• Published 27th Nov 2013
  • 702 Views, 12 Comments

Hearthfire The Sands Of Time - Predman1227

  • ...
6
 12
 702

Chapter 25:Violet's Heaven

Chapter 25:Violet’s Heaven


(Summer Haze)

(10 years ago)

It was night and Little Summer Haze was playing in the living room of her home in Canterlot. She was playing with a brightly coloured wooden box with shapes different shapes cut into it. Haze had similar shapes in her hooves and she was trying to figure out what fits what hole. She loved this game since the box was so complex with one hole for one shape she would normally spend hours with it.

While she played her Mother was in the room with her sitting on the couch reading a book and sipping on some warm tea. She looked from her book to her daughter and smiled lovingly at her, watching as she put the shapes in the right holes. She then looked up at the clock in the room and said warmly. “Summer it’s passed your bed time.”

“Just a little longer.” Haze moaned in an adorable way, waving her tiny hooves in the air. “I want to see Daddy before I go to bed.”

Her Mother sighed happily, putting her book down and her tea. She then got up and sat down beside Haze. “I know you want to see Daddy but he might be working late tonight.”

“But WHY!!??” Haze whined.

Her Mother chuckled with a little cough, then lay on the floor so she was level with her daughter. “Because his job is very demanding and sometimes he has to work extra hours.”

“That sounds dumb.” Haze stated with a pout.

Her Mother giggled and softly coughed again. For a while now she had been coughing and seemed very tired. But she was still smiling. “Yes sweetie it is pretty dumb, but that’s how the world works sometimes.”

“Why?” Haze asked with her big adorable eyes.

Her Mother simply ruffled her little blue mane with the same warm smile. “Well sometimes things just happen and sometimes we can’t do anything about it.” She booped Haze on her little nose. “But you’re still young. Someday you’ll be a smart, confident Mare with a life of your very own and only then will you understand. But for now it’s time for bed.”

Just as she said that, the door to their home opened and the sounds of hooves entered with the rattling of keys being hung up on the wall. “Daddy!” Haze cheered in delight as her Father walked through the living room door.

His black and blue mane was all mess and he looked tired. “Ello there sweetie. What are you doing up so late, huh?”

Haze got up and waddled over to him excitedly. “I was waiting for you. I wanted to see you.”

“Awww.” He sat down and picked her up. “Little Hazzy wanted to see her Daddy.” He nuzzled her cheek and she let out little adorable giggles. “Well I’m here now. Oh and I got a surprise for you.” He held her in one foreleg as he got something out his saddle-bag and showed it to her. “I backed you a cookie.”

“COOKIE!!!” Haze squealed with delight but was short lived by her Mother’s stern voice.

“Oh no, not at this hour.” She got up. “It’s too late and she'll get a tummy ach.”

“Relax.” Her Father said so confidently. “It’s just a small one.”

Her Mother didn’t back down. “No it’s too late and you now the rule, no sweets at night.”

“But…” He tried to protest but was shot down by a strong glare from his wife. “Fine.” He admitted defeat. “Come on Sweetie time for bed.”

“Awwww” Haze protested.

“Ah none of that or no cookie in the morning.” Her Father declared

Haze huffed with a pout and crossed her little forelegs over her chest as she was carried to her room. When they were up the stairs and into her room her Father placed her in her small bed and tucked her in. “Goodnight my little Summer Haze.” Her Mother said in a soft whisper.

Before they could leave Haze asked. “Wait.” They both looked at her. “Could you sing me a song?”

Her Mother and Father smiled as they sat next to the bed and looked down on her. “Ok Summer, just for you.” Her Mother began the song. “Hush now quiet now.”

Then her Father joined in. “It’s time to rest your sleepy head.”

Then together. “Hush now quiet now it’s time to go to bed.”

(Present Day)

Haze’s head wouldn’t stop spinning and the pain was near unbearable. She had woken up some time last night after she passed out but couldn’t remember what happened. She fell asleep shortly afterward and now she woke up again to the sounds of voices that made the pain in her head worse. She couldn’t pin point where the voices were and she didn’t want to open her eyes to see.

A shadow pasted over her and she squinted one eye slightly open. What ever made the shadow wasn’t there anymore but to her relief she wasn’t assaulted by blinding light. It was still dark but there was a small amount of morning light in the sky above. How long had she been asleep?

Her vision was a little blurred but she made out shapes and colours. She immediately recognised the black, light grey and red blob as Theran sitting by an orange glow. While the other blob was a large brown one with red dots for eyes. Why couldn’t she see properly? While pondering this she discovered she was leaning her back on something warm and something feathery covered her body. When she tried to move the thing she was learning against flinched and pulled her back. Haze got a fright and tried to struggle till a familiar voice spoke quietly but firmly in her ear.

“Haze?! Woha there take it easy it’s just me.”

“Sapphire?” Haze realised now she was laying against Sapphire. “Wh-what’s going on? Where’s my bed roll?”

Haze didn’t notice before but she now realised Sapphire had her hooves resting on Haze’s shoulders and were keeping her in place. “Theran and Vi didn’t find our stuff last night.” Sapphire’s voice seemed wary “You needed something soft to rest your head on so…I volunteered to be your…pillow.”

Haze’s head was too groggy to think about what that meant and she tried to find a certain white, pink and brown blob that wasn’t there. “Where’s Violet?” She asked, the back of her skull throbbing in pain.

“She went off to find some food. She hasn’t been gone long.” Sapphire answered, shifting slightly for some comfort.

Haze grumbled with irritation at the thought of food, what she would give for some tender oak leaves and some water. The sound of hoof steps made Haze snap out of her musing and her tired eyes fixed on Theran. He became clearer as he approached. “Haze you are…”

A sharp pain went through her skull and Haze covered her ears in torment. “ARRRAAAAHH not so load!” Haze yelled as the pain gnawed at her brain.

