magic did they get out of the tub. Violet had to carefully clime out and then with her mouth take Haze by the nape of her neck and lift her out. Once she put her down she shook her body all over and ended with a flick of her tail. Violet couldn’t do that do to her shoulder so she had to use a towel instead. “Yuck.” Haze said as she looked at her soaking bandages. “Guess I need to change this huh?”

Violet pondered that for a moment then said with a chuckle. “Ha yeah, I think Theran left his bag in the next room.” Violet moved past Haze as she took of the soaked bandage and opened the door. The main room was now freezing and Violet found her teeth were chattering. “Was it always this cold?” Violet wondered. She also found a dressing gown lying on the bad and guessed Theran had left it there for her. The gown was made out of fluffy brown fur and was soft to the touch.

Haze came out of the bathroom and was now shivering. “W, w ,w , why I, I, I, is it so c, c, c, cold?” Haze asked as she sat down and rubbed her shoulders franticly.

Violet looked on in concern at the Shivering filly then looked at the gown. “Come here sweetie.” She asked Haze and slowly she came over. Violet covered her in the gown and despite the pain in her shoulder she lifted her up and placed her on the bed.

Haze looked worried when Violet put her down. “Are you ok Vi? That looked sore.”

“It was.” Violet replied, gripping her aching shoulder.

“You know I could have jumped up?” Haze pointed out.

“Yeah I know but I wanted to help.” Violet stated as she got up on the bed. She peeled back the covers and got under them, letting out a big sigh as she lay back and rested her head on a pillow. To most this bed would be very low quality but to her it was like laying on a cloud. Haze with the gown still on did the same and snuggled up with Violet, letting out the same big sigh.

They lay there for a while in silence. Violet had no idea what Haze was thinking but she was thinking of what was going to happen next. They had come so far, she had come so far and now she hadn’t the fantast clue of what the future held. For the first time in her life she was actually scared of what might happen. Before she didn’t care what happened to her but now that she was free she… “Where are you from?”

Haze’s question cut Violet from her thoughts and she looked at the filly. “What?” Violet asked, not sure if she heard that properly.

Haze was looking at the roof as she spoke. “Your home, where is it?”

Violet hadn’t thought of home for a long time. The mere thought felt so alien to her, she wasn’t sure how to answer her question. “I don’t understand. Do you mean the bandit camp?”

Haze was now looking at her in bewilderment. “No I mean where were you born, you know like…I’m from Canterlot.”

Violet had no idea where she was from, the memory was so faded it was like it was made up or like a dream. “I can’t remember.” She laid her head back again and sighed. All this thinking made her head hurt and she wanted to sleep, until the door open and in came Theran floating in a few bags of food with him.

“Ah see you two have made yourselves at home.” Theran mused as he put the bags down on beside the couch and looked at them. “We got enough food and water to last us a few weeks, long enough for you two to heal up.” He sat down on the couch and started to fiddle with his chest plate straps. “Now how are you two feeling?” He asked.

“A lot better.” Haze said with a smile.

“My head hurts a little.” Violet said with a sigh.

Theran just shrugged. “Well I don’t have anything for that so…”

Violet interrupted him. “I do, the doctor gave me a bottle of painkillers it should be in one of the…” Violet stopped when she thought about it. She couldn’t remember taking it with her. “Um you didn’t happen to pick it up did you?” She asked Theran.

He shook his head. “No just the stuff from the bandit camp.”

Violet rolled her eyes in annoyance. Of all the things to forget she just had to forget the painkillers. “Damit I left it at the doctor’s.”

Theran sighed and rolled his eyes as he got off the couch and went to the door. “I’ll go get it.” He said moodily.

Violet sat up and called after him. “Wait you don’t have to…”

Theran cut her off as he floated the room key over to her and said. “Its ok I got this, now you just rest and I’ll be right back.”

Before she could argue he had already gone out the door and magically locked it behind him. Violet looked at the key for a moment then looked at Haze. To her surprise Haze was fast asleep and was making cute little snoring sounds. Violet lay back again, snuggled up with Haze and closed her eyes. Letting the sound of the snow storm drift her off into a deep sleep. But even as she drifted she couldn’t help but worry that this all might just be a dream.


Theran Razorblade

As the door clicked shut and the loud clunk of the lock sounded, Theran let out a heavy sigh. “Why am I even daying this?” He thought as he turned away from the door and went down the stairs. “Oh yeah Theran you just had to be a hero and get yourself in a load of shit. When will I ever learn attachments will only end in…”

“Yoy!” A young feminine voice called out but not at Theran. He looked over the banister of the stairs and saw Lilly trying to deal with what looked to be a drunk costumer. “Ah already told ya we’re closed now so pack up ya things and get out.”

