• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 9,951 Views, 338 Comments

My Little Luna - Alcatraz



During a freak thunderstorm, a lightning bolt somehow brings a filly princess to Earth.

  • ...
35
 338
 9,951

Link To Sequel

When I first started writing My Little Luna, quite a few of you expressed interest in a sequel. Well, I can confidently tell you that the sequel to my most popular story is finally here, I call it;

(Link in the name)

Comments ( 64 )
Aku

4429608 There, faved it without reading it, still don't get why it deserves it though?

4509326

Read it and you'll surely discover why :pinkiehappy:

Aku

4509334 Nagh, it has those things I hate in it. you know . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . words. :fluttershbad::raritycry::pinkiesick:











oh, and possible feels. My emotion can't stand them

4511212


[fedora intensifies]

4519548

Also, dude you seriously need an editor. Great story and all, but there are a few mistakes here and there/

This story was entirely written and edited by me. I had a couple friends of mine read it through and point out spelling and grammar mistakes, but that's about it. Apart from that, I don't want to change anything else because this was my first ever story, and I believe leaving it as it makes it unique. Going back through and changing things here and there would ruin it to some extent for the people who have already read it.

The thing that I've consistently noticed is that when people say there's a problem with the story, they never actually say what it is.

4519582

I would have deleted his comment, but I find peoples response to him to be rather entertaining.

4519700
Ah, I can understand that feeling. I have done the same to my old and crappy stories.

4519881

For once, I took notice of someone saying the story has issues.
I went back and fixed all that I could find.

I go into detail in this blog post.

I apologize for my earlier comment. I overreacted when I should have just walked away. For what it's worth, I'm sorry.

4520685

It's quite alright, buddy. Did you get around to finishing the rest of the story?

4523400

Chapter 14 is the original ending, the chapter titled 'Alternate Ending' is just something I wanted to do.

4525447 I might. I'll bear the idea in mind.

4537018 probably MLD due to the dramatic reading by Mic the Microphone I mean Anthropology never got its own PIRL mini movie

good story i read the hole thing it made me almost cry :fluttercry: in some places it is a nice story :twilightsmile:

4583606

Explain what you mean by 'touch', in this context...

As per the review trade we talked about, I'm here with your review from the group: Authors Helping Authors!
You mentioned that you mainly wanted some technical things, so I'm mostly sticking to the recurring formating and grammatical errors that I spotted throughout the fic. In general, however, I do have a few words: I was a little worried after getting through the first part of the fic that, given how similar the protagonist here was to the guy from My Little Dashie, that it would derivative of that other fic, but as I got deeper into the fic, I realized that this fic was more about exploring Luna's character and her unique reactions to the same situations, I became quite intrigued. It may be a worn premise, but you make it work in a as a piece that comments on the genre. Not many fics are interested in addressing the meta-narrative between tales.
Now, onto the stuff I believe you were really interested in.

"Dinner is ready", my brother chimes. 'Ugh, you gave me a heart attack you little worm!', thinking to myself.

The above demonstrates a recurring organizational issue I noticed throughout the fic. It's literary convention to separate to different speaker's dialogue into two different paragraphs in order to avoid confusion and to make things easier on the reader to digest. All it would take is to hit the return button right before " 'Ugh, you gave me a heart attack...' " to fix this detail. It recurs a lot throughout the fic. (Even if your readers can follow who is talking, separating each speaker up by paragraph makes it a whole lot easier).

"Hey dad.", began Luna "Yes, sweetie?"

"Who is Pinkie and why does she make promises?"

My gut drops like the Titanic.
Oh, shit.

Such as this instance too, which also is missing a period after "Luna" and and extra space between the paragraphs "My gut drops..." and "Oh, shit" as per the standard formatting you've been following so far. I'd recommend giving the entire fic a once over to catch all those.

Luna gasps. "In the moon!? Is she there now?" I have to chuckle at that. Closing the laptop and answering Luna. No my darling, she's not on our moon." Hopefully Luna would interpret that as not being real, and she took the bait. "That's good then, 'cause it must be really boring on the moon with nothing to do."

The paragraph above, too, could use some breaking up and be reorganized by speaker. Not sure if you want to do that, because you mentioned you want to keep this as is as possible, but here's another one to consider for your future projects: when you have dialogue attribution (the stuff that follows dialogue), your readers have essentially been trained to look for the speaker's name or pronoun immediately following their dialogue. If someone else is the subject of a sentence that immediately follows someone else's dialogue, they assume immediately that it's their dialogue attribution and will usually get confused or at least stop and re-read the paragraph a few times to figure out who is doing the talking.

"Is it magic?" Luna inquires. "Not quite, but it takes you to all sorts of places, places you can only dream of. Magical places of talking creatures from all around!" Shit, I hope she doesn't pick up on that last part. "Oohhh, sounds fun!"