Theran huffed and lowered his voice. “You are band from using magic till your wound heals.”

Haze didn’t need this, she felt so sick right now after receiving that jolt of pain. She didn’t notice Violet return from her foraging but noticed when she announced her presence loudly. “Hay guy guess what I found while…”

Sapphire shook her head and made a slicing motion over her neck to signal her to pipe down. “PLEASE MAKE THE NOISE STOP!!!” Haze yelled as she continued to press her hooves over her ears.

Violet approached them and looked at Theran in confusion. “What’s up with her?” She asked Theran in a low voice.

“She appears to still be in pain.” Theran pointed out.

“WELL DUH!!!!” Haze shouted and more pain assaulted her skull. She curled up in a ball against Sapphire and grit her teeth as the pain continued to throb without mercy.

“I thought she’d be find after some rest.” Violet stated, looking at Theran with a judging look.

“Hey dinny blame me I’m nay doctor.” Theran countered. “I only know basic medical stuff ok.”

“How hard did she hit her head?” Violet asked in concern.

Theran shrugged. “I dinny ken I only went off of what Sapphire told me.”

They both looked at Sapphire now. “Woha hey don’t pin this on me I don’t know shit about medicine or wound treatment.” She shrugged. “I just know Haze hit her head hard enough to get knocked out.”

Haze thought about this when her head eased up and something occurred to her. She straightened up against Sapphire and said. “I…I might know what it is.” She forced her eyes open. “Check my eyes.” She asked.

Theran and Violet looked at each other uncertain but did what she asked. They loomed over her and peered into her eyes. “Well, they’re very blood shot.” Violet described. “And…wow that’s really weird.”

Haze felt her cheeks heat up with nervousness. “What…what do they look like?”

Violet looked from Haze’s right eye to her left and then glanced at Theran. “Your right eye looks normal…but your left pupil is very…small?” She looked confused. “How dose that make sense?”

“I know what it is.” Haze stated as she came to realise most of the pain was on the left side of her head. “I have a concussion.”

“A concussion?!” Theran stated in concern. “You certain of this Haze?” He asked.

The pain in her head throbbed in one spot, right where her head had impacted the rock wall. “Yep…” Haze groaned. “Pretty sure now. My Auntie Stela was a Nurse. She…she told me about it one time…the symptoms.” Remembering her Auntie’s word brought more than physical pain, it was also emotional.

“Is that bad?!” Sapphire squawked as she wrapped her forelegs around Haze’s neck and choked her a little, to her dismay. “Is Haze gunna…”

“NO SAPPH!!” Haze yelled in anger and pried Sapphire’s hooves from her throat. “I’m not gunna die.” She said that but she had her own doubts. If it was really bad and her brain was bleeding internally or swelling up, there would be little hope for her out here.

Sapphire was still worrying. “But what dose this thing you said mean?”

Haze sighed heavily as she pressed her hoof to her head. “Means my brain got rattled in my skull…AHHH it shouldn’t be too bad I hope.”

“How long dose a concussion last?” Violet asked, looked at Theran. He just shrugged.

“Normally a few days.” Haze said as she let out a deep sigh. “But how long was I asleep?”

“Nearly five hours.” Theran stated.

“Then the pain should stop in about fifteen hours. GREAT!!” Haze rolled onto her side and let Sapphire wrap her in a hug as she closed her eyes and hid her face from the rising sun.

Sapphire looked at Theran with deep concern. “Can’t you do anything? Like a spell o-or something?”

“No.” Theran stated. “My magic can only heal flesh wounds not blunt force trauma.”

While Haze wallowed in her misery Theran looked at Violet. “Uh so (cough) You said you found something, Vi?”

Violet looked at him in confusion for a moment but then remembered when she smiled. “Oh yeah, I found something while looking for food.” She moved off and beckoned them to follow. “Come let me show you, it’s not far.” She sounded really exited about this, whatever it was.

Theran kicked out the campfire and looked at Teven. “Teven you dinny mind carrying Haze for a bit?”

Teven shook her head without question but Haze had other ideas. “NOPE, NOPE!!” She made Sapphire let go of her and she attempted to stand. “I am NOT being pony handled NO I will walk.” She stumbled and Sapphire despite her own pain and injuries stood up quick to support Haze. Her head was spinning and she felt so weak.

“You’re not getting to decide that Haze.” Theran stated.

“And besides…” Teven chimed in with a cheeky grin. “I am not a pony.” Before Haze had a chance to protest any further, Teven picked her up and cradled her in one arm, with her paw under her stomach. “Come now little hoofling let’s go for a walk.”

“Hay!” Haze moaned, as she didn’t like where Teven’s paw was, as it was a little too low for comfort. “Watch where you put your claws, OW that hurt.”

Theran laughed hysterically as he watched her be babied by a Wolven while Sapphire only giggled as she wobbled along behind them. “Hay slow pocks, you coming or what?!” Violet yelled from overhead.

They moved through the forest and its underbrush following after Violet. Haze hated being carried, it made her feel like a foal but at the same time it was reliving. And Teven had such furry arms she would have made the perfect cushion, if it wasn’t for the smell.

They walked for a few minutes till they caught up with Violet and she was waiting for them. “You lot ready?” She asked with barely contained excitement.

“Uh, ready for what?” Theran asked with one side of his brow raised in confusion, but then he sniffed the air. “Wait that smells like…NO WAY!” Now Theran looked excited.

Violet backed up to a bush and pushed it aside with her hoof. She let out an excited giggle then said. “I give you Violet’s Heaven for all your relaxing needs.”