The drunk pony started yelling incoherent words at her as he waved his empty mug around. “And…a told ya…um not gown anywhere till…till ah get get another round.”

Lilly shook her head and tried to take the mug off him. “For the last time the bar is closed till the morning now give me that mug.”

The drunk shoved her away. He was an Erath pony so he was a lot bigger than Lilly. “Fuck you nag…I’ll get one myself and you’re not going to stop me.” Lilly had had it now and tried to stop him but he was too big and he had no trouble knocking the young Unicorn to the floor. “I’m going to smash you into the floor you nagging little…”

Theran was at ground level by now and wasted no time moving up to the drunk. “Hay!” Theran yelled as he got on his hind legs and pulled back his right hoof.

“What do ya want you son of a…” The drunk didn’t get to finish his sentence when Theran delivered a hard punch to the drunk’s nose, sending him flying off his hooves and crashing onto the wooden floor with a bang.

The mug flew up in the air and Theran caught it in mid air with his hoof. “Well not the most graceful thing I’ve done today but its really effective.” He offered his free hoof to Lilly.

“Thank ya so much.” Lilly said as Theran helped her up. “Bloody sod, good thing you’re here. Say you wouldn’t be in need of a job huh? You’d make exhalent security around here with a punch like that.”

Theran did his half smile as he put the mug on the bar. “Thanks but I’ve got my hooves full already at the moment.”

Lilly just shrugged. “Ah well the offer still stands if ya need it. Say, you spoke to Tim right?”

Theran silently swore in his head as he leaned on the bar. “That’s right.”

Lilly glanced at the doors then back at Theran. “What did ya say to him, he didn’t even wait for me to get back?”

Theran made a mental note of how stupid he was and answered her question. “I told him the doctor needed him for something and it couldn’t wait.”

Lilly narrowed her eyes at him as if she knew he was hiding something. But she shook her head after a moment and looked down cast. “That’s some bad luck on ma part, ah could use an extra hoof right now.”

“A hoof with what?” Theran asked, tilting his head to one side.

“Running this place.” She looked at the moaning drunk on the floor. “The night staff are all ill and the morning bartender had to go home to her family during this storm.”

“You’re all alone here?” Theran asked and he was a little shocked.

Lilly nodded sadly. “Yep that’s how it goes.”

“Your boss is a bit of an ass-hole placing a burden like this on the shoulders of a teenager.” Theran assumed.

A spark of anger played across Lilly’s face as she straightened her neck and placed herself on the tips of her hooves so she was at eye level with him. “Hay ah can take care of maself, ah’ve been helping run this place since ah was 12 so don’t ya dare say am incapable.” She went back down to her own level and pocked him in the chest plate, her hoof made a dinging sound off the metal. “An what are ya doing out here anyways? Ah thought you had ya family to take care of.”

Theran was starting to get annoyed. “I am. My co…wife…” It physically stung to say that word, “Has forgot the painkillers the doctor gave her and now I’m going back to get it.”

Lilly’s expression changed to shock then shame as she looked at the floor. “Oh, sorry.”

“Don’t be.” Theran was about to leave when he got an idea. “Hay Lilly, you don’t mind checking up on my family? I diny know how long I’ll take getting back.”

Lilly brightened up and puffed her chest up with pride. “Sure, I’ll check up on um. Though ah have to ask.” She pocked at the floor with her hoof as she asked. “Can ya ask doctor Joe if it would be ok for Tim to stay here for the night? Ah could use a hoof.”

Theran had a hard time containing his rage as he spoke through clenched teeth. “Oh sure why not, what’s the harm?”

Lilly smiled. “Thank ya.”

Theran rolled his eyes and turned to the doors. “Well…” He said as he unclipped his helmet from his belt and placed it on his head. “Here we go or…ahhhhh forget it.” With a shake of his head he walked to the doors and into the cold storm outside.

The moment he stepped outside he was blasted by the rage of the storm. He was lucky to be covered in cold proof Night-steel so all he had to worry about was the strong winds. Theran looked around and found the mist of the storm was so thick he couldn’t see what was in front of him. The buildings were barely visible, only their dark outlines could be seen in the rage of the storm. “I hate snow.” Theran reminded himself as he slowly started to make his way to the doctors.


