• Published 27th Nov 2013
  • 703 Views, 12 Comments

Hearthfire The Sands Of Time - Predman1227

  • ...
6
 12
 703

Chapter 19:On The Road Again

Chapter 19:On The Road Again


(Theran Razorblade)

Many centuries ago


“You have to tell her Theran. It’s wrong not to.”

Theran mulled over what Storm had said to him after their mission briefing with the Prince himself. The things he told them, something was happening in the South and it was…unnatural. Something big was coming, something unlike any the Barrierland has faced before. “Theran?”

Theran blinked and shook his head. He was sitting in the living room of his home and Ashtrid was sitting near him in her own chair eating her dinner. Trisha his four-year-old daughter was upstairs in her room sleeping after her eventful day at the wall. Theran looked at his wife sleepy eyed. “What, what is it?” Theran asked her in a dazed sort of way.

She gazed at him in confusion. “Your dinner, you haven’t even touched a bit of it.” She used the fork she was holding in her magic to point at the still steaming plate of vegetables on the small table next to him.

Theran blinked again as he stared at the plate of food and his mind went blank. “Uh…I uh…” He couldn’t think of what to say as he felt his insides turn.

Ashtrid tilted her head and put down her fork and half empty plate. “Theran what’s wrong?” She stared at him in quiet confusion. He couldn’t meet her eyes, he couldn’t find the right words. It was as if a great weight had been set on his shoulders, stopping him from talking. Ashtrid spoke up again and this time she set her food aside and got up. “Theran you’re acting strange. What’s wrong?”

He clenched his jaw and looked at her. “I…I’m going away…somewhere on a mission.” She stopped as she stared at him wide eyed. He continued in his flat tone. “The Prince himself has given me a very important task and I’ll be gone for a while.” He looked down setting his gaze to the floor and said in a quiet voice. “Maybe even years.”

He looked up slowly and saw his wife just standing there staring at him. Her eyes were wide, her mouth hung open a little and her eyes slightly shifted as she processed what she just heard. After a few moments of awkward silence she finally spoke and her voice sounded sore. “You…you’ll be back right? Just like always right? You’ll get the job done and be right back home…right?”

Theran felt his heart sink in his chest. “I…I’m not sure Ash, this one is…different. I’ve to hoof pick nearly over a thousand soldiers to come with me to…” He trailed off.

Ashtrid blinked and took a step forward. “To what? To do what Theran!?” She kept taking steps forward and her voice sounded frantic. “Why do you need so many soldiers? Where are you going? What are you tasked to do!?”

“I don’t know damnit!” Theran shouted in anger and he slammed his hoof into the arm of his chair. Ashtrid flinched but she didn’t make a sound. Theran continued his rant. “The big grey bastard didny tell me a damn thing! What I’m doing, why I’m doing it, nothing. Just a fucking location and a bunch of other orders that makes no sense.”

Ashtrid frowned in complete bewilderment. “W-wait hold on just on sodding minute here. You don’t know what you’re doing? Where are you even going?”

“I canny tell you that it’s classified!” Theran leaned back in his chair and rubbed his temple, sighing. “I wasn’t even supposed to tell you this much.”

“Then why did you!?” Ashtrid demanded in anger.

“Do you really have to ask Ash really?” He got up and wrapped his forelegs around her neck. She nearly tumbled over in her surprise. “I love you damnit, you deserve to know.”

She sat down with him and returned the hug with her own. When she spoke she sounded shaken. “Oh Theran I’m so sorry, I love you too with all my heart.” Her hug grew tighter. “I didn’t mean to be pushy.”

“No.” Theran sighed as he let her go to look at her face. She was so beautiful, those crystal blue eyes of heir’s always made him feel calm. “You got nothing to be sorry for. I’m the one who should be sorry.” He looked up the stairs, his heart shrinking with sadness. “How are we gunna tell Trisha? I could be gone for…I don’t know how long.” He looked back at Ashtrid and he fought the tears welling up inside him. “How are you supposed to raise her without me to aid you? What if I don’t…”

Ashtrid put her left hoof on his mouth and he shut up. He looked into her eyes and he saw not sadness, not anger. He saw determination. “Don’t, don’t you dare say it.” She ordered in a strict voice. “You will return that’s an order. You hear me that’s an order?” Theran tried to speak but she wouldn’t let him. “I know what you’re going to say. I’m not a soldier, you out rank me well guess what. You may be the Arch mage, you may command armies but gods be damned I am your wife. I am your one and only superior and my order to you no matter what happens out there you will come back to me, you will come back for Trisha. You got that?”