Haze was confused at first but when she looked past Violet, her eyes met something truly remarkable. What Violet had found, was a hot spring. Never in her life had Haze seen an actual hot spring, and it was so big. She had read about them in some old book back in Rest Pit. They were pools that lay on top of volcanic vent or veins and from the looks of it this one was quite active, as bubbles spat and steam emanated from the water.

The group stood in awe, individually marvelling at the sight. “I can’t believe you found a hot spring, Vi.” Theran sounded impressed as he took in a deep breath of the warm, soothing air.

“Well what are you waiting for?” Violet stated as something metal went clunk on the ground. All eyes turned and saw Violet stripping down to nothing.

“Violet what are you doing?” Haze asked in confused disbelief.

As Violet chucked the last of her clothing in a pile and stood naked, she turned and gave them all a cheeky grin. “What? You honestly thought, after finding a hot spring we were just going to leave it without jumping in first?” She laughed. “You’re mad if you thought that.”

Without much hesitation she jumped in the pool of steaming water with a splash. Haze stared in shock and so did the others when Violet came back up from under the water and scream with joy. “WOOOHOOO YEAH!!!” She pushed her dripping mane back and stared at them with the biggest wild, happy smile. “Come on in, the water’s fantastic!”

Haze looked at Theran and he looked at her. “Well, it’s not like I get to do this all the time.” He began taking off his armour. “And I really need a wash.”

While he began to strip, Haze looked at Sapphire who was also taking her clothes off. “You’re going in too?” Haze asked in disbelief once again.

“Sure.” Sapphire stated as she took off her leg warmers. “My body hurts all over and that water look so good.” She tried to take off her torn Jumper but her damaged wing stopped her. “Ahhh…Theran could you give me a hoof?” Without a word, Theran extended one of his hoof blades and cut a straight line down the back of her jumper then cut two more times to free her wings. He then went back to stripping his armour. “Uh…thanks?” Sapphire said slowly and in confusion. “Not like I was going to put it back on.”

Theran just huffed “You’re welcome oh and remember to take that splint off before going in.” He stated.

Haze watched Violet swim around on her back utterly enjoying herself and saw Theran take off the last of his armour and clothing. He looked so weird without anything on, a lot skinnier. She had seen him topless once back in rest pit at the inn but not fully nude. He actually had some faint scars in his silver grey fur, doting his body but they were small, just little white lines. He stood on his hind legs briefly to rub his hooves together before jumping in with a splash.

Violet cheered in delight, forelegs up in the air, as Theran came back up and looked very rigged for a few seconds. “SO FUCKING HOT!!” He cringed through gritted teeth. After a second or so he relaxed and said. “But so bloody good.”

Haze tapped Teven on the shoulder and asked. “Could you put me down now?”

Teven looked at Haze with her blood red eyes. “You sure?” She asked.

Haze nodded and the motion made her head hurt. “Yeah I’m good, not like I’m going far.”

Teven put her down and she wobbled a bit when she first put weight on her hooves, but she balanced herself and steadily walked to Sapphire who was still getting her clothes off. “Damn bandages!” Sapphire swore, as she tugged the nought keeping the bandage attached to her foreleg.

“H-here…” Haze offered. “Let me get that.” She pulled out one of Sapphire’s blades and with a simple cut the bandage fell away. “See, all you had to do was use your blade.”

Sapphire stared at the blade for a second before her brain clicked. “Oh…why didn’t I think of that?” She mused with a giggle. Haze giggled too but it only made her headache. Sapphire got to cutting off the rest of her bandages, holstered her blade and slipped out of her shorts, which made Haze blush slightly.

“It’s ok Haze…” Haze thought to herself. “It’s just your friend…naked.” She was actually blushing a lot now. She continued to speak in her head. “There’s nothing wrong with that, some ponies are naked all the time, I’ve seen them…perfectly normal.” Haze found herself looking over Sapphire’s limbs and felt her heart rate go up a bit. “But she dose have nice legs…wow I never knew she had such toned muscles…”

“Um…Haze?” Haze blinked and snapped out of her weird musing. She noticed Sapphire was blushing ear to ear. “You uh…y-you gunna go in too?” She shyly gestured to the spring where Theran and Violet waited.

“Oh…” Haze was blushing ear to ear as well now as she knew what came next. “R-right uh…” Slowly and awkwardly Haze took off her clothing. First the leg warmers, then her hoodie her shorts and lastly the bandage around her head. It was so cold now without her clothes and it felt so weird but the heat from her cheeks and pounding heart made her forget it.

She looked at Sapphire and noticed she had averted her eyes and her left wing slightly rose. “So uh you um…y-you gunna go in first?” Sapphire asked awkwardly, still making no eye contact.

Haze stood beside her and gave her a nudge with her elbow. “You go in.”

“No you first.” Sapphire insisted with her own elbow.

“No, no I insist.” Haze stated with another nudge, getting a little annoyed.

“No you.” Sapphire.

“You.” Haze.

“YOU!”

A magic aura suddenly surrounded them and they were lifted off the ground. Haze stared over at Theran in shock when she realised his horn was glowing blue. “NO Theran NO…” With a wicked grin Theran hovered them over the water and lightly dumped them in. Haze didn’t go under since the water wasn’t that deep but the sudden heat was a shock to her body as she stiffened up. “AHHHHH!!!” Haze yelled in pain. “YOU JERK!!”

Theran and Violet laughed their heads off while Haze glared at them. She looked to her side and noticed Sapphire’s mane was completely wet and was covering her face. It was kinda funny. After a moment her body adjusted to the heat and it no longer hurt. She felt the bubbles of the water sooth her sore muscles and the warm steam enter her lungs, dulling the pain in her head, allowing her to think more clearly. Her shoulders sagged and sighed a relived sigh as she sat down letting the water do its work.