Summer Haze

It had been a year since her mother died and now Haze sat in a classroom with her forelegs crossed on the desk with her head resting on top and was just staring at her pen. She wasn’t in the mood to do anything, not with her mother still on her mind. Her classmates were watching and listening to the teacher as she spoke. She was talking about the Barrier Land and how it had been there in the shadows, protecting a place called the HeartLand for centauries or whatever. Haze didn’t really care. She had moved to Ponyvile with her Auntie Stela after her Mother died from a unknown disease that caused her lungs to collapse. Haze didn’t really understand it, she didn’t want to but the one thing she did want to was where her Dad went. Shortly after her Mother’s death Haze’s Dad just vanished. It made her angry and confused. “Why did you leave?” Haze mumbled to herself. “Why did you leave me?”

Haze buried her face in her hooves, she just wanted to forget when suddenly her name was called and the voice was right beside her. “Summer I’m talking to you.”

Haze sat up quickly and looked at the mare beside her desk. The teacher was an earth pony with a purple coat, a curly mane that was a lighter shade of purple and dark green eyes. “Oh sorry Miss Cheerlie.” Haze said down cast.

Miss Cheerlie just smiled. “Remember to pay attention. Now do you know who the ruler of the Barrier Land is?”

One of the other students put their hoof up and eagerly tried to get the Teacher’s attention. “Ooo, ooo, I know, I know.” It was an orange Pegasus with a purple mane but Haze didn’t know her name.

“Well Summer?” Miss Cheerlie asked again.

Haze looked down at the picture she had drawn of her Mother and sighed. “I don’t know.”

One the students a pink Unicorn named Diamond Tiara snickered and made Haze angry. What kind of a name was Diamond Tiara anyway? It sounded like it was made up like it wasn’t her real name. She was older than Haze and a bit taller too and she had been annoying her ever since she got here. Miss Cheerlie didn’t seem to notice as she begun to speak. “The main ruler of the Barrier Land is prince Terrato and he is brother to…”

“I don’t care.” Haze said in a depressed tone, cutting her off.

The whole class gasped and Miss Cheerlie had a shocked look on her face. The bell rang and Miss Cheerlie shook her head. “Ok class its lunch time now so go out and play.” The whole class got out of their seats and went out the door, all whispering about Haze. Haze was about to do the same. “Except you young lady.” Miss Cheerlie stated and Haze sighed, sitting back down on her seat. They waited till all the students were gone then Miss Cheerlie started speaking. “What’s the matter Summer, what’s got you down?”

“Why do you care?” Haze asked in the same tone.

Cheerlie looked confused and a little annoyed. “Its my duty as a teacher to care how my students are feeling. So what’s on your mind?” She asked more kindly this time as she sat down beside her desk.

Haze looked at her picture of her Mother again and a single tear ran down her cheek and onto the paper. “I miss my Mum.”

Cheerlie looked shocked then concerned. “Oh Summer I’m sorry.” She put a hoof on her back to comfort her. “I didn’t realise you were still grieving.”

Haze looked up at her in surprise. “How do you know about that?” She asked, her voice a little crocky.

Cheerlie looked at the paper with a more down expression. “Your Auntie Stela told me about it. Your Mother was a good mare and I know she loved you very much.”

Haze started to cry and Cheerlie gave her a hug. “Why did she have to die?” Haze wept in her Teacher’s hold.

Cheerlie sighed. “I don’t know Summer, these things just happen.” She got Haze to look her in the eye. “But you don’t have to worry, you know why?” Haze shook her head. Cheerlie smiled. “No matter what, your Mother will always be with you in here.” She touched Haze’s chest. “Ponies may die but they will always live on in our hearts, just like your Mother lives on in you.”

Haze’s eyes went wide for a moment. For the first time in a year Haze didn’t feel sad. She felt this warm fuzzy feeling she could only think of as joy. “She…she lives in me?” She finally asked.

Cheerlie nodded with a big smile of joy on her face. “Yes, yes she dose and as long as you believe that she will live on forever.”

Haze and a blank expression for a moment but slowly and surly, she stated to smile. “You know…I think you’re right. Wow thanks Miss Cheerlie.”

She gave her Teacher a big huge and she let out a joyful laugh. “You’re welcome Summer, now go out and play.”

Haze smiled and jumped out her seat, heading for the door. She looked back and waved back at her teacher. She waved too and then Haze went outside. In the play ground Haze was jumping all around the place. She felt so happy she didn’t want to let it go. She stopped and looked around, she hadn’t made any friends yet since she got here and now she wanted to. But before she could the pink Unicorn and her other friend and grey earth pony Haze still didn’t know came waking up to her and from the looked on their faces it wasn’t going to be nice. “Hay there noodie.” The pink one said in her annoying high pitched voice.