“Uh I…” Theran tried to speak but his answer wasn’t good enough.

“I said, you got that!?” Ashtrid yelled.

“Yes!” Theran snapped. “I got it ok, sheesh you’re worse than that old guy in a market place. Bla bla bla.” Before she had a chance to object he kissed her on the lips. She relaxed, putting her hooves on his shoulders, enjoying the moment. When the moment passed they looked into each other’s eyes. Theran smiled and put his right hoof on her cheek. “Don’t worry Ash, I have no intentions of staying away for long, you can count on it.”

Ashtrid gave him a warm happy smile. “That’s the Stallion I married.”

“Hay I think it was me who married you remember.” Theran teased.

Ashtrid giggled at that and so did Theran. There was a creak on the wooden floor and when Theran turned his head he saw Trisha standing at the bottom of the stairs. Her sleepwear was too big for her so it hung off her tiny body. Her white and red mane was all tangled and messy. She rubbed her right eye as she levitated her toy bear beside her. She let off a big adorable yawn and opened her big blue eyes. She was barely half awake as she asked or more like mumbled. “Mummy, Daddy what are you yelling about?”

Theran got up and approached his little daughter. “Hay there sweetie.” Theran said in a kind, playful voice. He sat down and picked her up and cradled her in his forelegs. “You should be in bed. Little fillies shouldny be up at this hour.”

She let out another big yawn and looked at him sleepy eyed. “Yeah but you were yelling. Why were you yelling at Mummy?”

Ashtrid came over and joined in on the embrace of their daughter. “No sweet heart he wasn’t yelling at me, we were yelling at each other.”

Trisha looked puzzled. “But…but why?”

“We’ll tell you later Trish.” Theran’s face was beaming as he held his daughter close and enjoyed the warmth and life in her little being. “You just rest now.” Something wet hit his nose from above and he looked up. “What?”

(Present day)

Theran woke with a gasp and he sat up. He was back in the camp sight and as he looked around he noticed Violet, Haze and Sapphire were still asleep. There was something wet on his face and when he touched it he found out it was snow. “Must of come from the trees.” Theran thought. The warm feeling he had before was gone, lost in the deepest part of his soul. What he felt now was cold and bitter like something important had been taken from him. He sat there hugging his chest as the painful memories still bubbled in his mind. It raked at his heart making him feel sick. What he would give just to see their living faces again just once. To hold Trisha again and enjoy the loving embrace of his wife. He felt tears in his eyes and he would have considered just letting them free if it weren’t for Haze’s friend waking up.

She woke with an uncomfortable groan and began to sit up. She was facing away from him so she didn’t notice his cold, glum gaze watching her. She sat up sideways, her covers sliding off her. She then stretched out her tattered wings as far as then could go and let out a high moan as he heard her back crick. She then sighed and turned to see him watching her. She squeaked and threw her covers over her face. “Uh…good morning?” Theran said, puzzled at her strange behaviour.

He could still see her hooves as she held her covers up but then she lowered them a bit so now he could see her strawberry eyes. When she finally spoke after just staring at him she said in a timed voice. “Uh…g-good morning Mr uh…Razorblade.” She then asked in the same voice. “Uh how…how long have you been um…watching me?”

Theran could tell she was blushing so he just rolled his eyes. “Not long and it’s just Theran, none of that formal stuff out here. Anyway had a good sleep I take it?” He asked her.

She put her covers down, fully showing herself now. She dimly glanced at Haze who was still asleep, hiding under her covers. “Yeah…” She spoke in an unenthusiastic way. “I guess I slept well enough. Not as good as some though.” She glanced her eyes, down cast at Haze.

Theran raised an eyebrow at that. “What’s that supposed to mean?” He asked.