……………

“Oh my this feels so good.” Haze said as she leaned back a bit, dipping the back of her mane in the water and washing out all the dirt and grime with her hooves.

“I’ll say.” Sapphire stated as she ran her own hooves through her mucky mane. “It’s been a while since I had a decant bath.”

“Really?” Haze asked, astonished. “You could have fooled me, you always look great.”

Sapphire stopped running her hooves through her mane and looked at her in an odd way. “You really think so?” Sapphire asked in a genuine way.

Haze’s mind froze. “Uh…well I uh…” This was embarrassing, she was given a very simple question and here she was tong tied.

Sapphire seemed to notice this and said with a blush. “I uh…thanks…I-I think look great too, Haze.” She averted her eyes again and said in a low voice. “Better than me anyway.”

Haze was getting odd signals from Sapphire lately. More and more she had been acting strange and it only seemed to happen around her. But it wasn’t only that, Haze sensed…something else going on. She didn’t know how she knew it but she just had this weird feeling tickling the back of her mind. She glanced over at Theran and Violet. They were too busy chatting to each other so Haze tugged Sapphire’s hoof and asked. “Can I talk to you for a minute Sapph…in private?”

Sapphire’s eyes seemed to shrink just for a second in shock, then returned back to normal and she nodded. “Uh, yeah sure?” They floated over to a secluded spot in the spring and sat down near the spring wall, where there were more bubbles. Sapphire seemed anxious as she asked. “So uh…w-what d-do you want to t-talk about?”

Haze at that moment was unsure. She knew what she wanted to say but didn’t really know how to say it. She made the attempt anyway, regardless of how she felt. “I…I’ve noticed you’ve been acting…a little odd lately…more than usual.”

Sapphire’s expression went grim and her cheeks began to turn red again. She let out a giggle. “Odd? I-I’m not acting odd. What an unusual thing for you to say Haze.” From the way she spoke Haze knew Sapphire was nervous and that she was hiding something.

Haze gave Sapphire a look that said she wasn’t buying it. “Sapph you’re being odd right now, you won’t even look at me.”

Sapphire kept her gaze away from Haze. “I…I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Haze narrowed her eyes in irritation. Normally Haze would be more patient with her friend but with her concussion that patients was wearing thin. “Sapph look at me.” Haze stated in a more serious tone. A few seconds passed and when she didn’t answer, Haze put a hoof on her shoulder. “Sapphire!” She said in a stern but quite voice.

Sapphire flinched a little and had an frightened expression on her face. Haze saw this a back off a little. Sapphire hugged her own forelegs, looking a little scared. “Sapphire?” Haze asked in concern now. “What’s wrong, did I do something?”

“N-no…”Sapphire seemed to stutter as if she was cold but that was impossible with the heat that surrounded them. “Y-you’ve done nothing wrong.”

“Then what’s up with you then?” Haze asked in a whisper. She really was confused.

Sapphire still wasn’t looking at her but she did try to speak. “I…I uh…um…” Sapphire looked as if she wanted to curl up in a ball and vanish under the water. “Uuuummmm…” She was blushing so much her face was like a cherry and both her wings were raised slightly.

Haze couldn’t contemplate this properly, her concussion made it so hard to think. Haze buzzed her wings in irritation as she stated. “Sapphire talk to me you’re really worrying me now.” Sapphire bit her lower lip as if to stop herself from speaking and then all of a sudden she sucked in a breath and dove under the water.
Haze was completely gob smacked as she saw her swim away under the water. “What the hay! Sapphire get back here!”

She didn’t come back and Haze felt so disordered it made her angry. She punched the water once in frustration and only served to soak her face. She growled loudly, buzzing her wings in anger when she heard a rumbly female voice. “That one likes you.”

Haze felt her cheeks heat up and she spun around in fright to find it was only Teven. She had removed her armour but still had her leather wrapping and bandages on. She was lounging on the warm rock on the very edge of the hot spring, dipping one paw in the warm water. Haze was confused. “Huh? What do you mean she likes me?”

Teven brought her paw up out of the water and pointed at her. “She is attracted to you. Like a bird is attracted to a fly.”

This puzzled Haze even more. “Wait…are you saying Sapphire want’s to eat me?”

Teven’s eyes widened in surprise and she chuckled. “Oh no little hoofling no, you miss my meaning.” She rolled onto her back and put her arms behind her head, relaxing on the warm rock beneath her. “I am saying she wants you.”

Haze was having difficulty processing this. “What? Wait are you suggesting Sapphire’s a…”

Teven cut her off before she could finish. “I am not suggesting anything young hoofling. I am merely expressing what I have observed. I may not be a Thunderfoot but I can tell when two creatures are…into each other.”

Haze blushed so hard her face became as red as Sapphire’s was a moment ago. What Teven was saying seemed to finally click in Haze’s mind and she felt very uncomfortable. “N-no you must be mistaken uh, Sapphire’s my friend she wouldn’t think of me in that way…” She heard a yelp and looked over to Theran and Violet, seeing Sapphire pop out the water. She continued her train of thought as she watched. “Could she?”


(Violet)

Violet was in the deeper part of the spring and she was enjoying every second of it. The water was so warm and relaxing she floated on her back and imagined herself lying on a cloud. She could have fallen asleep like this if she wanted to as her eyes were closed and she was daydreaming. She thought about Rest Pit and those they left there. She imagined Lilly and Tim caring for their new-born foal, trying to picture what the little one would look like. With its tiny hooves, cute little nose and big heart melting eyes.

She smiled at the thought and wondered what it would be like to have her own foal. She liked the idea and maybe some day in the near future she could, but there was just one problem. She opened her eyes and looked for Theran. She found him quickly, sitting on his own by the spring’s side, washing grime out of his spiky red mane.