Haze rolled her eyes and sighed. “I’m hardly new here anymore DT.”

Diamond Tiara looked confused. “DT? What gave you the right to give me a nickname?”

“Since always.” Haze countered with a smile.

Dt’s friend stepped in. “What’s got you happy all of a sudden?”

Then DT said. “Yeah what happened to being all, I don’t care?”

Haze smiled wider. “I learned something.”

DT gave her an wicked smile. “Oh and what’s that? That you’ll never see you Momee again?”

How did she know that? “No, I learned no mater what my Mum will live on in me.”

Dt’s friend started laughing. “That’s the most stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.”

DT started laughing as well. “Yeah no matter what your Momee will always be dead and there’s nothing you can do about it.”

They both laughed and Haze felt her rage start to boil. “Shut up.” They didn’t and Haze felt her rage increase and, she felt something else. “Shut up.” They didn’t stop. Haze could feel something inside her start to burn and it got hotter the more her got angry. She felt her whole body start to tingle and itch and she ignored it. At the top of her lungs she shouted. “I SAID SHUT UP!!!”

They both stopped laughing and for a moment they were smiling, but that changed when they looked at her. “What the…what’s wrong with you legs?”

Haze thought they were playing some dumb trick as she kept glaring at them. She felt so itchy. “What’s wrong with your face!?” The grey one squealed.

Haze felt her anger grow. “You think I’m going to fall for that? You two know nothing. Why DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO…”

“No.” DT looked horrified. “Your face its…changing.”

Haze was confused. What were they talking about? The itchyness was so annoying she scratched her chest and felt something rip off. She looked down and gasped. Her hooves had chunks missing and the fur on her legs were falling out. What she had in her hoof was more of her fur and when she looked at her chest a large chunk was gone. “What…what’s happening?” Haze looked at DT and she felt her anger come flooding back. “What did you do to me?” She growled.

DT was confused. “What are you talking about I didn’t…”

Haze stepped forward and showed her teeth. “You’re a Unicorn you know magic, what did you do?”

DT and her friend screamed. “Aaaa get away from us you creep, we don’t want what you’ve got!”

They ran away and all the other kids were looking at her. They started screaming as well and Miss Cheerlie came outside with a confused look on her face. “Now what all the screaming abou…” She stopped speaking when her eyes fell on Haze. Her expression changed from confusion to shock. “Wha…Summer is that you?”

Haze took a step forward. “Mi…Miss Cheerlie…I..I…”

“What’s happening to you?” She tried to step forward but the fear on her face was clear. Haze felt so confused and scared that she turned tail and ran. “Summer wait come back, Summer!?”

Haze didn’t stop she just kept on running and running and…

Haze woke with a gasp and she sat up straight, the dressing gown still wrapped wrapt around her. Violet also woke with a gasp and sat up beside her. “Wa…Haze? What’s wrong?” Violet asked.

Haze looked at her with a sorry expression. “I’m sorry Vi I didn’t mean…”

Violet put her good foreleg around Haze and gave her a hug. “Its ok sweetie I don’t mind.” She looked Haze in the eye. “What were you dreaming about? Was it a nightmare?” She asked.

Haze just sigh and said. “Yeah something like that.” She looked around the room and saw Theran was gone. “Where’s Theran, where did he…”

Violet booped her on the nose and chuckled. “He’s out getting something, he should be back soon.”

Haze didn’t know how to feel about that. Theran was a grump most of the time but he wasn’t mean, well not really…ok he was mean but he meant well. Haze got out of the gown and jumped out of bed. “Come on Violet I want to look around.”

Violet looked confused but she smiled. “Oh Haze its so late and everypony is sleeping.”

Haze jumped up and down and spun in the air. “Yeah that means nopony is around so let’s go.” The place was exactly like an old western building and she really wanted to look around. “Pleaaaaaase?” She made her eyes go as big as they could possible go and Violet looked as if she had cracked.

“Oh could those eyes go any bigger? Ok we can look around.” Haze jumped and buzzed her winds with joy. Violet got out of the bed and looked in the mirror and gasped.

“Vi, what’s wrong?” Haze had stopped jumping and was looking at Violet.

Violet was tilting her head from side to side as she looked at herself in the mirror. She stuck her tong out at herself and pulled funny faces. “What is this thing, I can see myself?”

Haze was utterly confused. “Violet, that’s a mirror I hear they are very common.” Haze joked.