Her face went red again and she bit her lip. “Uh nothing.” Was her quick reply.

Theran smirked. “Oh I see.”

She looked at him funny. “See…se what?”

Theran’s smirk widened. “You’re jealous that Haze slept in between me and Vi instead of sleeping next to you.”

Her face went so red it was like her head turned into a cherry. “That…” She objected. “That’s not true you take that back! I would never…”

Theran started laughing and she stopped yelling. “Ha oh by the gods you’re easy.”

She blinked in confusion. “Huh?”

“I was joking.” Theran admitted. “I really had you going there didn’t I?”

“Ha ha yeah.” She said, sounding unsure.

“Hay listen, you’re name’s Sapphire right?” She nodded. “You do realise to get to the Heartland we’re gunna need to go through some very dangerous roads right?” Sapphire nodded again in confusion. “Then answer me this. Where’s your weapon?” Sapphire’s expression went blank. “Cause I have weapons, Violet has her sword and now even Haze has a hoof blade.” He gestured to her. “So tell me, where is yours?”

Sapphire glanced at her empty sides then looked at Theran’s weapons. “I uh…I don’t have any.” She finally admitted and crossed her forelegs over her chest, looking away.

Theran sighed, glancing at his bag then back at Sapphire. “Do you know how to use a weapon?”

Sapphire gives Theran a sideways glance then looks at him completely. “Uh yes.”

“What type?” Theran asked flatly.

Sapphire twiddled her hoofs for a bit before answering. “I uh…I have some skill in small weapons, mostly knives or daggers.” She looked at the ground. “I uh used to borrow my…my Mother’s daggers and go somewhere private to practice with them.” She looked up and noticed Theran giving her an odd look. She grimaced. “Uh I know what you’re thinking I uh never cut myself with them honest.” Theran kept giving her his funny look. He was trying to read her but for some reason she was hard to figure out. She kept on trying to convince him. “I swear…look I’ll even show you.”

Theran had had enough info so he raised a hoof in the air and said. “Relax kid you don’t need to convince me.” He smirked again. “Oh and when you said borrowed you really meant stole.”
Sapphire looked like she was going to say something, an objection perhaps but Theran didn’t let her speak. “Hay it’s alright.” He put his forehooves up either side of his head. “I knew your mother. I personally had to kick her out of the inn one time for starting a fight. In my opinion you should have kept her daggers. That nag doesny deserve them nor should she have them.”
He paused for a second then floated over his bag. From it he levitated two Iron daggers in sheaths out of his bag and hovered them over to Sapphire. “Here you go, you can borrow these for a while.”
She took them and just stared at them while Theran spoke some more. “They’re cheap and made from a common metal. They dull easily but are also easy to sharpen. My advice is keep an eye on their sharpness.” He took out a tiny block of rough stone and gave it to her. “Here take this it’s flint. Just run it on the edge of the blade and it will stay sharp.” Theran put his bag away and observed her. “So what do you think?”

Sapphire pulled one of the daggers out of its sheath and examined it. It was a curved dagger, most popular with bandits and other crime groups. Easy to build, easy to fix and very effective. She looked at Theran. “Um thanks this is really nice of you to just give me these.”

Theran rolled his eyes. “Whatever.” He sighed. He looked at Haze and Violet who was still sleeping. He smirked his wicked grin and got to his hooves. He sneaked over to Violet and prodded her in the side. “Oh Violet, wake up Violet.” When she didn’t wake he looked up, grabbed a tree branch and shook it. Snow fell from the branch and hit Violet’s face. She woke with a gasp and sprang to her hooves. Theran burst out laughing as Violet glared at him with snow sticking to her face and mane. “Oh oh you should see your face Vi it’s priceless.” He closed his eyes as the pain from the laughter became too much. But when he opened his eyes again he was met with a snowball to the face.

Violet was smirking now and was scratching her chin. “Hmmm I would say the same if only I could see your face.” She was the one to start laughing now and Theran just frowned, rolled his eye and blew snow off his nose.