She had been dwelling on what he had told her last night and bits of a puzzle she had been trying to figure out for so long, were finally starting to go together. This Ashtrid he had spoken of had at one point in time been his wife and they had been very close. But how close was the question. Close enough that he still had lingering feelings for her even after all this time. There was only one way to find out.

She righted herself in the water and swam over to him till she hit the shallow water. He noticed her and he smiled, which was unusual for him. Violet decided to speak first. “Enjoying yourself?” She asked.

Theran kept his smile as he pushed his mane out his eyes. “Yeah, strange enough I actually am.” He admitted.

Violet put on a smile of her own. “That’s great to hear. It’s not everyday I get to see you actually smile for once.”

Theran huffed at that happily. “Well dinny get used to it now, this is only a one time thing.”

She giggled. “And soon you’ll be back to your same old grumpy self.”

“Yep.” He admitted with no shame.

Violet shook her head in amusement and sat down beside him. She was a little nervous about asking him about his passed wife but deep down she had to know. She coughed once and asked. “So um…about last night…”

“Mmhmm?” Theran acknowledged.

“I was wondering if we could continue where you left off. Is that…ok?” Theran stopped what he was doing and looked at her. He didn’t look angry but nether did he look happy.

“I thought you heard enough last night?” Theran pointed out.

Violet bit her lower lip as she steeled herself. “I…did, but the subject of your…wife, peeked my interest.”

Theran narrowed his eyes ever so slightly. He sighed and sagged his shoulders. “Fine, but only because I still owe you.”

Violet smiled with a ping of guilt and began to ask him questions with as much care as possible. “How…long were you and…Ashtrid, together?”

Theran did that expression again when he went into deep thought. Where he frowned, stopped smiling and stared off into space. “We were together for nearly 65 years. She died at the age of 87.”

Violet’s eyes widened in shock, she wasn’t expecting such a number. “Wow…87!” She said in disbelief. “That’s old. She must of looked after herself well.”

“She did.” Theran seemed amused. “She was always the fitness and neat freak type but she was so nice and so wise. We met when I was 20, she was 22 and from that day we were inseparable.”

“Did you two…ever have any kids?” Violet asked and felt her stomach twist the moment after she said it.

Theran looked down cast now and she knew she had hit a nerve. “We…did have one…a Filly we named Trisha. She looked more like her mother but she did have some of my features and my temper.” He closed his eyes as if reliving a painful memory. “I don’t know what happened to her after her mother died…she had her own life at that point, a job, husband, kids.” He sighed. “She wanted nothing to do with me after Ashtrid passed away, I guess in a way I was dead to her too.”

Violet felt regret now for asking questions. “Wow um…wow…I’m…I’m so sorry Theran.”

“Don’t be.” Theran let out a deep sigh. “It was a long time ago.” He opened his eyes and frowned. “Can I ask you something?” He asked oddly.

Violet raised one side of her brow in confusion. “Um, sure.”

He looked her in the eye. “Why do you want to know so much about my past wife?” His voice was calm and even as he stared right in her soul.

Violet was trapped in a corner now. Should she tell him how she feels? How would he react? Now that Violet knew more about Theran’s past she felt if she told him he would think she was trying to replace his dead wife.

Just when she thought she had no choice but to answer him, something bumped her leg. Violet’s eyes went tiny for a split second before she yelped with fright and sprang out of the water “There’s something in the water!” Violet screamed as she stood dripping wet on the rocky edge of the spring. Theran also looked startled as he backed up.

Suddenly something splashed out from under the water and it was Sapphire. She gasped loudly as she emerged and noticed Theran and Violet giving her death glares.
“Sapphire, what the hell?!” Violet stated as she hopped back in the water. “You almost gave me a heart attack.”

“You? What about me?!” Theran also stated. “It’s not like I can’t still get them.”

Violet rolled her eyes. “Oh shut up you, you can’t even die remember.” Theran just huffed. Even though her heart was pounding, Violet was glad Sapphire popped up when she did, saving her from the awkward spot she was in. She sat back down and asked Sapphire. “Anyway what were you doing sneaking about under the water?”

She noticed Sapphire’s cheeks were red and her wings had stiffened. While Violet raised one side of her brow, Sapphire nervously began to stutter. “Oh u-uh nothing uh j-j-just going form a s-swim hah, hah.”

Violet glanced at Theran and so did he to her, not really buying it. “You sure you weren’t doing something else sugar cube?” Violet asked Sapphire.

“Sugar cube ay?” Theran mused. “That’s a new one.”

Violet just rolled her eyes in exasperation. “I got it from a Heartlander back at Rest Pit.” Violet admitted. “Some young yellow Mare named Apple something, I don’t know.”

“Whatever.” Theran sighed. “I’m done in here anyway.” He got up, climbed out the water and shook himself off.

As he went over to his gear Violet turned back to see Sapphire trying to sneak away. “Hey we’re not done missy!” Sapphire froze and slowly turned her head to look at Violet. She motioned Sapphire to come back over to her and she did reluctantly. “Now…” Violet began to say as she put a foreleg around Sapphire shoulders and pressed her to her side so she couldn’t escape. “What’s got you so flustered?”

Sapphire looked like she was going to be sick and Violet really hoped she didn’t, she just got clean. “I…I uh…” She was shaking and this worried Violet.

“Hey what’s the matter?” Her hold on Sapphire became more of a comfort than a restraint as she could feel Sapphire heart hammering in her chest.

“It’s Haze.” Sapphire said in a whisper.

Violet frowned and looked over to where Haze was. Haze looked perfectly fine as she chatted to Teven, who was relaxing on some rocks. “What about Haze?” She looked at Sapphire again and she was covering her eyes with her hooves. “Sapphire what’s wrong? You’re really starting to…”

“I have a crush on her.” Sapphire blurted in a quiet sob.