“Not where I’m from. Wow I look good considering. You know I never knew my coat was so white, must have been the bath.”

Haze bust out laughing. “Hahaaa, ok can we go now?”

Violet strapped on the gown and picked up a key on the bed with her mouth. “Ok let’s go.” Violet said, her voice all muffled.

Violet unlocked the door and Haze turned into her other self and ran out the room. The hall was wide and spaceish, allowing Haze to run around in circles. The banisters were like bars made out of wood and they went down the steps and along the top floor. The place only had two floors, the ground floor and the first floor, which they were on but not for long. Haze bolted down the stairs and ran around the open space. “Oh Hello.” Haze stopped running and looked to see Lilly sitting at her desk. She was spinning a filer in the air with her magic and smiled at her. “What are ya doing up so late?”

“Sorry.” Violet said as she came hobbling down the steps. “Haze wanted to look around and you can’t say no to those big eyes.”

Lilly laughed and got up. “Haha yeah ya can’t can’t say no ti that.” She gestured for them to follow her. “Come on let me get ya a drink.”

Violet glanced at haze. “Oh uh…that nice of you but…”

“No ah insist.” She done an acrobatic flip over the bar and landed on her back legs and leaned on it. “So what can ah get ya?”

“Wow that was awesome.” Haze squeaked in aw. “How did you do that?”

Lilly just chuckled and placed a hoof on her hip while still leaning. “Oh just a lot of practise.” She floated two chairs in front of the bar and gestured for them to sit. “Make ya self comfortable.”

Violet and Haze sat on the chairs and looked at each other. “Uh this is nice but why are you…”

Lilly interrupted Violet. “Ya husband told me to look after ya’ll while he’s away and look after ya’ll ah shall.” She shrugged. “An besides you two have already benn through the ringer, so ah thought it be nice to ease ya burden with a couple of drinks on the house. So what will it be?”

Violet scratched her chin. “I’ll have the weakest thing you got.”

Haze scratched her own chin in thought. “You got any lemon aid?” She asked.

Lilly floated some mugs over and set them in front of Violet and Haze. “Ah don’t know what lemon aid is but I’ll see what ah can do, as for you Misses ah got just the thing.” She floated a bottle of clear liquid over to her mug, popped the top and poured it in. “Go on and take a swig.”

Violet looked at the mug and slipped her hoof in the handle. She lifted it up to her nose and gave it a sniff. “What is it?” She asked Lilly.

“Its called Good Stuff, go on try it.” Lilly insisted.

Violet put the mug to her lips and took in a sip. For a moment she seemed like it was nothing then she stiffened up and her face went all twitchy. Haze swore she saw steam come out of her ears as she coughed loudly. “What was that?” Her voice was all horse and she coughed some more.

Lilly laughed. “That stuff is magic made and has a bit of a spark to it. Ponies that have never tried it get the best kick.” She then floated another bottle down from the rows the other bottles and this drink was purple. “This is the closest thing we got to a filly’s drink so don’t expect much.”

Haze took the mug in both of her hooves, it was a little big but she managed and instead of sip she gulped. After one gulp Haze felt the liquid bubble down her throat and make her stomach go all bubbly. “Wow that feels funny haha its making my stomach talk.”

Violet and Lilly started laughing when the main doors opened and two black clothed ponies walked in. Haze couldn’t see their faces for they wearing hoods and masks. One was a Unicorn and the other and an Earth pony and they were wearing the same black leather barding with daggers hanging by their sides. “Can ah help you two?” Lilly asked the strangers.

The strangers stepped forward, the snow on their gear fell of and hit the floor. “Yeah we’re looking for some ponies.” The Earth pony answered in a deep sorta creepy voice.

“Is that so?” Lilly said, jumping over the bar and approached them. “Many ponies come an go here. Are ya looking for someponies specific?” Lilly asked with a hint of suspicion.

The Earth pony glanced his cold red eyes at Violet and Haze. “Oh you could say that.” He tilted his head and Haze could tell he was looking at her.

“What are ya bounty hunters?” Lilly side stepped so she was blocking his view of Haze.

He chuckled. “More like…collectors.”

Haze didn’t like where this was going. Something was off about these two and the way the Earth pony looked at her made her feel uneasy. “Um Violet?” Violet looked at Haze with the same look of worry on her face. “I don’t want to look around anymore.”

Violet nodded but before they could move the Unicorn blasted Lilly with a lightning bolt and sent the mare flying into a table and all hell broke out.

Author's Note:

Hay peops I just wanted to ask what you think so far.

I've had like zero feedback on this.