“Oh ha ha.” Theran moaned as he wiped the remaining snow off his face. “Your wit is unmatched.” He said sarcastically. He then sighed and asked Violet. “Hay Vi could you do me a favour?” He pointed at Sapphire. “I gave her some daggers. Could you give her some tips on how to use them while I wake Haze?”

Violet smiled. “Sure I’ll tell her what I know. Oh and Theran?”

Theran raised an eyebrow and asked. “Yes?”

She gave him a warm smile. “It’s good to have you back.” Theran’s expression softened and he gave her a half smile, not saying anything. Violet then turned away from him and addressed Sapphire. “Ok you come with me, I’ll show you how to use those things like a pro.”

While Violet led Sapphire away from the camp Theran went over to Haze. He made sure they were gone before gently pulling the covers off her face. She was still sound asleep with her mouth hanging open. The front of her mane was all messy now from hiding under the covers and some of it covered her eyes. As she snored away he could see her pointy fangs sticking out. Even at fourteen years old she still managed to be adorable.
He pocked her on the nose and she made a little groan. She scrunched up her face and mumbled something.

“Eh no, no I wasn’t chasing jelly beans, hmmm rainbows.” Theran rolled his eyes and poked her again. This time she woke and opened her eyes. She sleepily looked up at him. “Dad?”

Theran was slightly taken aback. “Huh?” He grumbled in confusion.

Haze’s eyes seemed to focus and when they did she gasped. She pulled the covers over her head in a flash and began to moan at Theran. “Theran you jerk what are ya thinking? Sapphire will see me!”

Theran let out a sharp sigh and pulled her covers off her as he said. “Relax, Violet took her away from the camp to give her some tips on defending herself.”

Haze gasped as her covers were torn from her and she curled up in a ball. “It’s so c-cold.” She shivered.

Theran face hoofed with yet again another sigh. “Oh quit being such a big foal and deal with it.”

She sat up suddenly, crossed her forelegs and pouted with a moody frown. “Easy for you to say you’re built for this weather.”

Theran looked at her in confusion. “What’s up with you?” He asked. He couldn’t understand what was making her this moody.

Haze’s face softened and she looked at the ground. “I…I don’t know. I guess everything is moving pretty fast for me to handle. I mean yay lets go on an adventure is a little sudden is all.” She looked at him. “Say why do you want us to go to the Heartland anyway?”

Theran shrugged. “I just figured a change of scenery would be nice. I hear it’s spring in the Heartland this time of year. Think about it no snow, no bandits, no monsters and I also hear there’s a city made of crystals. Now wouldn’t that be exciting?” Haze looked away again looking down cast and Theran took a guess as to why. “This is about your past isn’t it? You don’t want to go back do you?”

Haze grimaced at that and she glared at him. “Eh no. My past has nothing to do with it.”

“Oh really?” Theran asked with sarcasm.

“Yes.” Haze stated in a strict voice but then it wavered and she looked away again. “Actually…maybe oh I don’t know anymore everything is confusing.” She hunched low and covered her eyes with her hooves.

Theran felt her pain. He had to remember she was a teenager and things are tough at her age, especially with her unique disposition. He sat down next to her and gave her a cuddle. She took her hooves away from her eyes, opened them and looked at him in surprise. “It’s ok Pip, I don’t expect you to know or be ready for everything but come on going back to see your homeland might be fun.” He chuckled to himself and added. “Besides I’ve never been to the Heartland ever. This will be a new experience for me and gods know I need some.” He gave her a warm half smile. “So do me a favour and just lighten up ok. Can you do that at least?”

Haze looked like she was giving it some thought. For a few moments she said nothing and Theran felt like he just wasted his time when she finally looked at him again and gave him a warm smile. “Well I guess so. Ok I’ll do it.”

“That’s my girl.” Theran said delighted as he ruffled her mane.

“Hay stop it you’re messing up my mane.” Haze moaned and tried to shield her head with her hooves but then he went for her sides and tickled her. Haze couldn’t help herself and doubled over with laughter. “No please it’s too much I can’t aaahahaaaaa!”

Her laughter made him laugh to but something clicked in his head and he frowned. He stopped and stood up, acting as if nothing happened. Haze lay on the ground holding her sides till she noticed he wasn’t tickling her anymore and she looked up. Theran looked around the camp then went up to the fire and stomped it out. “We’ll be heading out soon so help me pack up.”