It all made sense now and Violet felt herself relax. “Oh…I see…well didn’t see that coming.”

“Please don’t tell her.” Sapphire begged, looking straight into Violet’s eyes.

Violet merely put her hoof behind Sapphire’s head and guided it into a comforting embrace. “Shhh it’s ok, I won’t tell her, girl’s promise.” She stroked her blue mane as Sapphire wrapped her forelegs around Violet’s waist.

“I think she’s starting to figure it out.” Sapphire sobbed into Violet’s chest as she slowly calmed down. “What do I do?”

Violet pondered that as she looked over at Haze. “Well if you feel this strongly about it then perhaps you should tell her, when you feel ready to that is.”

“But what if she doesn’t…you know…swing that way?” Sapphire asked as her breathing became normal again and she lifted her head up, to look at Violet’s face.

Violet wasn’t sure. She had known Haze since she was a filly and practically raised her but never really figured out her…sexual preference, if she had one. With her being half changeling there was a number of possibilities. Violet just shrugged. “Well…you’re just gunna have to find out yourself, cause I don’t know I’ve never asked her.”

Sapphire looked down cast but Violet put her hoof under Sapphire’s chin and made her look at her. “Hay don’t worry too much. I’m sure Haze will understand when you tell her.”

Sapphire seemed to consider this and slowly nodded, when something occurred to her. “Wait you’re not mad that I…uh fancy your niece?”

Violet chuckled and Sapphire looked puzzled. “Oh Sapph you’re so adorable. No I have no problem with it cause I know you and trust you.” She put a hoof on her shoulder. “And if it goes well when you tell her, you have my blessing.”

Sapphire’s eyes seemed to light up with joy as she embraced Violet in a bare hug. “OOOOOHHH Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

Violet’s eyes widened as her airway narrowed. “Sure thing Sapph…glad to help!” She choked.

Sapphire let her go and Violet felt the air return to her lungs. “Sorry I’m just so happy now, this really helped with my anxiety.” She paused as another thought occurred to her. “Wait what will Theran think? I already know he doesn’t like me much.”

Violet laughed. “Oh Sapph don’t you worry about him, if he says anything I’ll deal with him ok.”

“You promise?” Sapphire asked, looking a little nervous again.

Violet smirked and raised her hoof to Sapphire. “Let’s hoofbump on it.” Sapphire gave her a confident grin and together they hoofbumed. “That’s my girl.” Violet cheered.

“Come on time’s up!” That was Theran and when Violet looked over to him, he was already fully kited up and looking like his normal self, though a lot more clean.

“Well…” Violet sighed and got up. “Looks like relax time is over.” And hopped out the spring, giving Sapphire a hoof a long the way.


(Theran Razorblade)

As Theran checked over his armour making sure all the parts were in the right places, Haze, Violet and Sapphire were drying off. It felt good to relax for a while, it helped him think about what they will encounter at Splinter Bay. They were going to need a plan at some point but at the moment Theran had nothing. The only think he knew was they were going to have to be extra careful since the teens were injured.

He watched them, as they got dressed. Haze was just finishing adjusting her leg warmers, Sapphire was making sad faces at her destroyed jumper and Violet was halfway strapping on her steel plating. His eyes fell upon her the most, he couldn’t help it. Other Stallions or Mares wouldn’t really call Violet the most appealing Mare in the world, cause of her almost ruffian appearance. But that didn’t matter to Theran, sure he liked pretty Mares who wouldn’t but to him it was more than about looks.

He knew her in more ways than one and as he watched her strap on the last of her armour he couldn’t help but admire her.

“She will die.” The voice at the back of his mind whispered. “Nothing can stop it…not even YOU!”

Theran shook his head to banish the voice, when Violet tapped him on the shoulder. “Hey?” Theran was slightly startled as he flinched at her touch. She looked concerned after he did that. “Theran are you ok?”

“Yeah I’m fine.” He lied. “Was just in deep thought is all.” He rubbed his temple with his hoof and felt annoyed at the absence of his helmet. He wished he had it to hide what he was thinking but it was attached to his saddle-bag which he had dropped.

Violet’s gaze cast to the ground as she slowly nodded. “Ah I see. Wanna talk about it?” She asked. Theran shook his head without a word and Violet back away. “Oh…ok…well if you ever need to talk I’m right here.”

“Thanks Vi.” Theran said and he meant it too. He looked to Teven. “Teven?” The big Wolven now armoured again, approached him. “Scout ahead, make sure it’s clear.”

Teven nodded, went on all fours and darted into the forest. Theran then looked to the group. Sapphire had discarded her jumper so she was now bare chested but Haze had given her, her cloak for extra warmth. Violet was staring off into the Forest, keeping watch no doubt.

Theran decided to check on a few things, manly their injured teenagers. “Alright, Haze, Sapph come here.” They looked at him then looked at each other. “It’s alright you’re not in trouble.”

“Ok?” Haze stated in confusion.

They approached him and stood in front of him waiting for him to speak. He looked over at Violet. “Vi could you take a look at Sapphire’s wing while I check Haze?”

“Sure.” Violet happily agreed and ushered Sapphire over to her while Theran looked over Haze.

“Sit.” He instructed bluntly. Haze sat and so did Theran. He put his hooves on the sides of her head gently and looked at her eyes. “How’s your head feel?” Theran asked sincerely.

Haze kept still as he checked her and answered his question. “Still sore but at least I can walk without stumbling now. That spring really helped.”

Theran made a little “Hmmm” sound as he looked and compered her eyes. The right side was normal but the left was still small. “Ok well your eyes still havny gone back to normal yet so I suggest you take things slow, at least for a day or two.”