Here's another one I caught. There's more, but this one demonstrates just how confusing things can get. Here we have multiple speakers and dialogue attribution belonging to two different people all mixed up in the same paragraph. Luckily, if you decide you want to do something about it, the fix is as easy as hitting the return button a few times.

"It's fine" Began the voice.

This one needs a period after "fine".

"Hey dad.", began Luna "Yes, sweetie?"

This one can't decide if it wants to end that dialogue line with a period or a comma. Also, there's no period after "Luna."

"Yes, sorry about that. Me being me I like to make dramatic entrances, that, and I wanted to try that particular mode of materialization instead of the typical way."

I couldn't point out all the missing commas, but following an introductory adverbial phrase, such as "Me being me..." a comma is always, always required. It's a grammar thing, but one that's easy to spot once you know what to look for.

I hope that all helps!

4588011

Religion does have a pretty dark history.

4588035

Your review helped greatly, and I went through and edited all of what you pointed out, and even a few others you seemed to have missed. Since you had the snippets from the chapters out of order from the chapters, it took me longer than it should have to find where all the mistakes were so I could fix them. Even the "Ctrl+F" function proved useless if I wasn't on the right chapter.

None the less, thanks for your time!

Maybe think about taking a look at the sequel, hmm? That one should not have any of the problems this did, and I put extensive planning into it.

4588133
Glad I could help, and sure, I could look at the sequel. But that'd be in a few days from now, as I promised a few others I'd take a look at their work and lend them a hand. For now, I'll add you to the queue.

4588254

Thanks for your help. I look forward to hearing from you!

4614262

Who is Conner and what has he got to do with this story? :rainbowhuh:

4617148 A side story by Ceehoff which is the same author

4616370

It's THE most popular story on this site. When it got written, people decided to see how well they could adapt other ponies into the same genre.

4654916

Something like that :rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

4616370 Immitation is the greatest form of flattery, they say.:ajsmug:

The Library of Humanity is frankly disgusted by your choice...but it can not do anything about it in this event. You have followed our laws, and we must accept this...till a formal suggestion can be made.

4773813

I posted my story in your group, read the rules, but am still in the dark about what choice I made that you're disgusted by?????

4773850 The particular tag. We don't have a tag that fits this particular story. However, it is your choice, so long as you follow the rules.

4774063

I'm afraid I still have no idea what this is about. Could somepony, please, be just blunt with me and say it in the most impolite, yet the most understandable way?

He dead.

4775275

I am always utterly fucking blown away that things I write inspire other people to write their own stories :raritystarry::heart::pinkiegasp::rainbowkiss::yay::derpytongue2:

4793633

That's kind of indeterminate since I never said where exactly the protagonist lives, but the settings I based of several locations I've been to, and I live in New Zealand.

4809514

Thanks for pointing out that error, I fixed it :pinkiesmile:

4841963

It's magic, nobody knows how the fuck it works :rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

4841749 Similar fic, eh. Too right, I myself I'm writing one, but believe me when I say the only thing that makes it look like MLD is the beginning, and maybe not even that. That's not to say this fic isn't good, I liked it

This story was good.

Aw, this story was sorta sweet and really good!! WIsh therewas more, I was like 'Aw, its over already??" ^^

Great job!!

4856129

There is a sequel :3

4866986

You're nine months too late in replying to that :rainbowlaugh:

5275304

It's a reference to Lion King, I was quoting the movie :facehoof:

5275340

I don't know what that is, so no.

5298609
I just rewatched the first few minutes, and it says on the holoposterythingwhichistotallyaword only "Trust me on this"
Also, nice eye of X.A.N.A.

I want to read this, I really do, but I make it a rule to avoid stories with the 'Tragedy' tag.

Some fics mis-apply the tag to mean merely a story in which there are tragic events or backstories, but others apply it to it's more... intended (I believe) meaning... namely, a Tragedy is a story in which the protagonist goes through the thick, the thin, the highs and the lows, only to fail in the end, and come up short.

It's a tag delineating a 'Bad End' as a warning to those who intend to read it.

Considering there's a sequel I'm assuming that this is not the case, but I'd like to know for sure before I start.

5796106 I guess you're right, but I'm on the wall about it. Have a read of however you much deem necessary then get back to me on whether you think it needs the tag or not and if I agree then I'll remove it

5796126

After reading through the story with both original and alternate endings, I've come to the conclusion that the Tragedy tag is altogether unnecessary. The mid-chapters are sad certainly, but do not a tragedy make.

If the ending was, however a failure of the overall conflict of the story rather than a culmination and reoslution (IE Luna was killed, or her father was, or their memories were wiped, etc.) THEN it would warrant use of the Tragedy tag.

Login or register to comment