Haze rolled to her hooves, stretched her back like a dog and shook herself off. “Ok sure I’ll help.”

She transformed back into her normal Haze disguise and got to rolling up the bed rolls. Theran cursed himself in his mind and a little voice in his head spoke to him. “You’ve got attached haven’t you?” It slivered in his mind like a snake, hissing in his ear. “You know they will die they will all die and you will be alone once more.” Theran growled and shook his head. “Shut up!” He snapped to himself and then he realised he said that out loud.

“Huh?” Haze stopped what she was doing and looked back at Theran. “Did you say something?”

“What?” Theran turned and frowned at her. “No stop asking if I did.”

Haze looked taken aback and she made a flinching movement with her head. “Ok sorry I asked.”

Theran rolled his eyes and just sighed. “I’m losing it.” He thought. “I need to do something.” And with that he got to helping Haze packing up their stuff.

(Sapphire)

Violet took Sapphire away from the camp to a spot she deemed suitable. A open area without trees or bushes in the way. “Ok this will do.” Violet stated and turned to Sapphire who looked unsure.

She looked around nervously as she rubbed one hoof over the other. “Um why are we doing this again?” Sapphire asked.

Violet smiled and unclipped her sword, setting it aside. “Theran wants me to teach you how to use a dagger in an effective way.” She grinned wildly, making Sapphire feel uneasy. “And I’m happy to do so hehe.”

Sapphire was a little taken aback. She had never seen this side to Violet this happy energetic side. She simply nodded and said. “Uh alright then if…if you say so.”

Violet’s expression softened to Sapphire’s relief and she got down to business. “Ok here it goes.” She pulled out her very own dagger from a slot in her chest plate and flipped it in the air only to catch it again. Sapphire was gob smack by the fluidity of Violet’s movement. She pulled it out so fast she almost missed it.

“Wow you have one hidden in your armour?” Sapphire said amazed.

Violet gave a bow. “Thank you. Theran’s not the only one with hidden tricks in his armour.” She pointed her dagger at Sapphire. “Now tell me what do you know of knife fighting?”

Sapphire felt a lump in her throat. She didn’t really know how to show what she knew. “Uh well um you stick um with the pointy end?”

Violet giggled and Sapphire felt her cheek heat up. “Well you’re close but there’s more to it than that.” Violet gestured to Sapphire’s belt where her new daggers were. “Take them out and show me how it’s done.”

Sapphire again was taken aback. “Is she crazy?!” Sapphire thought in alarm “I can’t do that!” She stated with shock in her voice.

“And why is that?” Violet said in a calm manner.

Sapphire was so confused. Why would she ask her to attack her? “Cause I might hurt you!”

“Oh you won’t.” Violet stated yet again in a calm manner. “Now come on don’t be shy.”

Sapphire felt like she was being insulted. She frowned, pulling out her daggers and holding them both up right. She used her wings to balance herself on two legs, it was tricky but she managed. Violet also did the same to Sapphire’s surprise and she left herself open, not even trying to make a stance. Sapphire didn’t want to hurt her so she was going to go for her chest plate, that way she wouldn’t get hurt. Sapphire darted forward with a battle cry, using her wings as a speed boost and aimed right for Violets chest. Violet wasn’t even trying to move she just stood there. “Ha I’m going to show her I’m no wimp, this is almost too…”

Just before her blade even had a chance to scratch the surface of Violet’s chest plate she suddenly moved with blinding speed, she didn’t even move from her spot. With her own dagger she parried Sapphire’s right dagger to the side. Then with her free hoof she grabbed Sapphire’s left hoof by the wrist and twisted. Pain lanced up Sapphire’s foreleg as she was locked in an odd angle. She felt something cold and metal against her throat right by her jugular vain and she froze. She stared into Violets purple eyes and as before she looked completely calm. Sapphire dropped her blades and felt a shiver run up her spine as she let out a frightened sigh. Violet smiled and said. “Now you’re dead, congrats.” In less than a second Violet had disarmed her and theoretically killed her in two fluid movements.