“Uh…ok sure.” Haze agreed awkwardly.

Theran let go of her head and looked her in the eye with a deep sigh. “You know…I almost miss the times you never shut up.”

“Huh?” Haze was puzzled.

Theran smirked. “You know, back when you was just a filly. I would either be talking with Vi, tending the bar for Lilly or doing something for whoever in the inn, and you would always be behind me jabbering on about gods know what. And now that you’re 14, more mature and a lot quieter…I kinda miss it.”

Haze just stared at him oddly. “O…k? That was uh…a little random?”

Theran sighed again. “Ah forget it.” He lightly ruffled her mane and she scrunched her face up in annoyance.

“OU!” That was Sapphire and Theran turned to see her rubbing her wing and a startled Violet. “That hurt.” Sapphire moaned.

“Oh stop being such a wuss I barely touched it.” Violet stated with a stern look in her eye.

“How is she?” Theran asked Violet.

Violet looked in his direction and gave him a smile. “Hot spring loosened her wing up, though I suggest she keeps the splint on till it’s healed properly.”

“Alright Vi do your thing.” Theran acknowledged. While Sapphire moaned and groaned as Violet bandaged her wing, there was a rustling sound and Theran turned swiftly, hoof on his sword hilt but it was only Teven. “Teven. The way clear?” He asked her.

Teven had a few berries in her left paw and she was eating them as she approached. “Nutin around fur mowls.” She garbled as she chewed her little snack.

Theran was confused when he didn’t catch what she said. “Sorry what?”

Teven swallowed and repeated herself. “There is nothing around for miles. The way is clear.”

“Good work.” Theran said gratefully and Teven gave him a respectful nod. “Alright!” Theran turned back to the group. “Listen up!” They all looked toward him as he spoke. “We’ll be heading to Splinter Bay soon but first let’s have something to eat.” He looked at Violet. “Vi show us what you got?”

Violet smiled and from under a bush she dragged out a large leaf and on the leaf was snow fruit. They were accentually berries but they were immune to the winter’s cold and actually lived off of it. “It’s not the best but it was all I could find.” Violet admitted as she brought the leaf to the middle.

“Are you sure those are safe to eat?” Haze asked as she looked at the berries with a picky expression.

Violet gave Haze a scary stare. “No Haze I’m trying to poison you.” Haze and Sapphire looked a little frightened while Teven stopped chewing and stared at the berries in her paw but after a tense moment Violet laughed. “I’m just joking, they’re perfectly safe though not very filling.”

“It’ll have to do.” Theran stated with a groan. He wasn’t a fan of berries. “Well eat up, we’re moving in ten.”

………..

The group had their fill of the berries, Violet was right they weren’t very filling but provided the energy they needed. Then they all took a quick last minute toilet break then headed out. Theran was up front with Violet while Haze, Sapphire and Teven took up the rear. The sun had risen in the morning sky, bathing the forest in warm light, which was a sigh of relief for Theran. For once the sky was clear and he could actually see the blue above. But he didn’t have the luxury to sight see. They had to figure out where they were and without a map, it made that job ever harder.

They got back to the camp and everyone stopped. Theran looked at Violet. “Vi we need to figure out where the road is. Any ideas?”

Violet frowned and tapped her chin in thought. She looked up and pointed at the top of the cliff. “There, that looks like a good spot to get a lay of the land.” She then looked around puzzled. “Uh…how do we get up there? We could go around?”

“That’ll take too long.” Theran declared and looked at Teven. “You think you could climb that?” He asked her.

Teven looked up the cliff. It was about 100merets high and was quite a deadly fall, but Teven made a wicked grin. “Think it? I know it.”

Without so much as a running start Teven used her long, muscular legs to leap onto the cliff wall and sink her claws into it. Then without pause she quickly bounded up the cliff wall with little effort. “Wow, now that’s impressive. Just imagine how heavy she is with that armour and she can do that.” Violet admitted as she watched Teven in awe.

“That’s Wolven for ya.” Theran said with a smirk. “Perfect predators, completely adapted to their hash environment.”

“Sounds like you admire them.” Violet assumed with a hint of distain.

“Well, I am half Wolven.” Theran pointed out. “But I mostly admire their sheer will power. You’ll be surprised the level of endurance a Wolven is capable of, it’s actually pretty scary.”

“To the peek of the tallest mountain and the cold of a raging storm. Endure and survive.” That was Haze and Theran gave her an odd look. She noticed this and shrugged. “What? It’s a quote from a book I read.”

Theran just shook his head in amusement and looked up to see Teven reach the top. “Do you see anything?!” Theran yelled up to her.

Teven had her paw above her eyes as she peered into the distance. “I see a road
!” She called down. “It is not too far AND I see a river farther a few miles down.”

“Alright!” Theran called. “Come back down so we can get moving!”

Teven descended quicker than she did going up, almost sliding her way down and using her claws like breaks. When she hit half way she jumped and landed with such an impact it shook the ground beneath their hooves.

“Lead the way Teven.” Theran asked and she nodded.

She moved ahead with Haze and Sapphire behind her. Theran was about to move to when Violet put a hoof on his shoulder and stopped him. She spoke in a hush but frantic tone. “You sure that’s a wise decision? What if she leads us to our deaths?”

“Not this again.” Theran thought in annoyance. He shrugged her off. “Vi it’s safe. She won’t harm us.”

“How do you know that?” Violet asked in anger. “I for one don’t trust her.”

“I’m not asking you to trust her.” Theran stated sternly and turned his head to look at her. “I’m asking you to trust me. You do trust me, right?”

Violet looked shocked and slightly offended. “Yes of coerce I trust you, you ninny. Why would…know what never mind, forget it.”

She stormed off after Teven and the two teens while Theran was left puzzled. “What th…Mares.” Theran sighed with a shake of his head and moved to catch up with them.

…….

They walked for about 15 minutes or so and all was oddly quiet. Haze and Sapphire walked side by side but didn’t talk which was odd for them. Haze would normally be talking about Wereponies by now but was silent. He guessed getting battered and bloodied by wooden monsters would put a damper on your mood. But still he would of preferred to hear some chatter.

He was walking beside Violet and she hadn’t been talking either. When he looked at her this time, her expression wasn’t angry or even annoyed. She actually looked a little tired and maybe bored.

He decided things had been quiet long enough and made a loud cough. “So, Vi? What’re you thinkin about?” He asked.

Violet almost seemed startled by the random question but she did her best to answer. “Uhra…um…I was just thinking…I was just…” Her expression brightened suddenly and she looked more awake as she put on a smile. “I was just thinking of the time a box of coco powder landed on your head back in Rest Pit.” She giggled. “You were completely covered in it and even when you cleaned up everypony kept asking why they could smell chocolate.”

Theran smirked and stifled a laugh. “Yeah well it had to happen some time. Say didn’t you have a similar accident? Where Lilly was trying to teach you cooking, only for, whatever it was you were cooking, to blow up in your face. I remember it being gooy.”

“It was a cake.” Violet admitted. “And I may of used too much flower…and a tough of Good Stuff.” She gave Theran a cheeky look. “But that doesn’t even compere to the time when Merry spiked your drink and you thought carrots were coming to life just to eat you.”

Theran gave her a sceptical look. “That one never happened, I would remember.”

Violet gave him a sly look. “What if I told you the side effect was short term memory loss.”

Theran was shocked. “You cheeky little…no way you’re making this up.”

“It’s true.” She looked over at Haze. “Ante that right Haze? Ay he was running around like a daft thing screaming about…” Before she had a chance to finish she tripped over something and let out a yelp when she full face planted the snow.

Theran and the others stopped in surprise. Violet’s flank stuck perfectly up in the air while her head was completely buried under the snow. He was fighting so hard not to laugh but he did let out a few barely contained snickers. What she had tripped on was a bag, a saddle-bag to be accurate. Violet flopped onto her belly and popped her head out of the snow with a dazed expression. Theran leaned in and patted her on the shoulder. “Congrats Vi, you’re now a better tracker than I am.”

He couldn’t contain it any longer and burst out laughing. Violet gave him a death glare so lethal he swore he could feel his head burning. Or was it the laughter. “You done yet?” Violet asked in a very serious manner.

“Not by a long shot.” Theran stated and continued laughing.

“Screw yourself with a spoon Theran, just…fuck you.” Violet was so angry he swore he saw the snow melting on her head.

Theran got a hold of himself and offered her a hoof. “Ok I’m sorry.” He said with a wink. Violet looked surprised but then smiled, taking his hoof. He helped her up and she brushed herself off. “But seriously that was priceless.” He said with another fit of giggles.

“Oh shut up.” Violet punched his chest plate hard enough he felt winded.

Haze meanwhile was digging through the snow till she pulled out a green saddle-bag. “Hey it’s my bag.” Haze cheered. “Oooohhh how I missed you, now I can read my book next time we camp.”

Theran himself dug through the snow and sure enough he found his, Violet’s and the camping equipment. “Finally.” Theran took his missing helmet of his bag and brushed off the snow. “Was starting to feel naked without this.”

“Why cause it’s the only thing to hide your ugly mug?” Violet joked.

“Hush you.” Theran stated sternly. “This is a special moment. There, there daddy willny lose you again.” He said while patting his helmet lovingly.

“Oh gods you’re so sad.” Violet murmured as she began to strap her bag back on. Theran just huffed.

“Hey?!” All eyes turned to Teven. From the snow she pulled out the rest of the camping equipment in one paw. “Is this stuff important?”

Theran glanced at Sapphire blankly and she noticed this. “HEY I’m not carrying that.” She stated, with a very serious expression.


(Stat System)

Being in the Hot spring has given all characters a positive buff on all categories.

Theran Razorblade:
Strength: 68+10
Endurance: 105+5
Intelligence: 74+2
Agility: 84+5

Perks: (Blood Rage)(Combat Expert)(Quick healer)
(Keen senses)(Sneaker)(Strong back)(Magic expert)(Cheese lover)
(Heavy fit)(Quick reflexes)(Immortal)(Pack Leader)


Violet:
Strength: 73+10
Endurance: 104+5
Intelligence: 71+2
Agility: 70+5

Perks: (Survivor)(Swordsmen)(Strong back)(Strong Stomach)
(Head strong)(Stallion killer)(Swift knife)(Quick reflexes) (Battle Rage)


Summer Haze:
Strength: 16+7
Endurance: 40+8
Intelligence: 73-2
Agility: 26+5

Perks: (Shape shifter)(Love sense)(Natural healer)(Book Junky)
(Cookie monster)(Survival instincts)(Heavy sleeper)(Magic deflect)
(Quick reflexes)(Cannon ball kick)


Sapphire:
Strength: 20+7
Endurance: 34+5
Intelligence: 62+2
Agility: 26+2

Perks: (Hot head)(Heavy hoofed)(Light weight)(Sneaker)(Rebel at heart)
(Two heads)(Fast Flier)


Teven:
Strength: 150+10
Endurance: 200+5
Intelligence: 53+1
Agility: 58+5

Perks: (Battle Born)(Blood Rage)(Keen Senses)(Berserker)
(Duel Wielder)(Savage Blow)(Pain Lover)(Charger)(Deviant)
(Exile)(Paws or Death)(Loyal Servant)