Sapphire managed to find her voice again and said. “How…how did you…”

Violet let her go and she fell to the ground clutching her throbbing shoulder. “You telegraphed your movements to me, letting me know where and how you were going to attack.” She slipped her dagger back in its hidden sheath in her chest plate and offered her hoof to Sapphire. “In another words that don’t sound like Theran. You made your attack very predictable. Something any bandit will exploit.”

“So the roomers in the village are true then?” Sapphire asked as Violet helped her up. “You were once a bandit weren’t you?”

Violet’s eyes widened slightly just for a second then she was smiling again. “Well kinda was kinda wasn’t. It’s a long story and it was a long time ago.” She gave Sapphire a hard look in the eye. “I’m not that person anymore. If you want I could tell you about it some other time.”

Sapphire blinked as her mind blanked out for a moment then she just nodded. Then her mind went back to what had just happened. “How did you do that? I mean what you did was so cool, you move like a bloody ninja!”” Sapphire felt her excitement grow or was it just the adrenalin? She couldn’t tell.

Violet shrugged at Sapphire’s question and she was blushing a little. “I guess I’m well practiced, that and I have years of survival experience.” She picked up Sapphire’s daggers. She put one in Sapphire’s sheath for her but kept on holding the other. “The trick is to be fast and aim for the vital points.” With the blade Violet pointed at her own neck. “Right here is one of the vital points you want to aim for. One stab or stroke here and it’s all over in seconds.” She pointed at Sapphire and made a circular motion with the blade. “Turn around.” Sapphire gulped not really wanting to but did as she was instructed. With her flank now facing Violet she pointed ahead. “Look in that direction.” Sapphire looked and almost immediately Violet had her right foreleg around Sapphire’s neck and pocked a soft spot near her ribs with the tip of the dagger. “This is another vital spot. Right here is an opening in your ribs. A small blade here is sure to go right to the heart and if not that the lungs.” She let Sapphire got again. Now her neck was throbbing and she rubbed it as she turned to face Violet. She smiled, flipped the dagger, caught it by the blade and offered it to Sapphire. “Knife fighting isn’t about getting the most cuts in.” Sapphire took the blade as Violet added. “It’s about accuracy and going for that sweet spot.”

Sapphire sheathed her dagger and nodded politely. “Thank you Violet, I’ll…I’ll remember what you showed me today.”

Violet’s smile faded and she put a hoof on Sapphire’s shoulder. “Hay just keep in mind what I showed you is only for self defence.” She patted her shoulder and began to walk back to the camp. As she did so she added as she passed Sapphire. “I mean don’t get any crazy ideas, It’s not like I’m teaching you to be an assassin or anything haha.”

“Ha ha Ok?” Sapphire said as she followed Violet back to camp. “I’ll keep that in mind to.”

“Oh snap!” Violet yelled, turned back and picked up her sword. “Oops haha almost forgot this. I guess I was having so much fun I nearly left this. Ah Theran would rip me a new asshole if I did that eh ha.” She smiled. “Don’t get me wrong though Theran is a great guy you just need to get to know him and you’ll see.”

“You like him don’t you?” Sapphire asked. She had a feeling there was more to this.

Violet’s cheeks started going a light pink and she glanced away. “Uh I um…like him…in the sense he’s a nice guy um with those big ears.” She looked completely away and bit her lip. “Can uh we drop this subject now?” She asked Sapphire, not making eye contact.

Sapphire was confused to all hell now but she nodded and said unsure. “Um…alright?”

“Great!” Violet said rather loud and she was pulling a funny face. Then she looked ahead. “Oh look Theran and Haze have packed up. Come on let’s get going wouldn’t want to keep them waiting.”

Violet trotted on ahead while Sapphire smiled and said to herself. “Yeah, she’s into him alright hehe.”

(Violet)

After Theran and Haze packed the bedding they all had a quick breakfast before heading off on the road. Violet had her favourite a lattes and peanut butter sandwich. It wasn’t really meant for breakfast but it was all she had other than an apple. Haze had some of cookies Lilly made for her and she also shared a few of them with Sapphire. Theran had his favourite a cheese roll though he cheated by heating it up with his magic. After filling their bellies they set out. Violet carried her sword, saddle-bag and her bed roll. Haze only had her saddle-bag while Sapphire carried both heir’s and Haze’s bed rolls. Haze had asked to carry her own but Sapphire insisted, something about not being a burden and pulling her weight. As for Theran well he was the heaviest out of all of them. He had his armour, his weapons, his saddle-bag, bed roll and that bow he carried too. Yet he never broke a sweat. She knew he used to be some sort of Merc or so he said though it never really seemed to fit. Sure he looks like a Merc, he sometimes acts like one too but he doesn’t fight like one. Violet suspected he was telling fibs but who was she to judge. All though she wished he would lighten up. He was such a grump it sometimes nagged at her mind. What did he have to be grumpy about? Sure the Barrier land was a shit hole she had to admit that but she made the most of things. Ever since Theran had freed her from her slavery never in her life had she been so happy. Everyday was a new adventure to her something to look forward to but Theran…he didn’t see it that way and she wondered why.

While Haze and Sapphire chatted about vampires Violet started playing her cards and tried to make Theran talk. “Sooooo…” Violet said right next to him. “Why the long face?”

Theran glanced at her. He wasn’t wearing his helmet so it was easy to tell he was annoyed by the question. “What are you talking about?” He asked in a glum, bored voice.

Violet bumped his side and he seemed to waken up. “You’ve been sulking ever since we left camp. Is there something on your mind?”

“No.” Theran stated. “There is nothing to talk about.”

Violet huffed. He wasn’t going to win that easy. “Oh really? Me thinks otherwise.” She elbowed his side. “You got to lighten up we’re going to see the Heartland Theran the Heartland.” She waved her hoof to the sky. “I’ve heard it’s a beautiful land full of wonderful things and let’s not forget you were the one who planed this whole thing. So why the face?”

Theran sighed glumly. “Look if I smile will you get off my back?”

Violet frowned at him. “No I don’t want you to just smile I want you to have some fun, you know enjoy yourself.” She started hopping as they moved down the road. “Look around, smell the air just live for a change.” She turned to Haze and Sapphire and asked. “Hay Haze know any songs that could cheer grumpula here up?”

Haze looked confused. “Huh?”

“You know a cheery song any song the first one that pops in your head.” Violet was literally jumping now.

Haze looked to be thinking hard. “Uh I think I remember an old nursery song back when I lived in the Heartland. Um it went like uh…” She cleared her throat and started to hum it a bit then started saying it. “Uh always look on the bright side of life.” She made a few happy whistles and repeated the same line.

Violet liked this song it was perfected. “Great you sing it too Sapph.” Sapphire slowly but surely joined in until she was in rhythm with Haze. Soon even Violet was singing it and Theran looked he was about to blow a gasket. They kept it up till Theran rolled his eyes, smiled and with very little effort joined in. Violet was beaming she had finally done it. They sang and sang and more and more Theran looked like he was brightening up getting louder and more cheerful. Suddenly he stood on his back legs and took Violet’s forehooves in his. Violet was surprised as they started dancing but… “Uh Theran I…I don’t know how to dance!”

Theran laughed as he made her move awkwardly around. Haze and Sapphire were laughing also. Theran gave her a confident grin. “Well then Missy I’m just going to have to teach you how to.”

Violet blushed and she bit her lower lip. “Uh well uh…”

“What’s wrong Vi?” Theran asked in a teasing why. “Speechless?”

Violet’s cheek were red hot and she felt her butterflies in her stomach. She let out a little squeak and giggled as they spun around and around. Theran suddenly lowered her near the ground so fast she yelped. He held her there and he looked her in the eye. She was so transfixed by his gaze she didn’t notice Haze and Sapphire staring at them in stunned silence. It was suddenly getting hotter and she could feel her heart start to beat faster. The butterflies in her stomach felt like a swarm now and she could barely breathe. She attempted to speak. “Um Theran can…can I tell you something?”

Theran blinked and he was now blushing. “Um yeah?”

She for some reason couldn’t find the words. “I…I uh…I think…”

Before she could ask what she always wanted to ask, she heard something like a zipping sound then an impact. Sapphire yelped loudly and Violet and Theran looked at her. Haze was also starting at her as a red dart was sticking out her shoulder. “Guys?” Sapphire asked dully. “I don’t feel so good.”

She collapsed and Haze looked shocked. “Sapphire are you…” Another zipping sound came and another red dart came out of nowhere and imbedded itself in Haze’s neck. “Ouch what the…” She didn’t get a chance to say much as she too fell to the ground. Her disguise vanished in a puff of green flame.

“What the fuck!?” Theran shouted. He was about to right Violet when a third heavier zipping sound came and what hit Theran right in the throat wasn’t a dart but an arrow.

He dropped Violet and she fell over, rolling onto the belly. She lay there in stunned horror as she watched more arrows hit Theran, some bouncing off his armour but the rest went in its gaps. “NO!!” Violet screamed, as she sprang to her legs. Something hit her flank and she grunted in angry pain. She looked at her flank to see a dart. Her vision became blurry in seconds but she growled and fought against it. Dizzy and swaying from side to side she willed herself to reach Theran. He was sitting there panting, eyes wide open in pain as he tried to pull out the arrows. Violet stumbled and righted herself only for her knees to buckle falling once more, hitting the ground with an angry thud. She growled furiously as she fought to keep her eyes open. She crawled to him. “No no…” She growled through gritted teeth. “Not now…not ever!”

She heard hoof steps behind her and all around her. Ponies in brown and black gear trotted into view. They didn’t look like bandits they were too well equip. They were masked and some of them loomed over Haze and Sapphire while three of them approached Theran. Violet kept growling the sheer effort it took to stay awake some unbearable. One of them a black and white Unicorn Stallion walked up to Violet with a smug look on his face. Yes unlike the others this one wasn’t wearing a mask. He looked at her with his green eyes and said in an Aussie accent. “Well guys look what we have here a Sheila that won’t stay down.” He smiled at her. “Am impressed lass truly I am you got that fighting spirit.” He then turned to Theran who was glaring at him with rage plastered on his face. “Ah and this must be thee lethal Theran Razorblade, I finally get to meet you.” Theran growled at him and coughed up some blood as he did. “You have no idea how hard it was to get you where ah wanted you. The years me and ma buds here planed to nab you was just infuriating but then you went and did the best thing. You gather up your posie and then just walked right into our hooves. I must admit I’m rather disappointed I was expecting more from this but meh can’t get everything.” Theran crocked something and the guy pricked his ears. “I’m sorry what was that?”

Theran breathed deeply as he wheezed out a single word. “WHY!?”

“Business mate.” He shrugged and pulled out a long, thin knife. “Nothing personal just a job that’s paying us a lot of bits like enough to make us for life. Ah don’t know who you pissed off mate but I’m sad to say they also offered a bounces.” He branded his knife and held it up. “Sorry mate but it’s lights out for you cause who ever wants you wants you limp and ripe as a gold fish.”

He raised the blade above his head and brought it down hard, stabbing it through Theran’s shoulder, passed his collarbone and into his heart. “NO!!!” Violet screamed with all her heart as Theran’s eyes twitched a few times and then he went limp but his head stayed stiff. Violet kept on screaming as the blade was pulled out, screamed as arterial blood squirted from his neck and she screamed as he slumped to the side and did not move. Violet whimpered loudly as she tried to crawl her way over to him but her limbs weren’t don’t as they were told. “No he can’t be dead.” She thought as Theran’s dead eyes stared back at her. “He can’t be.” It’s not fair it wasn’t fair. “This isn’t happening this can’t be real!” Violet screamed in her mind.

The guy flicked his knife, slid it back in its sheath and approached her. “Hay shh, shh there, there.” He grabbed her mane and made her look into his cold, heartless gaze. He smiled and said in a calm voice. “After always look on the bright side of life.”

Violet’s eyes twitched with rage, she wanted to reach up and break his neck but the drug in her system had finally overwhelmed her. She looked at Theran one more time, staring at his cold blue eyes before heir’s forced themselves shut and a world of darkness washed over her.